Participants:

1. Chronos
2. Necronic
3. Dubyamn
4. Pojodan
5. Bearscholar
6. ????

Rules:
The goal here is to make a thriving fortress that grows with each successive year, thus, the only significant rule is to make the fortress 'better' than it was when you started. That is to say, giving the following participant a chance to improve upon it as well. As such, please avoid the following: Making the dwarfs unhappy, making the elves or humans want to go to war with the dwarfs, mining out adamantium, leaving the fortress wide open for goblin seige, or, of course, flooding the fortress with water/magma.

Each player will, upon the message 'Spring is upon you!' displaying, save and send the save file on to the next participant.

Each player is also highly encouraged to take screenshots of significant events and post them, blog-style in this thread so the rest of the world can observe our little universe.

All that said, Chronos, it's up to you to find a suitable starting location with the following requirements:
1) Non-evil location
2) Plenty of trees for wood production
3) A LEAST two of these, preferably all: A river, a known source of magma, sand, flux stone
4) A starting set of dwarfs that aren't all totally stupid (2 miners, mason, grower, carpenter, etc)
5) 2 cats and 2 dogs

Version:
I'm using a graphic tile set version available HERE, though any 0.28.181.40d version will work.

Ready? Go!

Chronos[Ha-G]

Pojodan said:
All that said, Chronos, it's up to you to find a suitable starting location with the following requirements:
1) Non-evil location
2) Plenty of trees for wood production
3) A LEAST two of these, preferably all: A river, a known source of magma, sand, flux stone
4) A starting set of dwarfs that aren't all totally stupid (2 miners, mason, grower, carpenter, etc)
5) 2 cats and 2 dogs

Ready? Go!
It's weird - I started this before I saw this post, and I've gotten most of what's listed:

1 - Yup.
2 - Yup (Swamp).
3 - Yup, yup (Although I have yet to find it - location finder thingamabob said that there's both a magma pool and a vent somewhere here), yup (Red), yup (Chalk - so it doubles as our sedimentary).
4 - I think I did pretty good with it. Followed roughly what's outlined.
5 - Well, I got 1/2 of that. We're going without cats for the time-being...

Pojodan

No cats, hmm? That can be good and bad, hopefully some imigrants bring a few kitties along with or someone rigs up some rodent traps or some such.

Necronic

Necronic

aquifer? Please say no

Pojodan

Necronic said:
aquifer? Please say no
Forgot to mention that, but I think aquifers are basically there for folks trying to chalange themselves... something we are definately not attempting to do.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Pojodan said:
Necronic said:
aquifer? Please say no
Forgot to mention that, but I think aquifers are basically there for folks trying to chalange themselves... something we are definately not attempting to do.
Aquifer? FUCK THAT NOISE. Not even going to attempt an aquifer for this.

Anyway, I've got the first year done - now I just need to make a series of relevant, funny posts about it. Gonna start after this one.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Right - here we go.

Journal of Chronos Keskalishlum, Expeditionary leader to Lilarthikut - "Patterned Books".

As required by Dwarven Law (Article 7, Subsection 12 of Expeditionary Endeavors - Procedures and Regulations By Order of the Council of The King{As Last Convened
in Year 196}
), I am required to keep a written record of any and all noteworthy events while I remain leader upon reaching our destination and officially breaking
ground on our new fortress - which, for no reason I am logically able to ascertain, has been named Lilarthikut, or "Patterned Books," by the Council of the King.
Although I am not a Scrivener by trade, I shall do my best to record anything and everything of determinate worth. In truth, I have been a low-ranking bureaucrat
for another small outpost for the past 12 years, and only due to the sheer ineptitude of my previous employer have I been made the expeditionary leader for this
particular endeavor (Never again will I make a bet with an employer concerning putting in "A good word" to a Royal Official - instead of being allowed Tax-Free
imports of gems for my own personal use as I was intending, the Official decided I was a prime candidate for an expedition).

Dear god, I'm dreading this.

Anyway, seeing as how this is to be both a history of the outpost, and a record of my thoughts as leader for those that may follow, I'll start with what I've done
up to this point, in preparations for leaving.
Apparently, if one is the leader of an expedition, they are allowed by Dwarven Law to choose their own provisions as they see fit (Article 34, Subsection 2, EE-
{Y196}
). Unfortunately, the Kingdom still has only finite resources, so my immediate request upon hearing this for "A Contingent of Elite Legion Soldiers, a
Pre-Built Concubine Villa, complete and utter command over both, and 100 draughts of various kinds of alchohol" was denied. Well, not entirely - as it turns out,
the alchohol was allowed. What I did bring, I'll chart in the space below:

A few things of note:

1. Apparently, there is an ongoing discussion between experienced expedition leaders as to whether or not an anvil - which is, granted, hideously expensive due to
the Empire's "Forging Tools" tax - is better brought along for the trip, or purchased at a later time from a traveling caravan. After listening to both sides of
the argument, I've concluded that leaving the acquisition of an anvil up to random chance - an anvil, as a note, which cannot be forged without another anvil
- is a horrendously stupid decision and one that I would not be making. I bought an anvil, and instead of buying pre-built, expensive Steel axes I instead decided
to use said anvil in the on-site creation of axes at a much lower cost (Pre-built Steel axe vs. Cheap copper bars forged into axes).

