ABC Family? More like....

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is family viewing ABC Family?

It's rated "TV-14" and says "viewer discretion advised." Plenty of warnings if parents are being alert to what their kids watch.

It's not even the content that bothers me much, that was just a dig at the station's title. It's how absurdly terrible it is.

Didn't that channel play cartoons that weren't terrible not to long ago? What the hell happened?

C

Chibibar

uh-whua??

I just lost precious intelligent points just watching that. (I don't have much to spare) someone please please please smack that girl.

Frankie said:
It's how absurdly terrible it is.
Ah I see, missed your point.

I seem to remember a lot of craptastic shows on ABC Family. It was just the Family Channel before Disney bought it. A lot of suckage with a couple of exceptions I can't even remember now.

Didn't it used to be Fox Family?

Man, you know what was a rad kid's show? Fillmore. I miss Fillmore.

Also, changed the OP to be more clear.

L

Lally

They are contractually obligated to have "Family" in the name of the network. Back in the day the network was founded by Pat Robertson, and when it was bought by Fox, and eventually ABC/Disney, it was a stipulation that the name "Family" appear in the name of the network (and also that they show a Christian news show, the 700 club). I don't know the exact nature of the contract, but I imagine if they tried to change it Robertson could sue them.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
isn't Greek on that network? I've heard some good things about it.
My room mate loves Greek. My room mate also loves any show about 27 year old pretty teenagers having 'REAL' problems (The OC, Beverly Hills 90210, The Hills Etc.)

Awful.

Frankie said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
isn't Greek on that network? I've heard some good things about it.
My room mate loves Greek. My room mate also loves any show about 27 year old pretty teenagers having 'REAL' problems (The OC, Beverly Hills 90210, The Hills Etc.)

Awful.
Have you seen Greek, or are you just lumping it in with those other shows?

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Have you seen Greek, or are you just lumping it in with those other shows?
Have you seen Greek, or are you just lumping it in with stuff you've "heard some good things" about?

(just screwing around, by the way, I am not being serious ITT)

I have not seen it, I'm just basing it on my room mate's general bad taste in everything. And he fucking loves Greek.

Cajungal

Staff member
I will admit, if someone I know has almost opposite taste in something than me, it's hard to believe that you could like anything that they like. But I guess you never know til you try. I've discovered a few cool things by letting go of that feeling... some terrible things too.

That channel should go back to showing classic ABC reruns like Boy Meets World. The crap in that clip was awful.

Oh, I know, I was just asking. I thought it was obvious I hadn't seen it, and was curious if he had. The three shows he mentioned were actually kind of weirdly different. The OC is actually fairly good, both 90210's are kind of standard teeny soap drama, and The Hills is a cable reality TV show. So I was a little confused.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
The OC is actually fairly good, both 90210's are kind of standard teeny soap drama, and The Hills is a cable reality TV show. So I was a little confused.
Hmm...suck, suck, and suck was all I saw of any of those shows, but then again I'm in the "I don't give a particle of poo about some 16-year-old's angst over who to fuck" crowd. I even hated My So-Called Life and I was only 21 or so when it came out.

The last really good show in that genre that I can remember was Freaks and Geeks, but then again I never saw Undecided.

CynicismKills said:
Dad died a horrible death because I had incredible sex.
That made watching the clip worth it. Best line ever. I hope as this series continues we find out that her having incredible sex did contribute to her father's death.

And, really, when discussing sex and your father's death to your mother do you need to tell her it was incredible?

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Oh, I know, I was just asking. I thought it was obvious I hadn't seen it, and was curious if he had. The three shows he mentioned were actually kind of weirdly different. The OC is actually fairly good, both 90210's are kind of standard teeny soap drama, and The Hills is a cable reality TV show. So I was a little confused.
I said The Hills when I meant One Tree Hill, though he does like The Hills too.

Either way, not my cup of tea.

-- Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm --

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
The OC is actually fairly good, both 90210's are kind of standard teeny soap drama, and The Hills is a cable reality TV show. So I was a little confused.
Hmm...suck, suck, and suck was all I saw of any of those shows, but then again I'm in the "I don't give a particle of poo about some 16-year-old's angst over who to fuck" crowd. I even hated My So-Called Life and I was only 21 or so when it came out.

The last really good show in that genre that I can remember was Freaks and Geeks, but then again I never saw Undecided.
Undeclared you mean?

Undeclared was much more of a sitcom than Freaks and Geeks, though I liked both because oddly enough I was the exact age of the characters in both shows, late high school in Freaks and Geeks, young college in Undeclared.

Lally's right. The original version of ABC Family was the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) and was owned by Pat Robertson. CBN became The Family Channel after it was spun off to keep CBN nonprofit.

When it was sold to Fox, terms of the sale said that the word "Family" had to stay in the channel's name forever, no matter who bought it later. The same goes for airing The 700 Club twice daily and a CBN telethon every January.

The only way out of those terms is to kill the channel entirely. Since the various incarnations of the channel are already on most cable and satellite lineups, it was decided the better option was to just suck it up with regard to the terms and keep the slot. It would be much harder to get a brand new channel up and running in the same number of households.

Batdan said:
CynicismKills said:

hahahahahahaha
:rofl:
Mom's jealous double take when she said that... :rofl:

Can't ABC just shutter this network and just start a new one, ABCteenshavingsex Network? any time I've seen an ad for this abomination, it seems to involve sexually active high school kids. :blue:

I wish the mom had just gone ahead and said "Yes, honey. Dad died because you had sex. It's all your fault and I will always blame you." Then cut to the 700 Club.

I mean that's pretty much what I just watched, with the mom gazing soulfully at the daughter she's completely fucked up with that religious guilt trip.

figmentPez

Staff member
I first saw this clip on The Soup. It was the second clip from the show that I've seen. The first involved a teen trying to borrow a cashmere sweater so she could look good when trying to seduce her brother.

figmentPez said:
It was the second clip from the show that I've seen. The first involved a teen trying to borrow a cashmere sweater so she could look good when trying to seduce her brother.
Wait, what?? :puke:

C

crono1224

Batdan said:
CynicismKills said:

hahahahahahaha
:rofl:
My thoughts exactly, I can't believe they added that adjective as if regular sex isn't worth 'smiting' a parent over.

crono1224 said:
My thoughts exactly, I can't believe they added that adjective as if regular sex isn't worth 'smiting' a parent over.
Something about the mom's reaction shot after that line really gave me a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.