Export thread

Straub and Erica's Public Breakup?

Calleja

Calleja

I don't know about this... it sorta feels like some of those weird jokes Kris and Scott pulled over Twitter sometimes... I don't explain how else both would be all.... immediately public about it.

http://twitter.com/krisstraub/status/1175246894

followed a few minutes later by:

http://twitter.com/Erica_S/statuses/1175254270

And the sympathetic replies are raining for both of them.

I mean... I don't even know what to say about that. Thoughts?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Gotta love people who use the fucking internet for their relationship ails.

Oh wait

Calleja

Calleja

Erica just tweeted:

http://twitter.com/erica_s/statuses/1175428637

And before that how she was done with the webcomics world and thanked everyone.

Ok, maybe it's not a joke and they're both like... starved for attention.... but...damn. Being D-List online celebrities doesn't mean you have to wash the dirty laundry publicly... right?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Calleja said:
Erica just tweeted:

http://twitter.com/erica_s/statuses/1175428637

And before that how she was done with the webcomics world and thanked everyone.

Ok, maybe it's not a joke and they're both like... starved for attention.... but...damn. Being D-List online celebrities doesn't mean you have to wash the dirty laundry publicly... right?
I would assume he posted that just to let everyone know, seeing as how she was an integral part of his webcomics process (pretty much ran his shipping operation as far as I know)

And perhaps a majority of her "followers" on twitter are just friends of hers that she wanted to let know what she's going through.

I dunno, I mean, it's public and everything, I won't be keeping tabs or anything though.

I hope the best for both of them though

Calleja

Calleja

But then why not just twit "Erica and I broke up today." Instead of giving the "I broke up with her" detail?

Seems in bad taste, is all.

Also, Kris has been known for playing weird pranks like that over Twitter before... but never this.... unfunny. So.. yeah.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If it's a joke, it's terrible and stupid... OR a brilliant satire of the people who use websites like Twitter and Facebook to chronicle their relationships.

If it's real, I wish them both well.

Incicentally, my advice to all my children and grandchildren on their wedding days will be----- Don't chronicle your relationship problems on a website.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Calleja said:
But then why not just twit "Erica and I broke up today." Instead of giving the "I broke up with her" detail?

Seems in bad taste, is all.

Also, Kris has been known for playing weird pranks like that over Twitter before... but never this.... unfunny. So.. yeah.
Ah, I don't follow Twitter so I didn't know about that. :Leyla:

I dunno why he would, other than because it seems like he did in fact break up with her.

But eh, I'm not the gossipy type, so this may be all I write on the topic :humph:

makare

Damn it I actually care about this... what the hell. I don't even know these people I should not care.

:( Well, I hope thinks work out for both of them.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

What's a twitter? :?

Gusto

Gusto

Oh man! Completely outta nowhere! Like what the fuck.

I was all

@krisstraub Wait what?

and I'm still completely lost.

Matt²

I believe a twit is a person who uses Twitter.com?

:teeth:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The Neon Grue said:
I believe a twit is a person who uses Twitter.com?

Listening to this thread, that sounds about right to me. :thumbsup:

makare

since twitter is basically a personal forum that would mean that anyone who uses a forum is just as much of a twit.. but no where near the twitness level of the assholes who bitch about other people doing something they are basically already doing.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

makare1 said:
since twitter is basically a personal forum that would mean that anyone who uses a forum is just as much of a twit.. but no where near the twitness level of the assholes who bitch about other people doing something they are basically already doing.
Oh noes, u hurt mah feelinz. :waah:
I'm gonna internet breakup with you and twitter it! :waah:

Matt²

makare1 said:
who what where why and how now?

makare

Shegokigo said:
makare1 said:
Oh noes, u hurt mah feelinz. :waah:
was anybody talking to you? no? nothing unusual there.

Matt²

k, well actually that's an alpaca, but you should get the general gist.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

makare1 said:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Shegokigo said:
makare1 said:
Hey, I have one for you:

Matt²

ROFL!!!!!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

CynicismKills said:
Hey, I have one for you:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Tells me I have to visit Creepygif.com. :/

Edit: Also, I meant nothing by using that gif, I've just needed an excuse and I figured Shining -> Shining was good enough.

David

David

CynicismKills said:
Shegokigo said:
makare1 said:
Hey, I have one for you:

Did you steal that from me? :shock: I posted it here once a while ago...
Though I in turn stole it from my brother's myspace page... and have no clue where he got it from :teeth:

Matt²

CynicismKills said:
Tells me I have to visit Creepygif.com. :/

Edit: Also, I meant nothing by using that gif, I've just needed an excuse and I figured Shining -> Shining was good enough.
meh no worries.. if you were meaning me,... meh.. if not, ok. :Leyla: :drunk:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

David said:
Did you steal that from me? :shock: I posted it here once a while ago...
Though I in turn stole it from my brother's myspace page... and have no clue where he got it from :teeth:
Possible, I have a large stable of gifs and images and I forget where most of 'em came from.

Chazwozel

What a bunch of idiots. Oh I'm so heart broken... quick... let me twitter/facebook/myspace this so the world knows my pain. What are they? Fucking 12?

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's coincidental yet somewhat entertaining to me that I read this thread while listening to a mix of "fuck the pain away" and "love hurts". :confused:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Chazwozel said:
What a bunch of idiots. Oh I'm so heart broken... quick... let me twitter/facebook/myspace this so the world knows my pain. What are they? Fucking 12?
Hah-this. After 6 months of fighting over TEXT MESSAGES, two of my friends broke up, and I got to hear the whole sad story every time I logged on to facebook. They never unfriended each other either... so you KNOW they're still checking the other's messages.
:eyeroll:

Shawn

Shawn

Life goes on.

Hey, Erica. I hear you are single now.
Call me.

Scarlet Varlet

Calleja said:
I don't know about this... it sorta feels like some of those weird jokes Kris and Scott pulled over Twitter sometimes... I don't explain how else both would be all.... immediately public about it.

http://twitter.com/krisstraub/status/1175246894

followed a few minutes later by:

http://twitter.com/Erica_S/statuses/1175254270

And the sympathetic replies are raining for both of them.

I mean... I don't even know what to say about that. Thoughts?
Welcome to 21st century break up. :bush:

Gurpel

Gurpel

"I didn't know anything could ever hurt this much. I never want to fall in love again. I don't want to wake up tomorrow. I'm going to bed."

lol.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Why do people post this crap where everyone can see it? Honestly...

