whale wars is the funniest show on tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

My favorite part of the show is the epic theme song "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" which so perfectly encapsulates the struggle of the Sea Shepherds.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I've never watched the show, but in every commercial I have seen for it Paul Watson seems to be capable of only one facial expression. It reminds me of the .

Wildsoul, your avatar turns me on like no other. :hump:

Oh, there's a thread here? :bush:

Um, my stance is DEATH TO THE EMO WHALES AND THEIR HAIR COMBOVERS! :twisted:

Every time I watch whale wars, I'm overcome by how incredibly stupid the entire cast seems to be, and wonder how they've managed not to all be killed.

Kissinger said:
My favorite part of the show is the epic theme song "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" which so perfectly encapsulates the struggle of the Sea Shepherds.
:rofl: I need to start watching this show.

Ravenpoe said:
Every time I watch whale wars, I'm overcome by how incredibly stupid the entire cast seems to be, and wonder how they've managed not to all be killed.
Same here.

I saw a bit of one episode yesterday. All I gathered was that they were offended that the Japanese called them eco-terrorists while they were preparing molotovs to throw at their ship. Also, if I remember correctly, one of the eco-terrorist ships was called the Steve Irwin?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Frankie said:
I saw a bit of one episode yesterday. All I gathered was that they were offended that the Japanese called them eco-terrorists while they were preparing molotovs to throw at their ship. Also, if I remember correctly, one of the eco-terrorist ships was called the Steve Irwin?
they aren't molotovs, they're bottles full of buteric acid. But yeah, the ship they use is called the Steve Irwin.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Funniest thing that happened on the last episode: they sent their little boats out to attack the ship and after misunderstanding the code word for attack (They were able to communicate because, unlike one episode in the first season, they actually remembered to bring a satellite phone onto the little boats), one of the little boats dropped a big rope in the water to fuck up the propeller on one of the Japanese ships. The first time they dropped it, they missed the Japanese ship completely. The second time, the prop just cut the rope. The third time, the Japanese stopped and just pulled the rope out of the water. Then the little boats went back to the Steve Irwin.

Another successful attack by the Sea Shepherds.

Kissinger said:
Funniest thing that happened on the last episode: they sent their little boats out to attack the ship and after misunderstanding the code word for attack (They were able to communicate because, unlike one episode in the first season, they actually remembered to bring a satellite phone onto the little boats), one of the little boats dropped a big rope in the water to fuck up the propeller on one of the Japanese ships. The first time they dropped it, they missed the Japanese ship completely. The second time, the prop just cut the rope. The third time, the Japanese stopped and just pulled the rope out of the water. Then the little boats went back to the Steve Irwin.

Another successful attack by the Sea Shepherds.
They also missed with their Butryc Acid, and decided to try to throw it up the ramp they drag whales on. This is also where the largest water cannon was located. They were kept at bay until a huge blast hit a cameraman and horribly bloodied his nose/face. Then they turned around and went home.

Don't forget how every time they launch one of their little boats, it gets lost. So they try to call on the radio to ask if they're ok, and there's never any answer for 45 minutes until the little boat finally shows up on the horizon again.

And when the captain asks why they didn't answer the radio calls? They didn't think it was important.

You sure run a tight ship there, cappy.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Charlie Dont Surf said:
They also missed with their Butryc Acid, and decided to try to throw it up the ramp they drag whales on. This is also where the largest water cannon was located. They were kept at bay until a huge blast hit a cameraman and horribly bloodied his nose/face. Then they turned around and went home.
What exactly is the butryc acid supposed to do? I know it smells like puke, which is horrible, but how does this deter a large whaling vessel?

WildSoul said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
What exactly is the butryc acid supposed to do? I know it smells like puke, which is horrible, but how does this deter a large whaling vessel?
I don't know, but in my head I say it as "butt-rick" acid and it makes me laugh.

WildSoul said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
If they throw it on a harpoon thing, then they assume the Japanese won't want to/be able to use it until they waste time cleaning it or it wears off or whatever? I dunno. They don't really follow any logic out there.

WildSoul said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Considering the boat they're attacking is essentially a mobile slaughterhouse, I would have assumed that the crew would be so used to disgusting smells that a 'stink bomb' would be useless.

Rob King said:
WildSoul said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":1sqqwest]
Considering the boat they're attacking is essentially a mobile slaughterhouse, I would have assumed that the crew would be so used to disgusting smells that a 'stink bomb' would be useless.[/quote:1sqqwest]

Isn't it supposed to taint the meat, or something? To the point that they (assume) they can't hunt any more whales until they wash it away?

Though, given the huge water cannons they have, I'm not sure just how much of a delay that would cause.

Just watched the first episode. Their incompetence is highly entertaining and I can't wait to see how they try to fake a shooting.