2. By a stroke of luck, as I was perusing the EE - {Y196}, I stumbled across a ruling (Article 34, Subsection 5) that requires that "All meat intended for
an expedition be separated by type into differing barrels, so that no one barrel stores two or more differing types of meat."
The long and short of this, then, is that if I request as many different types of meat as possible, the outfitters are required to provide a separate barrel
for each type. And since the cost of the barrel is not applied to my budget, I've just procured myself cost-free (Well, to me, anyway) barrels for the expedition.

3. A similar ruling applies to Alchohol as well - Although I couldn't imagine a situation even without a ruling where they'd just mix drinks in barrels
willy-nilly. They are allowed to store 5 draughts of liquid per barrel - no more. So, I purposefully took those 100 draughts, split them into 25 apiece (for the 4
types of alchohol provided by the outfitter), and then subtracted 4 draughts from 3 of the types and added them towards the remaining, untouched drink. This
produced 3 extra, relatively cheap barrels simply by shuffling how many drinks of each I decided to bring.

4. Concerning the relatively high amount of turtle meat - I love turtle. They're delicious. But, in hindsight, this has a practical application as well. The
particular outfitter I recieved my supplies from furnishes requests for turtle meat by providing the whole turtle, shell and all. Not only does this mean that I recieve the shell of the animal after consumption - which can be carved into various, saleable crafts - but the bones are included as well, which can also be carved into various trinkets of conscripted value.

5. I also took along a few pieces of coal. Because I had some left over money and I figured it would be good in case we needed fire.

Chronos[Ha-G]

The trip up here was mostly uneventful. One of the miners got sick, and one of the animals ate it and then in turn got sick. The travel, despite being laden with gorgeous scenery, did little to improve my perceptions of what we would be in for.

We arrived on the first day of spring. Convenient, that. After stopping, I took the opportunity to observe our immediate surroundings.

- We stopped near an outcropping independent from the rest of the mountain. Plenty of sand on this mountain, which will come in handy for both glass making and irritating everyone when sand inevitably infests our rooms, our food, our clothing. Ugh.

- I've noticed various veins/deposits of metal/minerals throughout the rock face. Surely, these will either see use for our ends - or at least be converted into shiny baubles to sell to the stupidest merchant I can find.

- There happens to be a gigantic chasm carved through the mountain, extending far beyond the base. Hell if I know how long it'll take some drunk idiot to contribute to the inevitable filling of the hole. Might be useful for dumping any [strike:31f8xoan]incriminating[/strike:31f8xoan] undesirable garbage.

First thing I set about delegating was an [strike:31f8xoan]entrance wound[/strike:31f8xoan] entry hall into the mountain itself. Personally, I'd have just preferred a single-dwarf sided hole in the mountain with a door capping off the end of it, but I recall another outfitter mentioning that an entry hall of this approximate size and shape would be invaluable for defense. Regrettably, I do not remember why an entry hall of this approximate size and shape would be invaluable for defense. However, I remember whatever the old coot said making sense at the time, so I trust my previous judgment. The main entrance to our fortress will be ridiculously oversized:

Now, my next task is to start generating both housing [strike:31f8xoan]for me[/strike:31f8xoan] and workshops for everyone.

Pojodan

Ah, very good with making the axes.. saves a bunch of money there.

Yeah, how come you need an anvil to make an anvil? Chicken and the egg, anyone?

Necronic

Necronic

no axes?
:Leyla:

No woodcutting?

Edit: I see what you did. Risky move, but interesting.

Chronos[Ha-G]

8th Slate, 201 (Mid-Spring):

Work is [strike:35loflpt]slow as hell[/strike:35loflpt] proceeding along at projected rates. Despite my base desires for a bed so I may finally sleep, I've prioritized creation of stockpiles, bringing the food indoors before it becomes infested with all manner of vermin, and creation of workshops. I'd rather have the ability to make what we might need before we gain the ability to sleep:

One thing of particular note, is the frequency of gem strikes we've had so far - small deposits, to be sure, but there's been a fair amount of them. Coupled with the gem veins I've already seen on the exterior face of the mountain, I'm starting to [strike:35loflpt]dread waking up to this hellhole less[/strike:35loflpt] actually gain some confidence as to our prospects:

Despite my best efforts, we've attracted some indoor vermin. I knew I forgot something - felines. Personally, I have no particular inclination to house any cat in the fortress - I've heard horror stories of how rapidly they breed given small confines similar to what we've got - but as long as they're capable of doing a job I've no problem with them.

- On a side note, what the hell is a "fluffy wambler" supposed to be anyway? And who decided that "fluffy wambler" would be what it's called? It seems [strike:35loflpt]horrendously retarded[/strike:35loflpt] ridiculously obtuse. I haven't gotten a good look at one myself - it's always darting around before I can lock eyes on it. I wish it would stay out in the open long enough to smash it with my boot heel.

9th Slate.

Well, it wasn't me, but someone finally got it:

Unfortunately, it appears as though they had the same idea in regards to utilizing footwear - I've looked it over, but I'm unable to identify what it might have resembled in mortality.

This also appears to be a good place to note my new rock-storage solution. Regulation stipulates that a fortress should designate an official stockpile and lay each stone out spaced equidistant from each other, thus forcing only a handful of rocks to occupy an entire room. However, I've found out (EE, {196}, A. 15 S. 93) that if something is designated as trash, it may be stacked as high as desired in as small a space as desired. Hence, from this point on, any room that is mined out and produces any useable but non-economic or metallic/mineral stone will be dumped into the nearest garbage zone - in the above rendering, it's the same room as I've indicated the "fuzzy wambler" is.

