Export thread

NBC bringing back Wonder Woman.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/friday-nig...ds-the-lead-in-nbcs-wonder-woman-reboot--2390

Looks like they picked a tall/pretty woman to wear the lasso.

I can only hope that it will be as into bondage as the original comic.

Chibibar

These are Amazon after all (except with two boobies instead of one) :)

Espy

Espy

Everything I've read about this so far makes it sound pretty... not good. I'd like to be wrong though.

Tress

Tress

Everything I've read about this so far makes it sound pretty... not good. I'd like to be wrong though.
Well, casting Adrianne Palicki is a good move. She's very talented. Everything else (script, concept, etc.) sounds just awful.

Kovac

Kovac

I have really only read the Wonder Woman comics post reboot but i'm wondering if they are be basing this TV show on any previous comics or established canon.

Espy

Espy

I have really only read the Wonder Woman comics post reboot but i'm wondering if they are be basing this TV show on any previous comics or established canon.
If by previous canon you mean "Ally McBeal" and "Sex in the City" then yes.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This can't possibly last long. Of course, I thought the same thing about Dawson's Smallville.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Of course, I thought the same thing about Dawson's Smallville.
Seriously, who keep watching that?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Me, and enough people to keep it on the air.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Me, and enough people to keep it on the air.
Could i have a list of your names, addresses and daily schedule/habits?!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Fridays at the gun range... Mondays teaching my dogs "man work"... Baseball practice...

@Li3n

@Li3n

So perfect "accident" excuses all week... and i was afraid this might take too long...

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm still watching it, too. While Smallville isn't amazing television, I still find it enjoyable.

Jiarn

Considering the subject material (Amazons, out of regular day to day life reality) I don't see this working. Smallville worked because it had a very belivable setting (outside the obvious super-powers).

Tress

Tress

If by previous canon you mean "Ally McBeal" and "Sex in the City" then yes.
Ick.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm still watching it, too. While Smallville isn't amazing television, I still find it enjoyable.
.. on drugs. Pls tell me you forgot to put in that part...

figmentPez

figmentPez

.. on drugs. Pls tell me you forgot to put in that part...
No. I just like the show. It's a little goofy, with lots of plot-holes and implausibility, but I actually like the characters.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I technically haven't really watched Smallville, but all the promos and commercials I've seen make me not want to.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm basically waiting for them to do the Blue Beetle episode and then I cans wear to never watch Smallville again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm basically waiting for them to do the Blue Beetle episode and then I cans wear to never watch Smallville again.
Oh, can it. You're drunk. You know that's not gonna happen.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

According to a panel at Comic Con...

Moderator Geoff Johns announced that he will again be writing an episode this season, and revealed it would introduce Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Asked which Blue Beetle it would be, Johns said we'd see Jaime Reyes and Skeets, and added, "And you might even see Ted Kord."
Besides, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold have already been cast.

Also, there is a Blue Beetle TV series in the works. Jaime is gonna be EVERYWHERE.

Covar

Covar

Also, there is a Blue Beetle TV series in the works. Jaime is gonna be EVERYWHERE.
Except the comics, because he's dead.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Except the comics, because he's dead.
We're only assuming that at this point. It's entirely likely it's a fake out... especially considering it would be a very stupid move to kill him off at the height of his popularity.

Covar

Covar

idk, DC seems to be on a big "lets murder the minorities" kick. At least Jamie didn't windup in a matchbox because of bad writing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

idk, DC seems to be on a big "lets murder the minorities" kick. At least Jamie didn't windup in a matchbox because of bad writing.
Didn't all of this happen in one of the side universes anyway? I'm pretty sure Powergirl isn't part of the main DC universe anymore, due to one of the Crisis events, and she was involved in some of the setup for this.

Norris

Norris

Didn't all of this happen in one of the side universes anyway? I'm pretty sure Powergirl isn't part of the main DC universe anymore, due to one of the Crisis events, and she was involved in some of the setup for this.
Power Girl is still is active in the JSA All-Stars and very much in the mainstream DCU. She's just explicitly the last survivor of an alternate reality where she was Superman's cousin as opposed to her pre-crisis origins.

@Covar, I really don't think that Jaimie is actually/will be staying dead. There are five issues left in the series (the last of which is double sized), that is a lot of story left to tell.

