Starcraft 2 single player blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greendog

I'm not one to have joygasms at work, but yup...joygasm.... :clap:

I liked this one myself:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT8OLCIhxHo:1d2xo8lh][/youtube:1d2xo8lh]

Frankie said:
Whoa, not really what I pictured Raynor looking like.
Blizzard actually said they never liked his original portrait with the shaved head and the unibrow. Metzen always wanted him to be a "Space Cowboy" so they designed him much more true to that vision this time around. I was skeptical but it has grown on me.

I am just happy they got Robert back for the voice. We almost didn't have him.

For me, it's more the voice for Raynor than how he looks. The only way I would have been peeved by his appearance is if he was dressed in a tutu.

R

Rubicon

Frankie said:
They completely revamped him. I'm guessing since they couldn't get the same voice actor..

He went from a fairly young bald crew cut guy in Vulture gear to this grifter middle aged brunette with a mustache..

Yea appearances change but its so drastic it looks NOTHING like Raynor before, and he was one of the coolest characters in SC1 imho "Raynor here!"

Mav said:
Frankie said:
They completely revamped him. I'm guessing since they couldn't get the same voice actor..

He went from a fairly young bald crew cut guy in Vulture gear to this grifter middle aged brunette with a mustache..

Yea appearances change but its so drastic it looks NOTHING like Raynor before, and he was one of the coolest characters in SC1 imho "Raynor here!"
It's the same voice actor.

I actually like the new look a lot better. The old look always seemed a little weird to me and it frustrated me since he was the main character-ish.

R

Rubicon

Bowielee said:
Mav said:
Frankie said:

It's the same voice actor.
You sure? It dont sound like him but I may be wrong.

Mav said:
You sure? It dont sound like him but I may be wrong.
We learned around a month ago, through Glynnis Talken, that Blizzard rehired Robert Clothworthy to once again be the voice of Jim Raynor. Glynnis, as you probably know as the voice of Sarah Kerrigan, was hired to reprise her role as well, but at the last minute Blizzard flipped on that choice, deciding to instead drop her for another voice actress, a choice I am still sore with them. One step forward, one step back I guess...

Either way, the videos posted above are the first time we hear Robert return as the voice of Raynor. Listen to SC1 cutscenes and the new videos, and you will hear they are identical.

P.S. Part of me is going to miss the other voice actor they got for Raynor, while I didn't care for him at first, his voice mixed with the new look really did grow on me. I guess I will still have him in videos like this one.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMPo62PY_M:6u0cz5qm][/youtube:6u0cz5qm]

G

Greendog

While I'm glad the original voice actor is back in for Raynor, part of me always hoped they'd bring in Nathan Fillion.

.....what?! :paranoid:

I might be in the vast, vast minority here, but I really do not like the marine guy, Finlay or Tarkus or whatever.

Something about him bugs me and has bugged me since the, "It's about time!" trailer they showed years ago.

Actually that might not be him because they originally where going to replace him, but changed their minds recently... and replaced Kerrigan instead (and the new voice is way to different imo).

Of course it's been 11 years, voices change.

@Frankie

Always seems to me as he isn't supposed to be likeable... he's the bad influence for Raynor, and Horner is the good one...

@Li3n said:
Actually that might not be him because they originally where going to replace him, but changed their minds recently... and replaced Kerrigan instead (and the new voice is way to different imo). Of course it's been 11 years, voices change.
I think one of the issues is that, in StarCraft 1, he was covered with a lot of static most of the time and the sound quality itself was very low. Though looking back, his voice has changed a little bit over the years. The last game I remember hearing him a lot in was Lair, in which he played one of the villains. The voice in the new videos is definitely his though, he has a pretty distinct voice.

Here is a fan made dub using SC1 dialogue over the new Raynor in the bar video, just to get a better idea of how it voice used to sound.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLjfh8pVH0:3l8jc8y9][/youtube:3l8jc8y9]

Always seems to me as he isn't supposed to be likeable... he's the bad influence for Raynor, and Horner is the good one...
Yes, he is supposed to be the one out more for the money then the glory. Blizzard said there was a reason he never takes off his suit, hinting that there is more behind him then meets the eye.

Fun fact about Matt Horner, he is rumored to be the nameless "Magistrate" that we play in the first game due to his leadership skill, confederate officer attire, and the fact he is second in command only to Raynor. It makes a lot of sense, and fits with Blizzard's stance on giving faces to the old faceless leaders we used to play. Another example is that Blizzard confirmed Executor Selendis is the Executor we play in Brood War.

He looks closser in-game... see the portrait video i posted.

And looking at teh old voice from SC1 i think that it was the same, but just a bit more nasal, and you can't blame him for not getting it right right away... i just hope they have him practice it...

Some new videos, in italian... so far they don't say anything we don't know (half way throught the 1st one), but it shows someone playing:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-lTAtL-LA:33va77od][/youtube:33va77od]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fr3O3NFLxI:33va77od][/youtube:33va77od]

Awesome as this looks, I feel like I'm too old to get good at a new RTS. I can rock with Starcraft and I'm decent to good with Warcraft III. Any RTS I started after I grew out of my teenage years, I can't seem to get the hang of. I know how to play Dawn of War, for example, and I find it fun, but I can't get combos and shit together, working out the right builds, none of it. All that felt intuitive in my earlier RTS games, as I'd lose a lot and learn a lot, but I feel I just don't have the stamina to learn them anymore.

Figured I would post my own little opinion on the single player game since I got to try it out at BlizzCon.

All I have to say is, awesome! People complain about how Blizzard is splitting it up into three games, but even just having two levels open to me showed me why, the game is going to be massive in design and story. They improved the graphics of the in-game cut scenes since I saw them last, with better mapping and shading, I swear I felt like I was watching CGI sometimes.

After a long and detailed cutscene, I was unleashed on the bridge of the Hyperion. I was able to talk with people, walk around the various areas to buy upgrades or mercs. The upgrades add a lot to the gameplay based on how you configure them. A good example was during the "rescue" mission, I decided to invest in the "strike turret" upgrade before heading over. It basically makes it so your bunker gets an automatic gun right on top of it, adding tons more firepower. I was able to create some choke points with those babies filled with marines, and slaughtered the zerg that came after me.

Every area of the Hyperion has a lot of character, from the armory with the head engineer and the lingering lackies, to the cantina in which you speak with the merc master filled with other troops and workers off-duty. It was here I noticed my first bug when the bartender lost his animations, and just stood motionless with his arms out. Still, the place looked great.

All the heads, even in the portraits, are perfectly lipsynced.

Really with the amount of choices and depth you have to pick your mission path, bonus missions, and well-done in game cutscenes, all I can say is I am more excited then I even was before going to BlizzCon.

It's a 3rd person action game too: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNPrnY4K_4"]YouTube - BlizzCon 2009 - StarCraft II Custom Map Preview[/ame]

Yeah, it's like the art and rendering technology has gotten better, and time has passed in the game universe. Who knew hair could grow in space.

Actually that concept art is too close to the actor from the movie they got the name Jim Raynor from... but from the cutscenes and game portraits he actually does look like he coudl be SC1 Raynor with more hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.