So who is the main character of...

Who is the Main Character of Star Wars/LOTR?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

@Li3n said:
Dude, nice straw man... i never said that most screen time = protagonist...
Good for you to notice your own strawman, not always screentime = main character, which seemed to be your main arguement.
@Li3n said:
but that Vader was not developed enough in the OT for it to count as his story... everything that makes him important is in relation to Luke...
:rofl:

Really? Luke was a cardboard cutout only kids liked, Vader´s development and story was only second to Han Solo in terms of "developed". Luke was just the guy who kept the whole story together, and it took the last episode, and later, the Thrawn Trilogy to actually develop him further.
ElJuski said:
What? The original script was about Luke Skykiller and some dopey-ass crystals. The main character is Luke; it's his story, alongside the story of his family, which includes the conflict of son redeeming the father and bringing balance to the force.
Third draft. The name and character of Luke didnt appear in the first two, the first which was about Anakin, the second about a warrior whose father was Anakin, and the third, Luke, with no Anakin.

JCM said:
Good for you to notice your own strawman, not always screentime = main character, which seemed to be your main argument.
That's not even a straw man dude... plus, that doesn't have much to do with your assertion anyhow, because u said that the protagonist could be used to tell someone elses story... thus even if screentime = main character it wouldn't have mattered.

I was simply pointing out that Vader isn't prevalent enough in the story for you to claim that it is his story. It's someone else's story, during which his own story gets resolved...

Really? Luke was a cardboard cutout only kids liked, Vader´s development and story was only second to Han Solo in terms of \"developed\". Luke was just the guy who kept the whole story together, and it took the last episode, and later, the Thrawn Trilogy to actually develop him further.
Dude, how well Luke's transition from farm boy to Jedi badass was handled doesn't really matter. Truth is that Vader had only 2 moments of actual development, one of which (the whole [spoiler:3qxasg7h]"i'm your father"[/spoiler:3qxasg7h] thing) was also development for Luke (no matter what your opinion on his development). And the other was a Redemption Equals Death, which is par for course when the villain is a relative of the hero...

ElJuski said:
What? The original script was about Luke Skykiller and some dopey-ass crystals. The main character is Luke; it's his story, alongside the story of his family, which includes the conflict of son redeeming the father and bringing balance to the force.
Third draft. The name and character of Luke didnt appear in the first two, the first which was about Anakin, the second about a warrior whose father was Anakin, and the third, Luke, with no Anakin.
[/quote]

Sure, because names are what matter, not how the actual story went. Not to mention that Vader was already an antagonist way before the final draft...

Heh, even wookiepedia agrees that the original Annikin was just Luke with a different name: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Annikin_ ... the_scenes

C

Cuyval Dar

North_Ranger said:
What are these prequels you speak of? I have never heard of such things. Surely George Lucas is not so greedy a bastard that he would take a crap on the trilogy for which he shall forever be remembered?
And on a non-George-Lucas-raped-my-childhood note, obviously, it was Luke and Aragorn.

C

Cuyval Dar

@Li3n said:
Oh, and look, one of the drafts was even called Episode I : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adventur ... _Star_Wars (and had Vader, he just wasn't anyone's dad)

-- Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:05 am --

@Cuyval Dar

Dude, the question is obviously between Frodo, the intended protagonist, and Sam, the one that Tolkien identified with most with obvious results.
Nah, Aragorn went thru a journey of transformation changing from a non-descript Ranger of the North to the King of Numenor/Gondor/Arnor.

On the other hand, Frodo experienced the "fall into darkness/corruption and subsequent redemption" scenario.

I must agree that Sam was Tolkien's intended PC, but the lack of real character development prevented that. I fail to see how Sam changed much over the course of the story. He remained the sidekick/servant archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.