New pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I took a huge break from the comic. Mostly for conference season and the holidays. That, and I redrew the new page a few times from top to bottom before I was okay with it. I spent some time on the lighting FX. What do you think?

O

Oddbot

Lighting FX and new page (at last)

Awesome job. The effects are great.

Very cool. Lighting is hard to get right, and I often just fake it. :p

P

Philosopher B.

Oh my stars ... 'tis sooo pretty. :zoid:

fade

Staff member
Pic for my sister's wedding

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I'm following suit from the art forums I frequent. It's pretty common there to change the thread title when you post something new. Hope no one minds too much.

I posted this before, but here it is again. It's a pic of my sister and I as kids. She's getting married, so I drew this for her. I'm about to have it printed out on nice paper so she can do what she wants with it.

Self-crits: This is my first attempt at cel-shading. I know it could be better. I also realize that the arm and leg are wrong for running, but I did that on purpose so that the arm/leg wouldn't block the scene. I figured bending reality was better than blocking things. I've been told it looks like his rear foot is back on the hill. I don't see it personally, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. Also, on the art fora, people hate that he's not holding on to her. (Whatever happened to suspension of disbelief?) Again, that was on purpose to engender a carefree feeling. I guess it must be too much to swallow, though.

Warning: png to preserve color, so huge img.

The foot bugs me, 'cause there's not much to base perspective off of outside of it, making it hard to judge the actual distance. Plus having it in that odd position makes it even more awkward.

The color looks good, though. Very vibrant.

The glasses look too high up on his head, and the dude holding the girl's feet would both solve the "holding" problem and the "arms while running/blocking" problem.

My 2 cents.

fade

Staff member

New pencils. Not colored yet. I just used a colored pencil for the map.

fade

Staff member
colored

Fade's Journal. March 11, 2009.
Huh. I've been told by me and my wife (who has only seen the film) that this looks very Dr. Manhattan-ish. Probably subconsciously influenced. Will investigate.

Hrm.

fade

Staff member
Well, there are some key similarities in how Dr. Manhattan perceives time and how Fade perceives magic. It was intended to represent a dimensionally transgressive view of the room, like the wood of the desk sprouting, etc. Both characters have strong ties to quantum theory. I probably drew the clock out of buried memories of Watchmen. I hadn't read it in a long, long time before drawing this. Though looking back, it is quite similar to the whole quark machine assembly he's working on when Rorschach visits. Whoopsie. Let's call it an "homage". It works for Hollywood.

I wouldn't have made the connection until you mentioned it. So I think you're cool. Dr. Manhattan is not the first person to dismantle a clock.

fade

Staff member
Some new pages

A new cover inspired heavily by Picasso's "The Dream". Anything cubist would've been perfect. I should've busted out Painter instead of Photoshop. But then I realized I didn't have Painter, and it was way too expensive to run out and buy. The flat coloring is intentional.

And new pages.

fade

Staff member
Here's some more pencils. I really like the way this page turned out. I'm never really all that happy with my art--and that's not compliment fishing. I just always feel it could be better. However, I really like how the coffee-drinking girl in 6th panel turned out. She's one of the best people I've drawn, I think.

Also, that stain on the right side is coffee--a rather odd coincidence given the setting.

And the colored page. I tried some new things. I don't know if I'll do them again though. I washed over a lot of the page with colors, but it kind of detracts from the color pencil look I've developed.

fade

Staff member
You know what's easy to draw? Muscular dudes beating the crap out of each other. Now I know why comic book artists focus on it. Way easier to lay out than people talking (and keep it interesting. Here's the pencils for a new page I just finished. Hot off my pencil.

Why yes, that is a nutshot.

Wow! I must say this is nicely done.

You have a cover there. Does this mean you have a published comic? Where does one find/buy it?

fade

Staff member
I separate issues, but really, it's kind of like a chapter heading. I "published" issue 1 through kinkos in 05, but that was just a few copies for friends. I looked into Lulu, but I've never actually done anything with it. I could.

Thanks for the compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.