Messing with the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
Liking it. I'm messing with Adobe Ideas, Procreate, Artrage, and Artstudio. I do need a pen tip stylus, though. The round tip ones are kinda tricky.

It's completely new to me, but the programs work well, with little to no lag. It's just going to take some getting used to.

Zappit

Staff member
Picked up a Wacom Bamboo, and a protector sheet today. Still round tipped, but smaller and more manageable. Even if I attempt to use a sharper tipped stylus - might give the one that came with my 3DS a try - I can't scratch it.

Zappit

Staff member
New attempt.

Lettering got a tad messed up, I guess. Still trying to figure out the best way/resolution to save this stuff, and how to actually change those things.

Discovered some things about Strip Design. Looks like putting a book together will be pretty dang easy, but it seems like it would be better to produce the pictures individually, and insert them one at a time into the pages. A full image gets cropped to shit, or stretched out. That app also lets you install fonts, which seemed pretty impossible after some previous research. No jailbreak img this iPad!

The big problem will be to set these pages up for web comics. I can mail them to myself as pdfs, which should allow me to size it without losing quality...I think. Course, with modern screens having higher resolutions, a few extra pixels probably won't hurt. It will be nice to actually create and immediately format comics for the iPad. Still a lot to research, especially if I want to offer an ebook for PCs as well.

Isn't the 3DS resistive? Its stylus won't work with the iPad.
You are correct, a DS stylus won't do anything with an iPad or iPhone but scratch the glass. Also, as previously mentioned, it doesn't have a wide enough detection radius to work on something that only touches at one small point.

The extremely expensive stylus that was linked earlier doesn't technically have a point tip either, it's got a conductive pad at the tip that extrapolates things to the tip. Apple has stated multiple times that they don't intend to support pinpoint styluses because the devices are intended to be used with a finger, wich has a wider diameter of contact.

The big problem will be to set these pages up for web comics. I can mail them to myself as pdfs, which should allow me to size it without losing quality...I think.
Check to see if the app allows you to export your finished documents via the apps page in iTunes. Many apps allow direct file exchange iPad <-> computer this way.

has stated multiple times that they don't intend to support pinpoint styluses because the devices are intended to be used with a finger, wich has a wider diameter of contact.
Correct. For the most part, detail work always means zooming in, cleaning up at high detail, then zooming back out again rather than just setting your tip size to "extremely small."

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Check to see if the app allows you to export your finished documents via the apps page in iTunes. Many apps allow direct file exchange iPad <-> computer this way.
I tried that, but I can't find a pictures folder in iTunes. I sent an image to iTunes, but I can't figure out how to retrieve it. I do think I've discovered why the pic I posted looked so bad - I was working on Retina resolution - so I toned back to a regular iPad resolution.

Bringing the PDF into Photoshop doesn't seem to work, either. The text got mucked up something fierce, and it's a font that I do have on my computer.

Edit - Huh. On my PC, the pic actually doesn't look blurry. The resolution looks fine. Maybe this whole "do a webcomic via the iPad" thing might work out after all.

Just as an example, here's one of my iPad drawings using ArtStudio

mojo.JPG

My lackluster art skills aside, you can do some good stuff with it.

Zappit

Staff member
That's the program I'm currently messing with - still haven't found any kind of straight line tool. Resolution issues have been figured out. Since I can save the files as PNGs, I can just export them to my PC if need be. However, I'm thinking I can do web comic work entirely on the iPad itself.

Quick question. Is there any kind of way to separate images into different folders or albums? I can create a second album for my art, but it only adds a copy to the new album. If I try to delete from the camera roll to save space, it deletes the image across all the albums! Any tricks to avoid that clutter?

If I try to delete from the camera roll to save space, it deletes the image across all the albums!
This is functioning as intended. All the pictures you take, create, or save from the web end up in the Camera Roll. The albums are just an organizational tool so that you can browse specific subsets of your pictures. These album pictures take up no additional space on your iPad, they exist sort of like collections of aliases to the original content.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member

Maybe I should do Geek Life digitally?

Didn't know that about the photo albums - at least it's not eating up extra space.

Status
Not open for further replies.