2015 Game Hype

Since Dave made the movie thread, I figured I'd start up the games thread. What games are we looking forward to?

The HUGE one for me right now--Evolve, 5-player co-op/versus by the Left 4 Dead team has me super-psyched.

Must-haves:

Legend of Zelda U (title pending)
Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Persona 5

Maybe:

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (I'll have to see how I feel when it comes out, but my adoration for the first one has cooled enough that unless I'm in a severe Shin Megami Tensei deficit when this comes out, I'm not sure I'll get it)
Splatoon
New Pokemon game (if it's a Sinnoh remake, I don't know; if it's gen 7, definitely getting it)

I feel like I'm forgetting some things, but that's what I got in mind for now.

Dave

Staff member
I haven't been excited about a game release since Skyrim. Not even Draenor, which I've loved.

Bloodborne is the big one for me, but I'm also getting Mighty No. 9 soon.
I didn't even know they were coming out with another Dark Souls type of game. I'll have to eye reviews on this one.

Also, my forehead deserves a heavy smack, how could I forget--Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I wish I could play it right now, dammit. Need some fun co-op with my wife that doesn't have water battles.

I didn't even know they were coming out with another Dark Souls type of game. I'll have to eye reviews on this one.

Also, my forehead deserves a heavy smack, how could I forget--Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I wish I could play it right now, dammit. Need some fun co-op with my wife that doesn't have water battles.
Dark Souls 2 is also getting a re-release, GOTY edition for PS4, X-1, and PC that has all the dlc, plus a bunch of new stuff. Everyone who owns the game already gets the free stuff as an update, but they don't get the new HD graphics and 6-man multiplayer.

Half-Life 3!

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha... I crack myself up! Ha ha ha ha ha...

Ha ha...

Ha...

:(
No lie, before EVERY E3 over the last five years or so, I get my hopes up just a little that Valve might - just might - announce Half-Life 3 that year. And I know next year, I'll feel the same way. It has to happen at some point. Apparently, they have a new Source engine and they usually showcase it with a new Half-Life game.

Personally, there's only one game that I'm hyped like hell for next year. It's the one and only reason I was torn on either getting a PS4 or a new gaming computer.

Also, I can't deny that I'm looking forward to the second half of Broken Age, which should come out early next year.

If they do announce it, they need to make the unveiling video start with with a short thing where everyone is trying to teach Gabe to count to 3.

Mus have :

Mount & Blade 2 : Bannerlord (HOPEFULLY!)

Possibly :

Battlefront
The Division (UBICRAP tho...)
Witcher 3

Many "maybes".

2015 is going to be a rough year for me gaming wise. Too much stuff I want already.

Street Fighter V
Bloodborne
Batman: Arkham Knight
Zelda U
Majora's Mask 3D

The ONLY reasons that I can muster up interest in Arkham Knight after the horrible Arkham Origins are that Kevin Conroy is back as Batman, and that Rockstar is back at the helm.

OK, driving the Batmobile doesn't hurt.

Being one of the few people with a WiiU, I'm obviously excited about the next Zelda title.
Gaming sites really want us to think Nintendo is always doing poorly. I don't know what is their deal against Nintendo--maybe because Nintendo won't pay them advertising dollars, maybe to affirm their EA readers that they shouldn't get a system that won't cater to the newest CoD or FIFA--but they've pissed on every victory Nintendo's had this year, to the point of stuff that doesn't make sense with sales records and stock reports.

I look forward to hearing what else they've got in store for us in 2015. Zelda U is likely not coming out until November or December.

In fact, I'm noticing a lot of stuff I'm interested in slated for early 2015, within the first three months, and then there's probably going to be another quiet stretch through the year. Since I know I'm getting Evolve and Monster Hunter 4 right when they come out, might be a good idea to put off Bloodborne (which is looking better and better the more I see/read) and Majora's Mask 3D to take up the potential summer drought.

The ONLY reasons that I can muster up interest in Arkham Knight after the horrible Arkham Origins are that Kevin Conroy is back as Batman, and that Rockstar is back at the helm.

OK, driving the Batmobile doesn't hurt.
I consider Origins as much part of the official series as I do Bioshock 2 for the Bioshock series. In other words, I don't at all.

