To our LOTRO players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone give me a basic rundown of the classes/races?

I'm going through the wiki's and it's alot of info to absorb, wondering if I can get a cliffnotes version from our current players. I'm going to be hitting the 10day trial and possibly picking up the game itself in the next couple of days. Want to know ahead of time what I'm going for.

My usual playstyle is either stealthy or ranged. Rarely do I play upclose and personal classes.

Another question:

From what I hear there have been a few content patches that "further the story". Is it possible to experience all the "epic storyline" from a single player standpoint or is some of the "lore" raid only?

Shannow

Staff member
Hmm, I playd for a month or two, maybe i should go an reinstall it. Was fun enoguh,t hoguh I didnt get too far into it.

O

Oddbot

Shegokigo said:
Anyone give me a basic rundown of the classes/races?

I'm going through the wiki's and it's alot of info to absorb, wondering if I can get a cliffnotes version from our current players. I'm going to be hitting the 10day trial and possibly picking up the game itself in the next couple of days. Want to know ahead of time what I'm going for.

My usual playstyle is either stealthy or ranged. Rarely do I play upclose and personal classes.
Classes:
Hunter - Ranged DPS
Rune-Keeper - Ranged DPS / Healer
Minstrel - Healer (can also pump out some dps, but not as well as the true dps classes)
Lore-Master (CC/Debuff/Power Battery / dps)
Burglar: This would be your "stealthy" class of the game but unlike many other mmos, a burgs primary roll isn't dps. It's to weaken the enemy through debuffs and it is the only class that can reliably start Fellowship Maneuvers which is AWESOME. They also have alot of other various tricks up their sleeves to make them a very nice grouping class as well as an adept soloer.
Capt: Heavy armored Buffer/healer (Kinda like a paladin)
Champ: heavy armored aoe dps machine, can also off-tank.
Guardian: Main Tank
Warden: Main tank

Shegokigo said:
Another question:

From what I hear there have been a few content patches that "further the story". Is it possible to experience all the "epic storyline" from a single player standpoint or is some of the "lore" raid only?
None of the epic storyline requires a raid. Some parts require a a full party of 6 players though.

Interesting to hear, I'm debating right now between the Ranger, Burglar and the Polearm class, Warden I think it is. But from what you're saying, it's a "tank" and not a dps?

O

Oddbot

Shegokigo said:
Interesting to hear, I'm debating right now between the Ranger, Burglar and the Polearm class, Warden I think it is. But from what you're saying, it's a "tank" and not a dps?
No, wardens are straight-up tanks. If you role them for dps you'll be sorely disappointed.

The three main dps classes are Hunter, Rune-keeper, and Champion. Hunter's and Rune-keepers are pretty equal in having the best single-target dps in the game, whereas champs have the best aoe dps.

O

Oddbot

Yeah, you get a few extra abilities and stat-modifiers depending on your race but nothing game-changing... just like WoW. So pick whatever race you like the look of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.