Selling DVDs of a seminar is unfair to those who attended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I followed one of Kurtz's twitter links to this story:
Will there be a Success in Comics DVD release?
Apparently there was a seminar held where a number of cartoonists, mostly print, gave talks. Lots of people who couldn't go were hoping for a DVD release, but they won't be getting one because
The primary reasons are; there were a couple speakers that asked us not to film them or at least not make it available if we did – which would leave some big holes. In addition, as it was put several times in the comments and e-mails directly to me, we feel it would be unfair to all of those who attended and paid the $350, paid for airfare, hotel, food, etc., and took vacation time to be there.
I have never heard this logic before. I can understand if there were speakers who didn't want to be on film, and that leaving a DVD too lacking to release, but I can't fathom why they think it would take away from those who attended in person. There are tons of public speakers who put their stuff on DVD and yet still have people lining up to be there in person. Motivational, financial, religious, self-help and other categories of speakers give talks where tickets cost hundreds of dollars, yet still sell DVDs of the exact same information.

Heck, MIT has college lectures, and entire course curriculum, online for free, yet they still manage to get people to pay. Certainly there is an element of getting a degree, but I'll wager people are still paying for non-MIT teachers in the same classes just to get face time.

T

ThatNickGuy

Not to mention wrestling DVD's. I mean, come on, there are some wrestling fans that fly in from all around the world to see the show and then buy the DVD when it comes out.

Yup. Pretty stupid.

Of course big SK is really making an ass out of himself in the comments section.
Sometimes I wonder if he has a "rage off" button.

T

ThatNickGuy

Kurtz making an ass of himself? What? That's crazy talk, Espy. You're crazy. Stop talking crazy. That shit never happens!

figmentPez

Staff member
I said "rage OFF". Not "rage ON".
Thats just his pre-set.
Oh, I misunderstood what you meant. I think the only thing that keeps Kurtz from constantly ranting is that it wears him out. If he were in better shape the anger would never stop.

It's so funny, when I read through the comments section, he has some really valid points, in facet I agree with him. If he would tone down his attitude, no matter the past events between him and them, they might actually treat him as an equal rather than a angry little kid.

Yeah, that logic is bullshit. I don't remember bitching at Blizzcon last year about all the people who got to see it on PPV. He's listening to a few whiners who want to keep their experience "exclusive" while completely missing out on the exposure and the money from everyone who couldn't attend. Way to go.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, that logic is bullshit. I don't remember bitching at Blizzcon last year about all the people who got to see it on PPV. He's listening to a few whiners who want to keep their experience "exclusive" while completely missing out on the exposure and the money from everyone who couldn't attend. Way to go.
Apparently they're also worried that they won't be able to get enough people to attend if there's an alternative to coming in person. What they're not thinking of is that there is no replacement for being there in person, and that DVD sales would help word of mouth and convince more people to even think of coming in person. Letting people know what is happening, and showing them what they're missing out. They're selling themselves short if they think that all they have to offer is what can be put on video.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Later on the comments on that page, the dude changes his position, saying that a DVD makes sense after further consideration. Apparently, he was giving too much weight to the opinions of a small handful of people who felt it was unfair to release a DVD. But its still unlikely he can make one because he didn't think to negotiate rights with the speakers beforehand, and it's apparently made it more difficult.

It sounds like the next one they organize will be set up with a DVD in mind.

C

Chibibar

There is no comparison when watching a DVD and being in person. There are so much you can do in person that you can't get from a DVD. I am glad later SK decides to recant his original position cause that is a silly one.

Concert DVD are being sold ALL the time. I see tons of concerts on DVD and the good one are still being sold out in actual concert. I don't think it takes away. I believe it enhance the "need" to go to the event.

Apparently they're also worried that they won't be able to get enough people to attend if there's an alternative to coming in person. [/QUOTE]

I think we can safely say this is bullshit, considering that the tickets for Blizzcon sold out in what, less than 24 hours? People aren't just going to see the convention. They are going to socialize with people they know have a similar interest and to get some very, very awesome swag and memorabilia.

It's so funny, when I read through the comments section, he has some really valid points, in facet I agree with him. If he would tone down his attitude, no matter the past events between him and them, they might actually treat him as an equal rather than a angry little kid.
This seems to be a frequent condition with Scott. When talking about the direction of the comic industry, especially in terms of achieving success for one's own work, he tends to be right far more often than he's wrong, which is more than you can say for most of the print guys.

But he's so obsessed with rubbing their faces in it, he frequently comes off as a jerk, which helps the print guys further marginalize him.

I'm still trying to figure out, with his long association with PA, and his working with Blind Ferret, why he can't take a page from their books and make his points without the rage and self-righteousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.