4th Ed Monks are up

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chummer

If you have Insider you can see a PDF of a bunch of the Monk stuff. Enough to play a Monk if you so wish.

Looks nifty. I'm not sure I like that the power source is Psionic though. I mena i suppose if they had to call under an umbrella I can see the "focus mind" being under Psionics but it just seems wrong to me.

Are the unarmed strikes considered a "Monk Weapon"? I would think so cause if not than a Monk will always need a weapon which would defeat the purpose of being an Unarmed master.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Chummer said:
I'm not sure I like that the power source is Psionic though. I mena i suppose if they had to call under an umbrella I can see the "focus mind" being under Psionics but it just seems wrong to me.
Huh. I think I'd have preferred Martial. Or Mental - and group telepaths and such into that.

C

Chummer

I suppose they did it because Psioincs would need more classes.

I mean you make your Telepath, MindMelter, and Psy Warrior and thats about that.

Edit: It seems the designers have said that they felt an "Asian Power Source" was dumb. So there you go...

Thus as Wu Jen might be Arcane or Divine or whatever. Or a Samurai Martial.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Chummer said:
Edit: It seems the designers have said that they felt an "Asian Power Source" was dumb. So there you go....
Well, it is. Although "Ki" or something like that is fine as it's not really asian.

And yeah, the Wu Jen has always been arcane. It was in the AD&D's Complete Wizard's Handbook, and 3.5's Complete Arcane.

Yeah, that monk weapon thing is weird. And to automatically have 2 attacks (at will power gives a second attack) as well as (if I read this correctly) an additional offhand attack, this may be unbalanced.

One other thing that I read is that the monk HAS to use a move action to utilize his powers. So backed into a corner with no move spaces available means no encounter or daily abilities?

Edrondol said:
Yeah, that monk weapon thing is weird. And to automatically have 2 attacks (at will power gives a second attack) as well as (if I read this correctly) an additional offhand attack, this may be unbalanced.

One other thing that I read is that the monk HAS to use a move action to utilize his powers. So backed into a corner with no move spaces available means no encounter or daily abilities?
Or any of the multiple ways to immobilize a target? Thats a huge limitation. Try attacking a fighter with that limitation. Ouchies!

doomdragon6

Staff member
Edrondol said:

You could always use the move action to jump up in the air. And then attack. Wee. =P

Is there any way a non-insider can have a look at these already? I'm not actually having any luck in finding a friend whose shoulder I can accidentally look over :paranoid:

Z

Zarvox

doomdragon6 said:
Edrondol said:

You could always use the move action to jump up in the air. And then attack. Wee. =P
As a DM, I would rule that doing so would provoke opportunity attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.