Export thread

Abridged Shenanigans

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there. Starting up a thread for folks to post stuff related to abridged series, whether the work of Team Four Star or others.

Speaking of which, new episode of DBZ Abridged!

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really need to start watching DBZ abridged. It'll be the only abridged I watch where I've seen the unabridged version.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Attack on Titan is a fantastic abridged but it's still very early on, only a couple episodes.
Hellsing Ultimate is a great abridged series too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

50% off is hilarious. It's "Free!" abridged.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've been a fan of Yugioh abridged since the beginning. SCREW THE RULES I HAVE INTERNET MEMES!

General Specific

General Specific

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I really need to start watching DBZ abridged. It'll be the only abridged I watch where I've seen the unabridged version.
That's actually exactly why I can't get into the other abridged series. There's all sorts of jokes that work much better if you know the material. Plus, I just find the production values on DBZA better than the others out there.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, the Abridged series usually require at least a working knowledge of the source material to get the most out of them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The one I linked doesn't. At least, I haven't seen a single episode of Free! and 50% Off cracks me up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I watched only one episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's not hard to get the gist of it by watching the Abridged series alone.

"I've somehow become critically injured from playing a children's card game."

That's pretty much how it works.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The one I linked doesn't. At least, I haven't seen a single episode of Free! and 50% Off cracks me up.
I'm not saying that they aren't funny without seeing the source material, but there are going to be some jokes that you won't get without being familiar.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

James Farr has been doing some cool mash-ups of different properties in a shortened form.

Bowielee

Bowielee

LOL, Yosche Station

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's the next part of Super Smash Wars.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If anyone here has read Jojo's Bizarre adventure, the AntfishTAS series is REALLY good, though I do recommend reading the original series beforehand. Hell, just read them even if you DON'T want to see the abridged. Though honestly I feel the series peeked at "Stardust Crusaders", after they introduced Stands it just focused WAY too much on them in my opinion.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The final portion of Super Smash Wars is up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife and I spent over three hours watching DBZ Abridged yesterday. We probably missed half the jokes because we were laughing so much at the other half.

I had forgotten so much of the stupid shit that happened on that show. And when you condense some of the fights down like this, even looking at their structure, you can see they go on WAAAAY too long. I can't believe I used to watch the uncut show daily.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Wife and I spent over three hours watching DBZ Abridged yesterday. We probably missed half the jokes because we were laughing so much at the other half.

I had forgotten so much of the stupid shit that happened on that show. And when you condense some of the fights down like this, even looking at their structure, you can see they go on WAAAAY too long. I can't believe I used to watch the uncut show daily.
DBZ Abridged is great and really does a great job dealing with the nonsense that piled up in DBZ.

Also, if you haven't seen it, they have done an episode for DBZ Kai.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Did something happen with the Attack on Titan Abridged? It seemed like it was taking awhile to update and now I don't even see it on the Team Four Star website.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Huh, it would appear that Attack on Titan Abridged has disappeared from their YouTube page as well. I'm pretty sure someone went all sue-threat happy over the content. Companies don't seem to care about fair use anymore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's too bad; it was pretty fucking funny. Now I wish I'd watched it more than once (or hell, downloaded it).

Bowielee

Bowielee

I never got to see it, because I wanted to watch the show first.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Basically, Attack on Titan has a different development schedule than DBZ, so it takes longer. They're expecting Ep. 2 done by early summer.

No word on why the videos are down.

Terrik

Terrik

This episode just proves how kick ass this series is. It doesn't even have to be overly comical--it treats the show's lore right, the voice acting is spot on and hot damn-that was a great ending.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Basically, Attack on Titan has a different development schedule than DBZ, so it takes longer. They're expecting Ep. 2 done by early summer.

No word on why the videos are down.
The latest news update puts AoT Abridged on indefinite hiatus because of legal issues that they can't speak about.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As if we can't fill in the rest of the (legal) story ourselves.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Attack on Titan rights are a complete clusterfuck. They're struggling to bring over the officially licensed video games because the distribution rights aren't situated. Whoever owns the manga is being jerked around like early Penny Arcade.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

TeamFourStar has done another special. This time, it's Cooler 2: The Return of Cooler's Revenge - The Reckoning.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-movie-cooler-2-return-coolers-revenge-reckoning/

figmentPez

figmentPez

Anyone know if the special cameo voice was the real thing, or if it was a really good imitation?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am not sure to the nth degree, though Lee Rastus is most likes a pseudonym as the famous Lee Rastus died in 20-OH-ate.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Anyone know if the special cameo voice was the real thing, or if it was a really good imitation?
Well the credits say he was voiced by Less Rastus, while the voice of Claptrap was done by David Eddings.

Really though, a lot of Claptrap's voice comes from post processing, so all they would need is someone to mimic how Claptrap talks and then use similar settings. Boom. Claptrap.

This is what Claptrap sounds like without any of the post processing. (skip to 2:00 for him giving an example)

I am not sure to the nth degree, though Lee Rastus is most likes a pseudonym as the famous Lee Rastus died in 20-OH-ate.
That is also not a bad point. Could have been David Eddings but he didn't want his real name used for whatever reason. Maybe legal issues at Gearbox.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"He keeps kicking me in the dick. Why? Why does he keep kicking me in the dick!?"

I love DBZA so much.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"He keeps kicking me in the dick. Why? Why does he keep kicking me in the dick!?"

I love DBZA so much.
"Wow... I can't believe every single one of them kicked you in the dick."

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

"That . . . was for . . . mah dick . . ."

