Export thread

Zack Snyder to Direct Superman

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Zack Snyder To Direct Superman Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

Excuse me. I'll just be over here, sighing deflatedly. Talk about the one choice I didn't expect, nor want.

Adam

Adammon

Unsurprising. 300, Watchmen. They're comics right? He can direct another comic book movie, no problem! *sigh* At least we'll get slow mo.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Chris Nolan's still producing though.

I hope they duke it out over Snyder's shittiness.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Chris Nolan's still producing though.

I hope they duke it out over Snyder's shittiness.
Hint: most producers don't have much control over creative shit. Hence Steven Spielberg producing Transformers and Michael Bay producing several movies where nothing explodes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

300 is why he got Watchmen.

Watchmen should be why he SHOULDN'T get Superman.

Here's hoping the script and everything else will overtake whatever he might butcher, here.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That depends what amount the producer gets involved. Some just slap their name on it, others get into the grit and see what's going on with the movie.

Also, Chris Nolan and Jonathan Nolan are writing the script. Yeah, I know, the director can rewrite or deviate from the script. But you can't seriously believe that a director is going to have unlimited control when the same person is producing over him and writing the script on the foundation level of the movie. He's pincered. Doesn't mean he won't shitty it up, but unless Nolan gets distracted with the next Batman, I can't see him letting Snyder run wild.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Oi.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I liked both 300 and Watchmen. As long as the new Superman movie isn't as slow and boring as Superman Returns was, there's a good chance I'll like it too.

LittleSin

LittleSin

With baerdog on that one.

phil

phil

oh man, what if they make a bad superman movie? That's never been done before!

hint: every superman movie has been pretty shitty in at least one way.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

One and two haven't aged well. Three and four, nuff said.

I liked Superman Returns. :(

Norris

Norris

I actually find this comforting. He might actually know what he's doing.

Iaculus

Now I'm just curious as to what Superman as a music video would look like.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm with Baerdog and LittleSin. Sounds good to me.

Steve

Steve

Hopefully they'll use Lex Luthor as the villain. I think he's been underutilized in the Superman movie franchise.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hopefully they'll use Lex Luthor as the villain. I think he's been underutilized in the Superman movie franchise.
Maybe something to do with real estate.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I adore the original Superman: The Movie. And no, not for nostalgic reasons--I didn't see it until Superman Returns came out. It's honestly a solid approach to Superman without taking itself overly serious (which Returns did).

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I adore the original Superman: The Movie. And no, not for nostalgic reasons--I didn't see it until Superman Returns came out. It's honestly a solid approach to Superman without taking itself overly serious (which Returns did).
I really think Reeves got the Kent/Superman personalities pretty nailed down, too. I loved how doofy and clumsy he was as Clark.

Vagabond

V.Bond

I liked Superman Returns. :(
Me too. But I'm going to be boring and make the most common complaint that it was TOO LONG.

I thought Bryan Singer made a great Superman film that didn't spend enough time focusing on Superman.

Covar

Covar

Superman Returns was a steaming pile of shit that got exactly 0 things right.

Brian Singer was responsible for 2 shitty super-hero movies that summer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What was the other?

Baerdog

Baerdog

X-Men 3

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Superman Returns was a steaming pile of shit that got exactly 0 things right.
WRONG

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It sure had more wrong than right.

Hopefully they will take a look at Supes in the DCAU and actually read a few comics before writing this movie. It just seemed that the writer of the last film knew nothing of the character.

Covar

Covar

Anything right in Superman Returns was simply a result of Brian Singer's inability to stop jacking off to Richard Donner's Superman movie. Seriously I have Superman and Superman II on dvd, I could have just stayed home and watched them instead of seeing Singer recreate scenes shot for shot while replacing Gene Hackman with Kevin Spacy doing a Gene Hackman impression, and a brown haired deadbeat dad.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I do love how the mythic representation of the American Ideal, knocks up his girlfriend and flees the solar-system.

fade

fade

I didn't care much for Returns because it was boring. That's the ultimate sin in a superhero movie. Even the disaster scenes practically put me to sleep. And the characters, especially Lois, were forgettable. I didn't even remember what she looked like until I saw it again on cable.

You know what it did have, though? A full NYC. I like that. I liked that about 60-80s movies. For some reason, starting in the 90s, movies got lonely. Streets got empty. But look before that. Tootsie walks down a full street. Hanks is in an alive NYC in Splash. Ghostbusters felt like it was real because of that. Contrast with, say Hellboy. I loved Hellboy before anyone gets me wrong. But the city is dead empty. The subway station feels like a staged diorama. It's too bad Returns was probably only doing it as an homage to Donner.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You do realize that Snyder had nothing to do with that one? He left the X-franchise to work on Superman Returns.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You do realize that Snyder had nothing to do with that one? He left the X-franchise to work on Superman Returns.[/QUOTE]

Neither did Singer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I...

Bloody hell, my head's been all Snyder the last few days.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Right, but his departure is partly to blame for why X-3 is such a pile of crap compared to the other two.

Espy

Espy

Anything right in Superman Returns was simply a result of Brian Singer's inability to stop jacking off to Richard Donner's Superman movie. Seriously I have Superman and Superman II on dvd, I could have just stayed home and watched them instead of seeing Singer recreate scenes shot for shot while replacing Gene Hackman with Kevin Spacy doing a Gene Hackman impression, and a brown haired deadbeat dad.
Charlie is still right though. He didn't get ZERO things right, the shuttle scene was amazing. So he got ONE thing right. The rest was, truly, horrific. Maybe with some really, REALLY good editing it could have been saved but... I doubt it.
Honestly, I'm totally cool with Snyder doing this. In Nolan we trust.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

New info: Apparently Snyder was picked for Superman because the David Goyer script is a mess and Warner Brothers felt Snyder wouldn't waste a lot of time fixing it like other directors.

This just fills me with optimism.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oy. Joy.

Glad to see Warner Bros. is taking their superhero properties so seriously. Wasn't the superhero properties going to be their new focus, once Harry Potter was done?

So much for that.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'll be where I always am when a Superman movie comes out... having more fun someplace else. Or not born yet. In this case, the former.

Covar

Covar

A friend bought me Supergirl on dvd last night. I haven't watched it yet, but it can't be any worse than 3, 4, and Returns right?

fade

fade

And we never heard from Covar again...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

They will likely sucker me in like they did from Superman 3 on.... the bastages...

Superman 3 was still better than most of the concepts that were batted around by Tim Burton and Nic Cage before Superman Returns... Either an alien Captain America or an alcoholic Supes...

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

A friend bought me Supergirl on dvd last night. I haven't watched it yet, but it can't be any worse than 3, 4, and Returns right?
There's a reason you never see it on cable. I think it is worse than Smallville, which I still watch :/

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Let's put it this way.

Years ago, I bought a 4-disc collection of the Superman movies. Upon consideration, I sold 3 & 4 so as not to taint 1 & 2.

I have never, EVER owned a copy of Supergirl.

Ev. Er.