[Question] Requesting help from other college students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have to research how other colleges handle their counseling departments for an assignment for my communications class, but I'm quickly finding a lot of local colleges don't have a whole lot of helpful information on their website about their counseling departments. If you're a college student (or a graduate and can provide me information about your former college), please help me by answering any the following:

Which college do you go to?

What services does your counseling center offer students?

How does your counseling center handle appointments and walk-ins? E.G. can you make appointments by phone only, by walk-in only, does it allow you to make appointments online, does it offer a mix of the three, ect?

How far in advanced do you have to make an appointment to be able to see a counselor?

Can you provide me a link to your college's counseling center website, or if it's locked behind a student log-in page, can you provide me a screen shot?

Thanks!

What I'm finding most interesting so far is that different college's have different definitions of "counseling." At my college, the only service you can get from them is academic planning. They help you figure out which classes you need to graduate or transfer and send you on your way. The other colleges I've found that have a website for their counselors emphasize that they're supportive in other ways, like a psychologist/therapist type of way.

Well, we have individual advisers assigned to us. They are the ones that asses what classes you need to graduate and everything. They are assigned by major and advise students who are in their departments. They are all the professors of the departments.

I thought that was how all state colleges handled it.

M

makare

The people who help us pick class are not part of student counseling. You can go to student counseling and see an actual counselor to help with stress and other things.

A) Is info from other countries useful or are you keeping it Stateside?
B) What, exactly, do you mean by "counseling"? I mean, there's at least 6 or 7 different departments/organisations/people working stuff I could fit into that category at my former uni: psychological assistance, studying aid, course choice assistant, social services, ....

What Bubble said.

Although I can still answer the questions I suppose. I never used any counselling except for the career centre, but my understanding was that you had to book appointments, and if there was a way to do that by phone or through the net, nobody I know knew how to do that. You generally had to walk to the office to book your appointment in person.

It would probably be best if I stuck with course choice assistance, as that's what our school interprets "counseling" as. My assignment was fairly abiguous as it turns out, since it's simply "find out about counseling at other schools." I'm sure even out of US info would be helpful, as I'm looking for information I can present as "And this is how School X and Y do it, as opposed to the way ours does it..."

Fair enough. I'll have to look around for a bit, might've changed a bit since I graduated (it's been 4 years?! J H Christ, what am I doing with my life?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.