Chronos[Ha-G]

12th Felsite, Late spring.

We've finally created the axes needed to start lumberjacking. I've since [strike:2ijxyfnd]declared war on the trees[/strike:2ijxyfnd] decided to clear-cut a not insubstantial amount of wood so we may [strike:2ijxyfnd]finally have some beds to cure my insomnia[/strike:2ijxyfnd] generate some charcoal and other wood goods:

The rooms have finally been [strike:2ijxyfnd]wrested from this miserable pile of inanimate excrement[/strike:2ijxyfnd] carved out of the mountainside. I've ordered doors be created for each room, so that each Dwarf can be [strike:2ijxyfnd]contained as a contingency plan[/strike:2ijxyfnd] alone when they need to be, and sleep peacefully:

21st Felsite, Late spring.

Only recently have I noticed that some of our food stockpile is still outside. I was only alerted when the lumberjack came back in and asked why I'd allowed the food to stay outdoors all this time. [strike:2ijxyfnd]I then proceeded to take his axe from him, and create an imprint the size and shape of said axe in his skull cavity because I FUCKING TOLD THESE IDIOTS MYSELF TO BRING THE FOOD IN.[/strike:2ijxyfnd] I requested that he check on the status of our food stockpiles - he returned a few minutes later, and informed me that they were completely full. I then directed that we should create another food stockpile - much larger than either of the previous two:

- Hopefully, these dwarves will finally get the food in, as I asked them months ago. Ridiculous. [strike:2ijxyfnd]If I don't get some sleep soon I'm going to murder every last one of these snot bags with my own beard comb.[/strike:2ijxyfnd]

23 Felsite, Late spring.

That's it. I've had enough of these moronic half-wits not doing as I've told. The carpenter/woodcutter, despite being marginally more observant than a bag of sand, has also neglected his carpentry duties in favor of destroying trees with his usual reckless abandon. I've decided to become a carpenter so I may finally sleep again. Despite not having any experience outside of fixing my squeaky chair once, I'm determined to show these worthless wretches how things are supposed to be done:

Chronos[Ha-G]

11th Malachite, Mid-Summer.

Nothing of any particular note has happened the past few weeks, other than a few minor things.

- I've started getting the hang of this carpentry act. Last week, I only had to repair [strike:178dlkig]4[/strike:178dlkig] 5 of the beds again, and only [strike:178dlkig]three[/strike:178dlkig] two of the chairs bust apart.

- No migrants this season. Which I'm actually somewhat [strike:178dlkig]pissed[/strike:178dlkig] disappointed about. I was hoping to get someone who [strike:178dlkig]knew what they were doing[/strike:178dlkig] I could delegate most of this carpentry to so I could get back to running this place as I'm supposed to.

- We've collected enough gems to merit building another entire storeroom devoted to them. I'll have them dig out another one later - I've just had this large room dug out for another reason.

25th Malachite, Mid-Summer.

I've just thought about our water supply - none of us have spent a winter here, so we're not sure how cold it might get. The worry is that [strike:178dlkig]we'll all freeze to death[/strike:178dlkig] the local ponds and rivers will freeze solid, and we'll be left without any easily obtained water for the winter. This, no doubt, is a bad thing. So, I've delegated that a tunnel be dug underground tapping into the local river - if my theory is correct, the water underground with us should be resistant to freezing during the cold months:

On a side note, I've noticed something recently. A few weeks after we first arrived, it started to rain. Normally, this wouldn't be worth mentioning, but...it still hasn't stopped. We're midway through summer, and I still haven't seen the sun since arriving here. Granted, I still prefer the underground to the outdoors, but this is starting to become ominous.

28th Malachite, Mid-Summer.

Well, I was right about one thing - this sand is severely irritating. Over the past few days, I've had the masons [strike:178dlkig]drop what they were doing[/strike:178dlkig] come in when they had the time and construct a proper rock floor:

[spoiler:178dlkig]- [OOC: Err, it's the top 3x3 room with the extra space on top. I forgot to use the "look" command to drop the yellow X in this screen.][/spoiler:178dlkig]

- The water tunnel was completed. As the water rushed down the corridor, I ordered that anyone who wasn't busy try and get the rocks left in the tunnel so [strike:178dlkig]I could laugh my arse off while they ran back[/strike:178dlkig] we didn't lose any stone to bad [strike:178dlkig]planning[/strike:178dlkig] luck.

- A while back I ordered our miners to start digging out the Garnierite vein protruding from the northern face of [strike:178dlkig]this stupid rock[/strike:178dlkig] the mountain. This particular vein also crosses through the nearby chasm, so I'm not holding high hopes for us to continue having any miners for particularly long. At least the Nickel coming out of that ore can [strike:178dlkig]make a great chest[/strike:178dlkig] [strike:178dlkig]help cover the cost of the funeral[/strike:178dlkig] be used for high-temperature applications. Not that we have any high-temperature processes - I've heard that this site may have some magma nearby, but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere.

Chronos[Ha-G]

15th Galena, Late Summer.

