The American way is dead? Buy a truck and get a gun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Mike

TeKeo said:
The Mike said:
I just though about it, I get an AK and a good run away vehicle, and I've never committed a crime in my life.

(downloading stuff doesn't count)
I think we should all be glad that the RIAA doesn't usually take their shit back by armed force.
Yes we should "Sir, drop the mouse and slowly walk away from the computer"

crono1224 said:
since not just cars kill people :p
Whoa whoa whoa, this is about cars and we can all agree that without cars all kids killed by cars would not be killed by cars.

Cat said:
crono1224 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, this is about cars and we can all agree that without cars all kids killed by cars would not be killed by cars.
But cars have a practical purpose besides killing things.

Flimsy argument.

Bowielee said:
Cat said:
crono1224 said:

Flimsy argument.
So killing things is never practical? You should tell all the hunters that, I don't think they know yet. :heythere:

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Cat said:
crono1224 said:

Flimsy argument.
So killing things is never practical? You should tell all the hunters that, I don't think they know yet. :heythere:
Re-read I never said that killing things wasn't practical, but that cars have more uses than just killing things.

Besides, Hunting in today's day and age isn't practical at all, it's recreational.

Bowielee said:
Re-read I never said that killing things wasn't practical, but that cars have more uses than just killing things.
Fair enough, but you intone that since they "only kills things" they are bad. Why is that?
Bowielee said:
Besides, Hunting in today's day and age isn't practical at all, it's recreational.
I understand you have your opinion but that is far from true. Many people still hunt for food as well as to help keep population of deer from becoming rampant and destroying environments, which can be a serious problem in many states.

But what if it was for simple recreation? Are you suggesting that if hunting was only for recreation (which clearly isn't the case) that it is then wrong? I'm very curious about this, I hear that a lot, that hunting is bad since it's for sport and I can't ever get a good reason out of anyone as to why that makes it a bad thing.

tegid said:
Surely you understand that a violent crime with a firearm is probably worse than one without a weapon?
Ya, though sometimes one punch can kill a guy too. Weird, definitely the exception, but it happens.

As for myself, from all of the things I've read on the topic, banning guns doesn't seem to help any, and just ensures that the criminals HAVE them, and the law-abiding people don't, but I'll leave the detailed discussion of the relative merits to those with better research skills and better stats.

C

crono1224

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Fair enough, but you intone that since they "only kills things" they are bad. Why is that?
Bowielee said:
I understand you have your opinion but that is far from true. Many people still hunt for food as well as to help keep population of deer from becoming rampant and destroying environments, which can be a serious problem in many states.

But what if it was for simple recreation? Are you suggesting that if hunting was only for recreation (which clearly isn't the case) that it is then wrong? I'm very curious about this, I hear that a lot, that hunting is bad since it's for sport and I can't ever get a good reason out of anyone as to why that makes it a bad thing.
I am sure there is other ways to quell the animal population, and even if not, it just allows hunters to have fun as I am sure they could just let the military or some other organization that needs guns to do it.

Also I am willing to be the number of people who need guns to hunt for food is only a fraction of the people who own them for self-defense and/or recreation.

Covar said:
So can we ban every V12? They're not practical at all, just useful for recreation.
You just love to troll, do V12s kill people?

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Bowielee said:

You have a tendancy to put words in my mouth. I never said that hunting is wrong or bad in any way.

It is a recreational activity. It's more practical to go to the store and buy a steak than it is to invest in guns, a hunting stand and all that goes with it to obtain meat.

crono1224 said:
I am sure there is other ways to quell the animal population, and even if not, it just allows hunters to have fun as I am sure they could just let the military or some other organization that needs guns to do it.
Of course their are other ways, why exactly are they better though? Why is it bad for hunters to do what they love and help the environment out at the same time? Just because you don't like guns? I assume you have a better reason that that.

crono1224 said:
Also I am willing to be the number of people who need guns to hunt for food is only a fraction of the people who own them for self-defense and/or recreation.
Are you saying that self-defense and recreation are lesser reasons for owning guns than hunting for food? What sort of value measure are you basing that on?

Bowielee said:
Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Bowielee said:

You have a tendancy to put words in my mouth. I never said that hunting is wrong or bad in any way.

