The Hurt Locker

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

Okay, so yeah, I know I already posted about this movie in that one other thread about the last movie you saw but I really wanted to post about it again because it's opening in (I think) 100 more theaters across the country this week and I really want people to go see it because it is the best movie of the year so far, and I consider it the first great movie of 2009. You should all see it.

For those who don't know, it follows an EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) team in Iraq as they defuse bombs and IEDs. It's a wonderful film and everyone should see it.

S

Steven Soderburgin

here is what i posted in that other thread:

The Hurt Locker is the best film of the year so far. It is the first great film of 2009, and it is the film in which Kathryn Bigelow finally materializes as a great filmmaker. She and her producers financed the film themselves and shot the movie in Jordan with no aid from the military at all, though they did ask. It is a movie in which we hope that nothing explodes, because we care deeply about the people onscreen. Bigelow knows that is the secret to suspense, and takes Hitchcock's Bomb Theory almost literally.

The movie opens with words from Chris Hedges: "The rush of battle is a potent and often lethal addiction, for war is a drug." The rest of the quote fades leaving just the last four words lingering on the screen. This is a film about the people who do dangerous jobs in war. Its setting is the Iraq War, but it could be any war, any time. It does not make being in the military look fun, and it is not a pro-war movie, and the film deftly avoids making any comment on the current situation in Iraq. That's not what Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal are interested in. They're interested in what drives these men and how they can do what they do day in and day out. It focuses its attention solely on the idea presented in Chris Hedges' words.

Jeremy Renner is brilliant as Staff Sergeant William James. The rest of the cast is also very good, but Renner does most of the heavy lifting in the film, and his performance is Oscar worthy. James has the most dangerous job of all the men in his EOD company. The way he approaches defusing explosives is intuitive, and he has great respect for how these devices work and those who put them together. When a bomb challenges him, he is not frustrated, but impressed by the expertise and craftsmanship.

The Hurt Locker is a great film. It's also a rather incredible achievement. I link Roger Ebert a lot, but he probably loves film more and better than anyone else alive today. Here is his four star review and here is what he wrote on his journal about The Hurt Locker.

and a trailer:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIgEhiUVKh8:3vb3y2h5][/youtube:3vb3y2h5]

RAAAGEEE!

This movie will absolutely not be shown in theater here. I will put money on it. I hate the cinemas in this city.

Incidentally, how much does it cost to start your own? :whistling:

R

Roxxoredizorz

Espy said:
Edrondol said:
He gave Bruno 3.5 stars. I like Ebert, but he can be wrong.
That's about what I would give it. Bruno was hilarious. Much better than Borat.
Thank you! It was hilarious, but it had too many penises for my not liking.

S

Steven Soderburgin

This thread isn't about Bruno, which was mildly funny but mostly disappointing.

This thread is about the best movie of the year, The Hurt Locker.

Stop talking about Bruno.

Not enough people have seen the Hurt Locker to speak on it. And Bruno is being discussed to compare Ebert's reviews and show that even he can be disagreed with.

Kissinger said:
This thread isn't about Bruno, which was mildly funny but mostly disappointing.

This thread is about the best movie of the year, The Hurt Locker.

Stop talking about Bruno.
Are...are you trying to keep a thread on topic?

That's adorable.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Edrondol said:
Not enough people have seen the Hurt Locker to speak on it. And Bruno is being discussed to compare Ebert's reviews and show that even he can be disagreed with.
Was anyone arguing that Ebert's reviews are always gospel? I disagree with Ebert often, but I agree with him completely on this film. I was posting his stuff as great examples of insight on this particular film. Not on Bruno, not on The Golden Compass, not on anything other than this film.

I'm planning to see this soon, maybe this weekend. We have about 4 indie theaters in town, all owned by Lagoon. The oldest and "coolest" is the worst to see a movie in (where I saw Moon) and that's where it's playing right now. Should move to the other ones soon so I can see it in comfort.
Oh and Bruno was great. :tongue:

W

Wasabi Poptart

I haven't seen The Hurt Locker. I did just see a commercial for it on tv last night. It looks good, but I don't think I could watch it. It would probably give me too much to think about the next time my husband got deployed.

Cajungal

Staff member
Yeah, things like that are hitting close to home for a lot of people. My boyfriend doesn't play the new, modern call of duty. It freaked him out too much when his brother was over there, and he still won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.