Ravenpoe said:
Rob King said:
WildSoul said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":1qbmjfl1]
Considering the boat they're attacking is essentially a mobile slaughterhouse, I would have assumed that the crew would be so used to disgusting smells that a 'stink bomb' would be useless.
Isn't it supposed to taint the meat, or something? To the point that they (assume) they can't hunt any more whales until they wash it away?

Though, given the huge water cannons they have, I'm not sure just how much of a delay that would cause.[/quote:1qbmjfl1]

Wow, that seems so obvious. I can't believe I didn't think of that possibility.

All that said, I don't understand what exactly has kept these morons from getting shot. I say we move that Russian Somali Pirate hunting operation south, and sic them on the crew of the Steve Irwin.

Rob King said:

All that said, I don't understand what exactly has kept these morons from getting shot. I say we move that Russian Somali Pirate hunting operation south, and sic them on the crew of the Steve Irwin.
Simple: Japan is already in enough trouble over the whole whaling thing, what with the huge international backlash from doing it, not to mention the decline of people eating it (mainly because youngsters didn't grow up eating it like their War-born grandparents). If they actually killed somebody while trying to hunt whales, it would give the people hunting THEM all the justification they need to start shooting them and that would be the end of whaling.

AshburnerX said:
Rob King said:

Simple: Japan is already in enough trouble over the whole whaling thing, what with the huge international backlash from doing it, not to mention the decline of people eating it (mainly because youngsters didn't grow up eating it like their War-born grandparents). If they actually killed somebody while trying to hunt whales, it would give the people hunting THEM all the justification they need to start shooting them and that would be the end of whaling.
Fair enough. I understand why the Japanese aren't shooting, then. But these guys are very good at pissing people off. Just looking at Whale Wars makes me wish some horrible tragedy would befall these guys, and I haven't eaten whale yet once in my life.

Besides that, these people (or people similar enough to them that it ceases to be important) are operating in other parts of the world where their cause is less popular, too. I look at the Canadian seal hunt, and I know that Greenpeace-type groups have been trouble before. In recent years the Government has declared that any non-sealing vessel has to stay a certain distance away from the sealing vessels. PETA talks about it like it's an attempt at a cover-up, but it's probably more for the protester's safety than anything else.

Cajungal

Staff member
Never seen it. When I first saw the title, I was hoping for actual whale wars... big aquatic mammals thrashing at each other and looking badass and whatnot. When the premise was first described to me, I was disappointed.

Rob King said:
Fair enough. I understand why the Japanese aren't shooting, then. But these guys are very good at * people off. Just looking at Whale Wars makes me wish some horrible tragedy would befall these guys, and I haven't eaten whale yet once in my life.
But do you wish it enough to get up, buy or rent an expensive boat and crew and go Shepard hunting?

I'm guessing nobody actually wishes to harm them enough to actually put down the money to go hunting.

Besides that, these people (or people similar enough to them that it ceases to be important) are operating in other parts of the world where their cause is less popular, too. I look at the Canadian seal hunt, and I know that Greenpeace-type groups have been trouble before. In recent years the Government has declared that any non-sealing vessel has to stay a certain distance away from the sealing vessels. PETA talks about it like it's an attempt at a cover-up, but it's probably more for the protester's safety than anything else.
The government has come under a huge amount of fire due to the pictures of men clubbing seals that are taken each year so I really doubt that they don't realize the value of keeping protestors and journalists at bay. Especially since they only issue the observer permits for opening day at noon making it a mad dash for journalists to even be able to use them.

Dubyamn said:
The government has come under a huge amount of fire due to the pictures of men clubbing seals that are taken each year so I really doubt that they don't realize the value of keeping protestors and journalists at bay. Especially since they only issue the observer permits for opening day at noon making it a mad dash for journalists to even be able to use them.
Oh, there is probably an element of that, yes. But I have heard anecdotes of fishermen getting into fights with reporters/protesters on shore. Protesters have managed to get more guns onto sealing vessels, which they deem a more humane way of killing seals, somehow. But guns are also better for attacking protesters who are shouting from other boats, and I'm sure all it would take is a bit of harassment to send some sealers over the edge.

L

LordRavage

Cajungal said:
Never seen it. When I first saw the title, I was hoping for actual whale wars... big aquatic mammals thrashing at each other and looking badass and whatnot. When the premise was first described to me, I was disappointed.

Ditto.

Nuke the whales! :D

S

Steven Soderburgin

WHOA DID I HEAR THAT SMASHING PUMPKINS SONG GOIN ON THAT CAN ONLY MEAN ONE THING

WHALING ENDS TODAY

-- Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 pm --

completely coincidentally, whale wars time is also "drunk as fuck" time and as such I am drinking a shitload of liquor tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.