Export thread

Nitehawks & Top Shelf Hockey Thread

Covar

Covar

So A few weeks ago I joined a learn to play hockey class and pickup, and I'm having an absolute blast. It's very casual, I'm learning a lot, and everyone is really supportive.

Man the gear is expensive though. I've spent around $600 just on equipment and I'm still missing shoulder pads and a few other odds and ends (A bigger bag, and suspenders). Still I can definitely see my self getting my moneys worth, and I plan to join a beginners league this summer.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah the equipment is really pricey. I think that's one of the largest obstacles it has gaining popularity internationally. You can get some good deals if you don't mind buying second hand equipment though.

I'd love to play again. Its been about 12 years since the last time I even put on skates though.

Mathias

Mathias

find a used sporting goods shop in your area, or ebay.

600 bucks is nothing. I shell out at least a grand on goalie shit every year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The equipment is the second biggest drawback to the game.

Ice is the first.

Covar

Covar

Yea, unfortunately being in North Carolina what Hockey gear the used sport stores have tend to be youth sizes.

Still having a blast, and my skating is improving which is helping a lot.

Mathias

Mathias

Yea, unfortunately being in North Carolina what Hockey gear the used sport stores have tend to be youth sizes.

Still having a blast, and my skating is improving which is helping a lot.

Ebay

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Man I wish I could get into hockey here but I have no idea where to start. I have pretty strong skating skills but I can't stick handle or shoot to save my life.

Covar

Covar

Adult beginner class/pickup (granted I'm in North Carolina and not Canada, so we're much more tolerant of people who have never played). My skating skills were weak, and everything else was non existent. Now I can skate a whole lot better and am able to focus more on passing and shooting.

Timmus

Timmus

Right on man. The gear can be pricey but it's definitely worth it. Have fun and keep your stick on the ice.

Mathias

Mathias

Anyone who gives beginners shit is an asshole. Everyone's got to start somewhere. Good for you.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Adult beginner class/pickup (granted I'm in North Carolina and not Canada, so we're much more tolerant of people who have never played). .
That's a rather large assumption.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, you know, there's that whole mythology about Canadians being born with skates on their feet.

Covar

Covar

That's a rather assumption.
Largely based on the popularity of the sport to the geographic regions and my own anecdotal evidence with the sports that are popular down here. Tolerant might not be a good word, expectations maybe?

Covar

Covar

Still improving. I got a few months until the summer leagues start. I've been playing quite a bit of defense in the pickups just because I'm a big guy (6'2" ~230lbs) and there's a definite lack of people who want to play it. Of course that means I definitely need to improve at transitioning backwards and forwards.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Still improving. I got a few months until the summer leagues start. I've been playing quite a bit of defense in the pickups just because I'm a big guy (6'2" ~230lbs) and there's a definite lack of people who want to play it. Of course that means I definitely need to improve at transitioning backwards and forwards.
Skating backwards and my lack of ability to do so is really the only reason I was forced to play left wing when I played. I'm a short guy, but I've always been stocky and I could knock people down pretty damn good and forced turn overs like you read about. But my shot is weak so I sucked as a forward (My own fault. I'm right handed but play lefty because I have better stick handling that way, but sacrifice all power out of my shot by doing so). Basically, when I play road hockey I'm a decent defenseman, but when I play on ice I'm a terrible... anything, really.

Timmus

Timmus

A good way to train for that situation is to do sprints up and down the ice. Start behind the goal line and skate forwards as hard as you can until you get to the blue line. Then you should turn backwards and skate backwards through center ice. Once you hit the other blue line turn forwards again and stop at the goal line.

Frank

Frank

I'm a God awful skater but was a big fat guy who was surprisingly nimble so shockingly enough, I ended up the goalie all the time. I haven't played actual hockey since high school though. Maybe I should find an old timer's league (I have a couple of friends who play in them). I'm not RCMP team calibre so there's no point in looking there. Those guys are actually good.

Covar

Covar

Picked up One of these bad boys today. Much nicer and larger than the spare duffle bag I was using.

Covar

Covar

And now I have a full set of gear. Next week I start playing in a Lower C league, so I finally grabbed a set of shoulder pads. I went with the Easton Synergy EQPro, found them on Amazon for about $10 less than anywhere else.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And I shall be the first to make the most obvious statement on a forum such as this:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! ;)

Covar

Covar

2012-04-22 18.45.51.jpg

I play my first game tonight. First line defense.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That is one sexy hockey bag.

Covar

Covar

I'm number #25 in the red hat and pants, with the white socks. The one looking all slow, lumbering, and like he still can't stand on the ice. (man I look a lot worse than I thought)

Soliloquy

Interesting choice of music. The game piss you off that much?

Timmus

Timmus

Ice isn't running in my neck of the woods. I'm a bit jealous.

Covar

Covar

Interesting choice of music. The game piss you off that much?
I can't take credit for the video. I didn't really get pissed until the end when I was too slow, and wasn't able to chase a loose puck fast enough to stop the empty netter. I made some good plays at the blue line though, so that's something.

Covar

Covar

Scored my first goal last night, in the last game of the summer season. Grabbed a rebound 3 feet from the crease and tried knocking it through the five-hole. Goalie managed to get a piece of it, but it slipped out from behind his pads allowing me to just tap it in from behind him.