The miners complained about having to wander outside every time they wanted to continue mining the Garnierite vein. I told them to [strike:1vitfl0q]shove it[/strike:1vitfl0q] mine a tunnel from our housing area to the chasm, so they could [strike:1vitfl0q]continue being lazy arses[/strike:1vitfl0q] work more efficiently:

To prevent unwanted visitors from entering whenever they damn well feel like through the mining face, I've ordered a door be installed at its entrance:

- I eventually intend on building a few cage traps to catch anything we don't want coming in. Plus, if it catches something like a goblin it could make for a great [strike:1vitfl0q]zoo[/strike:1vitfl0q] [strike:1vitfl0q]training exercise[/strike:1vitfl0q] zoo.

21st Galena, Late Summer.

What the...?

I didn't order this. In fact, I'm the only one authorized to cut gems - as I have been doing - so far. Either I'm going insane and started encrusting random objects with gems, or someone has far too much time on their hands.

- As seems to be the continuing trend around here, I'm tripping over gems. Not necessarily a bad thing.

1st Limestone, Early Autumn.

I decided we needed to have a trade depot - if memory serves, the Dwarven caravan should be passing through this region soon. Unfortunately, as I proceeded outside to being construction, I was [strike:1vitfl0q]chased off[/strike:1vitfl0q] disturbed by an abnormally large rodent:

After [strike:1vitfl0q]dashing inside and collecting myself[/strike:1vitfl0q] removing myself from the obvious threat, I attempted to relocate where the rat went, but by then I was informed that A) The rat was dead according to our list of registered animals, and B) We have a list of registered animals:

A list of REGISTERED ANIMALS!? Even I think this is too much. As soon as I saw the list...listing...the rat as being dead, I immediately replaced it from whence it came and went back to my gem cutting. There comes a point where even I think there's too much bureaucracy in something.

4th Limestone, Early Autumn.

Unfortunately, it seems that [strike:1vitfl0q]I should have looked over the registered animals list more carefully[/strike:1vitfl0q] someone did not inform me about the remainder of the entries on the registered animals list - the following came as somewhat of a shock.

- The farmer ran inside, panting and complaining about being attacked by a giant rat. Thus far, we've been unable to determine if it was the same rat which caused me problems earlier or if this was a different rat, and the one listed as deceased was an unrelated rodent. I opened up the registered animals list again to try and sort things out:

- I started taking note of the amount of giant moles and large rats this tract of land apparently houses, when I suddenly noticed the "Ratman" entry at the top of the page.

..."Ratman?" What the hell is a ratman?

...Oh God. No no no no no no no no no.

Necronic

Necronic

uh oh

Necronic

Necronic

The ratmen are in the Chasm. Close it off!

Chronos[Ha-G]

Necronic said:
The ratmen are in the Chasm. Close it off!
Yeah, I started poking around the wiki to find out about ratmen - doesn't sound like they're particularly harmful, but annoyingly I've already finished my turn - I'm recounting all this crap from just looking at screenshots. I'll post some more in a bit here, and will probably finish tomorrow sometime.

On the plus side, you're up next...YOU CAN SEAL IT!

Necronic

Necronic

Forgot you said that till after I posted. I'll.....deal with them.

Chronos[Ha-G]

6th Limestone, Early Autumn.

We've had a rat just sitting outside - not moving, just remaining stationary. No clue why.

It's plotting. They're plotting. I just know it.

9th Limestone, Early Autumn.

Rat's still there - taunting us. Why it hasn't tried anything yet, I don't know. We'll have to keep a close eye on it.

One of the dogs had puppies - Good. Perhaps we'll be able to field a squad of war dogs on these vermin invaders...wherever they are.

10th Limestone, Early Autumn.

Weirdly, one of our woodcutters went out near the rat to fell a tree - there wasn't even an exchange of hostilities. The axeman came by, and the rat left. Either he scared the rat off, or they're working together. I'm not entirely sure at this point, so I'll keep my eye on the cutter as well. [strike:xjfbibua]Miserable bastard.[/strike:xjfbibua]

The Dwarven caravan's arrived - Unfortunately, they chose the exact wrong direction to try and enter our area:

Apparently, they forgot that their wagons are incapable of navigating the mountain range, and only remembered as they neared us and thus turned around at the last minute, leaving only the liaison and a few miserable merchants carting what little they can carry [strike:xjfbibua]with their arses[/strike:xjfbibua] on their backs. Idiots.

Unfortunately, due to [strike:xjfbibua]the rats[/strike:xjfbibua] circumstances beyond my control, I've been unable to finish the trade depot I set out to build more than a week ago. Finally, though, the rats seem to have wandered off, affording myself an opportunity to finish.

13th Limestone, Early Autumn.

It seems I've been blessed with patient merchants - which would be the [strike:xjfbibua]3rd[/strike:xjfbibua] 2nd redeeming quality I can attribute to this expedition. They've waited up in the mountain range they came in from for me to finish before proceeding down to trade. But first, I have need to speak with the liaison.

I reply "A trip home, and [strike:xjfbibua]a solid warhammer to smash that Royal Officials face in[/strike:xjfbibua] someone to fill in for me." He didn't find it particularly funny. I wonder if [strike:xjfbibua]they're related[/strike:xjfbibua] he isn't particularly quick.

I'm not going to list everything I requested here, but I focused primarily on:
- Weapons
- Armor
- More alchohol
- More seeds
- More turtles (Alright, perhaps there are 3 redeeming things about this [strike:xjfbibua]hellhole[/strike:xjfbibua] place.)
- Some metal bars - primarily useful metals (Iron, Bronze, Copper, etc.)
- Smeltable stone of more valuable but less useful metals.
- And Carp leather.

