Resident Evil: Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8094852733

I totally forgot about this game (was mention before somewhere) It is basically Resident Evil 1 redone for the Wii.

It is pretty awesome. Of course the game is harder since the zombie are "tougher" and it is NOT a TPS (Third person shooter like RE4) or FPS. It is pretty tough. I play as Jill and if you are bitten more than 3 times, you are dead.

So far, I suck at this and keep dying early, but with practice, I can out maneuver the zombies. (yes, most of the fights are optional)

This is actually REmake for the Gamecube, ported to the Wii with new controls. Also, it's not that hard as long as you remember to kill normal zombies with Flame Rounds from the Grenade Launcher, the Flamethrower, or to burn their bodies using the lighter and flask. Alternatively, you can blow off their heads. This will keep Crimson Head appearences to a minimum, which are the enemies that make the game hard.

AshburnerX said:
This is actually REmake for the Gamecube, ported to the Wii with new controls. Also, it's not that hard as long as you remember to kill normal zombies with Flame Rounds from the Grenade Launcher, the Flamethrower, or to burn their bodies using the lighter and flask. Alternatively, you can blow off their heads. This will keep Crimson Head appearences to a minimum, which are the enemies that make the game hard.
This all does work, but as you up the difficulty the ammo gets more scarce. It's better to learn how to run past the shamblers and focus on the more dangerous stuff.

Great game, by the way. I never got to play the orginal or the REmake for the GC, so this was a great purchase for me. If anyone here has played the GC version, I would recommend against buying it (unless you are a diehard RE fan). There's nothing new except for the optional Wii controls.

C

Chibibar

Tress said:
AshburnerX said:
This all does work, but as you up the difficulty the ammo gets more scarce. It's better to learn how to run past the shamblers and focus on the more dangerous stuff.

Great game, by the way. I never got to play the orginal or the REmake for the GC, so this was a great purchase for me. If anyone here has played the GC version, I would recommend against buying it (unless you are a diehard RE fan). There's nothing new except for the optional Wii controls.
that is all fine and dandy, but I never play the GC version. So I have no idea where to get the advance ammo much less the new weapons... I got a dinky knife with a gun with 15 rounds.

Tress said:

I disagree here, I think the Wii controls are enough to allow for a repurchase, it really changes the feel of the game by a mile.

I wish they would re-release Outbreak and Outbreak: File 2. The PS2 versions are crap now that the company running the servers decided to drop the game and Capcom's not willing to pony up for it again. They should re-release them on the PS3/360 and just make the games run the server on the system to get around this problem.

Still, at least we got a homage to them in Umbrella Chronicles. Ada's levels run through the final level of File 2 and some of the zombies look like characters from it (I saw Jim at least.)

C

Chibibar

AshburnerX said:
I wish they would re-release Outbreak and Outbreak: File 2. The PS2 versions are crap now that the company running the servers decided to drop the game and Capcom's not willing to pony up for it again. They should re-release them on the PS3/360 and just make the games run the server on the system to get around this problem.

Still, at least we got a homage to them in Umbrella Chronicles. Ada's levels run through the final level of File 2 and some of the zombies look like characters from it (I saw Jim at least.)
you mean they won't re-release for the Wii??

I'm hoping :) I mean they re-release Archives. I'm hoping they will release resident evil 2 and 3 and possible veronica X :) that would be cool (file 1 and 2 would be awesome)

Shegokigo said:
Tress said:

I disagree here, I think the Wii controls are enough to allow for a repurchase, it really changes the feel of the game by a mile.
You would know better than me. I was just speculating. It's all new to me, and I couldn't be happier with it. :D

Yeah, the same thing i heard about RE4... i was looking for somethign along the lines of "the same, but better" or "different, but <opinion>".

@Li3n said:
Good... now all i need is a Wii and 60$...
Do keep in mind though that Ammo isn't everywhere in RE: Archives like it is in RE3 and that you don't get a a dodge move. It's much harder.

Ammo everywhere?! I used the infinite ammo rifle i got from the Mercenaries sub-game in that one... but maybe i've gotten better since then...

@Li3n said:
Ammo everywhere?! I used the infinite ammo rifle i got from the Mercenaries sub-game in that one... but maybe i've gotten better since then...
Well yeah... In RE3, they gave you all that Gunpowder. If you used it well, you could get really powerful stuff like Cryo Rounds for your Grenade Launcher (which were Nemesis'es weakness), Magnum Rounds, or just a shitload of Handgun bullets and Shotgun Shells. In RE: Archives, even Handgun Bullets or Shotgun shells are kinda rare. You really need to learn to run around Zombies instead of killing them.

C

Chibibar

AshburnerX said:
@Li3n said:
Well yeah... In RE3, they gave you all that Gunpowder. If you used it well, you could get really powerful stuff like Cryo Rounds for your Grenade Launcher (which were Nemesis'es weakness), Magnum Rounds, or just a shitload of Handgun bullets and Shotgun Shells. In RE: Archives, even Handgun Bullets or Shotgun shells are kinda rare. You really need to learn to run around Zombies instead of killing them.
Yea.. I learn the hard way. I was trying to do it "RE4" style and died.

Slashing it with a knife works BUT you have to keep moving back a little or the zombie will just lunge at you and chop on you (again x3 = death without any healing) and healing is rare. There is no shop (so far) and you have limit space (8 slots for Jill and 6 for Chris) there is a storage bin you can access later to store your junk (kinda like universal bank box heh)

Man, i remember reading guides on how to finish the whole game with the knife... that still sounds insane to me.

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
Man, i remember reading guides on how to finish the whole game with the knife... that still sounds insane to me.
heh. I read that. It takes some finesse to do it. It is NOT like RE4 where the zombie gets "knocked back" with each knife. You still hit it, but the zombie continue moving forward, which mean in RE:A you need to move BACKWARD a little and continue knifing it until it dies. This is hard :( I try doing it but still haven't got the timing down. I was eaten after couple of tries.

The aiming of the gun and damage is bad too. Since it is 3rd person view from bird eye angle, it is hard to "aim" I try shooting several time and keep missing, and you can't just "aim for the head" either :(

I think in 3 the idea was to dodge them and hit them from behind/the sides... but all i can remember well is that i sucked at it.

A

Aisaku

A question: Do the wii style controls in this let you play the game as if it were RE4 or 5, from the character's shoulder and free aiming?

C

Chibibar

Aisaku said:
A question: Do the wii style controls in this let you play the game as if it were RE4 or 5, from the character's shoulder and free aiming?
nope. You can "aim and shoot" but no receptacle (target) it is like blind shooting. I wasted 10 bullets on a zombie :(

It does make controlling the character easier (right hand wii mote, left hand nunchuck for movement) of course if you are left handed, it is easier just to switch around. I think that is what make the Wii popular. You can change from right/left handed to the other.

A

Aisaku

>_< Oh kay... So the sole redeeming value of this is that it's rehashed for the wii and that it's the ultimate version of the first resident evil. Considering the Wii can play GC games, it's more of a reprint than anything.

Aisaku said:
>_< Oh kay... So the sole redeeming value of this is that it's rehashed for the wii and that it's the ultimate version of the first resident evil. Considering the Wii can play GC games, it's more of a reprint than anything.
With much better movement controls, which for this version of the game, is almost required.

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Aisaku said:
With much better movement controls, which for this version of the game, is almost required.
I think it has better graphic. (it is pretty nicely done)

Aisaku said:
We already covered this. It's a straight reprint of the GC version, with new control options for using the Wii controls. Everything else is the same. You shouldn't get it if you are looking for anything new beyond control schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.