A Serious Man - new Coen Bros anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My friend just sent me the HD version of this trailer. Love how it looks, love that it's mostly unknown faces, love that they're back to writing and directing. I thought "Burn After Reading" tried way too hard and this looks like (or I'm hoping it is) a return to form.

Anyone else suspect they edited their own trailer? I know that's almost unheard of but with the sound design and the timing, it just felt very Coen-esque.

S

Steven Soderburgin

I've been excited about this since I first read about it early in the year. It seems really interesting.
ZenMonkey said:
love that they're back to writing and directing.
They've written and directed all of their movies. Do you mean back to doing original work rather than adapted material? (Burn After Reading was an original work, too)

Kissinger said:
Do you mean back to doing original work rather than adapted material? (Burn After Reading was an original work, too)
Yeah, I was lazy. I meant apart from adaptations or directing other people's scripts. BAR was a misstep; though I love their usual stable of actors, they've become too big to work in the Coens' "shlub" roles.

S

Steven Soderburgin

They've never directed anyone else's script, though. Burn After Reading was all them.

But I do take your meaning. The Coens are among the finest contemporary filmmakers, so I kind of felt the need to nitpick. :)

Kissinger said:
They've never directed anyone else's script, though.
No, they were gonna, though, and I wonder what happened to that. Are they writing the script for the Chabon adaptation? Yiddish Policeman's whatever-it-is-that-I-REALLY-need-to-read?

S

Steven Soderburgin

ZenMonkey said:
No, they were gonna, though, and I wonder what happened to that. Are they writing the script for the Chabon adaptation? Yiddish Policeman's whatever-it-is-that-I-REALLY-need-to-read?
They were working on the script for the adaptation. It was going to come after their next movie after A Serious Man called Hail Caesar. They put it on hold to work on an adaptation of True Grit.

Status
Not open for further replies.