PatrThom

PatrThom

You just made me do a double take, @ScytheRexx. I was sure David Eddings was dead.
…and he is, it's just that there are apparently two David Eddingses.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You just made me do a double take, @ScytheRexx. I was sure David Eddings was dead.
…and he is, it's just that there are apparently two David Eddingses.
Apparently there are at least 47 listed David Eddings in the US.
My mind is blown that people would have the same name! ;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That was great. The Scrubs wrap-up was hilarious.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Apparently there are at least 47 listed David Eddings in the US.
My mind is blown that people would have the same name! ;)
The one I thought is from England Nevada*. I guess with that many, the odds of more than one of them being famous go up.

--Patrick
*Nevada, not England. Dunno who I was mixing him with. Huh.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

To any of you poor souls who actually own Dragonball Evolution for home watching, TeamFourStar has released their rifftrack of it for free.

http://teamfourstar.com/podcast/tfs-riffs-dragon-ball-evolution/

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Dragonball Z Kai Abridged episode 2 is up, this time condensing the Frieza Arc to 6 minutes and 47 second.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody-episode-1/

Bowielee

Bowielee

Dragonball Z Kai Abridged episode 2 is up, this time condensing the Frieza Arc to 6 minutes and 47 second.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody-episode-1/
I have a thick... meaty... vagina.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's the YouTube video of DBZ Kai Abridged episode 2, for those to see here:

Terrik

Terrik

That is just the greatest thing.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The latest episode of DBZ Abridged, entitled Cell Service, has now been released.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-43-2/

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And here it is, now in YouTube format.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Is that me stronger than me? I'll KILL ME!"

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ha! I loved Goku's dream.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What I love most about DBZA is that while its a parody, the main villains are still kept as sinister as in the show sometimes even more so.

Also- STOP RUINING YUGIOH!

figmentPez

figmentPez

DBZAbridged alternate scene from episode 44:

"It's just going to go in one ear, get bored and die." Ha!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Don't EVER make excuses for Yamcha!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This may be a bit late, but Hellsing Ultimate Abridged has a new episode!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Since I started doing youtube videos semi-regularly, I've gained a new appreciation for all the huge amounts of effort and time that goes into this sort of project.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Since I started doing youtube videos semi-regularly, I've gained a new appreciation for all the huge amounts of effort and time that goes into this sort of project.
I've edited more than a few podcasts. Even with no video, you go in with that same sort of, "It only took me 30 minutes to record it, so it obvious follows that it should only take 30 minutes to edit it, too" mentality, and then you find out this is SO WRONG.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

New DBZA!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Brilliant as usual.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When do you think they'll get to GT, ten years from now? Or are they just not doing it for the sake of their own sanity? If the latter I...I understand completely.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

When do you think they'll get to GT, ten years from now? Or are they just not doing it for the sake of their own sanity? If the latter I...I understand completely.
I recall hearing somewhere they planned to stop at the end of the Cell Saga. But those plans might have changed. I could see them stopping at the end of DBZ, which would be the Buu Saga, I suppose.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I recall hearing somewhere they planned to stop at the end of the Cell Saga. But those plans might have changed. I could see them stopping at the end of DBZ, which would be the Buu Saga, I suppose.
On one end I'm okay with that, but on the other end I would LOVE to see how they make Buu more ridiculous.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gonna need a senzu bean for that one.

Dear lord I love the lines in this series so much.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There's a new special: History of Trunks.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

HOW DOES IT FEEL RIDING M'DICK?!

Bowielee

Bowielee

"Will dinner bring my husband back?"

"Maybe?"

LOL

GasBandit

GasBandit

I knew the training sequence would involve "DOOOODGE!" and I was not disappointed.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Episode 47 is now up and running.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Man, I wonder how much creepier they're going to make Cell now that he's evolved?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Man, I wonder how much creepier they're going to make Cell now that he's evolved?
Cell gets less creepy the more he evolves.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

But I wonder if the Abridged guys are going to go the opposite with their version of Cell.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Holy fucking shit Tien.

BLOW YOURSELF UP OR LEAVE

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Holy fucking shit Tien.

BLOW YOURSELF UP OR LEAVE
This is the last time he's relevant anyway. The popular fan theory is that he couldn't deal with constantly facing one of the guys who murdered Chao-tzu (who everyone just kind of forgives) and they just kind of go off into the woods to avoid everyone after that. I always thought it was a bit hypocritical though because no one seems to have a problem with Piccolo... not even CHI-CHI and he kidnapped her son/killed her husband.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This is the last time he's relevant anyway. The popular fan theory is that he couldn't deal with constantly facing one of the guys who murdered Chao-tzu (who everyone just kind of forgives) and they just kind of go off into the woods to avoid everyone after that. I always thought it was a bit hypocritical though because no one seems to have a problem with Piccolo... not even CHI-CHI and he kidnapped her son/killed her husband.
Yeah I remember him not really showing up anymore post-Cell, always thought that was odd.

This was one of the better episodes in recent months, though. Some great moments.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I love how the abridged version of Goku is an idiot on a grand scale, but is also a bad-ass.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Muffin button?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well hey now, in the Prince of all Sayian's defence, Nappa did most of the work. Come to think of it, the only person Vegeta even killed during that whole thing WAS Nappa.

....not for a lack of trying with the rest, but still!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Toriyama might have just forgotten he existed, like Launch....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I cannot for the life of me remember who Launch is, but the name is familiar, and I feel like when I Google the name, I'm going to smack my forehead.

BRB

Oh, I was worried for nothing. I can't remember her.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I cannot for the life of me remember who Launch is, but the name is familiar, and I feel like when I Google the name, I'm going to smack my forehead.

BRB

Oh, I was worried for nothing. I can't remember her.
She was the woman with the split personality Roshi used to perv on back in Dragonball. She lived in Kame House with Roshi and Oolong, the "nice" personality half made them food and mothered them, the "mean" half beat them up and shot at them with machine guns. The trigger to switch her personality was sneezing.

