The Jay Leno Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cuyval Dar

Did anyone watch it/plan to watch it?
I just finished with it, and frankly, I think NBC is trying to kill off Conan.

Not that I mind, of course, seeing as how Conan's material is puerile drivel, and his 'skits' are unfunny.

Did anyone watch it/plan to watch it?
I just finished with it, and frankly, I think NBC is trying to kill off Conan.

Not that I mind, of course, seeing as how Conan's material is puerile drivel, and his 'skits' are unfunny.
It's less this and more they are trying to cut costs by doing another talk show, which have low overhead (mainly because you can get big names on it without paying them.) They did fuck over Conan though, after he spent YEARS paying his dues.

C

Cuyval Dar

Leno's show was boring. I said it.
Your opinion. By the same token, I can't stand Conan.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

I fail to see the humor in this. I legitimately prefer Leno to Conan/Letterman. As the saying goes, you are not posting in a troll thread.

To me Leno was always "that nice boy from down the street." He is funny, but it is just not what I look for in comedy. He just has an appeal to people of a certain age, that likes their comedy "safe."

Conan is just a little too out of left field for the narrow taste of popular American television.

I just hope that one day there will be some one that is as good at hosting a talk show as Carson.

How the hell can someone watch the Conan skits with the TV and moving mouths and not bust a gut laughing? I mean, the Bob Dole and Arnold ones were gold....

That's one thing that Conan does very well... he has a legitimate chemistry with his guests. Leno stopped being funny once he beat Letterman.
I agree. All of these comedy guys -- Leno, Letterman, Conan, Jon Stewart, et al -- of course look for opportunities to throw in their own jokes during interviews, but of those four I listed, Leno never seems like he's also really listening to the person, which the others do. He's just hovering, waiting for HIS moment to interrupt with a dumb joke. With the others, even if the host interrupts with a joke, I still feel like they're listening, and it's a conversation.

I put myself through the pain of watching Spalding Gray on Leno once. For those who don't know, Gray was a master monologuist (who, sadly, committed suicide) and all you needed to do with him as a guest was let him talk. Leno constantly interrupted his intelligent and funny stories with dumb, irrelevant jokes. It seemed like he didn't trust the audience to find Gray interesting on his own.

I used to watch Leno only if there was someone I liked on. After that show, I stopped altogether.

C

Cuyval Dar

Man, this thread went better than expected.
Naturally, I anticipated that most other people on this forum have a raging hard on for Conan.

Seriously, I've tried to watch Conan, but most of the time, he just isn't funny. In fact, in almost every episode recently, the audience doesn't even laugh, except for those who feel sorry for him. I can't see where you guys are coming from, especially with the comments on his interviewing style, compared to the others. I think that they are all the same, as far that goes.

Not trolling, I just can't stand him. Colbert, on the other hand...

The only one I like anymore is Jon Stewart. He's ruined me for all others. I like Stephen Colbert because he's also smart and funny, but the fact that he's playing a role makes it just a little less interesting for me. That and Mr. ZM referring to him as "that guy who looked down your shirt." :rolleyes:

And even on The Daily Show I really only like the news segments, or anything else involving real people, and not the scripted bits with the "correspondents." The real news is just far funnier or more groan-inducing. And of course Jon's interviews (we're on a first-name basis) are the best.

Am I even making sense? I am le out of it tonight.

P

Philosopher B.

Conan's monologues are often boring, his interviews great, and his skits gold. To me, Conan is best when he's being spontaneous. Leno just bores me all around. Plus he's scary-looking in HD. :O

Alternate post: CRAIG FERGUSON.

The only one I like anymore is Jon Stewart. He's ruined me for all others. I like Stephen Colbert because he's also smart and funny, but the fact that he's playing a role makes it just a little less interesting for me. That and Mr. ZM referring to him as "that guy who looked down your shirt." :rolleyes:

And even on The Daily Show I really only like the news segments, or anything else involving real people, and not the scripted bits with the "correspondents." The real news is just far funnier or more groan-inducing. And of course Jon's interviews (we're on a first-name basis) are the best.

Am I even making sense? I am le out of it tonight.
I like Colbert more than most other anchors that've been on since, as it feels like they all try to act like he did. And Jon Stewart is great.

Giving Conan the tonight show: brilliant.
Giving Leno a show right before it, effectively moving their timeslots down: annoying
Giving Jimmy Fallon a show: :retard:

Giving Leno a show right before it, effectively moving their timeslots down: annoying
The thing about Fallon getting a show is now he gets paid to look at the camera and giggle like an idiot in the middle of his lines.

Sadly he's still not funny.

Jimmy Fallon just exudes this aura of discomfort. Like, he never looks comfortable what he's doing and by proxy I'm uncomfortable watching him. That's the best way I've ever heard it described.

I never liked Leno and I tried watching Conan and he sometimes hits the funny, but most of the time he doesn't, for me anyway. Letterman stopped being funny ages ago and Colbert is 50/50. When Colbert is funny, it's really funny though so I still follow his show.

Honestly, the only one who I really enjoy watching is Stewart and because of the same reason as Zen. When he's commenting on the news he's just pure comedy gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.