Why does everyone hate the Star Trek Enterprise theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

Just wondering why everyone hates it so much? I like it, particularly version 2.

version 1:

version 2:

Because up to that point the themes have been some sort of instrumental air marshmallows... Enterprise added lyrics to the Air Marshmallow and ruined the whole series.

Because the lyrics are lame and insipid, and the backbeat and actual music aren't interesting enough to override them (a key requirement of pop music, imho). I specifically sing it to piss off my girlfriend.

They really should have had the mirror universe theme in the first place.

When a series that has a large gathering of fans over many decades does an about face on theme music and ambiance, then of course there's going to be friction. It has nothing to do with the song itself, and everything to do with change.

Further, it introduces the show as a drama. Now, we all know it was a drama in the first place, but at least that was all hidden behind cool space sounds, pseudo-technical jargon, hot aliens, phasers, and so forth.

To explicitly state, "Hey, you know, this is a tale of friendship, alliances, betrayal and hope" right at the beginning with a silly 90210 theme song? It's just not going to sit well with the fans.

As an aside, why does everyone generalize?

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Also, it's wistful. Looking back and yearning for times gone by.

How much more powerful could it have been if the entire theme was a hopeful desire to move forward and seek out the future? To boldy go where no theme has gone before?

But I've never seen the show, and I'm quite certain if I had I would have grown used to it.

To me, the theme song for Star Trek should give an image of grandness, adventure, and/or heroics. It should not sound like a guy with a mullet singing a sappy 80s power ballad.

The music in the vid Frank posted is so much better. It ‘evolves’ along with the images, starting with a nautical feel from the woodwinds, to a grandiose low-brass sound reminiscent of WWII movies for the advent of airplanes and rockets, then the electric guitar and brass takes us into The Future with spaceships. And it fits with the other themes. The comments say this was supposed to be the theme song until the suits got involved. Damn. Maybe I would have given the show more of a chance if the theme hadn’t grated on my nerves.

I liked the song... but i would have never figured out it the intro to a Star Trek show... heck, once the first ep. started i still wasn't sure until the first klingon showed up.

To me, the theme song for Star Trek should give an image of grandness, adventure, and/or heroics. It should not sound like a guy with a mullet singing a sappy 80s power ballad.
Agreed.

And then when it goes down badly with fans they performed a poor patch up job

It's actually a great song. It just doesn't belong as the theme for the show. The Star Trek series has always been a sort of episodic serial space opera, and it really should have had something grander. The theme would've made a good one for the closing credits, but I agree with Sara Slappy up there. This show really felt more like SeaQuest, and even SeaQuest DSV had a better theme.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.