When DBZ started, Toriyama just straight up forgot she existed, and thus she had disappeared. This abridged series even lampshaded that in Ep 10 part 1:

Bowielee

Bowielee

That still makes me laugh.

"Thank god, I thought he meant penis"

Bowielee

Bowielee

Frank

Frank

And thar she blows.

Terrik

Terrik

Argh, want more.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Moostash

Frank

Frank

I feel like even with a month (or two) between releases, the story is still progressing faster than it did when it was on TV when I was a teenager (without the random starting over from the beginning that we got).

Frank

Frank

So I just watched some thing on the Nerdist where they had the real voice cast doing dubovers of "classic" movies. It dawned on me that they sound like the cheap knockoffs now and the Abridged cast is who I think of as the real one.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So I just watched some thing on the Nerdist where they had the real voice cast doing dubovers of "classic" movies. It dawned on me that they sound like the cheap knockoffs now and the Abridged cast is who I think of as the real one.
It's funny because at first I thought "man most of these guys sound just like the dub VAs," but even the Japanese ones sound weird to me compared to TFS.

figmentPez

figmentPez

FF7 Abridged trailer

GasBandit

GasBandit

FF7 Abridged trailer

Welp, I'm gonna watch that. I don't quite agree with some of the character interpretations (like making softy-matron Tifa a ballbusting aggrochick), but these guys know how to write some goddamned dialog, let me tell ya.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dunno why, but this just ain't doing it for me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dunno why, but this just ain't doing it for me.
Kinda in the same boat. I'll give it an episode or two but the preview didn't really grab me. Tifa being a super-violent crazypants was weird.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I saw a sneak peak of the first episode at "Too Many games", it was really funny.

Frank

Frank

There were a few lines in there that made me chuckle, but I agree with Gas on making Tifa aggressive, that seems real off.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

GasBandit

GasBandit

As an official big time youtube video maker (with 144 videos to my name!), I am incensed that I was not invited to participate in this who's who of moostachioed manliness.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As an official big time youtube video maker (with 144 videos to my name!), I am incensed that I was not invited to participate in this who's who of moostachioed manliness.
It doesn't count as a mustache when it covers your entire body.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It doesn't count as a mustache when it covers your entire body.
God+shave+the+queen_4679c1_5369459.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Spoilered because I don't want to color anyone else's viewing of the above

I hope this starts to get a lot better really soon... It just... seems to be a lot worse writing and acting than DBZ:A.

But I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to get there... the early eps of DBZ:A, going back and watching them, were also pretty crap.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Jax

Jax

I hope this starts to get a lot better really soon... It just... seems to be a lot worse writing and acting than DBZ:A.

But I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to get there... the early eps of DBZ:A, going back and watching them, were also pretty crap.
Needs some traction, I guess. I had the same idea about DBZA being bad at the start. Then again, I'm not sure machinima will have the same effect as animated material. Part of the fun in DBZA is them mocking the animation itself and with machinima it's mostly all about the voice acting. Sure, you can pull off a great machinima parody, but usually those have their own original plotlines and are not re-enactments of the source material

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

That series is not good.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That series is not good.
And it keeps getting worse. Even the better written jokes have terrible timing. How is this so bad?[DOUBLEPOST=1447967897,1447967823][/DOUBLEPOST]And, because I feel bad for anyone who saw this thread was active and was hoping for DBZA:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, this time the shenanigans are copyright claims taking down Youtube videos:

Looks like episodes 24 - 49 are down at the moment, as well as 3 of the movies.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Instead of Funimation this time, it's apparently Toei.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Japanese companies really dont understand the Internet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Japanese companies really dont understand the Internet
Well... no, they understand it perfectly well. Anime companies need to sell DVDs and merch to survive in Japan... you don't sell the DVDs, you don't get more seasons. But the prices for DVDs in Japan are -insane-. It actually used to be cheaper to import American DVD sets and just turn on subtitles, but now the internet and streaming has made it even easier to avoid paying those outrageous prices. That's not even getting into how DBZ Abridged has kind of subverted the popularity of the original series, with many fans actually preferring the abridged version to the actual show.

As such, Toei just does blanket copyright claims in order to preserve sales. To them, it's just about preserving the DVD sales. They don't care about the fans, they care about staying in business.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well... no, they understand it perfectly well.
I don't think they do. If they did, they'd have been trying to get out of the DVD market for a long time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Physical media is SO two thousand late.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think they do. If they did, they'd have been trying to get out of the DVD market for a long time.
Physical media is SO two thousand late.
Japan has always been slow to adapt to new business models, mostly because their society frowns on break-outs. It doesn't help that the recession had them doubling down on known quantities on what to produce, which lead to the production of a lot of... well, underage schoolgirls being exploited sexually vicariously in the medium. Say what you will about the worst of the otaku, they have NO problem spending 60 bucks on a pillow with a schoolgirl (that cost maybe a buck to make).

PatrThom

PatrThom

Japan has always been slow to adapt to new business models, mostly because their society frowns on change.
FTFY.

--Patrick

Soupy

Soupy

Came across this which was pretty cool: Dragon Ball Z: The Fall of Man
Wasn't horrid, better than that Evolution movie a few years back.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"All I wanna do, is help you turn into-"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Jax

Jax

Anybody torturing themselves by watching the FF Machinima one? Does it get better after the first few episodes?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Anybody torturing themselves by watching the FF Machinima one? Does it get better after the first few episodes?
I gave up around episode 7. It got worse after the first few.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"...okay I can explain."

"I don't think you can!"

Frank

Frank

So TFS have been struck from Youtube by Toei....even after Toei and Funimation had the monetization rights.

