Wolfy's Semi Monthly nervous breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WolfOfOdin

As you all know, I've been accepted to a rather nice dual doctorate program.

So far I've been doing well in paying for the damned thing, with the idea that I'll have a good job and will be able to pay it off rather easily.

Here's the fun part though, I have, for a time been doing this with no family assistance.

That was fine, till now. Seems that my usual private student loan refuses to accept me sans co-signer now, due to the economy going kerfluffle. Upon asking my grandparents for help, I was told "We honestly never wanted you to go to college, we wanted you in the military. Hell, we half expected you to be dead in the desert by now." With a resounding no on them co-signing.

>_> I'm wondering, how do I beg a close friend to help me in this situation?

Wow, grandparents, that's cold.

Sucks that you're in that situation, I take it you've already asked if there is any possible way to go without a co-signer? Asking friends might not work out too well, because that's a big risk on their part, though you might try for any extended family that you could hit up.

But seriously, that is so fucking wrong of them. However, you can hit them with Irony later on: When they need your help, you can go to them and say "Wow... I don't think so. I honestly didn't want you to live this long... I thought you'd be dead somewhere in Florida by now!"

WolfOfOdin said:
"We honestly never wanted you to go to college, we wanted you in the military. Hell, we half expected you to be dead in the desert by now."
Please tell me that this is a horribly exaggerated rendering of their words, or at least that they are the sort of people that can say the above with an ironic and disarming smile.

W

WolfOfOdin

Rob King said:
WolfOfOdin said:
"We honestly never wanted you to go to college, we wanted you in the military. *, we half expected you to be dead in the desert by now."
Please tell me that this is a horribly exaggerated rendering of their words, or at least that they are the sort of people that can say the above with an ironic and disarming smile.

Hahaha...God almighty I wish so. No, those were the actual words.

I've gotten worse from them though, as has my mother. He once advised me to hang myself at the age of 14 so that I wouldn't be a burden. To this day I don't know if he was kidding or not

WolfOfOdin said:
I've gotten worse from them though, as has my mother. He once advised me to hang myself at the age of 14 so that I wouldn't be a burden. To this day I don't know if he was kidding or not
:bush: I don't even know what to say about that... :humph:

WolfOfOdin said:
Rob King said:
WolfOfOdin said:
"We honestly never wanted you to go to college, we wanted you in the military. *, we half expected you to be dead in the desert by now."

Both my grandfathers died before I was born, but both were great men in the community. One grandmother is positively a saint, and the other is a quiet old lady.

I could not imagine having such bile filled grandparents. Why in god's name are they still in your life?

R

Rubicon

WolfOfOdin said:
Rob King said:
WolfOfOdin said:

Your grandparents and my family would get along tremendously. It ain't fun when they hit ya in the noggin with some cold hearted bullshit statement like that is it?

I'm fightin tooth and claw to get away from mine, I'd suggest the same for you.

WolfOfOdin said:
Rob King said:
WolfOfOdin said:

Oh yeah, you need to "grampa, you gonna live much longer, you're starting to be a burden already" up on his ass.

What's this bullshit about "trying to get away from your family"? It's freakin cake.

You up and take your shit, get in a vehicle, drive for a week/month. Find a place you're satsified with, rent a hotel monthly till you get a solid job/house hunt, and tada, new life sans family.

P

Pojodan

:bush:

I will simply never understand how someone can be so vile to their own family members.

Shegokigo said:
What's this bullshit about "trying to get away from your family"? It's freakin cake.

You up and take your shit, get in a vehicle, drive for a week/month. Find a place you're satsified with, rent a hotel monthly till you get a solid job/house hunt, and tada, new life sans family.
Not in this economy...

@Li3n said:
Shegokigo said:

Not in this economy...
Oh? I actually would find it easier as things are becoming much cheaper.

Well I'd expect anyone who's been fighting to get away from family to have a small savings to do it with. If not, then go with my plan anyway, but expect to find work with a temp agency/odd job till something better comes along.

Well that's planning it for a while, so not just getting up and leaving. And the job thing was what i was referring to when i said the thing about the economy...

But if you have money and jobs are available then good plan.

Temp agencies are always hiring. The work might not be that pretty, but it's income.

I lived on next to nothing, in a shit split level 2 room apartment for the first year of my "family split" (the rent was literally $200 a month). Was worth every minute of it.

Perhaps talk to close friends/not grandparent relatives to see if anyone will co-sign with you. I mean, how confident are you that you won't end up fucking them over with this? If people know you and know that you're not going to let them down or something maybe they'll help out.

failing that maybe try talking to your school to see if they can help with financial aid or something.

Seconded (eleventhed?) on your grandparents. That's seriously cold.

Regarding asking your friend for help, I suppose you could approach it much like how you'd ask to borrow ten bucks. Ask sincerely, explain your situation in as much detail as you can, keep no secrets about why you need to ask for help, and don't give your friend any pressure to offer assistance. I'm sure really good friends would want to help, though I recognize not everyone will be able to, in this current economic environment.

Twelved on the grandparents. Inform them you'll be voting in favour of forced euthanasia at 75.

And, can't your mother co-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.