Export thread

PHASE TWO: The Halforums Epic Battle of the Artistic Stuff 2012 Apocalypse Version

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

So now that we have our final three choices down, we can get started on the fun stuff!

I am going to have a final date of entry set at Monday, May 7th, 2012.

If anyone has any true problems with that being the last day, I figure it gives you plenty of time to let us know, or work around it. If you all have any complaints or additions you think need to be made to the final date, please let us know!

Allow me to recap what I put in the last thread:

"
I would begin thinking of ideas at this point for your topic, but remember, you can only enter ONE piece for only ONE topic. No multiple entries, no entering once for each separate topic, and no combining topics.

You must choose from:

1) Hot Chicks, Monsters, and Superheroes
2) Literal Song Translations
3) I Heart Video Games

There they are folks, start the brainstorming! It'll be some time before the contest ends, so no need to rush into anything yet. Also, I would refrain from spoiling your work of art too long before judging happens, as a bit of suspense/surprise I think may do wonders :) But ultimately, it is your decision on whether you want to share it or not. (Me, I'll probably end up choosing Literal Song Translations as my topic... any suggestions??)

"

So with that said, I kind of think it would be a neat idea to let everyone know which topic you are most interested in. I think it might be nice to see what others are attempting to do, as competition usually does wonders at driving creativity :)

As far as how a winner will be decided; As of now, I think it would be best to have the art be voted upon by the fellow members of Halforums. This wouldn't be simply a "click LIKE on the one you want to win," but rather through a voting system that would keep your vote anonymous (Through PM's with an impartial third party of course.)

So if I thought ElJuski had a drawing that I thought was the tits, I would send a PM to the Judge and say "I vote for Juski's tits, sir and/or ma'am."

That's a basic rundown of how I see this panning out (it sounds fine in my head, but hey, I once drew a western-style duel featuring a penis and calleja in drag. So take my mind for what it's worth..)

As always, the power is now in your hands, Halforums.

I expect great things.

------------------------------------------------------------------
The Contestants Combatants:

Bumble the Boy Wonder
mr_thehun
fade
Dei
LittleSin
LittleKagsin
Zappit
Silver Jelly
David
ElJuski
North_Ranger
Gusto
Azurephoenix
Bowielee

LittleSin

LittleSin

I am PUMPED.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

This is not an entry because I am not an entrant. Also because it's terrible. For category 2:

heCannotReadMyPokerFace.gif

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

It's like I'm looking at a masterpiece..

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It'll someday be in the Louvre, hanging next to the Mona Lisa.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

No, Cheesy.

It's more correct to say that the Mona Lisa will be hanging next to it.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm terrified for this.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm totally picking "I heart video games" as my subject!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I'm 80% sure I have decided what song I will be doing for my Literal Song Translation.

I for sure know which band at least.

drifter

drifter

ZOMBIE TI-TAYS!

By the by, that's for Literal Song Translation.

you can only enter ONE piece for only ONE topic. No multiple entries, no entering once for each separate topic, and no combining topics.

You're not the boss of me.

(might be too lazy to enter even once, but we'll see!)

Zappit

Zappit

I am ready. Let us begin.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I've been having trouble trying to hash out the layout of my drawing... It's rather difficult to do something entirely different from what you're used to, especially when you know you'll be judged on it :mad:

How is everyone else doing on theirs?

MAY IS COMIN' UP FAST!

ElJuski

ElJuski

OH SHIT I FORG... I mean, yes. It's been rather difficult to do something entirely different, indeed.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've got the basic outline done, just have to clean and color it, but with recent school work and finals fast approaching I may miss the deadline entirely.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I still haven't had a good idea. :(

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm workin' slowly but surely on mine. My life is getting consumed by costumes, so finding time to work on it is hard. Heh, hopefully I can finish it in time.

Dei

Dei

I had an idea, but having time to implement is... yes... interesting...

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I can very easily move the deadline back. Is anyone opposed to that?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm cool with it either way.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

How much more time do you think should be added? What if it just gets bumped to May 31? I'm fine with anything really

LittleSin

LittleSin

I don't think it should be that far back. People are liable to forget about it or lose motivation.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

People are liable to do that no matter when the due date is :p

strawman

strawman

May the fourth, obviously.

Besides, all extra time is going to do is add more days to be stressed about leaving until the last minute anyway.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

It stays the same then.