Japanese companies are so ass backwards.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So TFS have been struck from Youtube by Toei....even after Toei and Funimation had the monetization rights.

I think it's because they understand that DBZ Abridged -is- Dragonball Z for a lot of people. I can't even go back to watching the original series anymore...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS INTEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRNALLY!*

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

The timing of these movies always confuses me. Goku knows how to Kaioken, but apparently isn't Super Saiyan yet.. which would place it sometime between his first defeating Vegeta and leaving for Namek in the Frieza saga? I am not familiar enough with the material perhaps, but I was under the impression that Goku left as soon as he was out of the hospital? Or am I not remembering correctly?

Also, didn't Gohan, Krillin and Bulma leave for Namek before Goku recovered?

Tress

Tress

The timing of these movies always confuses me. Goku knows how to Kaioken, but apparently isn't Super Saiyan yet.. which would place it sometime between his first defeating Vegeta and leaving for Namek in the Frieza saga? I am not familiar enough with the material perhaps, but I was under the impression that Goku left as soon as he was out of the hospital? Or am I not remembering correctly?

Also, didn't Gohan, Krillin and Bulma leave for Namek before Goku recovered?
My understanding is the movies (with one exception) DO NOT take place in the actual plot line of DBZ. Instead, they should be treated like "What if"-type stories.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The only movies the SHOW considered to be canon are Dead Zone, which happens BEFORE DBZ starts, and Tree of Might... which blatantly cannot happen in any fashion because it's before Goku can go Super Saiyan but AFTER he can Kaio-Ken (so during the Namek Saga) and Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, and Chiaotzu are alive when they should be dead. There really is no excuse.

The latest Dragon Ball movie is considered canon as well, mostly because Beerus shows up sometimes in Dragon Ball Super.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also "Wrath of the Dragon" and that one where Vegeta's brother came to Earth to warn them that two of Frieza's old fat henchman were coming to take over the Earth. Also the manga with Jago fits in there somewhere.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The only movies the SHOW considered to be canon are Dead Zone, which happens BEFORE DBZ starts, and Tree of Might... which blatantly cannot happen in any fashion because it's before Goku can go Super Saiyan but AFTER he can Kaio-Ken (so during the Namek Saga) and Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, and Chiaotzu are alive when they should be dead. There really is no excuse.

The latest Dragon Ball movie is considered canon as well, mostly because Beerus shows up sometimes in Dragon Ball Super.
How does the show treat Tree of Might as canon then? Did they reference it at some point?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

How does the show treat Tree of Might as canon then? Did they reference it at some point?
Gohan meets Icarus the dragon in Tree of Might. Icarus shows up in later movies and in some of the TV episodes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Gohan meets Icarus the dragon in Tree of Might. Icarus shows up in later movies and in some of the TV episodes.
But it makes no sense! Even as a kid, Tree of Might pissed me off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I look forward to watching the 30 finalists.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Is it weird that I'm so used to the Abridged guys now that I have a hard time accepting these guys as the voices for those characters?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is it weird that I'm so used to the Abridged guys now that I have a hard time accepting these guys as the voices for those characters?
Not at all. I'm kind of the same way, actually.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

figmentPez

figmentPez

Damn, Trunks just got put in his PWAIPS!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did you like the remix of Trunks' theme used in the previous episode? Here it is in its own video.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...of course that guy is that guy's agent...pure brilliance.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hah, apparently #Cellgames was actually a major trending topic for awhile.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh my...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

50 percent off

Haven't seen the ACTUAL show before...but this is fucking hilarious, plus I've at least seen shows LIKE it so I can still understand the story.

GasBandit

GasBandit

50 percent off

Haven't seen the ACTUAL show before...but this is fucking hilarious, plus I've at least seen shows LIKE it so I can still understand the story.
I goddamn love 50% off.

Shut up, Haru. No, you shut up, Haru. EVERYBODY SHUT UP.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Yo Homeboy look like Shark-Week, I ain't messing with that".

Celt Z

Celt Z

"SomeONE shot the Haru who can read!"

Why did you guys do this to me?! :rofl:

Denbrought

Denbrought

One of my friends (who enjoys cosplaying shotas) did Nagisa at a few cons. They had the "Sup Sluts!" line/pose nailed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

One of my friends (who enjoys cosplaying shotas) did Nagisa at a few cons. They had the "Sup Sluts!" line/pose nailed.
I say "WHAT UP, SLUTS" whenever possible in a social context.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Popo: "I'm gonna call you Little Green."
Dende: "Your funeral."
Popo: *cracking noises as he slowly smiles* I like you.

Creepy. CREEPY!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I actually watched an episode of the Buu saga recently, and it weirds me out seeing Popo terrified of something because the abridged series has ingrained in my head that he is some terribly powerful eldritch horror.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I actually watched an episode of the Buu saga recently, and it weirds me out seeing Popo terrified of something because the abridged series has ingrained in my head that he is some terribly powerful eldritch horror.
YEAH-they admit their not sure on how to do the Buu saga, especially with that.

Covar

Covar

I imagine another bucket of LSD

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Damn, Thugisa dropping the truth bombs.

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

They got a movie down to 30 minutes. Now that's abridging.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"I came for a banquet, this is a potluck, you cheap mother-fuckers!"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"You see, Vegeta, you are not dealing with the average Saiyan..."

I nearly died laughing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

"I'd rather get kicked in the dick - a THOUSAND more times - than hear that idiot scream Kakarot's name one more time."

