The best DS "game" concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

You walk around with your DS in your bag, and it translates WiFi signals that become in-game swag.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/100/1000940p1.html

While I hated Animal Crossing or all Pokemon after the first (who wants to spend 4 hours in a game to gain items?), the idea of taking along a different path during my morning hike to get different wi-fi signals seem great.

Now if they´d just make a game around this....

Nifty.

On the topic of best DS game concepts, I really really want more Hotel Dusk style games (other than its predecessor Another Code), as it's the best "game" I've played on the DS so far.

J

JCM

Try Broken Sword DS, the production and animation is awesome, specially the Dave Gibbons art.

Also try the Jake Hunter Story: Memories of the Past, the game itself isnt as polished as the Phoenix Wright games, but there´s also a damn funny Chibi-like mode where its bloody hilarious, Flower, Sun, and Rain, damn weird but if you are into Killer 7 you should like it, Diabolik: The Original Sin for an old-school Alone in the Dark/Monkey Island adventure game

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings is more of a 3D action game, but its pretty good.

What games are those, Ash?

This sounds like a cool concept. My problem with it is that it sounds like it's the whole game. I'm happy to have concepts and gimmicks, but they should add on to existing gameplay, rather than pay $30 for a minigame.

escushion said:

This sounds like a cool concept. My problem with it is that it sounds like it's the whole game. I'm happy to have concepts and gimmicks, but they should add on to existing gameplay, rather than pay $30 for a minigame.
Nanashi no Game and Nanashi no Game Me. It's a series about an old school RPG game that kills people who don't finish it within 7 days, kinda like The Ring. You alternate between exploring the "real" world while being pursued by hostile spirits and playing the old school RPG, trying to figure out the cause of the curse put on the game. The second game has to deal with a college student who finds the game, as well as a cursed platformer.

J

JCM

AshburnerX said:
escushion said:

Nanashi no Game and Nanashi no Game Me. It's a series about an old school RPG game that kills people who don't finish it within 7 days, kinda like The Ring. You alternate between exploring the "real" world while being pursued by hostile spirits and playing the old school RPG, trying to figure out the cause of the curse put on the game. The second game has to deal with a college student who finds the game, as well as a cursed platformer.
Fuck.

I want to play that, back when DSFanboy was still separate from Joystick they used to run a petition to bring it over (they also had an awesome "homebrew of the month" collumn".

Is it me or does the DS have an overall great number of ideas being created for its game?

AshburnerX said:
escushion said:

Dayum, that sounds like an awesome concept. Do want.

Ok...I'm not much of a DS gamer (mostly just play it for the Castlevanias) but holy fuck, I want to play those.

Denbrought said:
Nifty.

On the topic of best DS game concepts, I really really want more Hotel Dusk style games (other than its predecessor Another Code), as it's the best "game" I've played on the DS so far.
Hotel Dusk wasn't really a game though. More like a $30 detective story from a nickle magazine.
It had a great concept behind it but the design was sloppy and linear. Now I know games have little choice but to be linear sometimes, but for a detective game this was beyond linear. You had to complete every step in the exact order. Characters and locations were only available if they were involved with the current step (For example you'd have to find a certain character and low and behold he's behind the only unlocked door in the hotel). Characters had to be spoken to a certain way other wise you'd recieve an in game message that says "So and so is angry at you. You lose." and then have to start the chapter all over again.
I'd love to see something with a little more actual exploration involved. Maybe something with more puzzles that didn't require everything to be done in the exact order, or more options when interacting with the other characters.

A

Aisaku

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The World Ends With You already. Yes, the Kingdom Hearts style might be offputting but it's the game with a great plot, great mechanics that use all of the DS's capabilities. It even uses wifi for levellingyour skills! I mean, besides allowing exchanging your inventory with other players.

And although it uses little to nothing of said capabilities Shin Majin Tensei Devil Survivor has had me glued to the screen. Very in depth mixture of SRPG and adventure with a MT twist.

C

Chibibar

Aisaku said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The World Ends With You already. Yes, the Kingdom Hearts style might be offputting but it's the game with a great plot, great mechanics that use all of the DS's capabilities. It even uses wifi for levellingyour skills! I mean, besides allowing exchanging your inventory with other players.

And although it uses little to nothing of said capabilities Shin Majin Tensei Devil Survivor has had me glued to the screen. Very in depth mixture of SRPG and adventure with a MT twist.
I do love "The world ends with you" I just hate Joshua so I haven't finish 2nd story yet.

Chibibar said:
Aisaku said:

I do love "The world ends with you" I just hate Joshua so I haven't finish 2nd story yet.
I hated him at first, too. But he grows on you, and the game gets totally wild in the final act.

C

Chibibar

Ravenpoe said:
Chibibar said:
Aisaku said:

I hated him at first, too. But he grows on you, and the game gets totally wild in the final act.
hehe.. I better go finish it then cause I wanna start on 3rd story :)

Ravenpoe said:
Chibibar said:
Aisaku said:

No, Joshua is ALWAYS a jerkass. However, his STORY is interesting.

That being said, finish the game. You'll be glad you did.

J

JCM

AshburnerX said:
Ravenpoe said:
Chibibar said:
Aisaku said:

No, Joshua is ALWAYS a jerkass. However, his STORY is interesting.

That being said, finish the game. You'll be glad you did.
He does redeem himself, and worst of all, I had Joshua at 50+ DEF and ATK when I had to start [spoiler:3o7p9uqo]with Beat[/spoiler:3o7p9uqo], who had no DEF, and maybe 10 of ATK.

Took me 10 days to make the bugger strong enough so that I could kill off the mammoth boss/blue noise in Day 2.

BTW, Zen, if you are listening, get the World Ends with you after youre done with Chrono, its pretty much the best 2D rpg square has put out in a long time (and aside from Vagrant story/Crisis Core, the best game)

A

Aisaku

^__^ Can't wait for the reaction threads to the whole story. Too bad it didn't sell well so a sequel is unlikely.

J

JCM

Its an interesting concept, and fun to mess around with while going shopping (Jesus, many people have iphones down at Parkshopping, the biggest mall here), but thats about it.

Theres no game.

A

Aisaku

What do you mean there's no game? To me that it at least tries to be different and succeeds makes up for the lack of lenght of the main game. Also it is a triumph of great game design both in the visuals and audio, not to mention interface wise. Not to mention the writing, which I thought was the best I had seen in a ds rpg so far. That is until Devil Survivor came up but that´s a different story.

J

JCM

Aisaku said:
What do you mean there's no game? To me that it at least tries to be different and succeeds makes up for the lack of lenght of the main game. Also it is a triumph of great game design both in the visuals and audio, not to mention interface wise. Not to mention the writing, which I thought was the best I had seen in a ds rpg so far. That is until Devil Survivor came up but that´s a different story.
Im not talking about "The World Ends with you" (which is my favourite DS rpg), but Treasure World, which was the game in my OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.