I agree that Ryan Choi's death was poorly written and pointless. That said...his girlfriend Giganta got some sweet ass revenge on Dwarfstar (who hired the team that killed him, for those not in the know) in the pages of Secret Six. Courtesy of Gail Simone, who wrote the good half of the All New Atom and created Dwarfstar.

On the topic of the show...yeah. I will watch it. I will watch every episode that airs. I'm not saying I will like it though. Hell, the evidence at hand seems to suggest I will hate it. I wish I could get my hands on the leaked script that is supposedly floating around the web so I could I see for myself.

@Li3n

@Li3n

No. I just like the show. It's a little goofy, with lots of plot-holes and implausibility, but I actually like the characters.
For ten years...no way liking the characters is enough for that long.

Damn you Geoff Johns for making me watch another episode like last time...

I wish I could get my hands on the leaked script that is supposedly floating around the web so I could I see for myself.
Just google it, there a dozens of articles about it... and it sounds awful.

Norris

Norris

I don't want to read other people's take on it. I want to read it for myself. :p

And Smallville got pretty decent when they added Green Arrow to the cast. I'd say its crowning achievement came last season when it gave the Justice Society a TV movie/two part episode, but I love the JSA.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And Smallville got pretty decent when they added Green Arrow to the cast.
No, not really...good replacement for Lex though (not as a villain, as a character)...

I'd say its crowning achievement came last season when it gave the Justice Society a TV movie/two part episode, but I love the JSA.
JOHNSSSSSSSSSSS...........

Norris

Norris

No, not really...good replacement for Lex though (not as a villain, as a character)...
That's, like, your opinion, man. And the David Bloom/Doomsaday arc wasn't so much good I admit, but season nine's Major Zod was pretty good. Season ten has been generally good, and the comic book references have been dialed up to 11. Where the hell else were we gonna get the Suicide Squad in live action I ask you?

JOHNSSSSSSSSSSS...........
Indeed. Man needs (too late now, obviously) to write more than one episode a season.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The worst offense of Smallville, IMO, was making the Ace O' Clubs a fancy nightclub in a high-rise. The Ace O' Clubs is a dive bar in Suicide Slum!

Covar

Covar

Power Girl is still is active in the JSA All-Stars and very much in the mainstream DCU. She's just explicitly the last survivor of an alternate reality where she was Superman's cousin as opposed to her pre-crisis origins.

@Covar, I really don't think that Jaimie is actually/will be staying dead. There are five issues left in the series (the last of which is double sized), that is a lot of story left to tell.

I agree that Ryan Choi's death was poorly written and pointless. That said...his girlfriend Giganta got some sweet ass revenge on Dwarfstar (who hired the team that killed him, for those not in the know) in the pages of Secret Six. Courtesy of Gail Simone, who wrote the good half of the All New Atom and created Dwarfstar.

On the topic of the show...yeah. I will watch it. I will watch every episode that airs. I'm not saying I will like it though. Hell, the evidence at hand seems to suggest I will hate it. I wish I could get my hands on the leaked script that is supposedly floating around the web so I could I see for myself.
I don't think he's dead either, although I have overestimated the intelligence of DC before.

I'm also glad Simone got to do something involving his death, shame it was all but ignored by the rest of the company.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, casting Adrianne Palicki is a good move.
Nope. Erica Cerra should have been cast as Wonder Woman.

@Li3n

@Li3n

That's, like, your opinion, man. ... Season ten has been generally good, and the comic book references have been dialed up to 11. Where the hell else were we gonna get the Suicide Squad in live action I ask you?
See, it's not my opinion... you don't watch it because it's any good, it's because there's nothing else (and it's not as bad as it could be).

Problem is that as long as people keep watching they'll never make a better one because they'll think that's what we want.

Norris

Norris

And if people don't watch it, they'd get the message that people aren't into super hero TV shows. Damned if one does, damned if one doesn't.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And if people don't watch it, they'd get the message that people aren't into super hero TV shows. Damned if one does, damned if one doesn't.
That's why you watch the first 2-3 seasons and then stop before it gets ridiculous...

Covar

Covar

Since when has Smallville been a super-hero show?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Since 2001.