Frank

Frank

They got a movie down to 30 minutes. Now that's abridging.
Aren't the movies like 45 minutes long?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Aren't the movies like 45 minutes long?
And yet still released in theaters...seriously. Just TRY getting a 45 minute animated special over here to get a theatrical release, y'alls will get your asses laughed out harder than a mother fucker poisoned by a Joker fish.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And yet still released in theaters...seriously. Just TRY getting a 45 minute animated special over here to get a theatrical release, y'alls will get your asses laughed out harder than a mother fucker poisoned by a Joker fish.
I could see it if they were reasonable about ticket prices. Like, half the price of a full-length movie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I could see it if they were reasonable about ticket prices. Like, half the price of a full-length movie.
Statistically from what I've read, the 45 minute ones are mostly double features. Seeing a Digimon film after a One Piece film ain't too strange...or was it Dragonball? GRAH-I'm not being payed to remember.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I actually have a local theater that does the 1 day only showings of Naruto movies and such when they release stateside. If there is market demand for it, it can happen.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The original run time of Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan was 72 minutes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh my God the slap-fight noises, I can't breathe

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, it's not exactly TFS, but I'm getting a good chuckle out of the "DBZ Saiyaman Saga Was Sick" abridged dubs.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You have no idea how amazed we were how short 2000 life point games were in real life. HOW DID THEY STRETCH THAT SHIT OUT IN THE SHOW?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha ha ha ha, they got DasBoSchitt to animate this one. Awesome.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah it's crazy how good SFM animations are getting.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah it's crazy how good SFM animations are getting.
Hell, DasBoSchitt was doing really impressive stuff even with only gmod back in the day. Sucks his day job doesn't let him youtube as much as he used to.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hell, DasBoSchitt was doing really impressive stuff even with only gmod back in the day. Sucks his day job doesn't let him youtube as much as he used to.
Yeah I need to go through his channel again, it's been an age.

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good God, a train? Last episode I watched they were still on a blimp or something. LK's channel got so overrun with other garbage I never even noticed he was still putting out YGOTAS episodes!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

HAHA-damn straight!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

A bit of a bummer there are only 4.

fade

fade

It still bugs me that they called them androids when they were clearly cyborgs.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, only 2 of them where cyborgs (well, 3 if you count the doc's brain), and i guess Gero didn't want to break his naming sequence.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

In Japan, pretty sure they are called "Artificial Humans" (AKA Artificial Human #18, etc).

I think in the end though once translated, they just call them all the Androids because it's easier, since the only ones that were formerly human were 17, 18, and 20. All the rest were fully robotic, and it sort of breaks the flow when you name them by numbers if you go from someone like Android 16 (who is a full robot) to something like Cyborg 17. BTW, any of you guys see that 17 is returning as a good guy in Dragonball Super?

Actually, if it's okay for me to go off on a tangent for a second, since there really isn't a regular Dragonball thread...

Is it just me or is it kind of funny that over half the roster of the Z Fighters has become reformed villains? I know Tien barely counts, but he was still once a villain back in Dragonball. Also, taking Roshi over someone like Gotenks? Are they insane?

fade

fade

Well, only 2 of them where cyborgs (well, 3 if you count the doc's brain), and i guess Gero didn't want to break his naming sequence.
Well, yeah, but by "them" I was referring to the two in the paintings.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well, yeah, but by "them" I was referring to the two in the paintings.
Yes, but like mentioned, it be weird to call something Android 16 and then Cyborg 17 and 18, only to then go back to Android 19 and then Cyborg 20. They keep the name because it's easier to keep them part of that line of droids that has gone back since the RRA.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mean, we are talking about a culture that calls underwear "pants." They get a lot of things mixed up.

@Li3n

@Li3n

BTW, any of you guys see that 17 is returning as a good guy in Dragonball Super?
According 2 the wikis i visited, he was resurrected by the balls after they beat Cell.

Is it just me or is it kind of funny that over half the roster of the Z Fighters has become reformed villains? I know Tien barely counts, but he was still once a villain back in Dragonball. Also, taking Roshi over someone like Gotenks? Are they insane?
Yamcha was an antagonist too. And Krillin was kind of an ass at the start.

And Roshi got retconned i guess, since in Rez F Tien says they didn't bring Yamcha and Chaotzu coz its 2 dangerous, while they both should be way more powerful the Demon King Picollo (saibamen had to suicide 2 get Yamcha etc), which Roshi couldn't beat.

I mean, we are talking about a culture that calls underwear "pants." They get a lot of things mixed up.
As ScytheRexx points out, they where called "Artificial Humans" there, so its not their fault...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

*SPOILERS* If you haven't been keeping up with DB Super.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, this week just flew by.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dear god, that felt like it was STRAIGHT out of the manga!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Dude, that "Caillou" comment had me busting up way more than it should have! :rofl:

GasBandit

GasBandit

I hope that's not the last one. I'd kinda been hoping there'd be a Jojo vs Cell.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

TeamFourStar provided their voices for a scene in Dragon Ball Z Kai. Unfortunately, Toei had Funimation cut the scene out of broadcast.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Welp *CLAP* that was the greatest thing ever.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That WAS AMAZING.

Covar

Covar

So meta. Perfect voice casting. And now I really hope that Mr. Satan is just Napa.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The frowning the second Brock talks? Amazing.

"IS THAT FUCKING FRIEZA!?"

I thought nothing would beat the One Punch Man one, but wow...

figmentPez

figmentPez

"This seems surprisingly like that card game the kid with the leather pants wanted me to play."

:rofl:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Frank

Frank

Cell's jabs at Vegeta had me chuckling.

Soupy

Soupy

Tien is so snarky. Love it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And all the episodes of DBZA have been pulled off of Youtube... again.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You think after they voiced the big-head versions of the characters in that Cell-games reenactment they'd be cool now but NOPE!

