John Chang is a really good con artist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Le Quack

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aos0hnwiHt8:1yyrnrzp][/youtube:1yyrnrzp]

This guy is hella cool. I wish I could do that shit. I think he was on the discovery science channel not too long ago. Did anyone else see this?

Necronic

Staff member
I'm a serious follower of pseudoscience trends (as a skeptic), and am always very very interested in them. Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World is one of my favorite books. That said, there's nothing in this video to say that he is a con artist, aside from making himself untestable in the end. I have to be honest, I am a bit intrigued by this.

C

cvgurau

It's obvious bullshit, but it's interesting bullshit. It gets my imagination going.

L

Le Quack

Oh, I know. I just said that because some people would most definitely say "obvious con" so I thought I'd throw it on.

I think this guy definitely have useful skills that could be learned. Even if the skills were how to trick people into buying a charade.

Neurolinguistic programming is awesome. Derren Brown is one of my favorites, especially since he doesn't claim to have magic powers.

I've been stuck with one acupuncture needle in a chi gate that was supposed to help my asthma. Honestly I don't think that it really helped my asthma at all.

But one thing that I'll always remember is these shocks of energy or some sort of weird sensation that happened even when the guy didn't even touch the needle. There's definately something there maybe it isn't chi or healing energy but I'm not going to write it off easily.

C

Chibibar

It could be some form of bio electricity. I mean our body does produce some electricity doesn't it? so maybe this guy is able to harness that and project that electricity unto others. (even if the meters didn't register but I figure they didn't know what to measure at the time)

our bodies produce all kinds of energy, from electromagnetic fields to actual light. Yes, we glow softly.

However, some of the tricks I saw on this video, I've seen before, such as "spirits" in the kris making it move.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frQqTSkIrzk:3lb6wbtj][/youtube:3lb6wbtj]

This is a random youtube video, but I used to do this same trick myself in high school. Balance a long object such a pencil, or a kris, on it's balance point, and it's very easy to make it move with an undetectable puff of breath.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc:3lb6wbtj][/youtube:3lb6wbtj]

So, if this one thing is likely a trick, it paints a shadow across all of the other effects shown in the video, I think.

L

Le Quack

I only posted the video on this guy because discovery science is where I saw him.

It seemed to give him more legitimacy.

Isn't that the "appealing to authority" fallacy or something like that?

Discovery Science = Discovery Pseudoscience, more often than not. Don't get me wrong, I love the channel, but they run whatever will get eyes on, not rigorously tested science.

L

Le Quack

My bad, I thought discovery science would have been about real science.

Le Quack said:
My bad, I thought discovery science would have been about real science.
Without sarcasm: you'd think, wouldn't you? But my god, the crap I've seen on there, as well as the Pseudohistory Channel, like all those "reasons the Bible is real!" shows with historical reenactments (a term that sends shivers down my spine). Not to say they're all awful -- like I said, I love the channel -- but I rarely buy this kind of stuff they show on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.