Whateley Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Does anyone reads or knows the Whateley Universe http://www.crystalhall.org/

for what I gather is a group of super-heroes stories shared by several authors and set in the same "super-universe", with the twist that most of the main cast is transgender in someway... It is enough to make me curious and scared, I would like personal opinions.

Also, sugestions of others super-heroes internet based works would be good :)

I

Iaculus

Does anyone reads or knows the Whateley Universe http://www.crystalhall.org/

for what I gather is a group of super-heroes stories shared by several authors and set in the same \"super-universe\", with the twist that most of the main cast is transgender in someway... It is enough to make me curious and scared, I would like personal opinions.

Also, sugestions of others super-heroes internet based works would be good :)
Not read the Whateley Universe yet, but heard a lot about it. One very good piece of superhero fiction on the 'Net is Interviewing Leather, a story about a journalist who rapidly gets in over his head when he's sent to talk to a supervillain. Nice little subversive take on superhero (and villain) psychology.

Not quite the same, but recommended anyway, is Sailor Nothing, a magnificent and very dark deconstruction of the (loosely) approximate Japanese equivalent, magical girl shows. Even if those aren't your thing (and I'll be honest, they aren't exactly mine), it's very worth reading.

Sailor Nothing is also a reconstruction in some ways, as it DOES have a happy ending for most of the people involved, including one of the villains.

And yeah... Whateley universe is kinda messed-up, though you can learn A LOT about it from TV Tropes. They pimp the hell out of it on there.

I

Iaculus

Sailor Nothing is also a reconstruction in some ways, as it DOES have a happy ending for most of the people involved, including one of the villains.

And yeah... Whateley universe is kinda messed-up, though you can learn A LOT about it from TV Tropes. They pimp the hell out of it on there.
Deconstruction doesn't mean 'always depressing, all the time', just that the genre is being taken apart and examined in a more 'realistic' setting. A reconstruction would be putting that genre back together and playing it as straight as possible in order to remind the audience what was so awesome about it in the first place, and that's not really Sailor Nothing's objective. Check out Astro City for a good reconstruction.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

Deconstruction doesn't mean 'always depressing, all the time', just that the genre is being taken apart and examined in a more 'realistic' setting. A reconstruction would be putting that genre back together and playing it as straight as possible in order to remind the audience what was so awesome about it in the first place, and that's not really Sailor Nothing's objective. Check out Astro City for a good reconstruction.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you put a genre in a "realistic" setting it would be likely to have a bad ending anyway :p

I actually first heard of whateley in TV Tropes, there is a great deal of fans out there, but you know that this means biased opinions as well :|

Status
Not open for further replies.