GasBandit

GasBandit

You think after they voiced the big-head versions of the characters in that Cell-games reenactment they'd be cool now but NOPE!
That was a work of the American localization team though. When the frowny rectumbosses in Japan got wind of it, they yanked it so that it didn't air on CN.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That was a work of the American localization team though. When the frowny rectumbosses in Japan got wind of it, they yanked it so that it didn't air on CN.
Fuckin' Toei, its bad enough they make the American audience wait RIDICULOUSLY long for the books to come out(its all ready translated you dicks, waiting three months only makes sense in Japan) and now this.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Team Four Star is trying a new thing, premiering the next episode of DBZA on a Twitch livestream:

TLDW: it's going to be Friday May 12 at 6pmCDT

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh man. That was so good.

Frank

Frank

Powerman 5000 at the beginning was legit funny.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The moment Goku explains his home situation and the crowd calls him a shitlord was hilarious.

Also... a remix of "Villain Number One/We Are Number One" from Lazy Town plays when Cell splits into 4. That was really subtle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The moment Goku explains his home situation and the crowd calls him a shitlord was hilarious.

Also... a remix of "Villain Number One/We Are Number One" from Lazy Town plays when Cell splits into 4. That was really subtle.
Heh, subtle as a sledgehammer, I picked up on it right away :p

But then, of course, I spend every waking moment immersed in meme sauce, so...

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Are you truly perfect?"
"Well... technically, eh... nah..."
"Have you ever fought a Z-Warrior? Like, a real Super Saiyan!"
"Nah." Vigorous head-shaking
"Have you ever absorbed anyone?"
More head-shaking "Nah, nah..."
"Alright! I can see that I will have to teach you how to be PERFECT!"

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

No really abridged, but seriously guys, I think the TFS Mr. Popo is slowly morphing into the official series.

Also bonus Popo jump scare in the transition...

PatrThom

PatrThom

...aaaaand they're gone.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

...aaaaand they're gone.
Haha ya, figured that would happen sooner or later. Here is the jist of what happens...

The first video has Vegeta entering the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to get some final training before the next big arc. As he is about to enter, Popo stops him and tells him that should he break it again, he would be banned. As he says banned it zooms in super close to Popo so all you see is his eyes with his solid black skin filling the rest of the frame, a popular shot used by TFS to show how terrifying Popo is in their version (though they also have the mouth usually), and even has a music queue to kind of catch you off guard with how dead serious Popo is being.

The second video is a transition in which the two Omni King's fade out, but two of their eyes remain, going to black, then merging into a single circle that turns into a traffic light. For the moment before the two eyes merge into the single circle, it once again looks exactly like the Popo eyes on black frame from earlier in the show.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Deadpool was less entertaining and more obnoxious for me. I mean, I get "obnoxious" is Deadpool's schtick, but it's was particularly obnoxious for this.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"While I'm busy pounding your son, I'll be thinking of you the entire time."

figmentPez

figmentPez

"While I'm busy pounding your son, I'll be thinking of you the entire time."
Suck it kale, you bush league superfood!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Also:

GasBandit

GasBandit

This game is so god damned pretty. The only way it could be better is if TFS actually did the voices.

But here's them playing it and doing the voices, which is ok too.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I decided to check out the latest episode of FF7 Machinabridged (episode 12) to see if it has improved....

NOPE

Every single party member is grating and obnoxious. The only enjoyable part of the episode was Linkara guest starring as Choco Bill. Someone put this series out of it's misery.

GasBandit

GasBandit

TIL even the guys doing Batman Beyond Abridged knew about Kevin Spacey a year and a half ago.

Frank

Frank

Open secret man.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

"Vegeta, no!"
"Vegeta, YES!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not DBZA but I felt like it belonged here more than any other thread:

I'd almost like to see a more serious treatment. Maybe not of an entire episode, but I feel like there is plenty of comedy gold to be mined by picking juuuuuust the right scenes and chaining them together.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

DBZ Abridged Episode 60 premieres live Friday 08/31 8:30PM Central Time

Frank

Frank

You didn't mention it so I will that it's part 1 of 3 and the total running time of all three episodes will be greater than 60 minutes and less than 90. Why they didn't just how long it will be total, I don't know.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why they didn't just how long it will be total, I don't know.
Probably because they're still editing it, and aren't sure of the exact run time yet.

Frank

Frank

Probably because they're still editing it, and aren't sure of the exact run time yet.
Yeah, but I'm sure they know within less than 30 minutes about how long it will be. They're releasing the first part in 4 days.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If it's still being worked on and will be in three parts, why not just make it three episodes? It's not like all the old episodes didn't flow into the next, that was sort of the DBZ format.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Terrik

Terrik

The last two minutes:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GodDAMN I missed DBZ Abridged.

Gohan finally unlocking his power is one of my favourite moments in the series...and they actually IMPROVED on it. I'm blown away by how badass those last 2 minutes were. Perfect song choice.

Frank

Frank

I liked making fun of the obscene amount of Gohan/Linkin Park music videos that exist.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

figmentPez

figmentPez

This may be redundant for classic anime, but Seizure Warning!

Bones

Bones

so thats it then? no buu saga, its really over :(
EDIT: DONT MIND ME IM JUST AN IDIOT....

chris

chris

so thats it then? no buu saga, its really over :(
EDIT: DONT MIND ME IM JUST AN IDIOT....
Don't worry I thought so too.

Also, Brofist for Krillin.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Loved it. Though kind of suprised how serious it got. Yes it had some of the comedy beats, but it was way more subdued then say, the muffin button at the end of the frieza saga. I was expecting stuff way more outlandish. Not complaining though, I honestly feel they improved on some parts.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Loved it. Though kind of suprised how serious it got. Yes it had some of the comedy beats, but it was way more subdued then say, the muffin button at the end of the frieza saga. I was expecting stuff way more outlandish. Not complaining though, I honestly feel they improved on some parts.
They straight up have and it's part of the reason Toei isn't exactly happy with them.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, some has been making a Gundam Wing Abridged series, and it's pretty good, even if the humour very subdued for an abridged series:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged has ended:

Bones

Bones

holy balls that was amazing...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Overlord Abridged Ep 1 (which actually covers something like 5 episodes in 20 minutes). It's pretty good, lots of funny reference humor. Too bad they still haven't made episode 2 yet >_<

"There's rice on your face!" almost made me spit out the drink I was taking.