Norris

Norris

Well, the show was about Clark Kent using his powers to fight evil starting with the pilot. Green Arrow showed up as a costumed hero in season five (joining the cast in season eight), and brought a costumed Justice League with him. Clark took up a costume as of season nine. Season eight brought in a team of super villains as the Injustice League and season ten gives us the Suicide Squad.

I know there was some snark in there, but once Green Arrow and the League have been a recurring presence since season six, and a constant presence since season eight. So at the very least, it has been about super heroes since season six.

That's why you watch the first 2-3 seasons and then stop before it gets ridiculous...
Or watch the last two to three seasons, where the inspiration is drawn more from the comics than Dawson's Creek. :p

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, the show was about Clark Kent using his powers to fight evil starting with the pilot. Green Arrow showed up as a costumed hero in season five (joining the cast in season eight), and brought a costumed Justice League with him. Clark took up a costume as of season nine. Season eight brought in a team of super villains as the Injustice League and season ten gives us the Suicide Squad.

I know there was some snark in there, but once Green Arrow and the League have been a recurring presence since season six, and a constant presence since season eight. So at the very least, it has been about super heroes since season six.
And Twilight is about vampires vs werewolves, right...

Or watch the last two to three seasons, where the inspiration is drawn more from the comics than Dawson's Creek. :p
90210 with superpowers and more characters from the comics is still pretty crappy...getting away from the kryptonite freak of the week thing and high school only helped it so much.

Tress

Tress

90210 with superpowers and more characters from the comics is still pretty crappy...getting away from the kryptonite freak of the week thing and high school only helped it so much.
I can't tell if you're trying to be funny and failing, or just being obnoxious. Let it go. People like something you don't, it doesn't require a snarky response every time someone explains why they like the show.

Jiarn

I'm not sure he's actually watched past seasons 4-6.

Norris

Norris

Twilight is about what Stephanie Meyer's weird ass, sexually repressed, incredibly Mormon view of Vampires and Werewolves are. But it is, like it or not, a romance story about vampires and werewolves. They're in it, and they are central characters. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Smallville has costumed super heroes fighting costumed villains, alien invasions, and evil gods. It is a super hero show. Lois and Clark may be in a relationship, but she spends most of her screen time helping...you guessed it, the Justice League. Can you seriously argue that this

is not from a show about super heroes?

EXPLANATION: This still is from a funeral scene, hence the somberness and presence of Lois. That said, we still have three costumed Leaguers and the character they are mourning died saving Lois from falling out of an exploding building after battling Slade Wilson hand to hand. One of the best action scenes in this show.

Or how about this one?

I see a costumed super hero. Who played a major role in four episodes (admittedly, he was only costumed in three out of the four, but still). I vote with my eye balls and my wallet to say "more of this".

90210? I'd place it closer to BTVS since Lex died. Seasonal big bads, romance finding a better balance with the action, bigger threats, and a nice focus on the allies in the fight. Now, it is nowhere near the level of quality BTVS had at its height, but its pretty far from "90210 with super powers".

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

BTVS had the worst makeup effects I've ever seen on a sci-fi tv show (I could never get passed that craptastic green-faced person.) It was just another insipid show for teeny-boppers.

Norris

Norris

BTVS had the worst makeup effects I've ever seen on a sci-fi tv show (I could never get passed that craptastic green-faced person.) It was just another insipid show for teeny-boppers.
So Buffy sucked because you couldn't get into the make-up effects on one of the characters in the spin off? Ok. Makes sense. Sure.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So Buffy sucked because you couldn't get into the make-up effects on one of the characters in the spin off? Ok. Makes sense. Sure.
I get encouraged to watch some of the Buffyverse, I turn the show on, it is some angsty teen types, then cut to a scene of some dude with green face paint and red contacts... channel gets turned.

Tress

Tress

... because snap judgments are SUPER accurate!

Norris

Norris

I get encouraged to watch some of the Buffyverse, I turn the show on, it is some angsty teen types, then cut to a scene of some dude with green face paint and red contacts... channel gets turned.
So you're judging 12 seasons of content on what, ten minutes?

And I really don't think that the make up effects on Lorne there are any worse than those of Chell or Lennier here.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is the exact same type of snap decisions being posted here about Smallville.

TNG was actually a good show.

Norris

Norris

It is the exact same type of snap decisions being posted here about Smallville.

TNG was actually a good show.
And a lot of people think Voyager sucked. Hence why I posted a character from that show.