19th Limestone, Early Autumn.

I received a report that another rat came around and hassled some of the Dwarves as they were bringing supplies to/from the new trade depot. When I went to investigate the front entrance, I was greeted by

Rat bits. I immediately marked them for disposal. Someone nearby asked why I didn't just do it myself. [strike:xjfbibua]I impaled his eye socket with the last carving I had been working on[/strike:xjfbibua] I informed him that, as expedition leader, I was in charge and that I needed to go trade anyway.

Rather predictably, their selection was rather poor. I attribute this primarily to [strike:xjfbibua]their ineptitude in reading maps[/strike:xjfbibua] their inability to get their loaded wagons to the site. Perhaps [strike:xjfbibua]I[/strike:xjfbibua] someone should clear the surrounding area to make travel easier in this area.

Regardless, I only purchased a few things from their meager selection. A warhammer [strike:xjfbibua]so I may finally remove the stupider beings from this fortress[/strike:xjfbibua], some cloth, some leather, some alchohol, a couple other items.

1st Sandstone, Mid-Autumn.

The merchants have since left, but...strangely, the liaison is still lingering around. He's even started following me around as I go about my daily work:

I realize that he needs to finish the trade agreement, but he's taking ridiculously long to do so. I'm starting to suspect that this dwarf is [strike:xjfbibua]enjoying my company far more than I'd like[/strike:xjfbibua] extremely slow.

Asides from repeating what I've already asked his caravan to bring the next time they come by, he states that there's a certain demand for objects they'll be willing to pay a premium for the next time they come by:

The liaison, after signing the deal, recites perhaps the creepiest send off I've ever heard:

First off - I don't look forward to it, particularly if your drivers are as knowledgeable as they were for this trip, and secondly - no they don't. My fortunes are completely and utterly independent of yours. For example, you're currently walking away whilst I'm still stationed here. Lovely.

Chronos[Ha-G]

24th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn.

What with the recent rat problems, I've decided to try and initiate a capture program - the first part of which, is construction of a kennel. Somewhat predictably, none of the dwarves has any experience with animal training, so I took the initiative and [strike:4u1fht0z]declared myself the local animal expert[/strike:4u1fht0z] started studying this [strike:4u1fht0z]tedious[/strike:4u1fht0z] [strike:4u1fht0z]moronic[/strike:4u1fht0z] fascinating process. To reward myself for doing so, I've decided to start installing an actual wall in my room, as opposed to the miraculously propped up length of sand:

One unexpected surprise I've discovered from this was that our masons are supremely quiet when it comes to stoneworking. After I had ordered the walls be built, I proceeded back to my room for my night's sleep - when I awoke, I found the southern wall was completed. Apparently, I must be careful that I say on the dwarves' good side - they could apparently build a wall around me were I to nod off in a chair.

6th Timber, Late Autumn.

At long last, we've received some migrants!

- One even brought a kitten with them. That will help alleviate the recent vermin problems. I've noticed one's even a hunter - perhaps he'll be able to track down some of these wretched rodents.

I've ordered another row of housing cut into the mountain:

14th Timber, Late Autumn.

From what I've been able to determine, at least one of the new immigrants is [strike:4u1fht0z]requesting a warhammer prosthetic[/strike:4u1fht0z] a prankster:

- I was working in the jeweler's shop when a small puff of purple miasma leaked into the door. Wondering what was going on, I stepped outside into a horrendous fog. Apparently, someone thought a particularly potent stink bomb was a good idea. The thing filled the entirety of the store room - someone yelled that another vermin had died and was just decaying, but I've yet to see a body proving thus.

20th Timber, Late Autumn.

Perhaps I'm just not accustomed to hunting procedures, but I've just witnessed a rather interesting action from our new hunter:

- the hunter killed a mountain goat, and dragged it to their room. While I will admit it's not my preferred course of action with a dead animal - I do not wish to know what this hunter intends to do with said animal in the same room they sleep in - it's good to know that at least one other dwarf around here can take initiative. This...Dwarf? Name is Urvad Loretol? Hmm. Haven't heard that name before - In fact, I haven't even directly seen this dwarf [strike:4u1fht0z]much like I haven't seen most of the Dwarves around here[/strike:4u1fht0z] - I'm not even sure what gender they are due to the odd name. Well, tomorrow I intend on making whomever this is my 2nd in command - give them more responsibility. It's about time we finally had another capable Dwarf, as opposed to all the other [strike:4u1fht0z]slackjawed idiots[/strike:4u1fht0z] inexperienced labor around here.

21st Timber, Late Autumn.

Of course, this miserable hellhole has proven itself to be a miserable hellhole again:

- Urvad went out for an early morning hunt - and proceeded to get mauled by a pack of mole rats. Under normal circumstances, I would assume that the Dwarf-in-question was supremely incapable of even the basest of breathing abilities, much less any sort of remotely useful work for an expedition such as is currently being undertaken. However, this was a trained hunter we're talking about here - these moles planned this. They planned this well. The other Dwarves are apparently starting to call the one that dealt the killing blow by an actual name - Udistnicat.

This rodent will rue they day he targeted us.

Pojodan

Dwarf.. chunks... everywhere! D:

Chronos[Ha-G]

For reference: I'll probably finish up tonight - only another post or two of stuff left that's happened. Then I just gotta find a place to host the .rar with the save data.

Necronic

Necronic

I think I may have to push my slot back to 5 or so then. For the next week I really need to clean up my apartment before my move. I'll let yall know tonight.