They're all due May 7th, so make it your beeswax to have it on that day. I mean, we're all adults, I just don't see a reason we can't be places on time.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I wouldn't mind a small extension (as I've been sick with stupid hand foot and mouth disease I got from my kids the past week and a half) but I will still do my best to try and get it done by the deadline.

Edit : Ninja'd... curse you bumble!

ElJuski

ElJuski

It stays the same then.

They're all due May 7th, so make it your beeswax to have it on that day. I mean, we're all adults, I just don't see a reason we can't be places on time.
You've just got a trapper-keeper full of appointments, right?

fade

fade

Oooooh boy. I am going to kick ALL of your asses.

Me on May 7th:

fade

fade

(assuming checkeredhat, Fennewale and CogNoman stay away)

drifter

drifter

Blarg

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Well kicking my ass at this is like beating a two year old in an arm wrestling match... so there...

:p

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

You've just got a trapper-keeper full of appointments, right?
No, but I've got something on the 8th, and I've already moved it twice

Gusto

Gusto

Well kicking my ass at this is like beating a two year old in an arm wrestling match... so there...

Well kicking MY ass is gonna be like defeating a two year old who had to forfeit due to absence!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well kicking MY ass is gonna be like defeating a two year old who had to forfeit due to absence!
SIMILES?!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh, and kicking my ass is basically impossible.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

SIMILES?!

Hey, no table flipping in here! You be nice or my entry will be a giant similie... ;)

Oh, and kicking my ass is basically impossible.

Did you have it surgically removed?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I and everything I do is great. Even if other people try to kick my ass, they just won't be able to.

ElJuski

ElJuski

some penis-in-vagina action?

EDIT: This is RE: @Bumble, obviously

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Nah, dickhead. Sex!

ElJuski

ElJuski

I love you, Bumble.

fade

fade

And then they kissed?

strawman

strawman

Be aware that two year olds fight dirty when arm wrestling. They have no problem with throwing a frog or block at your head to gain an advantage.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Be aware that two year olds fight dirty when arm wrestling. They have no problem with throwing a frog or block at your head to gain an advantage.

My three year old tries to eye gouge me... not really sure where he learned that...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Can't promise delivery; have been dealing with quite a lot of health-based crap in the past few weeks. Kidney drain blocking up, running up a fever, trying to keep from getting sick right after chemo, trying to make it in the Medieval Market rehearsals without having to leave halfway through because of deteriorated physical condition. Just... a lot of shit recently, really.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I think I'm going to have to drop out....I really don't have the time right now to put as much effort into this piece as I want to. I still want to finish it for sure, but...it definately won't be done by the deadline. Sorry guys. :(

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm not going to wuss out; I will, however, forget until the last minute and crayola the shit out of whatever comes to mind.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pissed as all hell. Last weekend, I was working on mine on my iPad. I was almost done coloring it and the freakin' app crashed and the autosave didn't kick in, so I'm back to my rough pencils.... REASWEARAESDFASGDEASDGAFFEAERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Gusto

Gusto

I'm not going to wuss out; I will, however, forget until the last minute and crayola the shit out of whatever comes to mind.
Yeah this basically. I still have no really good ideas.

fade

fade

I'm in, but I've only drawn a rough sketch at this point. I think next time we should have a much shorter deadline.

Gusto

Gusto

I agree. Giving me a month and a half is making me feel like the sketchy-ass sketch I'll likely submit isn't as fancy and high-detail-rendered as it should be.
:(

ElJuski

ElJuski

Please don't blow me.

ElJuski

ElJuski

How's that asexuality working out for you?
question mark

LittleSin

LittleSin

OH SHIT. It's May! Time to actually do something!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Well, my drawing is still in the sucky stages lol. I'll probably only be finished the rough version by the deadline... but I'll sumbit it anyways (I blame being sick for nearly 3 weeks... and you can't draw when you have hand foot and mouth disease!)

That or I'll follow Juski's lead, steal my 3 year old's crayons and draw something awesome!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I'll be gone at a conference for the rest of the week, so I'm just going to submit mine as the rough draft.

Nintendo.png

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

If rough drafts are being submitted, I may as well post mine too. :)

But not today. Ha.

fade

fade

More or less done. I went for something different: banksyesque pop art.

Gusto

Gusto

More or less done. I went for something different: banksyesque pop art.

O RLY

I'm actually really excited to see that.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

So how's everyone doing with this so far? Only four days to go till the deadline.

I can safely say I won't be finished... but I will still post what I have done at that point. I grossly underestimated how much time my idea would take and how rusty my drawing skills had become. I might have the rough uncoloured version done. We will see what the next few days bring.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I did one version of what I want..but it didn't come out as plan. Will be doing another version.

fade

fade

O RLY

I'm actually really excited to see that.
When I woke up, I looked at it again, and I'm wondering now if it looks like Banksy or bad photoshop... :(

Gusto

Gusto

When I woke up, I looked at it again, and I'm wondering now if it looks like Banksy or bad photoshop... :(
Aw man that's the worst feeling.

Still wanna see it though.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I plan on finishing my drawing eventually regardless of how this contest turns out.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

For reference:

How we will judge! I will post an account that will be the judge, and we will all send PM's to that account ranking our 3 top choices for favorite drawing. First, second, and third place.

First place gets 3 points, Second gets 2 points, and third place gets 1. We will take the total number of points you've earned after all the votes, and the project with the most votes wins!

Dave will be in charge of the Judge account, and he will do the counting, as he is an impartial third party, and has no gain from messing with the votes (I think... :ninja: )

So the judge account will post in here next week, when voting opens up!

Guidelines on how you should decide a winner: 1) How creative was the piece? 2) Does the piece evoke any strong emotions from you (could be srs, could be lulz!) 3) Are there boobs in it?

Really, I don't think we need guidelines. Just try to vote honestly, don't make it a popularity contest. We know what we like, and sometimes it just stands out to you! Vote responsibly guys, it's not like we're just choosing a president or something.

drifter

drifter

If you're really worried about it turning into a popularity contest, how about having all entries sent to the judge account, who posts them anonymously? May not make much of a difference, but it's just a thought.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

That's a good idea.

Does anyone have objections to doing things that way?

fade

fade

Nope. (Though most of us know each other's styles by now).

Dave, there's a crisp George Washington in it for you if you slip a few votes my way.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

What's he going to do with 25 cents?

ElJuski

ElJuski

I think mine will be obvious regardless of who posts it :(

LittleSin

LittleSin

Same here.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah frankly I think it'll be pretty clear.

Also, don't be tacky and vote for yourself. No one likes that guy.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

No one knows what my crappy drawing looks like!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Hey guys, I just came here to see when the limit date was...

holy crap!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Just finished mine! Not my best work, as I got a bit experimental with my supplies. :p However, it was fun.

strawman

strawman

What's he going to do with 25 cents?
What can't you do with a CRISP quarter?

Gusto

Gusto

Just finished mine! Not my best work, as I got a bit experimental with my supplies. :p However, it was fun.
Yay! Excited.

David

David

I haven't even started yet, and I still have absolutely no idea what to do other than some video game fan art :(

Zappit

Zappit

Halfway through mine. Trying that monster, heroes, hot girls one.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

So how are we handling the posting of these drawings?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I say we just post them here, and possibly give a brief description or explanation as to what inspired your project, and what we are peeping.

The Judge

Hello.

I am The Judge.

You will PM your top three votes, and I will judge them harshly.

Soon, Dave will be in charge of checking my collected data.

Thank you.

Gusto

Gusto

I request The Judge have an Uncle Phil avatar.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

AsariAdept.jpg

Azurephoenix's entry: Topic - I heart Video Games.

I guess I'll get this started. I'm not going to get any more done on this before the 7th so I may as well enter it. This is way less than I was hoping to accomplish but my drawing skills can't quite match up with my imagination. This was originally going to be a group shot of Jay, Scytherex, Ravenpoe, Frank and my main multiplayer characters from Mass Effect 3 but due to sickness, incompetence and procrastination I only got Jay's Asari Adept semi-completed. I'm not happy with my linework and I really need a better scanner to show the shading better (it's really grainy... I swear it looks much better on paper).

Anyhow... that's it, I hope you like it... it's my first colorization too so that was an interesting learning process. I will likely start a thread in the Artist forum chronicling the continued progress on this as I do want to finish my main idea.
Game on everyone!

Zappit

Zappit

It. Is. Done.

drifter

drifter

Hey, uh, is the deadline tonight, or tomorrow night?