Espy

Espy

I await the inevitable tell all book on Straub and Kurtz.

Wasabi Poptart

:eyeroll: How stupid.

Chazwozel

Azurephoenix said:
Cause they're friendless attention whores.

Iaculus

Gotta admit, there is something decidedly odd about this. I'll refrain from making judgements until I get further information.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Chazwozel said:
Azurephoenix said:
It's just so sad.

Playing guitar was my way of coping with bad breakups... guess I'm just not with it nowadays... :confused:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Azurephoenix said:
Chazwozel said:
Azurephoenix said:
It's just so sad.

Playing guitar was my way of coping with bad breakups... guess I'm just not with it nowadays... :confused:
Yeah, I used music or talked to friends. At worst there was a LiveJournal post, but those were only readable by friends anyway.

Espy

Espy

We didn't have the internet when I was a kid and had break ups.
So we handled it with non-internet related activities and Cure tapes.

Of course, these 2 aren't kids.

Calleja

Calleja

if you do a search.twitter.com for either @kstraub or @Erica_S you'll see they're getting like 42 million replies a minute with stuff like "awww, I'm so sorry" and stuff.

So they twitted their break up almost simultaneously to get sympathetic replies? This is weird, I insist.

makare

Maybe they just wanted to let people know. Obviously people knew they were dating, I know who straub is but until this post I didn't know Erica existed.

Calleja

Calleja

They had a few video webcast thingies together and Erica helped him with like deliveries and stuff, so she WAS involved in the professional stuff... hence why it weirded me out to see this.

Again, if they just wanted to let people know why give so many details like who broke up with whom and if it hurts so much they can't sleep? These are 30 somethings, mind you.

I dunno, there's something odd about it.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

^

My thoughts exactly...

makare

Calleja said:
They had a few video webcast thingies together and Erica helped him with like deliveries and stuff, so she WAS involved in the professional stuff... hence why it weirded me out to see this.

Again, if they just wanted to let people know why give so many details like who broke up with whom and if it hurts so much they can't sleep? These are 30 somethings, mind you.

I dunno, there's something odd about it.
Well I think that is what Twitter is for recent happenings, feelings, etc.... what do you use your twitter for?

*Twitter still sounds dirty.

The Mike

On one hand I find it childish the way they announced their break up, on the other hand they are people, real internet people like us, If I broke up with my GF I would post about it here, and seek help with my friends (that's you guys, this is were you go aaawwww)

Calleja

Calleja

makare1 said:
Well I think that is what Twitter is for recent happenings, feelings, etc.... what do you use your twitter for?

*Twitter still sounds dirty.

Never for stuff that's THAT personal... when the the ex broke up with me I twitted something akin to "so, yeah, single again"... and that's that, let people know it's over without going all... myspace-y about it.

But I'm not saying it's bad form for people to out emotions in twitter, I'm saying it's weird when semi-celebrities of the online world like these do... they keep a sorta public life, with videos and blogposts and conventions and what not... so them giving out details like that... I dunno, it striked me as odd. And kinda... ew.

I'm still hoping it's some sort of stupid elaborate pseudo-hoax and they're like making fun of couples that break up online or something. I respected Straub a bit more.

Espy

Espy

I wonder what it's like to break up and fire your girlfriend (if she really helped him with stuff that is).

"Sooooooo... yeah, gonna start seeing other people... no, no, don't cry, it's for the best! I mean, the best for me! Cause' I don't really like you anymore! See? It's gonna work out for all of... me. Oh and I'm gonna need you to come in early tomorrow morning, we have got SO much work to do! Now I gotta go get my toothbrush, got a hot date tonight! Wish me luck!"

My life is a pretty open book to you all, but there are things I would never talk about here. Ever.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I dunno... there's a Penny Arcade comic dealing with Twitter that sums up how I feel about it pretty well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it but maybe someone knows which one I'm talking about.

"I'm a Twitter Shitter!"

:puke:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey, guys! Does this look infected to you?--- *incoming pic....*

ElJuski

ElJuski

Espy said:

I still use the Cure for breakups :waah: "Pictures of You" is always there for me, like a little emo bandaid.

Espy

Espy

ElJuski said:
Espy said:

I still use the Cure for breakups :waah: "Pictures of You" is always there for me, like a little emo bandaid.
So true... If I was a little weenie instead of a grown man I might still do the same as well. :Leyla:

ElJuski

ElJuski

Espy said:
ElJuski said:
Espy said:

So true... If I was a little weenie instead of a grown man I might still do the same as well. :Leyla:
I'M A BIG WEENIE

Dunny

My preferred song to get over break-ups is "What It Takes" by Aerosmith.

EDIT: YouTube linking broken?

Calleja

Calleja

I hate that The Cure got retconned into being "emo".

ElJuski

ElJuski

Calleja said:
No, you hate how "emo" became this stupid whiny wave. Weezer is pretty "emo" too.''

EDIT: Actually I'm apparently totally wrong about the Cure and emo. But Pinkerton is totally emo :uhhuh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_music

Calleja

Calleja

ElJuski said:
Calleja said:
No, you hate how "emo" became this stupid whiny wave. Weezer is pretty "emo" too.''

EDIT: Actually I'm apparently totally wrong about the Cure and emo. But Pinkerton is totally emo :uhhuh:

I'm pretty sure that when I was in high school "emo" wasn't a word people threw around at all.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Calleja said:
ElJuski said:
Calleja said:

I'm pretty sure that when I was in high school "emo" wasn't a word people threw around at all.
Check the link. Emo was the indie scene. Emo today is...*shudder* horribly disfigured and mainstream.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'd rather have twitter/facebook to say something like that instead of having to have 40 conversations rehashing it over and over.

Calleja

Calleja

Yay, we can still listen to The Cure without running into weirdos who cut themselves!

ElJuski

ElJuski

And because I can't believe I went this long already without dropping Achewood into dis bitch--
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002

Calleja

Calleja

Awww, but I LIKE The Cure :(

ElJuski

ElJuski

Calleja said:
Awww, but I LIKE The Cure :(
Indubitably, ol' chum. The Cure is pretty good for what they are worth.

Espy

Espy

Love the Cure.

Well, I love OLD cure. After... bloodflowers I was done with their newer stuff.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Espy said:
Love the Cure.