Covar

Covar

This thread is now about my hockey team (Top Shelf) and our fall league. First game is tonight against Freaks 'n Deeks, I'll be playing right wing on the third line. Over the summer I finished with 8 GP, 1 G, 1 A, and 2 PIM. The league unfortunately doesn't track point differential, but I'll try and keep track myself now.

Post game report to come later.

Aim High! Go Top Shelf!

Timmus

Timmus

Right on dude. I'll be playing in a rec league this fall as well. doesn't start till october though. I have yet to be assigned a team but once I am and if it's ok with you I'll talk about it here too.

Covar

Covar

Hell yes! We'll change the thread title once you get a team.

Timmus

Timmus

Not gonna lie pretty stoked to be in a league again after all that time in china.

Covar

Covar

Top Shelf defeated the Freaks 'n Deeks last night 4-1. I had 0 points, finishing at a -1 differential.

Code:
               1 2 3 Total
Top Shelf      2 1 1  4
Freaks & Dekes 0 1 0  1

Timmus

Timmus

Too Many freaks not enough dekes.

Covar

Covar

Hoping start the season with 2 in a row, Top Shelf faces Dynamo this Sunday at 2:00.

Aim High! Go Top Shelf!

Covar

Covar

Collapsing defense caused Dynamo to hold the offense for a good chunk of the game, limiting the scoring chances of Top Shelf. This caught up to us in the third.

Code:
           1 2 3 Total   SOG
Top Shelf  1 0 0   1     28
Dynamo     2 1 4   7     34
Personally I did ok, scoring the only goal (with a great assist by the D, knocked in the rebound from a slapshot.) for Top Shelf with an even differential.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ouch.

Timmus

Timmus

It's only september. I think Top Shelf just needs a little more time to gel.

Covar

Covar

Top Shelf (1-1-0-0) faces off against the Cat 5 Caniacs (1-1-0-0) tonight at 9:45. Will Covar continue his scoring streak? Can the team hold their zones to provide better breakout opportunities and provide relief for the goaltender?

You'll find out tomorrow!

Aim High! Go Top Shelf!

Timmus

Timmus

This threads good and all but it's full of top shelf homers!

Covar

Covar

Top Shelf defeats the Cat 5 Caniacs with a 4-1 victory in large part thanks to a hat trick by our star defenseman. This victory places us at second in the division.

I had zero points, and finished with a +3 differential.

Covar

Covar

We play 15 games in the season, with 2 playoff games. So here's the standings at the quarter mark.

standings 4gp.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dynamo? REALLY?

Timmus

Timmus

FYI on Sunday ill be making my preseason debut for the Nitehawks vs I don't know who.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Dynamo? REALLY?
Yeah, really.

You'd think if they were going to name their team after the Running Man, they'd name it after Professor Subzero.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, I mean... DYNAMO? That's a name out of the 1980's. Why not go all the way and call them Sparatak Dynamo Lokomotiv 2000?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just wanted to reference Running Man.

Covar

Covar

Our next game is tonight against Rampage. The game is at 11:15PM so our bench is smaller than normal (we're one of the larger teams, with good attendance, can usually fill 3 lines forwards and defense), because of this I've been moved to Center. Time to crush it!

Covar

Covar

We will also be debuting in our new Alternate Sweaters.

sweater.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

Needs a little more gold and blue.

Timmus

Timmus

Needs a little more gold and blue.
Said no one ever.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just did, so there :p

(Oh, and add a more menacing logo, like a sabre-tooth tiger.)

Timmus

Timmus

They should have kept the old color scheme is all I'm gonna say.

Covar

Covar

Bitter defeat last Friday brings Top Shelf down to 3-2-0-0. Now back in their classic white sweaters they seek their second victory over the hungry Freaks & Dekes.

Aim High! Go Top Shelf!

drifter

drifter

We will also be debuting in our new Alternate Sweaters.

View attachment 8380
Nice looking sweater, but I'm curious; what's the deal with the hanzi/kanji? Heaven?

Timmus

Timmus

It's a metaphysical top shelf I suppose.

Timmus

Timmus

Preseason ends in my rec league. 1 goal. 2 pim. 3 games with 3 or less subs....gonna be a long year.

Covar

Covar

Getting ready to resume hockey tomorrow after a far-to-long Thanksgiving break. Standings are still pretty fluid. First place is right out, but if we play hard there's room to move up with a strong push.
standings 11gp.png

Timmus

Timmus

I'll necro this thread.

I play for the leagues Charlie Brown team. We've yet to win. However tonight I scored a goal off my cup and I feel that's kind of newsworthy.

Timmus

Timmus

yo @Covar you still playing hockey?

Covar

Covar

I'm taking the fall season off. I was starting to get burnt out with the team I was playing on. Good group of people, provided we weren't in the process of losing a game. We finished .500 the last two seasons so yea. I'm not a fan of finger pointing (especially when you don't point it at yourself at all). Our Lower C leagues are broken up into North and South, I'm going to probably join a North team this spring. It's a little better talent (still Lower C level though) and I think I can hang, and I'll be able to improve my game more getting to play with better players than me.

Timmus

Timmus

Jamming on that groove. The hockey we play is too low stakes for finger pointing. Here's hoping your next team has maturity to go with the talent.

Timmus

Timmus

Hawks start the preseason with a 7-4 victory. 1G 2A for me. :cool: