X-men: First Class in the works as a movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. The X-Men are ridiculously overhyped, with a far too confusing continuity (even for comics) for me to really enjoy, anymore. X3 was total crap and Wolverine was...well, better, but not by much.

Wow... you're not seeing the same spectrum of light that I am if you thought W:Origins was better than X-Men 3. Hell, I'm doubting you even have HUMAN EYES.

Really, I think the Wolverine movie gets more hate than it fully deserves due to the treatment of Deadpool.

I'm DEFINITELY not saying that it was a good movie, or even a passable attempt at a movie, but most people are more fixated on GRGGGGLLLLGRGRGGLLGLG BARAKADEADPOOL BLARGADY HERPADU than what really made the movie bad.

What really makes the movie bad is the fact that Wolverine is a wooden, one dimensional character that coasts on the "ZOMG Wolverine is so kewl" appeal.

That's basically Wolverine's description as a character in general, anyway.

Honestly, I dug most of the movie, though. It wasn't until Gambit - my least favourite character of all time - showed up and turned the whole movie into a huge sucking vortex of suck. How does someone go from being knocked out in an alley to suddenly running across twenty rooftops into the same alley?

That's basically Wolverine's description as a character in general, anyway.
That's was actually my point.

I was fine with the movie right up to the part with the Blob.

Gambit is right up there in the same boat as Wolverine, re my original post.

No no.. ignore the Deadpool factor. Origins was just a way, way worse movie than X3 in every single way. Plot, acting, fun factor and fuck even special effects. Those fracking claws looked like the CGI was made by an undergrad student playing on Maya in between classes sometimes. The bathroom scene comes to mind, for instance. Or the fucking wedgie Sabretooth got everytime he "ran" ferally. Seriously, the wire wasn't visible because erasing them is second nature to editors now. Ugh. That movie was just a complete and utter clusterfuck of suck.

I'm not saying X-Men 3 was a good movie MIND YOU.... not at fucking all. It was fucking terrible and even outright deplorable. But to the same level of suckitude as Origins it does not sink. Few things do.

Hrm. While I do not hold the vitriol towards the last two entries in the franchise others do*, they represent an exponential drop in film quality from the first two entries. While Vaughn as the director is not the best news I could have heard (Kick-Ass was good...but not X2 good...then again, Layer Cake was amazing), Singer being involved creatively in any capacity is a major step in the right direction. We shall see.

Though it will be interesting to see if they can it it out in time for 2011. As I recall, Paramount is slated to be releasing not one but two Marvel Studios flicks next summer - Thor and Captain America. Being as X-Men is still in the hands of Fox, Marvel could end up in the strange position of competing with itself for box office gold. Huh.

*They are, in my opinion, decent films. Enjoyable even. They've got NOTHING on the truly shitty and nigh-unwatchable super-hero flicks like Superman IV, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Blade Trinity, Spider-Man 3, the Captain America TV movies, et al. They inhabit the middle ground, the mediocrity zone inhabited by the Fantastic Four films, Daredevil: The Director's Cut, Batman Forever, Superman III, et al. Your mileage may admittedly vary, as they could fall anywhere from mediocrity to shit to so bad its good (Supergirl, Steel, etc).

What's with everyone and X2... it wasn't that good.
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I think people generally hold it as even better than the first movie and one of the best comic flicks that's been put out. But to each their own.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I think people generally hold it as even better than the first movie and one of the best comic flicks that's been put out. But to each their own.
Better then the first, sure, but ppl seem to view it as great... i just don't see it.

X-Men 2 is one of the best super hero movies ever created, up there with Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight and Iron Man 1-2

Better then the first, sure, but ppl seem to view it as great... i just don't see it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir! I absolutely agree! All the X-men movies were just okay. Way too much Wolverine. Little to no character development (except for Wolverine, I guess). They were better than Elektra & Daredevil, but not nearly as good as Ironman. Hell, I had a better time watching The Incredible Hulk, but it was on-par with the X-movies, IMO.

X-Men 2 is one of the best super hero movies ever created, up there with Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight and Iron Man 1-2
Spider-Man 2 didn't impress me as much either... but that might just be because i prefer the amoral scientist Doc Ock myself. Make him sympathetic by his goals instead of having him conflicted (and the nanites making him evil was too close to Gobby).

And the Dark Knight tried too hard to be deep imo. For a film to really be deep it has to feel more natural.

The thing with all three of those (Xmen 2, Spider-man 2, Dark Knight) they were all free of the burden of main character introductions. We know who the X-men were so we didn't need to waste anytime with origins and were able to get right to the action. Same with SM 2.

I think Dark Knight is a great film period.

Cajungal

Staff member
I think that Spiderman 2 is a great movie, but I never watch it, because it really bums me out watching bad thing after bad thing happen to Peter Parker. The poor bastard can't even get a lousy mini quiche at that party. I mean, come on! Enough bad things are happening, give him one lousy quiche!

The thing with all three of those (Xmen 2, Spider-man 2, Dark Knight) they were all free of the burden of main character introductions. We know who the X-men were so we didn't need to waste anytime with origins and were able to get right to the action. Same with SM 2.

I think Dark Knight is a great film period.
This is Bowielee's sequel law of super hero movies.

The second movie in a super hero franchise will almost always be the best film in the series.

Why, do you ask?

OK, you're not asking, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

The second is usually superior to the first for just the reason that you stated above.

It is usually superior to the 3rd, because that's when the studio heads start to butt in and try to decide how they can squeeze more money out of the franchise.
Examples of this include:
Spiderman 3 and the inclusion of Venom via studio pressure.
Superman 3 and the inclusion of Richard Pryor.
Batman Forever and the handing over the franchise to Joel "batnipples" Schumacher

I've been saying this for years.

This rule does not apply to movies that had crappy first outings to begin with, such as Fantastic Four.

Your rule is kinda broken with Iron Man 2, though. I think I've finally decided that the first Iron Man is better, not by MUCH, mind you, but there it is.

Cajungal

Staff member
Wow... you're not seeing the same spectrum of light that I am if you thought W:Origins was better than X-Men 3. Hell, I'm doubting you even have HUMAN EYES.
Ya know, after reading this, I tried really hard to think about which one of these I disliked more. But it's like thinking about what kind of crap I hate stepping into the most.

No Cyclops or Marvel Girl, but includes Havok?! Practically the character's entire history is about him playing second fiddle to a member of his family. The only time this wasn't true was during Peter David's first run on X-Factor in the 90s.

Now, if they get Peter David to pen it, I'll be good with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.