XKCD 9/18 -- The Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soliloquy

You know, the newest xkcd pretty much sums up my feelings about our search for intelligent life in the universe.

(i'd include the alt text, but it's not that great)

D

Dusty668

Alt Text: I am so excited about the Kepler mission. This is the second most important thing our species has ever done, right behind inventing the concept of delivery pizza.

I cannot argue about his priorities other than to say it's the third most, actual best, Bacon.

J

JCM

Funnily, we could pretty much be ants to alien civilizations.

Maybe anal probing = their version of fat kid burning ants with magnifying glass?

figmentPez

Staff member
*sigh* Fond memories of playing SimAnt as a kid. I wonder if I'd have as much fun playing it today. I think I lost my discs, though, too bad.

T

ThatNickGuy

*sigh* Fond memories of playing SimAnt as a kid. I wonder if I'd have as much fun playing it today. I think I lost my discs, though, too bad.
You could always "legally obtain" it from an "anonymous friend" on the internet.

Isn't SimAnt now considered an abandonware title so that it is able to be downloaded for free from abandonware sites?

Isn't there like an updated unofficial SimAnt out there with modern flash graphics and shit? I swear I saw it a couple of years ago.

huh.

figmentPez

Staff member
Isn't SimAnt now considered an abandonware title so that it is able to be downloaded for free from abandonware sites?
The company that owns the game, Maxis, is still around and producing games. I was under the impression that the concept of abandonware was supposed to be for games where the copyright holder is no longer a functioning company, or can't be identified. I'm pretty sure Will Wright is still actively interested in the Sim franchise, even if Maxis isn't currently selling each and every title.

I've even seen quite a few games touted as "abandonware" even though they were currently being sold new. Some of LucasArt's adventure games were declared abandonware, even while they were still being sold on LucasArt's site in their Classics collections (which then were discontinued, and are finally beginning to be offered again on Steam and elsewhere).

Status
Not open for further replies.