Spielberg may make 'Halo' movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven Spielberg is in talks to adapt ‘Halo’ for the big screen.

The Oscar-winning director is currently in negotiations to produce and develop the popular sci-fi video game franchise into three high-action movies.

IESB.net writer Robert Sanchez has claimed: “IESB has learned exclusively (believe me this is solid and I've confirmed it three times over with studio executives and our close ties to CAA) that one of the biggest producers in Hollywood history is currently in active negotiations to develop the feature film adaptation.

“Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie's take on the game in his script entitled ‘Halo the Fall of Reach’.”

This news follows the break-down of previous attempts in 2006 by Universal and Fox to work on the project with producer Peter Jackson and director Neil Blomkamp.

Early last year, ‘G.I. Joe’ scriptwriter Stuart penned a draft script from the Eric Nyland novel.

If it goes ahead, the first movie will be a prequel to the original ‘Halo’ game, which explains the origins of the characters while the second and third will develop the storyline from the best-selling games.
What's with everyone jumping at Halo... i'd take a HL film over it everyday...

J

Joe Johnson

As much as I'd love to see HL done, I think that Halo is a large enough franchise that more "common folk" have actually heard of it. I don't think that's as true of HL.

The other problem with HL is that they'd have to write a VERY good treatment of a script to not make it look like yet another zombie-horror movie.

ElJuski

Staff member
I don't think the "common people" have anything to do with it, script-wise, more than action-figure wise. Halo can sell to tweens much better than Half Life could, and with half as good of a script. Now, you get a good screenwriter in there to write a nice Half Life adaptation, it could probably win favor as well. But I think Master Chief sells better than Head Crabs, unfortunately :(

Eh... master chief had 3 games + spin-offs, so of course he was an advantage sales wise, but over all it ain't that much of a difference...

But i do guess console fanboys are easier to please...

J

Joe Johnson

@Li3n said:
Eh... master chief had 3 games + spin-offs, so of course he was an advantage sales wise, but over all it ain't that much of a difference...

But i do guess console fanboys are easier to please...
3 games, plus novels, plus action figures - that's what I mean by "common people". Halo is a name recognized by more people, hence hollywood is going to pay more attention to it. Yes, you could make a great script for HL, and I'm sure the movie could do great - but if you're pitching an idea to hollywood, you go to the easy money first. And, to ElJuski's point, the demographics for HL are probably an older audience, and it would be a bit harder to merchandise it.

(oh, and I played HL2 on the console)

@Li3n said:
What!? No! Think about what you are saying! :devil:

What I love about Half-Life is the fact that you are Gordon Freeman. He is never given dialogue, never given a personality, he is you and what you make him out to be. It is really cool that everyone could be, in essence a very different Gordon Freeman, and to have that destroyed by some screenwriters who decide to make him some wise cracking action star or cheesy scientist thrown into a battle would kill him for me.

Maybe if they made it around other characters, and all we hear about is the "Free Man". Then I can dig it, but Gordon would have to never appear in anything other then shadows.

Having played both the Halo and Half-Life series, I am far more interested in the Halo universe than I am the Half-Life universe. I've read the Halo books and the back story of MC and the Spartan program is not all that bad.

I'm not a console fanboy, but I do enjoy the overall story of Halo much more than I do half life. HL strikes me as something that would have to be filmed in the David Fincher Fight Club/Seven style...dark and gritty...more of an action/thriller. Halo strikes me as the summer blockbuster...huge and explosive with an epic storyline (if done right).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed half life and half life 2. It's a great game. Halo just appeals to a much wider demographic, both in gamers and, as was previously pointed out, the general moviegoer.

C

Cuyval Dar

I have never been drawn to a single Valve game, with the exception of CS:S. But can we really count that as a Valve creation?

ScytheRexx said:
@Li3n said:
What!? No! Think about what you are saying! :devil:

What I love about Half-Life is the fact that you are Gordon Freeman. He is never given dialogue, never given a personality, he is you and what you make him out to be. It is really cool that everyone could be, in essence a very different Gordon Freeman, and to have that destroyed by some screenwriters who decide to make him some wise cracking action star or cheesy scientist thrown into a battle would kill him for me.

Maybe if they made it around other characters, and all we hear about is the "Free Man". Then I can dig it, but Gordon would have to never appear in anything other then shadows.
Silent protagonist movie ftw...

Z

zero

Shannow said:
I am going to disagree on War of the Worlds.
And I am going to cut it at "Terminal" (with was so-so along with "Minority Report"). Munich was a waste of time in my opinion.

Catch Me if You Can was nice though... but that was seven years ago.

M

Mr_Chaz

zero said:
Shannow said:
I am going to disagree on War of the Worlds.
And I am going to cut it at "Terminal" (with was so-so along with "Minority Report"). Munich was a waste of time in my opinion.

Catch Me if You Can was nice though... but that was seven years ago.
Munich was a waste of your time? Huh, I loved Munich, up there as one of Spielberg's best!

J

Joe Johnson

I actually really liked Minority Report. Especially if you assume Tom Cruise's character never "woke up" from his dream-cell, and the happy ending of the movie was all in his mind.

D

DougTheHead

Three movies? I love the Halo games, but there's barely enough story there for one movie. And Master Chief is almost as much of a nonentity as Gordon Freeman, but without the strong supporting cast. They'd have to add a whole lot of stuff to make the Halo story into a full movie.

And Spielberg's last good movie was the fourth Indiana Jones movie. His last good movie that almost everyone can agree on was Munich.

J

Joe Johnson

Three video games, 6 books, and 2 graphic novels.

There should be enough there for three movies.
I'm not saying they'll be GOOD movies, but certainly the content is there.

I think Halo is a better choice because you could make an excellent war movie from the events in the universe. It wouldn't even have to be about MC.

Or to put it another way, in Halo there's enough content to spend time crafting a new story from anywhere in it. In HL, they would have to flesh out content themselves, and I'm always doubtful of Hollywood's ability to do that.

North_Ranger

Staff member
At least Peter Jackson's not involved anymore.... right? Right? RIGHT?!

When the rumor was that the now-skinny Kiwi Hobbit was involved, I was more afraid of an apocalypse than because of any of this 2012 bulls*it. Because everything Peter Jackson does = great, while video game movies blow, no exception. Those two immutable laws of nature woulf have clashed so horribly in Halo that the very space-time continuum would buckle and rupture in such epic scale that the entire universe would have collapsed on itself like a house of cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.