Chronos[Ha-G]

26th Sandstone, Late Autumn.

In light of recent events, I've decided to step up our war dog training regimen.

Speaking of animals, that goat corpse is still in Urvads old room. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it.

1st Moonstone, Early Winter.

I've ordered that several cages be built, and that they be utilized in cage traps covering every entrance to our fortress, barring the yawning chasm of course:

I've also ordered the start to exploratory mining into the rest of the mountainside, so that we might locate some useful metals for weaponry:

- I'm not sure when this might produce anything usable, though. Not exactly a sure-fire method for locating metal.

13th Moonstone, Early Winter.

The other day, as I was drifting off to sleep and wondering about the defensive situation, I remembered something - I remembered what was so important about the entrance hall! Building one of that approximate size and shape allows ballistae to be placed defending the doors! I ordered construction of a siege facility immediately.

- Soon, we'll have two ballistae pointed directly at each door! Unfortunately, until we get some more useful metal (Such as copper, bronze, iron, etc.), we'll be unable to create the arrowheads for the ballistae, and hence, no arrows to load into them. At the very least, we'll be able to [strike:3hehh4cy]fire the less useful among us at the walls for amusement[/strike:3hehh4cy] hopefully intimidate anything coming in before they notice the lack of arrows.

24th Opal, Mid-Winter.

Due to the recent passing of a certain Dwarf - which, I've just realized, is the first actual death among any of us Dwarves. I've ordered a graveyard be built outdoors - and to try and [strike:3hehh4cy]eventually ignore the deaths[/strike:3hehh4cy] ease the memories of those still [strike:3hehh4cy]breathing[/strike:3hehh4cy] alive, I've also ordered a wall be built around the yard, so that they're not readily visible to either us or any traveling merchants, who I'd assume would look down upon trading in view of a decomposing corpse:

2nd Obsidian, Late Winter.

Well, it took a fair amount of time, but the Balistae are ready:

- Still unable to manufacture the arrows for them, though. Will have to prioritize that as soon as we receive the metal for it.

12th Obsidian, Late Winter.

Aha. I referenced a geology manual - Tetrahedrite can be smelted into copper (As well as some silver - [strike:3hehh4cy]apparently, I may be able to get that silver chalice sooner than I thought.[/strike:3hehh4cy]), so I've ordered the miners to start digging out a nearby vein:

- to [strike:3hehh4cy]silence the miners constant complaining about the extra 50 feet they apparently can't travel[/strike:3hehh4cy] facilitate the ease in collection of the ore, I've also ordered a tunnel be dug from our workshop quarter to the vein:

Now, soon we'll have a supply of copper from which we can at least start the manufacture of some decent weaponry.

1st Granite, Early Spring.

...One of the Dwarves just came into my room just now. He thanked me for my leadership, and casually informed me that I was relieved of my leadership duties. I immediately inquired as to [strike:3hehh4cy]the integrity of his skull, because there is an obvious leak[/strike:3hehh4cy] the reason behind this, and he mentioned that, as an officially sanctioned expedition, I was to lead the expedition as I see fit for precisely one year.

...I'm speechless. I've never heard of this before. I couldn't believe it to be true. But - I've confirmed. That blasted handbook really does list that I'm only to remain as leader for one year following our arrival at the site.

I've no idea who this new Dwarf is, or how he'll run this place. At this point, however - I don't particularly care. Seeing as how I am now no longer integral to the administration of this fortress, I may just be able to transfer back to my old post [strike:3hehh4cy]and decapitate that blasted official that sent me here in the first place[/strike:3hehh4cy]. It's somewhat of a relief, being free of command - perhaps this might be for the best.

That is, assuming that things don't just get worse.

[strike:3hehh4cy]...how is it STILL RAINING!?[/strike:3hehh4cy]

Chronos[Ha-G]

Right! Well, that's the end of my turn. Now, I've never shared a save file for Dwarf Fort before, so tell me if this isn't what I'm supposed to provide:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jedwamjrigk

Should be an .rar file with the entire region folder that this fortress is in.

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, go ahead and push me back to 5. Hopefully by then I will have internet up and running.

Edit: Wait just realized tommorows a holiday. Let me see if I get it off. Will get back to yall tommorow. I'll start on it tonight. If I have tommorow off I will finish it. Not going to be as in depth as chronos's updates though.

Pojodan

Necronic said:
Not going to be as in depth as chronos's updates though.
Noooo!

D

Dubyamn

Sounds cool.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Oh! One other thing of note.

If you don't already have one, you probably want a screenshot program - this would've been murder (And much shorter) if I had to print screen, paste into paint, and resize and rename all of these myself. For this, I decided to try Quick Screenshot Maker 2.1.0 - works pretty well. Lets you create 30 pictures for free, then you have to buy it (Unless you...ahem..."find" it somewhere). Whole process was waaaay quick with this thing, compared to what it could have been.

Far

Far

I'm slogging through the youtube tutorials myself right now and then I'm going to play a game or two to get myself accustomed to the game but if all goes well and I actually learn to play I'd be more than happy to join in on this. Don't put me down just yet, just giving you a little heads up that you may have one more.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Far said:
I'm slogging through the youtube tutorials myself right now and then I'm going to play a game or two to get myself accustomed to the game but if all goes well and I actually learn to play I'd be more than happy to join in on this. Don't put me down just yet, just giving you a little heads up that you may have one more.
Cool - the more the merrier! I'm also betting that most of us would be willing to help if you have any questions.

