I Kill Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DougTheHead

With all the comics talk on the front page, I thought I would mention a trade paperback I picked up recently, I Kill Giants. It's a single-volume story published by Image, and after picking it up on the recommendation of a friend, I was blown away. This is the type of book that could introduce more kids to comics, and it's a breath of fresh air for anyone who wants to see more than superhero comics on the shelves. It's beautifully drawn and emotionally devastating, and only takes one volume to tell the whole story.

Anyone else pick this up? What did you think? This book was the first time I've heard of the author, Joe Kelly, but apparently he's been around for awhile. What else has he written?

Man, I REALLY gotta pick this up. I've heard nothing but great things about it. It's weird, because I have kind of a love/hate thing for Joe Kelly. He wrote some good stuff (Deadpool, Action Comics #750, etc), but his later run on Action Comics stunk horribly and some of his other stuff (I think he had a bad run on X-Men) has been pretty terrible.

That said, as I said, I've heard nothing but great things about I Kill Giants. Next time I get paid, I think I'll make this a purchase the comics store.

Call me crazy, but I THINK it's about a guy that kills giants.

*ducks!*

Seriously, though, I actually don't know.

A

Alex B.

It's hard to describe it without giving anything away, but it's about this little girl who claims to be a giant slayer. Meanwhile, there is some family drama going on.

That's a really shitty description, but I don't want to spoil anything. The trade is pretty cheap via instocktrades or Amazon. I highly recommend it as well.

Joe Kelly has been around a while. He wrote a pretty good run of Daredevil back in the late '90s, just before Kevin Smith came on, and worked on some Deadpool stuff. He's been doing more creator-owned stuff lately.

D

DougTheHead

Denbrought said:
What is it about, phrased in a not very spoiler-ish way?
I'll just say that the comic has some striking similarities to Calvin and Hobbes, if C&H were printed with a mind toward the graphic novel form. The art style even looks a little bit like what I'd imagine Bill Watterson to start drawing after dropping some acid. But yeah, it's about a modern-day ten-year-old girl who kills giants. That's all you should know going in.

R

Roxxoredizorz

Actually it was a 7 issue miniseries. I need to pick it up though.

T

TheBrew

Alex B. said:
It's hard to describe it without giving anything away, but it's about this little girl who claims to be a giant slayer. Meanwhile, there is some family drama going on.

That's a really shitty description, but I don't want to spoil anything. The trade is pretty cheap via instocktrades or Amazon. I highly recommend it as well.

Joe Kelly has been around a while. He wrote a pretty good run of Daredevil back in the late '90s, just before Kevin Smith came on, and worked on some Deadpool stuff. He's been doing more creator-owned stuff lately.
Kelly just finished an awesome arc for Amazing Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.