Calleja

Calleja

I watch Smallville. I've watched every single episode since I heard the show was going to premiere way back when I was 16, and was excited as hell at the idea.

It went south pretty fast, I don't think I really ever LOVED the show even though it had some great moments, but it was obvious from the get go we weren't getting a "Superman origin story in a modern setting" more than "Dawson's Creek with a super-powered freak of the week". The freak of the week formula went on for WAY, WAY too long. I started actually disliking the show around the time that whole "ancient cave paintings mirror the future of Lex/Clark with supernatural legend-being-things", but a combination of my love for the Superman mythos and my OCD made me keep watching.

It still had some shining moments of awesome, the episode where Jonathan dies comes to mind as a great one. But the show was already sucking. Then... Doomsday came. And they turned him into a werewolf thing. That's when I started HATING the show, but by now the previously mentioned reasons PLUS the fact I had spent years and years following these characters made me keep watching. The whole Tess character makes me want to punch my monitor.

Then they switched up the dynamic and Lois and Clark began working together at the Daily Planet and it got pretty enjoyable there for a while... but I still cheered.. literally, I even tweeted about it.. when I clicked play on the Season 10 premiere and was greeted with "AND NOW, THE FINAL SEASON OF SMALLVILLE".

I have to force myself to watch every new episode... when I know there's a new one waiting for me I feel like it's a chore, an annoying chore. But I've spent TEN FUCKING YEARS watching these morons, and I sure as hell going to stick it out and see how it ends. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WHILE I DO IT!

Yes, I know... it does suck to be like me. This is why I'm VERY, VERY careful on what shows I start watching... I'm the same with books, no matter how god awful the drivel may be, I can NOT put down an unfinished book.

Philosopher B.

Lorne is literally the best, most consistent character in the Buffyverse. His presence is basically the only thing that kept me from strangling myself during season 4 of Angel.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Lorne is literally the best, most consistent character in the Buffyverse. His presence is basically the only thing that kept me from strangling myself during season 4 of Angel.
Yep... unfortunately the actor died a year or so back, and they wrote him out of the comics because of it. Shame... Lorne was my favorite character.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Twilight is about what Stephanie Meyer's weird ass, sexually repressed, incredibly Mormon view of Vampires and Werewolves are. But it is, like it or not, a romance story about vampires and werewolves. They're in it, and they are central characters. I'm not sure what you're getting at.
No, because she had very little knowledge about vampires or werewolves when she started writing and she admitted it. The supernatural stuff is just flavour added to two guys fighting over a girl...

Smallville has costumed super heroes fighting costumed villains, alien invasions, and evil gods. It is a super hero show. Lois and Clark may be in a relationship, but she spends most of her screen time helping...you guessed it, the Justice League.
Can you seriously argue that this

is not from a show about super heroes?

EXPLANATION: This still is from a funeral scene, hence the somberness and presence of Lois. That said, we still have three costumed Leaguers and the character they are mourning died saving Lois from falling out of an exploding building after battling Slade Wilson hand to hand. One of the best action scenes in this show.
Oh c'mon, a few good episodes/scenes (cancelation was the best thing to happen to it it seems, Darseid as evil ghost crows aside) don't excuse years of lameness...
It's still going for the teen drama crowd...

Or how about this one?

I see a costumed super hero. Who played a major role in four episodes (admittedly, he was only costumed in three out of the four, but still). I vote with my eye balls and my wallet to say "more of this".
Yeah, that was a pretty awesome scene... and it lasted way too little... hardly enough to justify waiting for years for it.

Still, i'll watch the Johns episodes, even if half of the time it will be painful to watch...

90210? I'd place it closer to BTVS since Lex died. Seasonal big bads, romance finding a better balance with the action, bigger threats, and a nice focus on the allies in the fight. Now, it is nowhere near the level of quality BTVS had at its height, but its pretty far from "90210 with super powers".
Ok, i admit that my knowledge of 90210 isn't very good, but Buffy was at least a good geek fest (it did go downhill after they left high school, but never as low as Smallville)

I'm not sure he's actually watched past seasons 4-6.
Well i've stopped watching regularly since about a bit before the kryptonian clones showed up... but i did catch some episodes now and then, and my brother keeps watching it because he still has too much free time as he's still in school...

The extra fan service with the other heroes is nice, but from what i saw the show is still the same otherwise... season big bad replacing krypto freak of the week or not.
Added at: 08:17
Let it go. People like something you don't, it doesn't require a snarky response every time someone explains why they like the show.
When their reasons are weak i have a moral duty to respond in a snarky way... i'm pretty sure that's in the Bible somewhere. :p

Covar

Covar

It still had some shining moments of awesome, the episode where Jonathan dies comes to mind as a great one.
Really? That was the episode that made me stop watching. I was already getting pretty annoyed with Clark's stupidity. Then he go and gets Jonathan killed.

Norris

Norris

So, I can't say how, but I got my hands on a PDF of the script. I trust the hell out of the source, and the script screams "LEGIT!" from page one. I'ma a read it and get back to y'all. If you want it......

Null

Null

The casting seems alright, but David E. Kelley doing a superhero show? No fucking way. David E. Kelley makes talky dramas revolving around a cast of what initially seem to be endearingly quirky misfits, but are actually loathsome neurotic self-sabotaging assholes. I mean, in a way, it'd actually be more appropriate for an adaptation of Adam Warren's Empowered, but not Wonder Woman.

Espy

Espy

So, I can't say how, but I got my hands on a PDF of the script. I trust the hell out of the source, and the script screams "LEGIT!" from page one. I'ma a read it and get back to y'all. If you want it......
Please do.

Norris

Norris

The casting seems alright, but David E. Kelley doing a superhero show? No fucking way. David E. Kelley makes talky dramas revolving around a cast of what initially seem to be endearingly quirky misfits, but are actually loathsome neurotic self-sabotaging assholes.
Oh god, are you close to what this is. Let's start with

The Good:
  • It opens on a pretty energetic foot chase scene that gives the viewer an immediate understanding of Wonder Woman's powers. They're right in line with the Bronze Age, Lynda Carter power levels.
  • The episode reaches its big climax in a pretty nice action scene, Diana VS 20 super soldier prototypes. Could be executed well.
  • Her origin story is played nice and close to the comics. Amazon, raised on Paradise Island, Steve Trevor crashes on the island, she falls in love with him, and escorts him back to man's world where she chooses to stay.
  • Wonder Woman is an accomplished pilot. If she can't fly under her own power, this is a must.
The Bad
  • Wonder Woman runs a corporation based around merchandising herself to fund her war on crime. Which is really weird, because that has literally never been a part of the character's story.
  • On that note, there is a whole scene where Wonder Woman complains to a board meeting about the breast size of her action figure. Comments that it is hurtful when people see her in person and comment that they expected her boobs to be bigger.
  • She gets hauled in front of congress at one point and delivers a scathing rebuke to the sub-committee (who is investigating whether or not she is a de-facto agent of the LAPD and therefore subject to following the constitution in the apprehension of suspects) about them being in the pocket of big pharma (which, naturally, they are) and only doing this because the villain of the price asked them to. She goes on a long rant about dangerous pharmaceuticals, how crappily the industry is regulated, how little congress cares, and how she's fighting for the people. Naturally, the crowd loves it and applauds her like mad.
  • Immediately after this, she coordinates with the LAPD to raid a lab run by the villain that they couldn't get a warrant for. The police rush to the scene just a few moments behind her so that they can show up swiftly after she crashes her plane into the building, which makes it a crime scene. Basically, she does the very thing that she ranted at congress for accusing her of doing.
  • Wonder Woman feels completely disconnected from society. She "lives with people, not among them". Mind you, in the comics, she literally loves everyone and every living thing. Seriously, during Blackest Night, Black Lantern zombies hunting for strong emotion only saw her as bright violet. Even when she was fighting Max Lord, a dude who nearly ruined her life. I'm not asking for one-to-one adaptation here, but come on. At least "get" the character.
  • Swearing. The script uses "shit" at least once and "fuck" at least three times. This is TV pilot for NBC. The FCC has relaxed regulations a little recently, but not that much.
The Highly Questionable
  • Bizarre double identity. She has a second persona (aside from the very public Wonder Woman/Diana Themiscyra) as Diana Prince, a mousey employee of Themiscrya Industries. Literally all we see of this is her going to an unassuming, middle class apartment and watching TV before bed, then driving back to work the next morning to change back into her Wonder Woman persona in that apartment. It is completely pointless, but could be utilized later.
  • Diana and her best friend/publicist Myndi Mayer have a pajama party in Diana's penthouse. They eat ice cream and watch a Katy Perry video where Katy dressed as Wonder Woman. They giggle like schoolgirls here. Now, I know the comic book Wonder Woman isn't above indulging in a little ice cream with a close friend after a hard day, but this is a bit much.
  • Wonder Woman goes to bed and cries in the fetal position because she found out Steve Trevor got married in the three years since they broke up. Again, I don't begrudge the intention of the scene - shows Wonder Woman as being vulnerable, etc. It is the way it is carried out. The comics give a definite guideline here, considering Steve ends up married to Wonder Woman's best friend after they break up there. I highly doubt that they handled it that way.
So yeah. Decent concept, but horrible execution IMO. One thing that would make it better? Change it to a Power Girl script. I'm serious. Disconnected from the world around her, head of a successful corporation, angry tempered, unlucky in love, double identity between the super hero and a normal person...everything about the basics of this concept screams "POWER GIRL!" at me. Hell, it would even make the boob size scene a funny comic book reference rather than...weird. It wouldn't fix everything, but it would help.