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]
Far said:
Cool - the more the merrier! I'm also betting that most of us would be willing to help if you have any questions.
Yes, do ask as many questions as you like. Dwarf Fortress has what we call a 'Difficulty Cliff' in that you basically need to know 90% of everything you'll ever need to know in order to even get started.

Necronic

Necronic

Captain's log stardate.....zzzzhhhhh..*crackle*...

That was strange

Necronic's Book of History

Entry 1:
The call has been put out for a dwarf of skill and strength to take up leadership at a new outpost. Due to the increasingly common incursions of goblins we have to do this every time another fort falls. Without the constant infusion of wealth into our king's (and our own) coffers we cannot exactly be called dwarves anymore. May as well be elves! Bah. So it is upon me to take charge of a young and burgeoning colony, to foster it as I may. The king has seen my promise in the past. My love of the glitter is clear, and he appreciates that, as well he should. My goals will be simple.

To amass wealth.
To build dwarven defenses that will last a lifetime.
To earn a worthy tomb of my own.

I will be there tommorow, and my beard tingles at the potential for what lies in the dirt.

Entry 2:
I have arrived. After relieving the previous hoardmaster I take stock of my situation. It is not good. There are 5 issues to be dealt with, 2 of which ares so unspeakable it hurts me to utter them.

1. The stockpiles are a mess. My beard may be a place for gems and food to sit side by side, but my stockpiles will not. This will take months to sort out, but should be doable.
2. There are 3 entrances to our fortress, 2 of which are entirely unnecessary. The 3rd has ballista, which have incredible power, but are not nearly as reliable as an axe and a shield. The latter is of course forgivable considering the limited supply of labor.
3. The bedrooms are right next to the workshops. I can't sleep with all that racket!
4. There is NO BEER!
5. There is a dwarf, whose corpse is rotting in the sun. I can think of no more horrible a way to dishonor our brother than that.

4 and 5 are my primary concerns, the other issues will take a long time to deal with, but will be worth it when done. Along these lines it is in my interest to increase the wealth by 10 times in my stay. Here is the opening stockpile.

And the opening design

I cannot say I disagree with all my predescessor has done. His construction of easily sealed workshops should help avoid any unnecessary accidents should a dwarf be taken by the spirit of the artifact.

Entry 3. The tomb has been finished. May he sleep well and forgive us our sins

Also, the new bedrooms have been ordered. It took me longer than it should to get these started. My miners were fancying themselves masons for a moment. I have also noticed that these dwarves consider themselves worthy of personal coffers. As penance to the dwarf left outside they were all taken. Dwarf rooms will be simple. A bed.

At this point I noticed that all my dwarves were eating in there own rooms. This would end as well. Proper dwarves feast in mighty halls, regailing each other drunkenly over stories of mutilated goblins.

I must rest. There is much to do and so little time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude, this map is huge. Hopefully most people can play on it. Even my system is only running @ 50 FPS. Also, I'm going to try and keep enough of the design the same that is not in the long term dangerous or really inefficient.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Crud - I keep forgetting to edit the game files so that it displays a larger swath than what I've been working with. I really need to do that someday.

Also, I got so wrapped up with nailing the basic design down that I neglected to install a still. Oi - that was a mistake.

EDIT: Concerning the map size - Yeah, I know. Kept trying to get a good map with most everything on it, but kept failing. I'm notoriously picky when it comes to a starting location for this game - that's why this was the 4th region I created just for this game. I remember reading a few tricks to help increase performance in the wiki - you may opt to undertake them.

Necronic

Necronic

Nah, there was a still, just nobody doing anything in it. You have all the dwarves crosstrained in multiple things. For the sake of good production I've eliminated that, and put everyone on single tasks (with hauling being an exception for some). I'm wasting the initial expenses, but I have to be able to know my boys will do just what I ask when I ask them.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Necronic said:
Nah, there was a still, just nobody doing anything in it. You have all the dwarves crosstrained in multiple things. For the sake of good production I've eliminated that, and put everyone on single tasks (with hauling being an exception for some). I'm wasting the initial expenses, but I have to be able to know my boys will do just what I ask when I ask them.
I did? Crap. Yeah - there's definitely an advantage to posting updates as you play the game, instead of dumping every screen into a folder and recalling later.

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]
Necronic said:
I did? Crap. Yeah - there's definitely an advantage to posting updates as you play the game, instead of dumping every screen into a folder and recalling later.
Yes, getting those dwarfs all working in decent harmony without too many 'No Job's poping up can be pretty chalanging. I esepecially love when I find something I need not being done and find the dwarf assigned to that a half mile away deep in the mountain hauling a recently unearthed gem back to the stockpiles x.x

Definately want to keep the exploratory mining confined to the immediate area towards the start till you got a half dozen peasents to kick around.

Pojodan

Just one thing more:

WHERE'S THE BINS?!

Good lordy! Get your carpenter pumping some out pronto!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

The screens of this game are completely unintelligible, but the logs are so entertaining I'm becoming a fan of a game I could never play!

Pojodan

Silver Jelly said:
The screens of this game are completely unintelligible, but the logs are so entertaining I'm becoming a fan of a game I could never play!
As stated before, need to know about 90% of everything you'd ever need to know about the game even to get started, part of this is making half a bloddy sense of the interface.