PatrThom

PatrThom

holy balls that was amazing...
Aaaaand it’s gone.

—Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

And, for those of you who objected to DBZA episode 60 being broken into three parts: DBZA Episode 60 Epilogue!

GasBandit

GasBandit

This doesn't seem an "abridgement" as much as a gag dub, but I do like how utterly unhinged they make GS. It's like they crammed a full plate helm on Mr. Torgue.

Also, turn on CC for additional humor.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I gotta say, as a long time DBZA fan, this was...really not good. It felt rushed, the timing on the humor was all over the place, the voice acting was inconsistent (Gohan sounded like Goku many times), and just...really didn't hit any marks for me. First time I think I've ever been completely disappointed by a DBZA episode.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not surprised. More than one of these guys is basically a professional voice actor now, aren't they?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

They said long ago they hated the Garlic Jr Saga, I think they decided to do this quickly just to get it over with.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I was only disappointed that there was no Snowflame reference.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This doesn't seem an "abridgement" as much as a gag dub, but I do like how utterly unhinged they make GS. It's like they crammed a full plate helm on Mr. Torgue.

Also, turn on CC for additional humor.
Those madmen... they're still doing it. Here's Goblin Slayer Abridged episode 2.

Yes, even though it's 30 minutes, it's still technically abridged, as this covers episodes 2-4 of the actual series.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Dragon Ball Z KAI Abridged: Episode 3.5

Bones

Bones

Dragon Ball Z KAI Abridged: Episode 3.5

this was great!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Overlord Abridged Ep 1 (which actually covers something like 5 episodes in 20 minutes). It's pretty good, lots of funny reference humor. Too bad they still haven't made episode 2 yet >_<

"There's rice on your face!" almost made me spit out the drink I was taking.

So, getting episode 2 took nearly a YEAR.

figmentPez

figmentPez

DragonShortZ Episode 1: Two and a Half Saiyans

GasBandit

GasBandit

Inuyasha Abridged has potential... although they're trying to push the Vegeyasha angle a little much.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Those madmen... they're still doing it. Here's Goblin Slayer Abridged episode 2.

Yes, even though it's 30 minutes, it's still technically abridged, as this covers episodes 2-4 of the actual series.

Whoa, somehow I spaced on this... here's Goblin Slayer Abridged 3... and 4.

figmentPez

figmentPez

DragonShortZ Episode 2: Midwife Crisis

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Cell Games is the gift that keeps on giving.
Sponsored by Hetap.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

TeamFourStar won't be producing any more Dragonball Z Abridged. Full post on their Patreon (open to everyone).

It's pretty much all the reasons you'd expect. The passion for it is gone, not wanting to keep battling getting flagged by companies, etc. They'll do a video on this sometime soon.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Fuckin darkest timeline...

Terrik

Terrik

I mean, fuck, but they certainly went out on a high note.

Bones

Bones

i feel like ending on cell is fair, they want to have business relations with these companies, its to bad that the TOEI overlords couldnt see to let them see it to an end, but they also seem to say they really are done with it all so meh

chris

chris

And the video is up. It's sad but the right decision. They look so tired.

@Li3n

@Li3n

i feel like ending on cell is fair, they want to have business relations with these companies, its to bad that the TOEI overlords couldnt see to let them see it to an end, but they also seem to say they really are done with it all so meh
The real boss move would be to just do the rest on the dl, and just release them all at once.

Bones

Bones

The real boss move would be to just do the rest on the dl, and just release them all at once.
because they are now a professional dubbing company they can no longer chance pissing off their clientele

@Li3n

@Li3n

>defines selling out...<
:trolol:

@Li3n

@Li3n

figmentPez

figmentPez

I thought this was really good:

Bones

Bones

I thought this was really good:

I love how they hit it off, and I also love watching them defend each other at the end. when krillin smokes the table with a fist pound i just about shit a brick...

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Goblin Slayer Abridged 5 is out

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bones

Bones

That thing is amazing btw

figmentPez

figmentPez

Beastars (S1) in 8 Minutes

GasBandit

GasBandit

I really like how "If you're going to use a reference as a metaphor, you need to etc" is this one's "You're not dealing with the average Saiyan warrior."

Celt Z

Celt Z

...why did I just watch Zootopia After Dark?

GasBandit

GasBandit

...why did I just watch Zootopia After Dark?
And they didn't even show the super jazzy actual opening credits!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"Can you not?"
"Yes"

WEEEEEEEEEZE

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aaand a year later, here's Goblin Slayer Abridged episode 6.

... it kinda feels like it's trying to hard, now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sorta related.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've been watching TeamFourStar's HFIL series. After the finished Dragonball Z Abridged, I actually unsubscribed from them, mostly because I wasn't interested in their top 10s, reviews, podcasts, etc. Some of their DBZ shorts were...okay.

And honestly that's about where I feel about HFIL, too. I can't put my finger on what it is, exactly. The computer animation isn't bad for an amateur studio. The voice acting is top notch as always. But while there are some zingers, I find the overall pacing just isn't as good as DBZA. For all the talent they have, I guess I expected something original to be better than this? I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong with it. It's not BAD, necessarily. It's just kinda dull.

chris

chris

I've been watching TeamFourStar's HFIL series. After the finished Dragonball Z Abridged, I actually unsubscribed from them, mostly because I wasn't interested in their top 10s, reviews, podcasts, etc. Some of their DBZ shorts were...okay.