Don't believe me? Read the script yourself. I'll help you find it.

Espy

Espy

That sounds terrible.

Norris

Norris

That sounds terrible.
Yeah. See, the first...half or so is ok. Not great, but OK. Things get FUBAR'ed when she goes before congress. It goes downhill really fast after that.

What is weird to me is how little Hollywood seems to understand the character. Say what you will about the various adaptations Superman and Batman get, but at least the people behind them seem to understand who the characters are. Even the crappy scripts batted around based on them at least get that. Wonder Woman? No such luck. I read an unused movie script for WW a few weeks back. Made her a secret agent, focused on Donna Troy (who was Diana and Steve Trevor's daughter), had the weird plot point of Donna only getting her powers when Diana is near death, made Dr. Psycho (a psychopathic dwarf telepath) into a standard corrupt corporate exec, and was just plain strange. While it hasn't been leaked anywhere I can find, Joss Whedon's ideas sound (uncharacteristically) equally terrible. It's not like this is hard damn it! The 1970's show nailed it when it came to who Wonder Woman is, why she does what she does, etc. Why does Hollywood insist on making it difficult?

It really pisses me off because there are a fuckton of female super heroes from whom good movies or TV shows could be made. The problem is, they're all b-list (at best) and therefore someone must first prove that people will watch something starring a female superhero. Wonder Woman is the natural candidate, but Warner Bros. can't seem to find the character with two hands, a flashlight, a map, and a god damned team of sherpas.

EDIT: Rereading "The Bad", there is one thing I don't think I made clear enough. This is what happens from the congress scene through the climax:
  1. Congress brings in Wonder Woman to testify about her role with the LAPD, under accusation that the police are using her to circumvent the constitutional rights of suspects.
  2. Wonder Woman chews out congress about being in the pocket of big pharma, gets lots of applause and returns to LA.
  3. Wonder Woman gets a call from the LAPD stating they were denied a warrant to search the lab where they believe that Cale Pharmaceuticals is doing some illegal experimentation.
  4. Wonder Woman coordinates with the LAPD to crash one of her personal gets into the side of the building, thus turning it into a crime scene and circumventing the need to have a warrant.
  5. This plan works and the villain is defeated, Wonder Woman is hailed as a hero.
Seriously. The only people who question or criticize Wonder Woman's actions are protrayed as being wrong and working for the villain. It's not cool.

Null

Null

That sounds completely wretched.

Jiarn

Who's shocked? I mean really?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I haven't seen any angry tweets from Linkara about the script, so I figured he hasn't heard about it yet. So I tweeted him a link to Norris's criticisms. Wonder Woman is one of his favorite characters. It should be fun to see the fireworks when he sees how they're handling her character.