Well, I love OLD cure. After... bloodflowers I was done with their newer stuff.
Disintegration is fantastic. It's true some of that newer stuff gets...hrm. But I do love their greatest hits!

JCM

Calleja

Calleja

Oh, I'm looking at her,all right.

:unibrow:

S

superking

She would never keep her balance like that.
Look at her, she's leaning too far.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

makare1 said:
Maybe they just wanted to let people know.
Exactly why we're making fun of them. :popcorn:

I'm sure their few thousands VERY close friends all needed to know and this was the only way to tell them. :eyeroll:

makare

Shegokigo said:
makare1 said:
Maybe they just wanted to let people know.
Exactly why we're making fun of them. :popcorn:

I'm sure their few thousands VERY close friends all needed to know and this was the only way to tell them. :eyeroll:
Better than having to deal with a thousand strangers asking over and over so what happened with Erica.. where'd she go etc.

Philosopher B.

I dunno. I don't use twitter, but I imagine maybe if you use it constantly it's like a reflex to note stuff like that. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if I came across something like that on a blog. Yeah, it's a bit weird, but I won't condemn them for it, especially since their fans saw them together in loads of videos and might wonder.

Now, if they aired all kinds of dirty laundry and accused each other of crazy stuff, I'd frown on that.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Also, it's not like he made a blog post on any of his comics or anything..

I always assumed twitter was a more personal thing.. I never checked it out though :|

I dunno, it just seems like some of you may be blowing it out of proportion :Leyla:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

One ex and I both went on a certain now defunct forum. We were on there, shared our getting together on there, still posted while together, and after we broke up. Note: AFTER. When we were breaking up (because it took a while) we did not make note of it in our posts, or even make mention of it, until well after it was all over with. And when we posted about it to let those people know, it was a neutral, non-detailed exchange just letting people know it happened, it's over, life moves on, etc, back to talking about video games and such.

That is how, if you must share, it should be handled. Plain, cool-headed, and with hindsight.

Of course, it all goes to shit if even one of the couple chooses to do otherwise. A couple months later, she did a "tell-all" post to let everyone know the details. My only reply, after many people posted sympathies and then asked where I was and what my thoughts were and what was going on, was "I have nothing to say."

I was a stupid 18-year-old. Now, why do these two, much older, should be wiser and more mature, and also people I respect, do this?

Calleja

Calleja

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:

I always assumed twitter was a more personal thing.. I never checked it out though :|

I dunno, it just seems like some of you may be blowing it out of proportion :Leyla:
Uhh.. it's not really personal if you POST links to your twitter account in your MAIN PAGE. Kris and Scott use it constantly to give sneak peaks at upcoming strips or to ask questions about merchandise they're thinking about and they also used it as an instant ustream updater.

Scott says he's gonna do that now with his new pay-to-post fan club thing. But it's far from a personal thing.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Calleja said:
Bumble the Boy Wonder said:

Uhh.. it's not really personal if you POST links to your twitter account in your MAIN PAGE. Kris and Scott use it constantly to give sneak peaks at upcoming strips or to ask questions about merchandise they're thinking about and they also used it as an instant ustream updater.

Scott says he's gonna do that now with his new pay-to-post fan club thing. But it's far from a personal thing.
Oh, my bad. Didn't know all that

I'll just shut my mouth on topics I don't know about :|

Singularity.EXE

I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

I'm gonna go frown upon people having conversations over telly-phones now, don't those young'ins know you could have the same conversation face to face!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Singularity.EXE said:
I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

I'm gonna go frown upon people having conversations over telly-phones now, don't those young'ins know you could have the same conversation face to face!
It's not the form, it's the audience.

Although I consider the guy I knew in high school who broke up with his girlfriend via text message to be a total jackass for it and I stand by that.

Troll

Troll

Singularity.EXE said:

If one of my friends had a break up and decided to call anyone they've ever known to tell them about it, I might frown upon that.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.

makare

A Troll said:
[quote="Singularity.EXE":uqvwnik0]I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

If one of my friends had a break up and decided to call anyone they've ever known to tell them about it, I might frown upon that.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.[/quote:uqvwnik0]

Do you use your answering machine to post stuff like "today I am not wearing socks" or "I really like Jello" like people do with Twitter? Probably not. Answering machine is not the same as Twitter it doesnt serve nearly the same function.

Cuyval Dar

Hey, they took a cue from Randall Munroe. Bitch about failed relationships on the internet.

Singularity.EXE

I will address two things that were previously mentioned; form and audience.

Audience: There are two categories of people on Twitter, people you are following, and people who are following you. Followers are following you because they care about what you are saying, feeling or doing. If I follow Neil Gaiman, its because I am generally interested in what is he doing at various points throughout the day, any content that he wishes to share, I receive because I want to know. Thus, when someone makes a declaration like this, the targeted audience are people who genuinely care about the comings and goings of your life.

Form: Twitter is a micro-blogger, its express intent is to disseminate minor (140 characters or less) updates to an audience. At which point people may or may not have a discussion. An answering machines purpose is to inform anyone calling in that they have reached the correct number, and can leave *you* a message. The two are really incompatible analogies, a closer one would be Twitter and this forum.

Now let's explore this option a bit. A forum is used to express more complex ideas or thoughts, or to disseminate news. The audience is, on-average, the same size as a non-celebrities Twitter cast, and whose role in the forum is to have a discussion with other members. Thus a forum operates like a Twitter cast in its purpose.

So, when we make "man-baaw" threads is that as much "Attention Whoring" as Kris and and Erica? Certainly, but that doesn't mean its that bad of a thing. In both cases the recipient of the message has opted in to receiving it, so they have no ground for complaining of its post existence.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I still say it's tacky, although not as tacky as actually breaking up with someone electronically. But I don't follow either of them so I never have to hear anything.

makare

I guess I keep thinking about when I was going through that stuff with my sister (which I am not going to explain now) it was very personal and stuff but I found it comforting to talk about it on twitter. I know that unlike those guys I dont have an audience, but I still liked having Twitter to whine to.

Kitty Sinatra

Cajungal said:
I still say it's tacky, although not as tacky as actually breaking up with someone electronically. But I don't follow either of them so I never have to hear anything.
I don't get it. As I understand it, people twitter all sorts of personal info regularly. Why would it be tacky to mention what is a significant thing? Wait.

