Starting point for Dr who

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Silvanesti

I set my DVR to record all Dr who that has been playing recently. The couple episodes I've seen have been really frekking great. Problem is, there are a bunch of shit I just dont understand (refrences to past episodes, people, stuff like that)

Is there a recomended starting point for dr who? I feel like im starting midstory (which I am) and end up getting frustrated with parts of the story.

S

Silvanesti

IS the first season of the relaunch labeled as the first season? We have some at the library here but the first box set they have is called season four or something.

It should be yes. Specifically it will say Series 1.

The originals dvd releases are very sporadic in what they cover, and much of its first season has been lost and destroyed.

S

Silvanesti

It should be yes. Specifically it will say Series 1.

The originals dvd releases are very sporadic in what they cover, and much of its first season has been lost and destroyed.
cool. thanks.

And yeah, I don't want to watch the original stuff. I've seen a few and man... those sucked big time.

There will be a couple references to some of the past Doctor's adventures (Sarah Jane, Davidson Doc popping in for a special, The Master) but nothing that a quick read through a wiki won't clear up.

C

Chibibar

I do love the original series (before doctor #9) but if you start at the beginning of the doctor's regeneration (I think in this case #9) you should be ok.

I wish the older stuff was preserve and made into DVD, but back then, people actually reuse film :(

S

Silvanesti

There will be a couple references to some of the past Doctor's adventures (Sarah Jane, Davidson Doc popping in for a special, The Master) but nothing that a quick read through a wiki won't clear up.
Yup, that was it. I watched one where she was remeeting him, and was totally confused. I'll check out the wiki and start at season 1

Yup, that was it. I watched one where she was remeeting him, and was totally confused. I'll check out the wiki and start at season 1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she's from one of the ooooold series, I didn't know who she was until my roomie's gf explained it (she'd read up on it already).

I wish the older stuff was preserve and made into DVD, but back then, people actually reuse film :(
they've put most of the old stuff on dvd, if not already finished releasing it all. its just that a bunch of the old *old* stuff, like some of the first and doctor serials are lost.
"There are 27 incomplete Doctor Who serials, with 108 of 253 episodes from the first six years of the programme missing", which isn't that much considering.

J

JCM

they've put most of the old stuff on dvd, if not already finished releasing it all. its just that a bunch of the old *old* stuff, like some of the first and doctor serials are lost.
"There are 27 incomplete Doctor Who serials, with 108 of 253 episodes from the first six years of the programme missing", which isn't that much considering.[/QUOTE]They are being redone with animation, and the original audio with old recordings as reference.

So far only "Invasion" has been released, with ep 1-4 being animated, and ep 5-6 being real footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.