[Console] 360 gaming headphones - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the last couple of years I've been using the standard headset that comes with the Xbox live kit. Perfectly adequate for what it's designed for - talking to other people. But now the 2nd headset I've had has developed a short in the mic. I had asked for one of those bluetooth dealies (about the size of a flash drive) for Xmas, but once again it didn't make the cut.

So I'm getting a new device of some sort. But I figured if I'm going to pay $50-60 for a headset, I could pay a little more and get a set of headphones. I got a set of Tritton AX-Pro headphones today. After I finally was able to figure out why they weren't working, I tried playing a few games of BF3 with them. I was underwhelmed. I fiddled with the levels (the AX-Pro has separate channel speakers in each ear) & was never able to get the right balance. So then I switched & played some MW3 where I know what that's supposed to sound like. Again I was never able to get the mix to the point where I was happy.

So they're back in the box, going back to the store.

So here I am - asking you guys for suggestions on a gaming headset for my 360. I have an older model 360 elite that is connected via HDMI to my TV. The Tritton set utilized the HD AV cable to use the optical audio connection, so this is a connection option. One of the other drawbacks to the AX-Pro was that it wasn't wireless, so I had 4m of cables everywhere. So wireless options would be preferred.

So gimme what ya got (please)!

head-fi.org

One thing they will tell you for sure, avoid "surround" headphones. Extra cost and they don't do the job they're marketed for. The same price will almost always get you a better set of regular headphones.

So by association you would recommend something like the Chimaera 5.1 headset?

Anybody have any experience with the Turtle Beach headsets? I know I saw a bunch of them move through the system at work the last month. User reviews on those & the Razers are generally good. Looking at reviews for the Tritton sets are not, and now I see why.

Turtle Beach doesn't rate highly on head-fi. None of the "5.1" headsets do. Granted, this is more of an audiophile site. Not one that goes in for the snake oil of multi-thousand dollar cables, either :D

I had a turtlebeach for ps3, the x21, that worked well but had a constant hiss. Ended up returning them a year after I bought them and getting my money back. They also didn't have surround sound either and were wired.

N

Namesake

I got a set of Turtle Beach x31's for Christmas and I have no complaints so far, no hiss, no pop.

P

PotaDOS

I would recommend against the Turtle Beach X11s. The other ones, I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.