I think it's totally weird to twitter personal shit all day long so it's all tacky to me. I should be asking why is this personal thing any different than twittering other shit?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gruebeard said:
I don't get it. As I understand it, people twitter all sorts of personal info regularly. Why would it be tacky to mention what is a significant thing? Wait.

I think it's totally weird to twitter personal shit all day long so it's all tacky to me. I should be asking why is this personal thing any different than twittering other shit?
I guess it's a personal quirk. I've never been one (nor has anyone in my family been one...) to sob about relationship problems publicly--online or otherwise. It's a close friends/family thing, not to be broadcast. I suppose a breakup is kind of different. I guess people who follow him on Twitter might care about that, friends or not. I, however, get uncomfortable when my facebook friends have a status like:

__(insert name)___ is sooo disappointed in her bf....

OR

_(insert name)__ feels a breakup coming on. :,(

But, like I said, I don't have to read any of it. *shrug* Good luck to em.

Calleja

Calleja

The difference is that we regulars have at most, what, 200 followers? This guys used twitter as a platform for their webcomic, that means THOUSANDS of followers, most of whom where following for updates on STARSLIP stuff, not their personal life.

And I'm not saying it was bad form to share they broke up, I'm saying it was the specific way they did it, too many details that were unnecessary. We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?

F

Futureking

Calleja said:
The difference is that we regulars have at most, what, 200 followers? This guys used twitter as a platform for their webcomic, that means THOUSANDS of followers, most of whom where following for updates on STARSLIP stuff, not their personal life.

And I'm not saying it was bad form to share they broke up, I'm saying it was the specific way they did it, too many details that were unnecessary. We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Must've been a bad bitter breakup then. Otherwise, I doubt they'd twit it.

Kitty Sinatra

Calleja said:
We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Is any of their twitter necessary? :pthhp:

Okay, that's out of my system: That doesn't seem like much info, especially compared to what I'm guessing they've talked about their relationship when times were good. I'm assuming they've twittered plenty of other info about their relationship. Everybody knew about their relationship after all, so they've had to have said plenty. I just don't see a little info about the breakup is out of place.

_____

Not that I would twitter like that (shit, you guys know far less about me than you do about a lot of the regulars here) but for those who would twitter, this seems like pretty normal stuff.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think we're forgetting the important thing here:

Starslip hasn't been updated in a couple of days now...

Troll

Troll

makare1 said:
A Troll said:
[quote="Singularity.EXE":3jswvjd6]I find it funny how judgmental we are on social apps. You all sound like my grandfather when I try to explain the concept of a forum to him. On behalf of Erica and Kris, I hereby apologize for their use of our generations social phenomenon.

Also, it seems to me this would be like changing your answering machine to include a message about how painful the breakup was. Would you still be so quick to defend that? I doubt it.
Do you use your answering machine to post stuff like "today I am not wearing socks" or "I really like Jello" like people do with Twitter? Probably not. Answering machine is not the same as Twitter it doesnt serve nearly the same function.[/quote:3jswvjd6]

Well, you're focusing on an obvious point and ignoring the reason I made the comparison. Your answering machine, like a twitter account, is completely open to anyone in the public with your contact info. So, why would you put something personal like that on such a public outlet? It's still tacky, stupid, and grossly immature.

makare

A Troll said:
Well, you're focusing on an obvious point and ignoring the reason I made the comparison. Your answering machine, like a twitter account, is completely open to anyone in the public with your contact info. So, why would you put something personal like that on such a public outlet? It's still tacky, stupid, and grossly immature.
but the twitter is for sharing things in your life.

Troll

Troll

makare1 said:
A Troll said:
Okay, maybe I'm just a cranky old man that hates this entire generation of attention-whore enabling technology that I find both unnecessary and pathetic. Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.

makare

A Troll said:
makare1 said:
[quote="A Troll":2utfp2q1]
Okay, maybe I'm just a cranky old man that hates this entire generation of attention-whore enabling technology that I find both unnecessary and pathetic. Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.[/quote:2utfp2q1]

Did you just troll me? I get it. The irony of complaining about that kind of technology on that kind of technology. Well done.

Troll

Troll

makare1 said:
Did you just troll me? I get it. The irony of complaining about that kind of technology on that kind of technology. Well done.
No. I'm seriously being cranky (okay, going a little over the top for fun) about this.

There's a world of difference between this forum and twitter/facebook/myspace. You're interacting with me now, but you don't really know a thing about me. You don't know what I look like, where I live... you don't even know my real name. There is nothing about ME that is on display here. Now, take twitter and all the other social networking sites. It's all about people making themselves the center of attention. I HATE that. I'm a private person, and I can't fathom how other people seek to create online altars to themselves. To me, twitter is just the newest and greatest extension of that whole "Look at me! Look at me!" generation.

It's like someone in this thread already said... growing up I learned to keep things private. If I broke up with someone, I don't run around telling as many people as soon as I can. I don't get people who do that.

But I also accept I have a minority opinion on this matter. It seems 90% of people out there love twitter and myspace and the like, so more power to 'em. It doesn't affect me. When I get a chance to comment on those things, though, you bet I'll wear my "Cranky Old Luddite" badge with pride.

makare

A Troll said:
makare1 said:
No. I'm seriously being cranky (okay, going a little over the top for fun) about this.

There's a world of difference between this forum and twitter/facebook/myspace. You're interacting with me now, but you don't really know a thing about me. You don't know what I look like, where I live... you don't even know my real name. There is nothing about ME that is on display here. Now, take twitter and all the other social networking sites. It's all about people making themselves the center of attention. I HATE that. I'm a private person, and I can't fathom how other people seek to create online altars to themselves. To me, twitter is just the newest and greatest extension of that whole "Look at me! Look at me!" generation.

It's like someone in this thread already said... growing up I learned to keep things private. If I broke up with someone, I don't run around telling as many people as soon as I can. I don't get people who do that.

But I also accept I have a minority opinion on this matter. It seems 90% of people out there love twitter and myspace and the like, so more power to 'em. It doesn't affect me. When I get a chance to comment on those things, though, you bet I'll wear my "Cranky Old Luddite" badge with pride.

Have you ever used twitter? It isn't any more personal than this forum. And both places people talk about personal things. Most of the people I follow and follow me on twitter are from the forum here. It is basically just one long post from a forum titled "my life" with people randomly commenting. It is nothing like myspace.

Troll

Troll

makare1 said:
Have you ever used twitter? It isn't any more personal than this forum. And both places people talk about personal things. Most of the people I follow and follow me on twitter are from the forum here. It is basically just one long post from a forum titled "my life" with people randomly commenting. It is nothing like myspace.
No. As you could tell, I don't really like the idea of it. I do have a few friends who use it, and of course I've seen plenty of feeds from places on the web like Kurtz. I'm not a big fan of anything whose sole purpose is to put the details of your life out there for everyone else to see. It's examples like this breakup nonesense that make me hate twitter. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't get all whiny on twitter, but it just seems to me like more people share way too much.

makare

I dont like sharing too much that is why my twitter is set to private and only people I individually choose can see it. It is safer that way.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I know that if my gf and I were to break up it would likely be WWIII. Our fights tend to get a little heated pretty fast. So, if it got bad enough to break up, I'd imagine there would be some fall-out in my life. I'm a pretty private person. So, I'd probably be even more piss-and-vinegar than what I already am. But, I know I wouldn't come on these boards and spill my guts. I also wouldn't lose it at work or some silly shit like that. I try to be a little more professional than that.

Troll

Troll

You kids and your twitterbook and your iSpace and your myPods. In my day we didn't have none of that! And we were grateful!

Now git off mah lawn!

makare

Gasp... Sonny! Oh that is the most depressing pic I have ever seen....

it should be over in the depressing march of time thread!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, Straub just mentioned "something personal going on" in his blog on starslip.com.

A Troll said:
I'm not a big fan of anything whose sole purpose is to put the details of your life out there for everyone else to see.
You're getting the technology mixed up with the people who use it. The technology's sole purpose is to let people post messages of 140 characters in length at a time. How people use it is widely varied. For some, it's a mini-blog; for others, a place to post news stories; for yet others, a sales tool; some people RP as characters from movies and TV shows; people like Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, and Stephen Fry keep in touch with their fans. It's silly to blame Twitter for this; they would have just blogged or MySpaced or Facebooked it or whatever, if it hadn't been Twitter. I'm not arguing that most of these things are used for web-based oversharing, and whether or not you enjoy that (and to what degree) is definitely a matter of taste. But what you're saying sounds like me getting pissed off at a thread you started and blaming phpBB for it.

JCM

Gruebeard said:
Calleja said:
We don't just know they broke up, we know Kris broke up with Erica and that she's really devastated. Is that necessary?
Is any of their twitter necessary? :pthhp:
Is breaking up in front of thousands necessary?
Twitter exemplifies all that is wrong with the information age.
This.

It has nothing to so with technology, but the stupidity of a couple. Heck, take twitter out,and tell us that, lets say, two people breaking up on stage in a crowded pub isnt stupid.
Starslip hasn't been updated in a couple of days now...
Attention whores, and unprofessional comic artist wannabe?

And yeah, I didnt skip work after breaking up with a fiancée from a 4-year relationship, so fuck people wanting to earn a living from something they cant be professional about.

Chazwozel

Let me just put it out there that if I were to be getting divorced, you guys would learn about it in probably a years time after the fact. There are just some things that people post online that aren't required. You have real life family and friends to help you deal with those sorts of issues.

Posting them online is the equivalent of being that one asshole at a party that sulks in the corner hoping for some girl to come along and talk to him about his problems all night long. I fucking hate people that are in search of pity for themselves.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think the only time I posted about getting divorced (which I did, last year) was once in a thread about what books you're reading (and for me, it was "do it yourself divorce in texas" or somesuch), and after the divorce was final, because I was so jazzed about being my own lawyer and getting custody of my son. In other words, just random forum chatter. The "OMG, so emo!" online breakup is so high-school.

My wife and I had called it off 6 months prior to the divorce, and I didn't blast it publically all over the internet. On the other hand, I did blog about it on Myspace, when I first broke up with her. But that blog was set to be viewable only to a small subset of people that I considered close friends.

Chazwozel

Tinwhistler said:
I think the only time I posted about getting divorced (which I did, last year) was once in a thread about what books you're reading (and for me, it was "do it yourself divorce in texas" or somesuch), and after the divorce was final, because I was so jazzed about being my own lawyer and getting custody of my son. In other words, just random forum chatter. The "OMG, so emo!" online breakup is so high-school.

My wife and I had called it off 6 months prior to the divorce, and I didn't blast it publically all over the internet. On the other hand, I did blog about it on Myspace, when I first broke up with her. But that blog was set to be viewable only to a small subset of people that I considered close friends.
Yup. You didn't make a post about getting divorced, the topic just came along in conversation. That's not whoring your life story, it's how none attention whore people learn things about each other. If someone were to inquire more then you'd tell them what you felt comfortable with.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I am in agreement with Chaz, Tinwhistler, JCM and A Troll on this. Using twitter to be an attention whore is just bloody stupid. Guess I'm a cranky old man now.

Get off my lawn you punks!

ZenMonkey (and probably Mr. ZenMonkey) is the only one who knows the personal hell I'm going through right now. And until it gets resolved none of you dorks will.

Gusto

Gusto

Edrondol said:
ZenMonkey (and probably Mr. ZenMonkey) is the only one who knows the personal hell I'm going through right now. And until it gets resolved none of you dorks will.

Well now you're just teasing us.

Iaculus

Edrondol said:

Well, folks, looks like it's time to break out the steak knives.

A pity - I was starting to like Ed.

Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

With a pinch of salt and some mustard?

Iaculus

Edrondol said:
Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

... I suppose I can start to like him again, yes. :twisted:

Wasabi Poptart

Azurephoenix said:
I am in agreement with Chaz, Tinwhistler, JCM and A Troll on this. Using twitter to be an attention whore is just bloody stupid. Guess I'm a cranky old man now.

Add me to the mix! While I do use Twitter, I mostly have people on there that I consider my friends including people from this forum. Straub I'm sure has friends on there, but he's also got many fans that follow him. The public break up and the "OMG so emo" crap is what makes it a cry for attention instead of just talking about what's happening in his life. There is a huge difference between talking with friends and telling your sob story to every random stranger that walks by.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Azurephoenix said:
I am in agreement with Chaz, Tinwhistler, JCM and A Troll on this.
*ahem*

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Shegokigo said:
Azurephoenix said:

*ahem*
Sorry Shegokigo... didn't mean to miss you in that list :)

Singularity.EXE

I just want it known, by all of your logics, we are all attention whores ourselves, yeah? The people following Straub and and Erica on Twitter are no different then the people on this forum, excepting that fact that there are more of them.