Norris

Norris

I haven't seen any angry tweets from Linkara about the script, so I figured he hasn't heard about it yet. So I tweeted him a link to Norris's criticisms. Wonder Woman is one of his favorite characters. It should be fun to see the fireworks when he sees how they're handling her character.
Linkara said in his countdown of things he'd never review that he doesn't care too much about other media adaptations. He likes some of them, dislikes others, not interested in quite a few, etc. I doubt he'll care...but if he is reading this, @CCharlesWalker can "help" you find a pdf. Because he's me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Linkara said in his countdown of things he'd never review that he doesn't care too much about other media adaptations. He likes some of them, dislikes others, not interested in quite a few, etc. I doubt he'll care...but if he is reading this, @CCharlesWalker can "help" you find a pdf. Because he's me.
Ah, I'd forgotten about that. I'd figured that the unofficial nature would keep him from commenting more than it being television, but now that you mention it I don't think he even tweets much about movies and TV.

Espy

Espy

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48915
Costume is up.
wwap.jpg

Um... the good news is it doesn't look all shiny and cheap like something you would find at a costume shop for halloween.
Wait. No, take out "doesn't" and change that to "does" and take out "good" and replace that with "bad". Thats what I meant.

It's not the worst TV superhero costume I've ever seen but... eeeeeh.

Norris

Norris

Vis-a-vis, the basic design? Pretty damned good. I'd make the the boots red myself, maybe give her a choker or necklace of some kind, but it is pretty much the image I'd had in my head while reading the thing. Based on the current comics design, which I actually prefer over the classic for adaptation purposes.

Vis-a-vis the costume itself? Fuck me sideways, that looks like something you'd buy at Target for fifty bucks. I mean, strictly speaking, it looks pretty on par with stuff like MANTIS or Dean Cain's Superman. However, those shows are a decade or more old and this is unequivocally not on par with The Cape or Smallville..

Her boobs looks awesome though.

Espy

Espy

The basic design is fine, I prefer the pants over the older undies look, but yeah, it just looks cheap. And sorry man, her boobs have that "push up the small boobs to try to make them look big but all you really get is a huge gap between them like a bad boob job".
But we can agree to disagree :p

Her hair however looks amazing.

linglingface

linglingface

I was just coming to post this! XD
Yeah, this costume is shit. An awesome WW cosplayer should donate a costume to the show. Seriously, she looks ready to star in a porno.

Espy

Espy

I was just coming to post this! XD
Yeah, this costume is shit. An awesome WW cosplayer should donate a costume to the show. Seriously, she looks ready to star in a porno.
Yo, dawg, you nailed it. :)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Egads, that costume looks awful. Could they really not afford actual spandex for her pants?

Why don't they just take Xena's old costume and paint it appropriately? That would be better.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cosplayer Megan VanBurkleo had a very astute comment on the new costume:
To anyone making the "WW wore less in the past!" argument, including @ronmarz: You can like her new costume, but there is NO denying that something can look trashy without showing an excess of skin. Cocktail dress on the left has a corset top and is shorter, but is infinitely classier than the one on the right. /rant :p http://yfrog.com/h2apinqj
apinq.jpg

Meanwhile, webcomic artist Hawk (of Applegeeks) thinks the costume is missing something:
260014148.jpg

Added at: 19:38
I'd make the the boots red myself,
The boots look much better red: http://imgur.com/Xe4oQ (photoshop by some Linkara fan)

linglingface

linglingface

I think what irks me the most are the comments from horny teenage boys saying, "YES PLEASE", "SEXY", and "HOT!!!"
The story itself is shit and I'm not even a big WW fan. If this stays on for more than half a season and does better than Firefly, I'm going to cry.
(No offense to any horny teenage boys that may be here.)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hawk made the costume look passable. Original is on the left, his color tweaks are on the right. I'd still prefer less corseting in the top, but darkening the colors and taking away some of the shine really helps a lot.

Tress

Tress

Are we sure they aren't trying to market this to horny teenage boys, which would therefore make them quite happy with the results?

Null

Null

....Why does she have an eagle instead of a "WW"? I mean, there is literally nothing about that costume that says "Wonder Woman" more than it says "Eagle Tits".

And the boots definitely look better red.

So, they're basically getting nothing about the character right.

Covar

Covar

Wonder Woman has had an eagle since about 1986. That's not surprising.

Still trying to figure out why the boots aren't red.

Costume looking cheesy; eh, it's a super hero costume, they look cheesy. Dean Cain's costume looked cheap, but guess what? It was a very accurate rendition of Superman's costume.

