Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
Watch that title - it looks a bit like the Magic: The Gathering font and design. Wizards is the type of company to pounce on things like that.

Watch that title - it looks a bit like the Magic: The Gathering font and design. Wizards is the type of company to pounce on things like that.
Yeah, when I saw the word Magic in that font when scrolling up from the last post, I thought it was a Magic the Gathering thing and then I noted the thread I'd clicked on. The image outline is nice so far.

fade

Staff member
It's honestly the first thing I thought, too. It's the strong serifs, all caps, and unusually slanted "M".

I'm not a MTG guy and it's what I thought as well. It could just be the prominence of the word though, rather than the design. Maybe the layout of the text just needs to be tweaked.

Nice!

... although to be honest, kinda looks like the artist pasted on that face from another illustration. Color doesn't quite match, and the perspective is jacked.

First paragraph sounds pretty good.

As for the cover, I think everything looks great except the face. It looks like the kid's face is aimed elsewhere and doesn't fit what is otherwise a beautiful image. Don't know what happened there.

If no one else noticed the Magic thing, then it's probably a fluke with us, and even if not, I doubt anyone would really give you shit about it.

That sounds pretty interesting and down my alley.

When is its publish date? Paperback? Hardcover? I love me some Hardcover.

I'll be curious.

But man are there some profit-sucking yutzes on there, charging $19 for a 170 page mass market paperback book (you know, the little ones). That's just BS.

On the cover art: when you zoom out (to more like the size an actual book would be rather than stretched across our monitors) the face looks more like it's aiming where it should.

B

Biannoshufu

That smaller size "I" is annoying me to the point of distraction, but that's a goofy nitpick.

I'm not sure who you're saying are charging $19.00...authors or CreateSpace.

But near as I can determine, CreateSpace will be charging me in the neighborhood of about $8.50 per book sold (or about $5.00 if I upgrade to "pro" whatever that costs) for a 6x9 350 page book. I'll probably only list the book to earn me a buck or so above costs, which is pretty close to in line what traditional sci-fi/fantasy authors make (near as I can determine, anyway)
One of the authors was charging $19 for a 174 5 x 8 book. I think that's a rip-off.

Sounds like you have the right idea--and sounds like Createspace does better with its base prices than Lulu.

Save costs, increase royalties, or meet between those. Either way, if you think you can make $40 off the book (and considering your support here and your site's popularity, I think you've nothing to worry about) then it sounds like a good idea.

In fact, looking it over is making me reconsider if I want to collect stuff from my site using Lulu anymore. I think I'd have to purchase a paperback from each site and see how I felt about the quality, but CreateSpace certainly caters more to pricing between reader and author. (Anyone remember when Cafepress did print-out books? Shiiiiit. Pages falling out, cover print not lined up properly. No wonder David Willis re-released book 1 of Roomies with another company.)

Very cool, man. I think Amazon should cross-reference the eBook reviews onto the page of the physical book. I might just order from them since I'm an impatient type of person.

And awesome on the eBook sales--you're gonna make back the Pro Plus (or whatever it's called) pay in no time at this rate.

Are you referring to the paper version? I found a typo that I fixed and re-uploaded to CreateSpace. I wasn't aware that it'd make the book out of stock, but it should be back as soon as the automated review process is complete.
Did you have to pay a processing fee? I remember reading that it was $25 to upload a new version.

(Also, was it where it says "the gods way" early on? Because that should be gods' way).

Status
Not open for further replies.