To All You Awesome Gainfully Employed People... heeeeelp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lally

Okay, I hate to do this again (it seems the only times I make threads anymore are begging for help when my google-fu fails), but I am applying for a job and they are requesting a "summary of experience" as well as a resume. The only time I've ever seen a summary of experience is IN a resume. My second concern with that is that I just graduated, and I have very little relevant experience, and all of it is included on my resume already, as it is my relevant coursework and an internship. I don't know quite know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

[If it's relevant/helpful, my BA is in Useless Book Nerdery (also known as English Language & Literature), and I'm applying for an editorial position that claims to be for entry-level English majors.]

Link them to your summary of posts on this forum as demonstration of your experience with the English language.

L

Lally

Piotyr said:
Link them to your summary of posts on this forum as demonstration of your experience with the English language.
I kinda hope you're joking, because I don't pay attention to my writing here NEARLY as much as I would if I were trying to write something professionally.

But, I hope you're not joking, because if you were, I would feel stupid. And then I would be sad :waah:

Lally said:
Piotyr said:
I kinda hope you're joking, because I don't pay attention to my writing here NEARLY as much as I would if I were trying to write something professionally.

But, I hope you're not joking, because if you were, I would feel stupid. And then I would be sad :waah:
I am joking, mostly. If you've written anything seriously online, though, it can't hurt to include it in a summary of experience, especially coming fresh out of college. Blogs, articles, reviews, what have you.

L

Lally

SeriousJay said:
http://www.nbowmanconsulting.com/AJBResume2006.pdf

Usually a summary of experience is a paragraph or two like this example here. I've seen those with 20+ years exp go for much longer.
That's the only way I've ever seen that done, as well, which was the impetus for me to create this thread. The exact phrasing on the job posting is: "Please submit your experience summary and resume to: Director of Editing Services," so I didn't know if there was such a thing as an experience summary as a second document. It sounded kinda redundant to me, but I don't want to take any chances.... I really need a job. :waah:

Don't stress too much about individual jobs. You will apply to many, many jobs in life, and you're only going to get an interview with a handful, and you're only going to get the job with a paltry few, so don't get overwrought.

It's okay to be excited about individual positions, to focus on them, and put in that extra effort for the things you want, but don't freak out, 'cause it's not worth it, and you can miss things when you're in that state.

Now, do they say anything about a cover letter? That could be all they mean when they say "experience summary". Who you are, what you've done, why you're a good fit for the job, all in a quick, easy-to-read couple of paragraphs with some contact info at the end.

If you're not sure, don't be afraid to call up their HR and ask (as long as the posting doesn't say "don't call").

Don't make excuses over the phone like, "I just graduated...", because that highlights your inexperience and can give the impression you're insecure in your capabilities.

Just say, "Excuse me, I'm interested in ________ position that you listed at _______ . It asks for an "experience summary" besides my resume; do you simply mean a cover letter? I want to make sure I provide you with all the information you require."

Then stop talking and let them answer you. This is information that they want from you in a fashion that will make it easier for them to make a decision, so they have an interest in making sure you send the right stuff the right way.

Lally said:
SeriousJay said:
http://www.nbowmanconsulting.com/AJBResume2006.pdf

Usually a summary of experience is a paragraph or two like this example here. I've seen those with 20+ years exp go for much longer.
That's the only way I've ever seen that done, as well, which was the impetus for me to create this thread. The exact phrasing on the job posting is: "Please submit your experience summary and resume to: Director of Editing Services," so I didn't know if there was such a thing as an experience summary as a second document. It sounded kinda redundant to me, but I don't want to take any chances.... I really need a job. :waah:
I usually put my experience summary in the cover letter, and I believe you can look at a few cover letter guides to give you an idea of what you should include.

I generally take the job requirements and description, pick two or three aspects of the job that I want to highlight my experience for, and then write 2-3 short paragraphs explaining that I've done exactly what they're looking for, and was successful.

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.