infection: Dawn of the Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Night of the Living Dead is still my favorite zombie movie of all time. It is terrifying and brilliant.
My top five, all time, favorite zombie movies are as follows:
1) Night of the Living Dead
2) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3) Dawn of the Dead (The original)
4) 28 Days Later
5) Dead Alive
and the HONORABLE MENTION goes to: Shaun of the Dead
I would place Dawn of the Dead above Night, otherwise I agree with this list. And the honorable mention. I might even place it on the actual list above Dead Alive.[/QUOTE]

See, to me, Night is the quintessential Zombie HORROR film. Dawn is great, don't get me wrong, but it's so focused on it's societal implications that it loses focus of the horror aspect. Still a great film mind you, but Night deals its societal allegory in a very subtle way, then hitting you with a sledgehammer at the end. NOTLD is really, an almost perfect movie.
As for Shaun, it's hard to not have it in there, but I decided, Dead Alive was a more important film in the end.[/QUOTE]

I agree on Night. I think people watch Night in one of two ways: an old movie with old movie special fx (which may be interesting, mind you) or as a terrifying documentary of a fictional happening. I love it. I've said it before, but Night is very realistic. It captures that sense of not knowing. Of being trapped by the dead and the night in a place full of strangers while even the man on the TV cannot tell you what is going on.

Have you guys heard about Romero's new one? Island of the Dead or...someting like that? It's another "...of the Dead" title.

Sounds really interesting, kind of similar to an early Walking Dead story. There's two groups of people that have split because some feel that the zombies, most of which are family and loved ones, should be kept alive; the other half feels they should be destroyed because, you know, they're undead monsters.

I always liked that aspect of the Walking Dead story and can't wait to see a whole movie explore the notion. I get the feeling Romero (who's a fan of the comic series) got the idea from it.
Island of the Dead was originally supposed to be a direct sequel to the Dawn of the Dead remake, with the guy who played the cop playing as his missing brother. I'm not sure if it's going to be good or not, but I remember that there WAS a game being developed alongside it... but that was years ago.

EDIT: It's going to be called Survival of the Dead and it's premiering this month at one of the big film festivals.

I agree on Night. I think people watch Night in one of two ways: an old movie with old movie special fx (which may be interesting, mind you) or as a terrifying documentary of a fictional happening. I love it. I've said it before, but Night is very realistic. It captures that sense of not knowing. Of being trapped by the dead and the night in a place full of strangers while even the man on the TV cannot tell you what is going on.
I will never forget the opening, that tall, dark man shambling through the cemetery... ugh, it's such a terrifying scene...

I know that I'm in the minority, but I really liked the 90s remake of Night of the Living Dead. The only change I didn't like was Ben being a zombie in the end. I did like Barbara being a stronger character, though.

T

ThatNickGuy

I've never seen the original Night, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thus, I really liked Night of the Living Dead. A lot. :) I think you'll find a number of people did like it, Bowie. It helps that special effects zombie guru, Tom Savini, directed it.

I've never seen the original Night, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thus, I really liked Night of the Living Dead. A lot. :) I think you'll find a number of people did like it, Bowie. It helps that special effects zombie guru, Tom Savini, directed it.

There you go, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.