Export thread

The Big Fat Music News Thread

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Figure we have a general thread for everything else, soooooooooooo..

To start us off, Faith No More working on first new album in 18 years.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I used to listen to Angel Dust on a loop when I was in high school.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I used to listen to Angel Dust on a loop when I was in high school.
I didn't get into them until late in high school, when I was big into the Chili Peppers and other similar types, but man I was all about FNM for a long time.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I didn't get into them until late in high school, when I was big into the Chili Peppers and other similar types, but man I was all about FNM for a long time.
Yeah, I don't really know what to call that genre exactly... Alternative Grunge? FNM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janes Addiction, Primus, etc... These were all bands that I loved in high school.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I mean, FNM/RHCP definitely have a big funk influence, but Primus is just...well, Primus. I don't know if you can classify them, much as I like them.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Figure we have a general thread for everything else, soooooooooooo..

To start us off, Faith No More working on first new album in 18 years.

I wonder if this will be as good as Chinese Democracy.

Side note: Once, many years ago, I made a vow that one special day, I would finally get to play Duke Nukem Forever, and do it while listening to Chinese Democracy. That day did in fact come. It was horrible.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I mean, FNM/RHCP definitely have a big funk influence, but Primus is just...well, Primus. I don't know if you can classify them, much as I like them.
I'd say they're more punk influenced than anything else. There's also the fact that they are ALWAYS openly tripping balls.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682642,1409682568][/DOUBLEPOST]I remember thinking that Les Claypool was a freakin' genius back then. I kinda still do.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wonder if this will be as good as Chinese Democracy.

Side note: Once, many years ago, I made a vow that one special day, I would finally get to play Duke Nukem Forever, and do it while listening to Chinese Democracy. That day did in fact come. It was horrible.
The difference is FNM hasn't been working on the album for like 20 years. Mike Patton also hasn't spent the last decade morphing into Chris Farley.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When I first glanced at that, I thought that was current day Axel Rose.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'd say they're more punk influenced than anything else. There's also the fact that they are ALWAYS openly tripping balls.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682642,1409682568][/DOUBLEPOST]I remember thinking that Les Claypool was a freakin' genius back then. I kinda still do.
RHCP definitely pulled a lot from punk in the early years for sure, but I think, especially as Flea evolved as a musician, that funk became a prevalent flavor in their music (even if you don't count the Higher Ground and Love Rollercoaster covers). At this point, though, they've turned off both those roads and really become their own thing, which is great. Californication is still one of my all-time favorite albums.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682873][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is. This is Mike Patton:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It is.

Bowielee

Bowielee

RHCP definitely pulled a lot from punk in the early years for sure, but I think, especially as Flea evolved as a musician, that funk became a prevalent flavor in their music (even if you don't count the Higher Ground and Love Rollercoaster covers). At this point, though, they've turned off both those roads and really become their own thing, which is great. Californication is still one of my all-time favorite albums.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682873][/DOUBLEPOST]

It is. This is Mike Patton:

Sorry, I meant Primus, not the Chili Peppers.[DOUBLEPOST=1409683000,1409682941][/DOUBLEPOST]Doh, I missed the whole Chinese Democracy thing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh. Well yeah, that's definitely true. Claypool's some kind of mad genius, though. He and the whole band just went off the wall nuts and cranked out all kinds of great stuff.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Another fun one, Deadmau5 issued a C&D to Disney for the unlicensed use of Ghosts 'n' Stuff.

Zappit

Zappit

U2's brand new album is free on iTunes until October 13th.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, it coincided with the apple press release, where they performed. I can't help but feel like this is just a publicity stunt so they can claim to have the biggest album release ever.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

maybe if they paid me