It is a recreational activity. It's more practical to go to the store and buy a steak than it is to invest in guns, a hunting stand and all that goes with it to obtain meat.
My apologies, it's hard to pick up "tone" in typing and your comment about it not being practical sounded like it was applying a negative connotation to hunting. Thanks for clearing it up.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bowielee said:
Maybe for suburbanites. However, for those who live farther way from major cities I imagine the situation is different. There are still people who get a majority of their meat from game. And they consider it more economical than buying it from a store.

figmentPez said:
Bowielee said:
Maybe for suburbanites. However, for those who live farther way from major cities I imagine the situation is different. There are still people who get a majority of their meat from game. And they consider it more economical than buying it from a store.
I'm from a little town in the middle of the woods in the upper penninsula of Michigan. In a town of just 2000 people, we still had a crocery store, which I'm sure most small towns do.

You don't have to live in a major metropolitan area to have a local grocery store. Even little house on the prairie had one :slywink:

I'm from a family of hunters. My dad was a cop and we used to go out in the woods and shoot guns recreationally. I understand the arguments for guns, and as a matter of fact, if I had the money, I would probably get myself a hunting rifle and go skeet shooting, because it's fun as hell.

So, I'm not in the "guns are strictly bad" camp. I do, however, hold my stance that there's really no reason that anyone would need an AK 47 other than to show off to their friends.

L

LordRavage

Eriol said:
tegid said:
Surely you understand that a violent crime with a firearm is probably worse than one without a weapon?
Ya, though sometimes one punch can kill a guy too. Weird, definitely the exception, but it happens.
I agree with you. We should outlaw hands!

If we have hands in the wrong hands, more lives could be lost.

:D

Totally missed this thread. This is an interesting discussion.

It is my personal opinion that gun DEVELOPMENT should be regulated. I don't think it would be in the best interest of the nation to ban all guns from private use, but I think the reason so many people can get guns illegally in the states is due to the sheer volume of guns that are developed here. How many countries have regional gun shows that show off everything from high powered shotguns to semi-automatic assault rifles? How many countries sell guns at places like Wal-Mart? Our society is downright saturated with guns, and by saturating ourselves with so much, we find ourselves in situations where Billy Joe has a whole basement full of weapons that he decides to pawn off someday to the local gang members for extra cash, or that one weirdo comes across a warehouse full of AK47s and sells them with a car at a dealership. I would much rather have it so the weapons were made in light quantities, for those that actually take the time to register the gun properly and go through the correct checks, but that might just be me. I know gun companies would hate the idea.

P.S. I admit my knowledge in the affair of guns is limited, so maybe such regulations do exist and I am simply not seeing them, but I find the saturation of guns to be excessive in my area, with monthly gun shows. I just don't see the reason to have so many high powered weapons in regular "circulation".

C

Chazwozel

I just think the introduction of cars to this thread as an analogy for gun distribution and regulation is utterly stupid.

Guns are designed for ONE purpose. To kill things. Period!

Cars are not and nor have ever been designed to be killing machines. They're transportation first and foremost.

That said. You require training and licensing for a car.

At the moment in PA anyway, any yahoo can buy a gun on a whim with a 5 second background check. No training, no permit required. Same day purchase and take home. How fucked up is that?

Felons can't buy a gun, Chaz. Also those people that buy guns with no idea what a trigger is are the same people that get killed/kill someone while their gun is "unloaded" but it is their consitutional right to own that firearm and it's their fault that the accident happened and they should be held responsible. you also need a license to buy/own certain types of guns too. that "5 second background check" that you talk about goes through the FBI uses your social (if you provide it, it's optional) and your name, if you refuse to give your social if anyone with your name pops up on the FBI check you can't get the gun until they do a deeper background check. The FBI also doesn't keep records on the background check so every time you buy a gun and they do the background check on you it's treated like you've never bought a firearm before so you get the same background check whether it's your first or 50th. There are exeptions to that, I'm personally exempt from the FBI background check for as long as I have my CHL but on that measure the background check preformed on me for my CHL took more than 4 months to complete from the day I mailed it to the day I recieved it.

T

The Mike

CrimsonSoul said:
Ok mike, do you plan on getting an AK and robbing a bank? No? That's because you are a reasonable person.
I can't, not because I don't think about it but because guns are illegal in my country

L

Le Quack

Well, they do but restrictions on vehicles so people don't get hurt/die.

You have to be atleast 16 to drive a car, seems like a regulation to me.

Edit: I need to read the latest posts.

C

Chazwozel

Pretty much sums up my viewpoint on anything bigger than a 9 mm or standard hunting rifle.

Same goes for Porsches :tongue:

You know the .45 was brought into the service because with the pistols they had when shooting at the enemy they weren't going down because they were hopped up on drugs so they put in the .45 to put their dicks in the dirt. I don't personally like .45's but I like my .40

Status
Not open for further replies.