Star Trek online Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I'm guessing this is using the City of Heroes engine, because everything looks suspiciously CoH-like.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Champions Online most likely as anyone who's really bought into that one gets into the Star Trek beta. This sounds kind of interesting as the away missions have you controlling your whole team. Being able to create your own species is kinda neat, too.

Not that I have any interest in the game, as I don't really like Star Trek ship combat, and controlling a whole team isn't actually my cup of tea.

It seems so fucked up to me. Everyone being the captain of their own ships. An "away mission" being several captains teaming up on the surface of a planet.

I dunno, the ship combat better be awesome.

P

Pojodan

The Account service is temporarily down, please try again at a later time.
:waah:

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Whoo! Persistence paid off.. I got it submitted.

Anyone know when the Beta starts? I need to figure out if I should have my key already.
<-- One of those guys who "really bought into Champions"

I'm in, as a pre order / 6 months sub CO member.

All I can say form experience of CO is to stay away from pre ordering or buying any limited time subscriptions.

Check out the Beta. Then wait for a couple months after release before laying down any money.

They bait-and-switched us who were playing Champions Online.

They gave us a great fun beta, then switched the game on release day to a completely different feeling game. A game where superman gets beat up by three thugs with bats. No kid: you can play a super strength / super constitution might character with invulnerability and get your face smashed in by normal guys of the henchman variety.

Go take a good look at their forums: its a bombshell even now. Though most of us said our piece and packed up and left, leaving the sycophants behind.

That company is not to be trusted. To be honest, I smell Roper's hand. It won't be long before your Bat'leth wielding Klingon warrior is getting beat up by a couple redshirts kids with their fists.

Can't you tell i'm bitter over CO? heh.

I'm in, as a pre order / 6 months sub CO member.

All I can say form experience of CO is to stay away from pre ordering or buying any limited time subscriptions.

Check out the Beta. Then wait for a couple months after release before laying down any money.

They bait-and-switched us who were playing Champions Online.

They gave us a great fun beta, then switched the game on release day to a completely different feeling game. A game where superman gets beat up by three thugs with bats. No kid: you can play a super strength / super constitution might character with invulnerability and get your face smashed in by normal guys of the henchman variety.

Go take a good look at their forums: its a bombshell even now. Though most of us said our piece and packed up and left, leaving the sycophants behind.

That company is not to be trusted. To be honest, I smell Roper's hand. It won't be long before your Bat'leth wielding Klingon warrior is getting beat up by a couple redshirts kids with their fists.

Can't you tell i'm bitter over CO? heh.
Apparently.

I guess I never got into Beta long enough to noticed any extreme differences, but it seems the same to me. If they made some differences to power bonuses I don't really think that makes it "a completely different feeling game". I heard people were complaining that the bosses were too easy. So they made them a little bit harder. The game is supposed to be challenging. Maybe it's true that gamers these days have lost their touch.

No matter how you look at it, if you try to make Superman you are going to be disappointed. Because there will always be some Jubilee clone that will probably be able to school you in pvp.

Bosses were a bit too easy.

That being said, I think Jack "Statesmen" Emmert has more to do with this than anyone. He was always fucking things up in CoH in the name of his "vision" until NCSoft put their foot down and Cryptic split down the middle into two companies.

Yeah, you're probably right about Jack there. I recall his 'vision' crusade from CoH.

And the thing is, I like a challenge too.

However, that challenge has to to be thematic.

I should not find a challenge in a couple henchman thugs with bats on a street corner.

I should find a challenge however, storming a Viper base.

You can't leave the challenge setting on risk 100% of the time in a superhero game. There has to be a balancing line.

Yeah, you're probably right about Jack there. I recall his 'vision' crusade from CoH.

And the thing is, I like a challenge too.

However, that challenge has to to be thematic.

I should not find a challenge in a couple henchman thugs with bats on a street corner.

I should find a challenge however, storming a Viper base.

You can't leave the challenge setting on risk 100% of the time in a superhero game. There has to be a balancing line.
The problem with having a balancing line in the way you describe is not everyone wants to play Superman. Some people want to play Batman, or the Punisher, or "Kick-Ass" even. For them, a fight with street thugs SHOULD be a challenge. I think the best way they have to simulate this at all is levels. If you are a level 40 character, you can go whomp on some level 10 guys if you want and essentially get the same effect that Superman would on a bunch of thugs. Problem is you don't start at 40, you have to work your way up, which isn't something the real Superman had to do. Plus there is also the fact that a level 40 munitions character could still kill a level 40 Superman character. How does that work? Cause it's a game that does it's best to simulate the comic hero genre by focusing on the culture as a whole and not just a single type of super hero.

Well, with the way superstats and powers work in CO is that you could build a character more frail than a superman as it was. It really did work for any concept.

If you didnt pick up super constitution and invulnerability/a super defense, those street thugs could still wail on you with bats anyway, so there was your kick-ass right there.

They had a really good and thematic system in place. And they changed it to be another mediocre MMO.

ANyway, sorry to derail, this doesnt belong in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.