"The Rats of Nimh" getting CGI remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lally

If they make this movie with the actual tone of the book, it won't make any money (not off their target demo, anyway).

If they try to turn it into "family friendly cheerful fun" I will be extremely irritated, but at this point, not surprised whatsoever.

That was one of my favorite books when I was younger but I just don't see a lot of kids these days getting excited to see it.

I'm not really big on this idea. Don Bluth may have made some stinkers in his day but this was not one of them. There is no need for a remake.

Nihm (the 1st one) was one of my favorite animated films growing up, and probably one of the first times I enjoyed a villain as a child (other than Maleficent)

Afterwards I got into the novels and really fell in love with the story. So I'm very wary of this remake....

One of my childhood fav's. Unlike the Neverending Story which could use an update this film needs none. How about a nice cleaned up re-release with the colors popping and music remastered, etc...

That comic would have been funny with on more panel:

The guy comes back with the book, pages mostly all ripped out, filled with glue and glitter when she opens it.

P

Philosopher B.

Damn, this reminds me, I bought NIMH on DVD a while ago. I need to get around to seeing it.

C

chakz

I was initially irritated by this, but from the article it sounds more like there making a more faithful adaptation than a remake. Which, I suppose couldn't hurt. If Bluth did alter as much as the article says, then there might indeed be room for two nimhs.

However, the movie most certainly does not need a remake.

Edit: Never mind, I'd read juski's article. I just looked at the one in the OP. Kiddie Hybrid? Alvin and the chipmunks? This is going to suck. :facepalm:

S

SeraRelm

I'm kind of wondering if it could be considered a remake. I think that if it's following the book far more closely and the stylings are entirely different, it could be considered an adaptation instead. The Secret of Nihm will always be one of my favorite movies from when I was little, but I don't think this will ruin that if they're cutting out the stuff Don Bluth added and making it closer to the book itself.

I'm sorry, was this the nerd rage thread?

How dare they remake this! Stop raping my childhood! :angry: :aaahhh: :angry:

SeraRelm said:
I'm kind of wondering if it could be considered a remake. I think that if it's following the book far more closely and the stylings are entirely different, it could be considered an adaptation instead. The Secret of Nihm will always be one of my favorite movies from when I was little, but I don't think this will ruin that if they're cutting out the stuff Don Bluth added and making it closer to the book itself.

Closer to the book would be great, I mean afterall, we all know how Hollywood treats source material..... :humph:

C

chakz

Shegokigo said:
SeraRelm said:

Closer to the book would be great, I mean afterall, we all know how Hollywood treats source material..... :humph:
I'm with shego on this (though i haven't yet read the book), A more faithful adaptation would be fine. But I get concerned when the director uses a movie like "Alvin and the chipmunks" as an example of the direction he wants to go in.

S

SeraRelm

From what I can tell he was using it as an example of how CGI and real life actors/environments can be mixed. One could say Alvin and the Chipmunks mixes them like in Jurassic Park. I don't recall any quote saying "OMG, I wanna make it just like Alvin and the Chipmunks! I'm calling it Frisby and the NIHMrats!"

Not saying it's gonna be either way, but don't jump to unfounded conclusions with exaggerated or incorrect quotes as evidence.

C

chakz

hmmm I suppose you have a point, he could of just been using it as an example of the technical aspects but his choice of words was still uncomfortable. It felt like he was saying "Hey investors, remember how much money Alvin and the chipmunks made? This is totally gonna be like that." Here's hoping your right though and he was just talking about the interactions.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Something I find interesting is that the newer DVDs of Rats of NIMH (and various other older cartoons) have a "G" rating clearly printed on the cover. But this movie is dark as hell, and even has blood spurt out of one of the character's backs when the villain throws a knife into it.

It's just interesting thinking what used to be G and is G now.

Now you're starting to sound like that CAPAlert guy.

I remember the book. I also remember the fact that it came out at the same time as The Dark Crystal. But what I remember most is the incredibly inaccurate translation from page to screen. They took a book about science gone awry and turned it into a Nutcrackeresque fantasy flick. Aside from the botched plot, I thought the movie wasn't too bad. Not great, but not bad.

I would be interested to see if they can pull it off. I guess I would vote more for the style of Mouse Hunt than Ratatouille, but still interested.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.