Gonna update my list:

Evolve
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
Bloodborne
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Zelda U
Persona 5
New Fire Emblem
Splatoon

I thought I could go online with my wife to play Splatoon and that was the major push. Since the two-player appears restricted to 1 vs 1 locally, I don't need it.

The other games ... fuuuck, I don't think I can afford all this. I suppose some things may have to wait for Christmas/potential 2016 drought. Wii U is not going to see a whole lot of use :(. But 3DS is going to have an awesome year.

Gonna put my list here too, then:
Pillars of Eternity
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Heroes of Might & Magic VII
The Witcher 3
Total War: Attila

Let's come back end of year and see what I've ended up playing :p

My backlog is so huge that I barely even know what's coming out this year... But I'm definitely happy that the following games are gonna be existing:

Batman Arkham Knights
Persona 5
The Witcher 3 (never played any Witcher, but I've heard so many good things, it's like I'm hyped by proxy)

And, assuming it actually comes out this year, Cyberpunk 2077 has a great deal of my interest. I'd think it'd make Frank's significant other very happy, too. :p

And, assuming it actually comes out this year, Cyberpunk 2077 has a great deal of my interest. I'd think it'd make Frank's significant other very happy, too. :p
Also looking forward to it, but since it's also by CDProjectRED who're releasing TW3, and the hype over CP2077 hasn't been geared up in over a year, I'm going to say "2016 at its earliest", unfortunately.

Rezzing this thread for introspective purposes, since most of the games we all talked about have either been released or delayed, and the stuff coming out for Q4 of the year wasn't even on the radar last year as definite 2015 releases (Fallout 4, fuck yeah).

So I'm gonna take a stab at my mid-thread list:

Evolve: Enjoyed the hell out of it for a while, then sold it to pay for Bloodborne.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: FUUUUCK YEEEES. I've put in well over 300 hours and I'm still fucking playing it. Trying to get my wife back in, but since she took a break just before G-rank, we're trying to get her through the toughest shit in high rank. Anyway, this game is still fun as hell. I've switched to a new weapon, which makes it feel like a whole new game. They're still releasing free DLC each month and I've barely scratched any of that content. Love the hell out of this; best $40 I spent all year.
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.: Ugh, this was a huge disappointment. I got about a third of the way through the game and just quit. Wasn't having fun.
Bloodborne: Played through this twice already. Beautifully made, fantastic--every positive thing that's said about it is true. And apparently it's changed quite a bit since the beginning of the year, so I'll have much to look forward to when the expansion comes out.
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin: Didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker: Or this.
Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D: Or this, sadly. I think I prefer to have Majora's Mask in my memories and Zelda memorabilia than as something to play through again.

Zelda U: DELAYED
Persona 5: DELAYED
New Fire Emblem: DELAYED

Splatoon: I crossed this out because of the lack of local multiplayer that's any fun, and if it were my game, I'd probably have sold it by now, but my wife adores it. I still play now and then, but not like she does.

As for non-list stuff, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth 3D has been easier for me to get into than the PS4 version; it's an excellent commute game. And then Super Mario Maker took me by surprise. I haven't touched it this week, but I have a couple levels I really want to make. Just been busy and level-making is not only time-consuming, but you don't realize time passing while you're doing it, which can be dangerous on work nights.

I won't make a 2016 hype thread until we get into December. There's a lot to look forward to next year unless more of it gets delayed.

Broken Age, Chapter 2: I enjoyed it, as I knew I would. At least until the absolutely frustrating 3 or 4 hugely unintuitive puzzles.
Arkham Knight: *long pause, followed by sobbing* Really shouldn't have pre-ordered this.

Rezzing this thread for introspective purposes, since most of the games we all talked about have either been released or delayed, and the stuff coming out for Q4 of the year wasn't even on the radar last year as definite 2015 releases (Fallout 4, fuck yeah).

So I'm gonna take a stab at my mid-thread list:

Bloodborne: Played through this twice already. Beautifully made, fantastic--every positive thing that's said about it is true. And apparently it's changed quite a bit since the beginning of the year, so I'll have much to look forward to when the expansion comes out.
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin: Didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to.
It's pretty much universal among the fans that Dark Souls II isn't a BAD part of the Souls series, but is fundamentally weaker than Dark Souls I from a design stand point, especially because of the repeating bosses. Doing it once as an optional thing would have been a fun nod to the first game, but they did it 2-3 times.