Would you rather her spend the entire series in a red flannel shirt?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Seriously... TV execs need to understand that bright colors only work in the comics because it's a flat medium. Those same colors don't always translate well to the real world and we all understand that the costumes sometimes need minor alterations to look right. Always, ALWAYS use matte, not shiny.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe it's a plot to get more people watching the Cape to get their superhero fix.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Maybe it's a plot to get more people watching the Cape to get their superhero fix.
Is that still on the air? I literally watched 5 minutes of it before knowing it was crap.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Is that still on the air? I literally watched 5 minutes of it before knowing it was crap.
I watched the entire two-hour premier. I wish I hadn't, maybe I'm just a masochist like that.

linglingface

linglingface

Seriously... TV execs need to understand that bright colors only work in the comics because it's a flat medium. Those same colors don't always translate well to the real world and we all understand that the costumes sometimes need minor alterations to look right. Always, ALWAYS use matte, not shiny.
I know most cosplayers choose more realistic than 100% accurate. TV execs definitely need to learn this!

Norris

Norris

Just for reference, here is Smallville's Erica Durance in a costume that serves as a double shout out to Wonder Woman and Xena.

It is a far better Wonder Woman costume than NBC's actual Wonder Woman costume, IMO.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's great. And it didn't need breasts ready to pop loose to accomplish itself.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You say that like it is a bad thing.

Overflight

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Nothing wrong with blue.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Nothing wrong with blue.
When did Wonder Woman become a speed skater?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Could be worse...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Javelin toss? I thought we were doing winter olympics!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have only one thing to add to the Lynda Carter Swimsuit Edition Wonder Woman

MOOSE-KNUCKLE

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nerd rage wins again! The costume has, apparently, been changed. No more shiny pants and the boots are now red.

Tress

Tress

Better, but not quite there IMO.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'll watch, as long as she runs in slow motion...

Man I miss Baywatch.

linglingface

linglingface

I like that the boots are red. I like that the pants are not shiny.
BUT the pants look even cheaper now. How in the world did they manage to do that?? I wish the top wasn't so shiny. I wish the armor didn't look so rubbery. And her top is a bit small for her... :p And I'm slightly annoyed that the stripe on her boot is not white.
At least they didn't pick Megan Fox for the role. For that, I am a little happy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Corset still looks awful, but it's better.

MindDetective

MindDetective

She looks like a crazy person running down the street of a big city. Super Heroes ain't exactly sane.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wonder Woman has had an eagle since about 1986. That's not surprising.
Ahem:

Espy

Espy

She looks like a crazy person running down the street of a big city. Super Heroes ain't exactly sane.
lol, thats exactly what I was thinking.

linglingface

linglingface

You want crazy person? I'll give you crazy person:

Also, that's the stunt double.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Her costume fits better.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Looks better, but I feel like she needs a choker or something. She's naked from the nipple up.

Null

Null

It's just such a cheap looking costume.

Espy

Espy

It's just such a cheap looking costume.
Right? Whats up with that?

figmentPez

figmentPez

At least they didn't pick Megan Fox for the role. For that, I am a little happy.
I still think Erica Cerra should have been Wonder Woman.

Norris

Norris

Wow. I'ma just tell y'all right now...that action sequence they're filming in those pics? It is not very good, at least in the script.

Covar

Covar

I said about. 40 years or so is about, right? :oops:

Sorry I know there was a switch in her top from the WW to the Eagle to a merger of the two, but I was mistaken on the dates. Doing some research it looks like the WW chest plate started sometime in the late 70s early 80s.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well it had to because between the Golden and Silver Ages she didn't have a costume or superpowers...

Here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26963

linglingface

linglingface

@Li3n

@Li3n

And Smallville is ending...

Now someone just need to make an actual good superhero show already.

WTH: "And then there was all the online blow back about the costume – which seemed to de-emphasize the patriotism and play up the comic’s Greek mythology."

How was that polyester nightmare thing more greek myth?!

Null

Null

I don't think it was mythic, I think it was the fact that she looked like a prostitute trolling for customers at Comic-Con.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

And Smallville is ending...

Now someone just need to make an actual good superhero show already.

WTH: "And then there was all the online blow back about the costume – which seemed to de-emphasize the patriotism and play up the comic’s Greek mythology."

How was that polyester nightmare thing more greek myth?!
Greek Gods reaaaaaaaaaaally dug vinyl.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I, for one, was looking forward to that costume.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh hey, what's this?

Shame it's only 150 seconds long, I guess.

--Patrick