And honestly that's about where I feel about HFIL, too. I can't put my finger on what it is, exactly. The computer animation isn't bad for an amateur studio. The voice acting is top notch as always. But while there are some zingers, I find the overall pacing just isn't as good as DBZA. For all the talent they have, I guess I expected something original to be better than this? I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong with it. It's not BAD, necessarily. It's just kinda dull.
If you want to feel better about it, it's not just you. I haven't watched their stuff in a while. I'm honestly surprised that they can make stuff with Dragonball without getting flagged on YouTube.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If you want to feel better about it, it's not just you. I haven't watched their stuff in a while. I'm honestly surprised that they can make stuff with Dragonball without getting flagged on YouTube.
It likely has to do with not using the original animation. For these shorts, they've been using their own animation, which probably helps shirk at least automated copyright claims.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Also, it's a parody, which is protected, and without the animation it's likely way easily defended in a shorter time, so the right owners won't bother spending the money on the lawyers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Also, it's a parody, which is protected, and without the animation it's likely way easily defended in a shorter time, so the right owners won't bother spending the money on the lawyers.
You would think so, but that didn't stop Toei Animation from constantly attempting to tank TeamFourStar's channel.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Copyright abuse is almost never punished, so why would they.

What i was saying is that without the animation it's likely that Toei's own lawyers probably told them it's a waste of their time, since they'd not even have anything to argue about in front of a judge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Half the battle here is that by using their own CGI animation, they avoid YouTube's automatic copyright triggers, which is half the battle. Google hates to do anything that requires a person to actually perform an action, so if you put the onus on proving the copyright violation happened instead of proving your use of digitally cataloged footage is legitimate, it can go a long way.

Ironically this falls more into the category of derivative work than parody, because it is reusing existing characters and established settings to tell a new story, so it may not actually be as protected as straight up parody. It's just that Google hasn't set YouTube up to automatically catch derivative works because that's not something you can automate right now.

@Li3n

@Li3n

it is reusing existing characters and established settings to tell a new story, so it may not actually be as protected as straight up parody.
The "new" story still relies on making established characters more ridiculous, so i wouldn't agree with that myself.

they avoid YouTube's automatic copyright triggers, which is half the battle.
Yeah, i was not disagreeing with that.

But, it was on this forum that i recall learning that the 4Star peeps where also getting industry roles during their last season of DBZA, and how that probably influenced them not doing the Buu Saga.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

My Hero Academia Season 2 in 8 minutes

I've never seen this show, the 8 minute version makes it seem like it's just a reskinned Naruto.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've never seen this show, the 8 minute version makes it seem like it's just a reskinned Naruto.
It pretty much is.

I stopped watching it at some point, I forget where, but yeah. The constant jokes of calling the protagonist "Green Naruto" were right on the mark.

But hey, there's a formula for maximum profitability in Shonen works, and so that's what they went with.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still watch MHA... the quality's still there. The manga is supposedly approaching it's end, so the show has maybe... 3 seasons left before they'll need to adapt Vigilantes or one of the other side projects.

One mark in MHA's favor? It's not afraid to address the elephant in the room in regards to supremacy (though it's "powered" supremacy and not "white" supremacy for obvious reasons) and it's society destroying power.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

One thing I like about MHA is that Bakugo, the shows "Sasuke", is just as driven to be a hero as Deku, and even with his anger issues never fell from grace even when offered by the League of Villains.

A lot of the usual tropes felt like they were setting him up to be so jealous of Deku stealing "his thunder" that he would want revenge or "what he deserved" so much that he would, even temporarily, become a villain, but he didn't. Even when he learned Deku's secret he kept it rather then using the knowledge to try and make Deku feel illegitimate. I appreciated that.

Also the Abridged video is hilarious. The Stain part had me rolling.

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bleach Abridged Episode 30 "Toyota Camry"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm a few months late on discovering this, but two members of Team Four Star are posting episode-by-episode commentary on DBZA. It's interesting to hear their thoughts on the creative process. And it's nice to hear them acknowledge some of the more cringeworthy or problematic stuff from 15 years, like using the r-word (which I didn't like even back then).

chris

chris

I'm a few months late on discovering this, but two members of Team Four Star are posting episode-by-episode commentary on DBZA. It's interesting to hear their thoughts on the creative process. And it's nice to hear them acknowledge some of the more cringeworthy or problematic stuff from 15 years, like using the r-word (which I didn't like even back then).

Absolutly love the commentary by them. Especially the behind the scene stuff and thought process behind the jokes and scenes.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It's Freeza Day!

figmentPez

figmentPez

DBZ Abridged Buu Saga pt1 from Team Four Star (yes, really)

YouTuber Totally Not Mark has been reviewing Dragon Ball Z, and got TFS to do short segments of the Buu Saga to go along with his review. It's not a full season 4 of DBZA, but it's probably the best we'll get.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The full collection of Buu Bits, direct from Team Four Star this time:

The second half starts at 16:13.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They keep releasing buu bits piecemeal (over 30 now) and it just makes me all the more bitter they didn't do the buu saga properly. The repeated subscription pings for every <45 second tease just makes me want to unsubscribe.

"Isn't something better than nothing?"

No. Tantalizing a starving man with a crumb every 15 minutes is NOT better than leaving him the fuck alone. Do it or don't. Shit or get off the pot.

figmentPez

figmentPez

All the shorts they're releasing are already part of the full compilation that I posted above (and before that they were all part of TotallyNotMark's review).

While the repeated subscription pings are annoying, they can just be ignored, because all of the content is already out.

@Li3n

@Li3n