Website/Domain question for you wizards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you guy:
The business that I took over from the previous manager had domain hosting for it's website through a local company. Costs about 110 a year.
Is that a good deal? If it isn't and I want to switch to different hosting can I do that and keep our domain name? This really isn't my area of expertise so I turn to you, help me Halforum Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Espy said:
Question for you guy:
The business that I took over from the previous manager had domain hosting for it's website through a local company. Costs about 110 a year.
Is that a good deal? If it isn't and I want to switch to different hosting can I do that and keep our domain name? This really isn't my area of expertise so I turn to you, help me Halforum Kenobi, you are my only hope.
It's about average, depending on what features you need. I pay $99 a year for my site. You can pay as little as $25.00 a year if your needs are modest (no database needed, small amount of hard drive space, not much traffic, no asp.net, that kind of thing).

If you change hosting companies you can keep the domain. the two are not related. When you change companies, you go to your domain company and point the domain to the new site.

How much should the Domain renewal be? They are charging me 50 bucks. That sound about right? Oh and, thanks Tin.

Hmmm... I will have to find out if that's a yearly price. 150 for 3 years sounds costly. The invoice is vague.

O

Olorin

Seems a little bit expensive... Domains are about $15 a year I think, and hosting could cost less than what you're paying, depending on how big and popular the website is.
I only have experience with European hosting providers though...

Moving a website can be a bit of a hassle. It's possible that the site would be unreachable for 2 days and there could be small problems if the software on the two servers are different. (different versions of php for example)

I use Avrixe and it cost me like $96 for two years of hosting. of course that is there personal class so i have no idea if that's a)usable for you and b) will fit your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.