2011 MacBook Pro & Lion: First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I just bought a new MacBook Pro since I had to give my 2007 model back to the state of Louisiana. These are my first impressions.

MacBook Pro
I've only had it a day, and I must say that I'm not a huge fan. It is certainly thinner and lighter than the 2007 model, but that form factor seems to have come at a price, especially in the display. The bezel is wider, and the black color makes it disappear into the screen itself. This seems like a step backwards. When I got my first Aluminum PowerBook back in 04, the very first thing I noticed was how the screen virtually went to the edge of the lid. In 2007 when I upgraded, the first thing I noticed was the larger bezel. Now in 2011, I see it's gotten larger still. Isn't this the wrong direction? Why? The black keys also seem like a step back. Gone are the slick adjacent keys in favor of calculator-like spaced out keys. The typing feel is more natural on the 2007, since the keys are bigger and concave on the top, catching my fingers if they stray. And why black? The whole silver/black scheme feels like a throwback to 1985 HiFi. Frankly, it's unattractive, and I'm brave enough to admit that aesthetics plays a role in my preference for a mac. The specs are all naturally higher than the 2007, so there's not too much to say there. Not a fan of the missing DVI port, since the preponderance of monitors and tvs have either dvi or vga inputs, but not thunderbolt. Computers may cycle out, but tv's stay around for years. Those are first impressions. I will update as I play with it more.

Lion
Lion is.... disappointing. One of the biggest reasons for my preference for the Mac is the OS. I was somewhat disappointed with some of the changes in Leopard (Tiger being my favorite OS so far), but they were counterbalanced by the awesomeness that is Quick Look. Mission Control is okay, but the iOS-ness of the OS is irritating. For all the complaints I had about the hardware bezel, there's not enough software bezel in the new OS, especially in the core apps. They just sort of ... end. Apple toned Cheetah and Jaguar's stripes pinstripes for Tiger, and then got rid of them in Leopard in favor of a bright gradient gray. Now the artsy OS is completely dead. Lion is back to boring, flat, putty gray, reminiscent of Windows classic on many windows. Some gradient exists on the toolbar and window frames, but it's duller. Modal dialog boxes are plain and flat. Reminds me of Motif widgets in the *nix world. If it weren't for the still-present awesome font rendering that makes my eyes nostalgic every time I have to work on Windows 7 at work, I would have a hard time identifying the mac-ness. The iOS like gestures are useful, but the natural scrolling has to go. The paradigm makes complete sense. Push up to scroll down. After all, that's what you would do to a piece of paper. Unfortunately, decades of pulling the scrollbar down to move down has trained me too well. But you can turn it off. The drop shadows cast by foreground windows are big and fuzzy like Windows 7's. Yet another thing that has gradually happened. Tiger had distinct shadows, and Leopard less so.

Overall impressions
Apple, I'm a huge fan, but I've never been a blind fanboy. Both the hardware and software seem like a step back in some ways. You're pandering to your iOS base, and I guess from an economic stance, that makes sense. The usual tight engineering is still there, but it's missing that essential mac quality. The OS is missing the characteristic little firsts in favor of borrowing from iOS. Again, these are first impressions. Hopefully I will change them with experience.

I think Lion's strengths are in the usage features. I love having built-in versioning for documents. I'm really looking forward to iCloud because I use a desktop, laptop, and iPad -- no more moving documents between systems and hoping you're not overwriting the newest version! And AirDrop is so much nicer and easier than having to dig for the other user's public folder. Versioning and iCloud should also improve syncing of apps. I know Moneywell (which I use for banking) is going to be updated for Lion, which will fix its syncing (I had to turn off syncing with my iPad, it was so slow). MacJournal would also benefit from Lion (I love using it, but its sync capabilities are pretty terrible).

The new gestures took a day or two to get used to, but I use my iPad so much that it was a fairly smooth transition. Now I find using my old MacBook (which maxed out on Snow Leopard) is frustrating with the old scrolling method.

I didn't care for the overall look of the new macbook pro's for a bit either. After using mine for awhile it now feels all kinds of normal and right. It's a classy little (well, I guess at 17" it's not that little but it's still smaller than the pc laptops I carried for work that were 14-15") machine. Bevel, black keys and all.

As far as Lion goes, I like some of the changes but I haven't had time to dig into it much since I'm only using it on my desktop right now. When I know it's super stable I'll update my laptop. I don't need any issues with my show computer. I am liking the gestures on my desktop with the magic trackpad. Mission control is cool and as good as the previous thing they had, however Launchpad is made up of ten kinds of redundant dumb.

fade

Staff member
I actually like Launchpad, personally. I use Quicksilver for this (or Spotlight on other people's macs). But this is something that has been missing since the old rainbow apple menu disappeared. The Apple recommended approach of opening a Finder window to the Applications folder always seemed a bit slow and awkward, even compared to Windows 95.

