Export thread

Happy Labor Day!

strawman

strawman

In the United States, Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.

In many countries, the working classes sought to make May Day an official holiday, and their efforts largely succeeded. In the United States and Canada, however, the official holiday for workers is Labor Day in September. This day was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, who organized the first parade in New York City. After the Haymarket Massacre, US President Grover Cleveland feared that commemorating Labor Day on May 1 could become an opportunity to commemorate the affair. Thus, in 1887, it was established as an official holiday in September to support the Labor Day that the Knights favored.[1]

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can't wait for my chance to go contribute some labor on Labor Day.
Have Sun and Tue off this week.

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

Coincidentally, Monday is the one day of the week I give myself off.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Happy Great-big-pains-but-they-end-with-a-baby-day!

General Specific

General Specific

Interestingly, dill616 and I are awaiting news from my sister about the birth of my second nephew. He is due today. :D

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Psh. Here in Canada, we call it Labour Day. Because U should be important.

General Specific

General Specific

Yes, unnecessary Us for everyone! :p

blotsfan

blotsfan

Unnecessary "U"s for some, miniature American flags for others.

Dei

Dei

I am celebrating Labor Day by watching my kids labor in their messy rooms. Yeeeeah.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I got outside! It was awesome!

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

I got outside! It was awesome!
Spent lots of today outside! Some of it at a parade watching my daughter's high school marching band, some in the pool, lots working, some in downpours. You're right CG, it was awesome!

klew

klew

I was asked to work an extra 3.5 hours because someone didn't show up (might have been illness).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was asked to work an extra 3.5 hours because someone didn't show up (might have been illness).
And getting paid time and a half...bitches?

klew

klew

And getting paid time and a half...bitches?
but is that worth not having time to do something with friends on your birthday?

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

but is that worth not having time to do something with friends on your birthday?
Probably not, depends on how much they pay and how much you need the money, hope you got to enjoy your birthday in any case!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Reminder to smash the state, form a union, the employer is always the enemy, workers' rights, etc

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I labored in helping my dad build a recessed cabinet for their in-law suite that they are renovating. It was fun! Didn't take any pics though.