They're not broadcasting to "random strangers" about their break-up, they're informing everyone who opted into following them about it. And of course its gonna sound stupid and immature to outsiders, because this is not how *they* think.

Let's look at Mr. Chaz here. Would anyone outside our little corner of the internet generally care that he decided to taste some E.Coli? No? Then damn, label him an attention whore. JCM's sex-capades (yes, I did use that word, so there) in Brazil? Attention whore! Me whining in IRC about my own relationship status? Attention Whore!

The whole goddamn point of communication, be it face to face, over the phone, on the internet, is to get someone's attention. Anyone outside of that person's audience will obviously view it differently then someone inside it, you all might not give two shits about Straub and Erica, but there are people in their Twitter audience that do.

Worst part of the information age; what, the chance to communicate with people that you've not actually met face to face? Heresy! Each generation has its mode of communication that is alien to the one prior to it. So can we please forgo the knee-jerk reaction to trample out any change from one generation to the next?

Jake

Jake

Sure, breakups suck, but putting Starslip on hold is weak, weak sauce. Doesn't Kurtz miss days when he has the sniffles? These guys are showing themselves to be nothing more than hobbyists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't pretend to be professional if you aren't going to follow through.

Singularity.EXE said:
we are all attention whores ourselves
I'm sure as hell not getting paid for this, so I'm more of an attention slut.

HowDroll

HowDroll

There's a difference between "by the way, we broke up" and "I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning BAWWWWWWW."

That is all.

Lally

I can see both sides of the argument here (non-attention whore vs. attention whore), but I am leaning more toward Singularity's point, with some exceptions. I agree that they are using twitter for its basic premise, which is to microblog. I'd say it's more attention-whoreish to expect people to be only interested in the minutiae of your life and make no comment about major life events. If I don't care that you broke up with your girlfriend, why would I care that you think that red shirt you bought today is really awesome? That said, I think it is both understandable and silly to post something like "I hate myself and I want to die" on your twitter. I made a couple similar posts on my livejournal a few years ago when I went through a very nasty dumping, and while I don't delete past posts so I have a complete record of my thoughts for myself, it was not one of my finer moments and it has gone into "private" status. Of course, I was 19 at the time, so I give myself allowance for that, and I don't know how old Erica & Kris are (but from what I understand, they are older).

ETA: And I definitely agree with Jake that it is totally lame to put Starslip on hold because of it. I had to go to work after my breakup, and the rest of us do too.

Chazwozel

Singularity.EXE said:
I just want it known, by all of your logics, we are all attention whores ourselves, yeah? The people following Straub and and Erica on Twitter are no different then the people on this forum, excepting that fact that there are more of them.

They're not broadcasting to "random strangers" about their break-up, they're informing everyone who opted into following them about it. And of course its gonna sound stupid and immature to outsiders, because this is not how *they* think.

Let's look at Mr. Chaz here. Would anyone outside our little corner of the internet generally care that he decided to taste some E.Coli? No? Then damn, label him an attention whore. JCM's sex-capades (yes, I did use that word, so there) in Brazil? Attention whore! Me whining in IRC about my own relationship status? Attention Whore!
First, it's impossible for Straub or Erica to know all of the thousands following their twitter. They are strangers.

Secondly, I posted that because I knew some people would get a kick out of me puking, not because I wanted you to feel sorry for me. Do you know anything about my personal life other than what I do and that I'm married? Do you even know my real name?

JCM never openly made a "People I've fucked thread", has he? Has he ever come here with a sob story post about how he broke up with his girlfriend? No, it naturally came up in conversation.

Let's not go comparing a thousand twitter followers to the 30 or 40 people in this forum that have talked to each other for damn near two years or more either bud. Some personal information is going to slip out over that long a time.

Jake said:
Sure, breakups suck, but putting Starslip on hold is weak, weak sauce. Doesn't Kurtz miss days when he has the sniffles? These guys are showing themselves to be nothing more than hobbyists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't pretend to be professional if you aren't going to follow through.

Singularity.EXE said:
we are all attention whores ourselves
I'm sure as hell not getting paid for this, so I'm more of an attention slut.
That's the rule of the webcomic artist, as JCM's comic pointed out. I don't think Kurtz or Straub would cut it if their work was in the newspaper. OH NOES!?!?!??! DEADLINES!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Math242

Math242

attention whorism at its finest

JCM

Singularity.EXE said:
long fanboy whine from some kid who cant get it that his idol is an attention whore, and an unprofessional comic artist who would never survive if he had a job doing real comics
Jesus

a)Look at any newspaper comic strip, you know, the ones done by responsible professionals who make a living out of it? You will see they send a month's worth in advance, and never miss a single strip due to Twitter fights/beer drinking/dead dog. Its called the real world, when you grow up and get a job you will understand before whining our criticism of Starslip's lack of updates.

b)Look at my twitter, or threads. Do you see me spamming a few thousand people every fight I have with my gf, or every girl I screw? Nope? Its called personal life, nobody gives a shit, so feel free to talk about it in a conversation if it comes up, but dont attention whore on Twitter, when you grow up and have a proper relationship, you will understand why we grown ups are finding the whole break up on Twitter juvenile.

May I suggest thinking your comparisons first, especially in a forum where we know most people worth knowing, and some of us have been here for 8 years now?

There's a difference between "by the way, we broke up" and "I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning BAWWWWWWW."

That is all.
The problem is that Straub (and many web celebrities) forget that they will have to grow up one day, instead of handling his job and relationship like a teenager.

Math242

Math242

oh shit, JCM just entered war mode.

makare

Edrondol said:
Iaculus said:
Edrondol said:

heh, for some reason that put the song from Rocky Horror in my head

Don't get hot and fluuuustered... use a bit of mustard.....

Now I am going to have that in my head all day, not that that is a bad thing.

(was that too personal? Now I am going to be paranoid that I am being judged for putting too personal of content on the forum, now you all know my love of Rocky Horror :paranoid: )

Iaculus

Math242 said:
Open the shelters and sound the alerts, people. Women and SuperKing first. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.

Chazwozel

Math242 said:

Not only that but he's got me to back him up. Oh shi... :Leyla:

JCM

Math242 said:
Too easy, war mode would require me posting shitload of relationship counselors showing why a relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter) is dumb, or how real professional artists have worked through broken limbs, loss of loved ones and all.

