The constitution and its protection - QA/Disccusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_immigrati ... DGPll0fNdF

Ok.... This confuse me a bit, but I thought that the constitution protect the citizens and people who enter the country legally (those rights are extended right?) I.E student visa, visit visa and green card/worker card.

If a person enters the country illegally, are they suppose to be protected by the constitution also? The article above suggest that we should but does other country provide the same rights to the sample I given above??

Any lawyer around to give an opinion?
Any other country forum poster can give some insight on their country and laws in terms of privacy protection?

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
Where the houses owned by illegals?!
ooo... good point.. I guess that would be the loophole.

So if the property own by a legal citizen but rented out to an illegal immigrant, I guess that would be the "loop hole" protection?

Illegals shouldn't be able to own property anyhow, so it's not really a loop hole... it's simply not being allowed to search houses without serious reasons, which apparently they didn't have.

Considering they were in NY and NJ, the searches might be exempted under the 100-mile rule.

Yes, it sucks. It's yet another craptastic thing that got pushed through after 9/11 that should be torn down and shredded, but so far, no action has been taken.

--Patrick

A federal judge in Connecticut last month ruled that federal agents violated the constitutional rights of four illegal immigrants in a 2007 raid under similar issues. The judge ruled the immigration agents went into the immigrants' homes without warrants, probable cause or their consent, and he put a stop to deportation proceedings against the four defendants.
I believe if you are in this country, legally or illegally, you are still protected by the constitution. It's one of the big reasons we put terrorists in Guantanamo.

P

Papillon

Due process rights exist to protect innocent people who, through no fault of their own, have been accused of a crime. If you don't apply them to people accused of __crime__, they stop doing their job of protecting innocent people accused of __crime__.

Edit: IANAL, IANAA (I am not an american).

L

Le Quack

Personally, I think we should treat everyone with those rights. Not just Americans. I don't see the constitution as a privilege;I see it as something everyone has.

Status
Not open for further replies.