Apple method of opening a program has been for a long time: Click on program in dock. The finder is how windows folks generally try to open an application.
Between the dock and quicksilver AND spotlight launchpad is only one more way to get between me and what I want to do. Not to mention it dumps EVERYTHING in launchpad and you get to spend 800 hours grouping apps one by one trying to get it in some sort of order. Well, until I realized I would never use launchpad. Then I stopped wasting my time. If at some point launchpad gets more functionality I might try and figure out a use for it but right now I have 3 other ways to open programs that are faster than dealing with launchpad.

fade

Staff member
I don't agree about the dock. It's like a favorites bar. They're not all there, and there's no consistency to what program installs a shortcut itself there. You still have to go through the same exercise of picking and grouping with the dock, too. One advantage of Launchpad is that everything is already there at least. Honestly, I forget about the dock, because I have it auto-hiding because of the real estate it eats up. I think the dock is confusing to the less computer literate, and I certainly disagree that it's only the windows folks that use finder.
Added at: 18:09
I mean, the launchpad is a moot point to me, because I use QS. But from the perspective of the average user, I think it has merit.

Re: Lion

1) I'm hugely used to the iOS version of scrolling, so the change feels natural to me.

2) I love the versioning of the various productivity programs to the point of hating the (admittedly crappy) Windows laptop I use with Office at work.

3) I've always used the dock only for favorites, so the rare times that I need something else, Launchpad works nicely for me. I know Spotlight is technically faster, but I've somehow never gotten into that habit.

4) I upgraded from Snow Leopard, and when I did so, I noticed two things immediately. I had more space left on my harddrive, and everything was faster. That by itself would have satisfied me.

1) I'm hugely used to the iOS...
And this is the most important point, like it or not, about the whole thing. It's going to mean the bajillion iphone/ipad users are going to be more comfortable with a Mac. Mission Accomplished.

As to the Dock: I feel like, and this isn't a scientific survey mind you, that most folks I know use the dock as their primary program launcher, thats why so many peoples docks have 800 apps in them. But you are right, it was supposed to function as a favorites thing at least until they let you start grouping stuff in it. Then it's just your own imagination as to how many thing you want in it.

I have no issues with the idea of launchpad but I guess in the end it feels clunky and pointless... for me. I get that the average user will find it familiar to their iPad so it's good for them. I think it's clunky and needs some streamlining, but really it doesn't matter. I move to fast to use it anyway. With QS and Spotlight it feels like it takes forever to use anything else to open a program so I will probably never use it anyway.
Added at: 07:48
As to speed, I feel like my Mac Pro is much snappier with Lion on it. Things are def. faster.

I was playing around with LaunchPad and noticed it had included a bunch of uninstallers and other "apps" that are hardly used. So I did some poking around and found LaunchPad-Control control panel, which allows you to hide apps from LaunchPad.

LaunchPad isn't really much different than having my Applications folder in the dock, so I'll give it a try for a while. I think with LaunchControl, and being able to control what shows up there, it's going to be more useful.

I jealous of all of you. My iMac has finally fallen to a defect in the gfx that caused most the iMacs of the time to die within 2 years (mines 6, first gen intel iMac). To make matters worse even if it was working I still couldn't use Lion because of the Core Duo in it. So I'm stuck reading awesome Ars Technica reviews and longing for the day I replace the iMac for a new OSX device (thinking MacBook Air possibly).

Still I love some of the ideas behind the system. Like letting the OS determine when to kill applications and the save state of programs.

You can change the scrolling in the system preferences.

You can change the scrolling in the system preferences.
I HATED the new scrolling at first. Then it just... started working. Now my only annoyance is the way things like safari do the little "scroll past" the actual end/top of the page and bounce back. Works on my iPod touch but seems weird and unnecessary on the computer.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I know you can change it (I actually said that in the OP), but if it's the new way, I'll just get used to it.

Second impression: It's getting better. I've tweaked things a bit. After running the color calibration, the chrome seems much less dull. The new mail is growing on me, too. I saw that there's a "put it back the old way" checkbox, but I decided to go with it. It's not bad, especially when you turn off the useless message body preview. That makes sense on iOS where you can't see the message in the adjacent pane, but it's redundant on the desktop.

One thing I do love: the new gestures (aside from being a little freaked out by the animated finger that popped up on the screen when I first started up). I never used dashboard or expose before, but with the swipe up and the more rich interface of Mission Control, I've been using them a good bit. I also like the back and forward gestures in Safari.

fade

Staff member
Espy, have you tried Alfred?

I was looking around for the future of the aging Quicksilver, and I found this on the App Store. Most of the prolific comments are from QS users who switch, saying it's far more useful than QS, etc. I'm going to give it a try.

I've seen it but haven't had time to give it a go. Maybe I'll check it... Let me know what you think. I know QS is long in the tooth but damn does it still do almost everything I need it to (but who knows? Maybe alfred does stuff I didn't even know I needed it to do!).

Status
Not open for further replies.