[Question] Favorite holiday special(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everyone,

Now that Thanksgiving's over and the Christmas season is in full swing, I got to thinking of Christmas specials. Since that could be kind of limited, I thought, hell, why not ALL the holidays? So, what's your favorite holiday special?

Not traditional, but I've posted mine below:

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here...with a big ribbon on his head! And I want to look him straight in the eye, and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Oh, are we listing holiday movies, not just specials? In that case, I love Gremlins. I haven't watched it in a few years because it's something my dad and I watch for Christmas and I haven't spent the holidays with him in a while, but I'm looking forward to whenever that happens again.

You know what... I'll give Charlie props on that one. *golfclap*

Also... WTF is wrong with you people that this one was not at the top of the list?

What O_C said. There is only one Christmas special, and that's the Peanuts one.

Though the stop-motion 1964 Rudolph ranks a close second.

Are we talking movies we watch at Christmas, too, or just Christmas specials from shows and such that aren't normally about Christmas?

If we're talking movies: Gremlins, Die Hard

Specials/Episodes: Muppets Family Christmas, Christmas with the Joker

Anybody else remember the Bump in the night christmas special? It was one of my favourites.

I still don't know the actual words to this song, I can't help but sing this version in my head.

M

makare

Again definitely the muppet movies especially muppet family christmas. I really want the full version but i cant find it anywhere :( sadness

Scrooged, The Ref, Trapped in Paradise, the Santa Clause movies I know people dislike the third one but I love it Jack Frost cracks me up, Elf, Home alone movies, and It's a Wonderful Life. I know there are more but I can't think of them. I love watching those movies while making christmas treats. But this year we won't really be making treats and that makes me super sad :(

I don't care what point of the movie it's in, if I'm flipping through channels and I see Trading Places is on, productivity stops.

I watch the Nightmare Before Christmas for both Halloween and Christmas.

As far as specials go, there's always the 24 hour A Christmas Story marathon on USA or TNT or wherever.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Everyone knows the classics, but two movies I enjoy watching at Christmas Time are Jim Carrie's "The Grinch" and "The Ice Harvest," which isn't a Christmas movie so much as a movie that takes place at Christmas Time. I don't even know why I like that movie so much.

I do love the stop motion Bankin Rass specials as a rule.

Who doesn't love the abominable snowman from The Christmas Without a Santa Claus.

M

makare

Hehe I like all the Grinches really.

As far as the stop motion stuff goes I like them now as an adult but as a kid they creeped me out. I have no idea why. *shrugs*

I finally made it all the way through a year without a santa claus a few years ago and i loved it. So fun.

Just looked up the year... This may actually be one of my first memories ever.

Weird, my edit deleted my original post. I had said that i did recall the harvey corman cooking bot before seeing the special when it reappeared.

**pushes up taped nerd glasses...

The Star Wars Holiday Special was a Thanksgiving special.

I am one of likely 3 people here that actually watched it first run.
I would make #2 on that list... Even better though, I've had dinner with three of the actors in that special now.

My personal favorite is A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart. I think that it's the best production of that story ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.