XKCD WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

Okay, I don't understand today's XKCD. not at all. I mean, I don't even have a clue where to start; normally if I don't understand it I can at least figure out why - because, say, I've never studied some nerdy subject like Math - but with this one I'm just, well: :wacko: Can anyone help?

Alt text: It looks good, but needs more postfixins

T

ThatNickGuy

Pff. This one's easy.

The picture is CLEARLY a hot dog laying outside of a hot dog bun. And the hot dog has mustard on it.

K

Kitty Sinatra

oooooooooh! That makes sense. Yeah, I can see it now.

. . . I still don't get the joke.

hehehe

I laughed at this one twice - first, because it's terribly funny.

Second, because I know that a good portion of today's geeks won't have a clue.

It references Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) a style of entering calculations into a calculator popular with HP calculators (and others) many years ago. HP calcs still include that mode.

It's stack based, so you enter one number into the stack, then enter another number into the stack, then you press the operation you want to perform on the top two numbers.

In a 'regular' calculator you might enter:

4 + 5 =

And get the result 9

In an RPN calculator you enter

4 5 +

And the result goes back on the stack, showing 9.

In a sense, the equations are turning inside out:

(40 - 32)/9

becomes

40 32 - 9 /

Remember the result goes back on the stack, so the subtraction result ends up on the stack waiting for the 9 and / operation.

It's very, very, very simple to write a program that interprets RPN, which is one reason it was used years ago on many calculators. It's still used today partly out of habit for some people, and for others it's a more 'natural' way to think about a calculation (which is true for many types of calculations).

-Adam

T

ThatNickGuy

My head hurts.

And I still don't get it.

Can we get a layman's "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out" explanation?

K

Kitty Sinatra

oooooooooh! That makes sense. Yeah, now I know why I don't get the joke.

. . . I still don't get the joke.

T

ThatNickGuy

Maybe it's symbolism for the current US and Iran nuclear crisis.

I read stienman's explanation and mentally facepalmed, I totally should've gotten that. I worked on a Reverse Polish Notation calculator for a programming assignment in university.

K

Kitty Sinatra

And I gave her a Reverse Polish Sausage. (She had way more fun with me)

Was anyone else disappointed that the mustard was on top of the sausage? That's the wrong notation.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

I think this wins the award for most esoteric joke ever.
More so than this one?

fade

Staff member
It's not that esoteric if you know RPN. Like someone said up there, RPN works kind of like Romance language adjectives: you get what the adjective modifies first, then the modifier. In RPN you say the numbers being operated on first, then the operator.

"Normal" math: bun + dog = hotdog
RPN: bun dog + = hotdog

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Also, the second is a classic problem: the Traveling Salesman, which tries to find the quickest route between multiple cities. It's not an easy problem to solve simply, hence the big numbers in the big O notation (which is a non-processor specific way to express how long something will take to finish on a computer). The last panel just says the the salesman circumvented the problem by using eBay. Pretty funny actually, if obvious.

I started undergrad at a predominantly engineering school about the time HP calculators were losing ground to TI graphing calculators. So I had just enough experience with the former to appreciate the simplicity of the latter.

And just enough experience to get the joke, apparently.

fade

Staff member
Which I precluded by limiting the set.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.