Any adult here can agree breaking up a relationship in front of thousands, or missing a few days of work over a breakup is juvenile. The end.

Math242

Math242

agreed with the bold part

Chazwozel

JCM said:
Math242 said:
Too easy, war mode would require me posting shitload of relationship counselors showing why a relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter) is dumb, or how real professional artists have worked through broken limbs, loss of loved ones and all.

Any adult here can agree breaking up a relationship in front of thousands, or missing a few days of work over a breakup is juvenile. The end.
Now if your limb was eaten by a shark, I'd say you should take off a few days from work...

makare

*writes down the asshole's guide to proper behavior*

thanks guys your opinions really matter so much!

HowDroll

HowDroll

Chazwozel said:
JCM said:
Math242 said:

Now if your limb was eaten by a shark, I'd say you should take off a few days from work...

Don't be a pussy. Rub some dirt in it and get back to the drawing board.

Chazwozel

makare1 said:

Proper guy code. If you dump your girlfriend and then sulk about it, you're going to incur the full wrath of other males making fun of you for being a sissy girl.

makare

Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:

Proper guy code. If you dump your girlfriend and then sulk about it, you're going to incur the full wrath of other males making fun of you for being a sissy girl.

I refuse to pull the FTFY bull shit but that would be The Asshole Code... not the guy code.

Chazwozel

HowDroll said:
Chazwozel said:
JCM said:
Math242 said:

Hey yeah! Straub you fucking pansie. Slap a tourniquet on that shit and get back to work!

Lally

JCM said:
relationship break up in a public place (crowded pub stage, middle of classroom, Twitter)
I'm saying this has any bearing on your point necessarily, but I'd like to point out the difference is that a crowded stage and a middle of a classroom are where I'm assuming the breakup is happening, hence the breaking up in a public place. Their break up didn't happen in public, it was announced in public. He didn't twitter "@erica by the way I don't love you, peace" but "I broke up with Erica."

EDIT: NOT SAYING HE CHEATED JUST AN EXAMPLE. I changed it just in case.

Chazwozel

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:

I refuse to pull the FTFY bull shit but that would be The Asshole Code... not the guy code.
Sorry, I forgot you're into men without balls.

makare

Chazwozel said:

I like men who are not assholes. You wouldn't understand that with your gender tunnel vision and surrounding yourself constantly with fellow assholes. There is a whole world of real men out there who do not feel the need to behave.... like assholes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's one thing to spend a little time talking to close friends about how it sucks. It's another thing to proclaim it from the mountaintops with thousands listening over the course of a few days. Ending a long-term relationship hurts, quite a lot. Personally, though, I think writing it all over the walls is a bit excessive.

Chazwozel

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:

I like men who are not assholes. You wouldn't understand that with your gender tunnel vision and surrounding yourself constantly with fellow assholes. There is a whole world of real men out there who do not feel the need to behave.... like assholes.
Yup, like this guy:

Math242

Math242

then Erica proceeded to go all out drama queen which is quite sad.

makare

Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:

Yup, like this guy:

Yeah like that guy. Face it chaz, you are incapable of understanding how any other human being with a penis does not have to be a douche like you in order to function. That's just how it is, gender tunnel vision.

Math242

Math242

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:

Did you not get the memo? All men are assholes.

Chazwozel

makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:

Yup, like this guy:

Yeah like that guy. Face it chaz, you are incapable of understanding how any other human being with a penis does not have to be a douche like you in order to function. That's just how it is, gender tunnel vision.
HE'S EVEN SITTING LIKE A GIRL TAKING A PEE!!! COME ON!!!!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I guess I'm asshole too... hmmm...

Gusto

Gusto

Azurephoenix said:
Yeah, me too.... guess this changes everything.

*pushes over your juice*

Gusto said:
Azurephoenix said:

*pushes over your juice*
Hey! Damn it, Gusto! I was drinking that!

Gusto

Gusto

Edrondol said:
Gusto said:
Azurephoenix said:

*pushes over your juice*
*shrug*

Hey man, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Them's the rules, apparently.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Edrondol said:
Gusto said:
Azurephoenix said:

*pushes over your juice*
Honestly Ed... that was MY juice in the first place... you're such an asshole!

;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Gusto said:
Edrondol said:
Gusto said:
Azurephoenix said:

*pushes over your juice*
*shrug*

Hey man, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Them's the rules, apparently.
*pushes over your rules*

JCM

Chazwozel said:
makare1 said:
Chazwozel said:
Yup, like this guy:

HE'S EVEN SITTING LIKE A GIRL TAKING A PEE!!! COME ON!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chazwozel said:
JCM said:
Math242 said:

True.

And thats what we call medical leave. But right now, the ones who have a job, not the teenies living off daddy, try calling your boss/customers and say you have personal issues and cant make that delivery/come to work. (

Chances are you'll be fired, yelled yet or will loose to a competitor.

Thats why most webcomics artists (taking away some, like Least I could do, Penny Arcade and Shlock Mercenary, heck, even Tim Buckley manages to update on time) probably will never reach the foot of a real comic professional.

Gusto

Gusto

:Leyla:

My newly acquired paradigms! They've been TIPPED!

Math242

Math242

pushes over your rules*[/quote said:
stop being an asshole

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

You guys are so mean... I'm posting this on twitter!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Math242 said:
CynicismKills said:
*pushes over your rules*

stop being an asshole
I CAN'T, GOD HELP ME I CAN'T

*pees on the rules*

Chazwozel

Math242 said:
pushes over your rules*[/quote said:
stop being an asshole

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLtNN-Tiok:vy5p1dp3][/youtube:vy5p1dp3]

Iaculus

Chazwozel said:
HowDroll said:
Chazwozel said:
JCM said:

Hey yeah! Straub you fucking pansie. Slap a tourniquet on that shit and get back to work!
Hah - silence, girly-men. You cauterise der wound mit boiling pitch und you LIKE it, ja? JA?

Chazwozel

You know what Im gonna do
Im gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps
And all leather cow interior
And make brown baby seal eyes for head lights (yeah)
And Im gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour
Gettin' 1 mile per gallon,
Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonalds
In the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers
And when Im done sucking down those greeseball burgers
Im gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag
And then Im gonna toss the styrofoam containers right out the side
And there aint a goddamn thing anybody can do about it
You know why, because weve got the bombs, thats why
2 words, nuclear fucking weapons, OK?
Russia, Germany, Romania, they can have all the democracy they want
They can have a big democracy cakewalk
Right through the middle of Tiananmen Square
and it wont make a lick of difference
Because weve got the bombs, OK?
John Wayne's not dead, hes frozen, and as soon as we find a cure for cancer
Were gonna thaw out the duke and hes gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why,
Have you ever taken a cold shower, well multiply that by 15 million times
Thats how pissed off the dukes gonna be!
I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes,
and Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey,
and drive down to Texas and say.....