Zappit

Zappit

The 7th is the last day - I just think a few of us are getting them in now before a new workday.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Just turn it in anytime today or tomorrow, really.

drifter

drifter

Sweet, more time to procrastinate! Words With Friends here I come!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I am pretty impressed with the entries so far... although I am super jealous of Zappit's super clean linework.

drifter

drifter

Shiiit I forgot how crap I am at drawing clothes.

David

David

I have an idea for mine, but I can't shake a feeling that I got they idea from seeing it done somewhere else before, but searching Google I can't find anything like it. I guess the best I can do is go forward with it knowing that, to the best of my searching abilities, it doesn't already exist.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Did Zappit post his? If so, I'm not seeing it at all on any browser I'm using.

David

David

I wanted to do so much more with this, but I procrastinated too long and am just straight up out of time.

"CSI: Mushroom Kingdom"
Category: I Heart Video Games

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

lol, awesome

Dei

Dei

I will have mine up by tomorrow night, but I don't do drawing, so it will be a picture of what I did.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I will have mine up by tomorrow night, but I don't do drawing, so it will be a picture of what I did.
Perfectly fine! I tried to refrain from using "drawing" when I was describing the rules, though sometimes I did slip :p

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

[USER]Zappit[/USER] do you draw your stuff entirely on the computer (say with a tablet) or do you do it traditionally on paper, ink it and scan it? Inquiring minds must know! :)

P.S. - Dang it... I can't get the tagging person thing to work...

drifter

drifter

You can do it manually, too.

Code:
[USER]Zappit[/USER]

Gusto

Gusto

Just so that people don't cast their votes before considering everyone, I AM GOING TO BE SUBMITTING SOMETHING. It might be a second before midnight but rest assured it IS in progress.

Maybe The Judge shouldn't accept any votes before midnight? (the 8th)

Dei

Dei

I am going to be cutting it really close to hit the deadline too Gusto, I AM WITH YOU!

Gusto

Gusto

Actually I just finished. I was able to get the desired affect by leaving all my sketch layers in the final product at full opacity. I like things looking sketchy. :)

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'd rather you had no chance of winning, Goose, so I have a better chance of being noticed at all :(

Gusto

Gusto

See, Juice, the trick is, when posting semi-nude video game characters, draw women!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Guys, I fail.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I keep looking at mine and feeling dissatisfied.

Gusto

Gusto

I keep looking at mine and feeling dissatisfied.
Yeah? At this point I'm probably giving you one of my votes. (SPOILERS!)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Are we all supposed to vote or is it just non-entrants that vote?

If we vote, I'm assuming we should not include our own picture (no matter how awesome it may be?)

Gusto

Gusto

I think everyone, whether participating or not, should be allowed to vote, but don't vote for own piece. Hella lame, and The Judge shall have little mercy.

Zappit

Zappit

[USER]Zappit[/USER] do you draw your stuff entirely on the computer (say with a tablet) or do you do it traditionally on paper, ink it and scan it? Inquiring minds must know! :)

P.S. - Dang it... I can't get the tagging person thing to work...
Inquiring minds, eh? No tablets - that's pen and ink on smooth bristol board, with only the slightest contrast adjustments in photoshop.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Inquiring minds, eh? No tablets - that's pen and ink on smooth bristol board, with only the slightest contrast adjustments in photoshop.

Do you rough it in first with graphite or pencil crayon or do you just go straight to ink?

Zappit

Zappit

Just a regular clicker pencil - .005, clean up with Steadleater erasers, which are really, really good.

fade

fade

Hmm. I'm disappointed with my own entry after looking at the others. Maybe I should've stuck with my usual style.

Gusto

Gusto

Hmm. I'm disappointed with my own entry after looking at the others. Maybe I should've stuck with my usual style.
I agree with Hun I was happy to see you branch out a bit. It sure ain't easy.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Dei may have the underdog favorite in this competition.

Also, submissions will end at 12 midnight PACIFIC.

Gusto

Gusto

PACIFIC!? FUUUUUUUUUUUU

*works on mine for several more hours*

*not really*

Gusto

Gusto

Well, drifter wins.

*packs up briefcase and steps onto train tracks*

The Judge

Bout to close up shop on entries..

Anyone that submits an entry after my post in the other thread, shall be mercilessly mocked by everyone else.

Zappit

Zappit

So, how about another one? I used to do the Ten Ton Studios weekly challenges, and the winner would choose the next topic. It kept it interesting - might we want to do this here, and make this a monthly contest?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm up for another challenge... even with my distinct lack of ability... :)