Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

Ok so my laptop came in the mail today

Dell
2.0 ghz Dual Core Intel
4 GB DDR2
250 GB HDD
Intergrated Graphics (enough for WoW so thats good)
Windows Vista Home Basic SP1

now, when I unplug my cat5 from my desktop and into the laptop, the laptop can't connect to the internet. It never properly identifies the network. Yet if I unplug it and plug the cat5 back into my PC, connection is running top notch.

I've made 0 changes to the laptop, aside from turning off UAC and setting the theme to Windows Classic.

I've attempted resetting my cable modem, no go. I've attempted releasing/renewing the ip in ipconfig, same thing. I've made sure IPv6 was disabled and it was using IPv4, same thing.

Really wanna get this working so I can get started on doing windows updates/installing games etc

Call your cable company and tell them you added a new computer to your home. They will probably need to add the MAC Address of the new computer to their list of computers allowed to use the connection.

--Patrick

Check on their Website first to see if they have a FAQ about the issue. See if they charge any "service fees" for registering a second computer. Comcast tried to do that to me years ago.

If they do, and I'm assuming you're keeping the desktop, you may be better off buying a broadband or wireless broadband router, cloning your desktop's MAC addy, and then having your laptop connect through the router.

R

Rubicon

TeKeo said:
Check on their Website first to see if they have a FAQ about the issue. See if they charge any "service fees" for registering a second computer. Comcast tried to do that to me years ago.

If they do, and I'm assuming you're keeping the desktop, you may be better off buying a broadband or wireless broadband router, cloning your desktop's MAC addy, and then having your laptop connect through the router.
Yea I just bought a wireless router. I took it to best buy cause i was frankly stumped as hell, even though my desktop has Vista I never had to troubleshoot networking issues with thus far. Gonna try hooking up the router after I eat some dinner, been fiddling with the laptop all day need a break.

Do you need to perform the "set up a connection or network" under the network and sharing center?

Status
Not open for further replies.