(Hey! You know, you really are an asshole!)
Why don't you just shut up and sing the song, pal?
Im an asshole (hes an asshole, what an asshole)
Im an asshole (hes the worlds biggest asshole)

I could call in to work and say it was because of a personal reason. As long as I have the vacation time it doesn't matter.

Now, if I didn't have any time left it might be an issue, but until then I'd be fine.

On topic, it's not something I'd do, but Twitter is a quick, real time blog and this is the sort of things people blog about.

Hence the Dave's Weekend threads I've made.

Jake

Jake

What's all this about guy juice in assholes now?

Gusto

Gusto

Jake said:
*pushes you over*

Cajungal

Cajungal

Jake said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Denbrought

Denbrought

I dunno what's going on here but I like it, carry on.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto said:
Jake said:
*pushes you over*
*Kevin Kline from A Fish Called Wanda-esque* ASSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!

SeraRelm

A couple things.

1: Don't air your relationship problems in public. I happen to agree with JCM on that. I don't even care to see people making out in public. Call me prudish.

2: I'm wondering if it was seen as attention whoring when I posted the thread concerning my cat several days ago. No, I didn't miss work or anything over it.

3: Makare, I can think of a few ways to avoid asshole-men. ;)

4: Dave, I know what you're going through... *buys him a drink* :falldown:

Gusto

Gusto

SeraRelm said:
Something, but what I noticed was...
WHAT HAPPENED TO DR. GIRLFRIEND :Leyla: :Leyla: :Leyla:

Jake

Jake

SeraRelm said:
I don't even care to see people making out in public
*obligatory comment regarding you and your fiancee making out in public*

ElJuski

ElJuski

Gusto said:
SeraRelm said:
SHES GONE :oops: :waah:

SeraRelm

I'm not feeling particularly villainous for the time being. :|

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

HowDroll said:
Seriously. I was on stage playing irish music 45 minutes after getting my vasectomy. Freaking wussies..

;)

Jake

Jake

Tinwhistler said:
HowDroll said:
Seriously. I was on stage playing irish music 45 minutes after getting my vasectomy. Freaking wussies..

;)
Worst... set break... ever.

Cajungal

Cajungal

SeraRelm said:
2: I'm wondering if it was seen as attention whoring when I posted the thread concerning my cat several days ago. No, I didn't miss work or anything over it.
I didn't think of it like that. For some reason, only relationship problems/breakup stuff makes me uncomfortable... and probably some other things I'm not going to go into. And I hope you're doing alright, by the way.

makare

ElJuski said:
Gusto said:
SeraRelm said:
SHES GONE :oops: :waah:
Ok before I realized what you were talking about I got really worried that they had actually gotten rid of Dr Girlfriend.. in which case I would be getting together all the Dr. G fans and rioting.

K

Kstraub

Thanks for dissecting this like it was a business move or some cry for help.

Do you want to know why I twittered it? Because I wanted to make it clear that it was me who broke up with Erica. I love Erica, but we are in very different places in our lives. I just didn't want everyone to think it was Erica that broke my heart when I broke hers. I know how word travels on the internet, and Erica was very visible in what I did and a big part of why Starslip is the way it is now. I'm heartbroken that it wasn't working between us, but I didn't want my readers to find out and take revenge for me. Erica deserves great kindness and support.

I use Twitter to talk to my readers and my friends. I like to think that that Venn diagram has a lot of overlap. I had dinner with my fans in Baltimore, and I hope to have dinner with more of them in Virginia in two weeks, in New England in a month, and in Seattle shortly after that. The line is blurring. I had dinner with my friends.

I couldn't have dinner with most of the people in this forum, a place that unfortunately seems to have found its identity in "we desperately wish this was 4chan." Someone can make an image macro out of that.

:roll: :popcorn: :lol: :zoid: :Leyla: :waah: :toocool: :ninja: :finger: :eek:

Iaculus

In before Chaz or someone escalates this further. Ed, I hope you're keeping an eye on this.

Wasabi Poptart

SeraRelm said:
I didn't see that as attention whoring. People get attached to their pets and when a pet dies it can be like a member of the family has died. You were sad and quite a few of us could understand it since we've also had similar experiences with pets.
If someone came here and said they broke up with a long-time girlfriend/boyfriend, I wouldn't immediately see that as attention whoring either. But once they start adding the dramatic "I don't want to fall in love again. I don't want to wake up," then I start to think it's all being done for the sake of wanting a reaction and not empathy or understanding. People like that need to grow up.

Mr_Chaz

Singularity.EXE said:

The whole goddamn point of communication, be it face to face, over the phone, on the internet, is to get someone's attention. Anyone outside of that person's audience will obviously view it differently then someone inside it, you all might not give two shits about Straub and Erica, but there are people in their Twitter audience that do.

Worst part of the information age; what, the chance to communicate with people that you've not actually met face to face? Heresy! Each generation has its mode of communication that is alien to the one prior to it. So can we please forgo the knee-jerk reaction to trample out any change from one generation to the next?
Aah the first time the name's got confused. Dangit.

:shock:

Well, I think I'd have had the same reaction. I don't think we're 4chan, but his only dealings with us have been the Great Migration and now this. So I can see how some of the (shall I say it) less than tactful posts have colored his views.

Kris, I know breakups are a bitch, but you did have to kind of expect wild speculation when you posted this to a bunch of people. I dig your reasons, but there was very little information given and then Starslip apparently went on a bit of a hiatus. It's only natural for people to ask questions. Sorry for those who felt the need to cackle with glee over the pain of others. It happens. Some of them *cough**cough* are known for their disdain of others and lack in that tact thing I spoke of earlier.

Be strong with those who support and were truly concerned (Calleja, for example) and ignore the haters.

Chazwozel

Iaculus said:
In before Chaz or someone escalates this further. Ed, I hope you're keeping an eye on this.

Go have an Eskimo pie or something, Sparky.

And on that note...we're ending it before it degenerates further.