It's basically Dungeon Keeper, only every single bit of complexity put into the graphics was put into the game instead

Far

Far

Silver Jelly said:
The tutorials on youtube are actually helping me make sense of at least the basics right now and I'm only at number 6 problem is there are like 19 of them and they're ten minutes each.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Silver Jelly said:
What this lad said.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Bubble181 said:
Silver Jelly said:
What this lad said.
Today I found a friendly-graphics version of the game!

But my screen resolution is not compatible with this version (if I don't do some... magic stuff in one of the data files the guy that made it doesn't bother to explain "for dummies*") :_(

Here's the link for everybody that feels like Bubble or myself: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

*A.K.A., Silver Jelly

Wahad

Wahad

Does that take a whole lot more computer power to run? If not, I might just check DF out with those graphics. Also, after having seen some of the youtube tutorials, I might just get into this game and be one of the successors in this bloodline game, if I can a) get the hang of the game afore you run out of people and b) you'll have me, of course.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly said:
Bubble181 said:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm[/url]

*A.K.A., Silver Jelly[/quote:2kue491w]

really, what is this thing telling me to do?

"Note 3: DFG REQUIRES A SCREEN RESOLUTION OF 1280x1024 PIXELS! If you want to play on a smaller vertical resolution, you have to edit the data/init/init.txt accordingly. Subdivide the desired resolution by 16 to get the number of tiles (currently 64)."

I don't understand what the vertical resolution is, what does subdividing by 10 to get the number of tiles, wich currently are 64...

Could any of you download this just to check out the txt file and suggest me what to do to play with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution?

Necronic

Necronic

Silver Jelly said:
Bubble181 said:

*A.K.A., Silver Jelly[/quote:2krempkk]

Look closer at my screenshots. Wait for it.... *SLAP*, that's what I use.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Pojodan said:
Just one thing more:

WHERE'S THE BINS?!

Good lordy! Get your carpenter pumping some out pronto!
I'll be honest - I've trial-and-error'ed my way through most of what I've played (i.e. I've learned most everything by just experimentation, and a quick look at the wiki when I needed to know something that couldn't be easily ascertained). I should probably look into what these "bin" things are.

EDIT: Crap - looking back over my logs now. Some of the images I've put up are starting to break. Either my internet is taking its sweet time downloading a select few pictures, or the hosting site I used is taking offense at me removing their dumb little ad code from the bottom of each one.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Necronic said:
Silver Jelly said:
Bubble181 said:

*A.K.A., Silver Jelly
Look closer at my screenshots. Wait for it.... *SLAP*, that's what I use.[/quote:2aqjgxem]

You use this interface? All the slapping has turned back the graphics into ASCII again!

Necronic

Necronic

Bins are how you effectively manage stockpiles. Instead of having one finished good taking a spot in a stockpile, or one bar, its one bin with 5-20 of the finished goods or bars in the bin. I think bins are used for cloth, leather, finished goods, bars, blocks, not sure what else.

Edit: looking at it from what I posted it really is hard to tell its the mayday interface, but it is. Actually its not my favorite, I think I might go back to the Dystopian Rhetoric interface. Not sure just yet.

Pojodan

Silver Jelly said:
Necronic said:
Silver Jelly":ttp5no02] Today I found a friendly-graphics version of the game! But my screen resolution is not compatible with this version (if I don't do some... magic stuff in one of the data files the guy that made it doesn't bother to explain "for dummies*") :_( Here's the link for everybody that feels like Bubble or myself: [url="http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm said:

*A.K.A., Silver Jelly
Look closer at my screenshots. Wait for it.... *SLAP*, that's what I use.
You use this interface? All the slapping has turned back the graphics into ASCII again![/quote:ttp5no02]

If you go back to the first post of this thread, there's a link for this version that takes you right to downloading the file.

As far as the screen resolution goes, just run it as it comes by default, most likely it'll fit your screen just fine unless you're still running Windows 98, and if that's the case your computer sucks, get a new one :p

Chronos[Ha-G]

Necronic said:
Bins are how you effectively manage stockpiles. Instead of having one finished good taking a spot in a stockpile, or one bar, its one bin with 5-20 of the finished goods or bars in the bin. I think bins are used for cloth, leather, finished goods, bars, blocks, not sure what else.

Edit: looking at it from what I posted it really is hard to tell its the mayday interface, but it is. Actually its not my favorite, I think I might go back to the Dystopian Rhetoric interface. Not sure just yet.
Yeah, I know what they're used for - I've just never bothered to learn to use them. Should probably go look that up on the wiki now...

That reminds me. You going to continue using my rock storage system?

Necronic

Necronic

the dump? Yeah when necessary. Usually the only times I dump stone early on is to clear space for stockpiles, and you took care of that already.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Pojodan said:
If you go back to the first post of this thread, there's a link for this version that takes you right to downloading the file.

As far as the screen resolution goes, just run it as it comes by default, most likely it'll fit your screen just fine unless you're still running Windows 98, and if that's the case your computer sucks, get a new one :p
Woah, I totally missed the link!!

And it doesn't fit... the right part of the screen gets cut :_(

Necronic

Necronic

Its 1280x600 or somesuch. You could adjust your desktop screen res. Assuming you can run that res. Which if you can't......wtf kind of computer are you on?

Necronic

Necronic

Entry 4: It has been long since my last entry (it is now late summer), but there were many long term projects and other improvements that I have been waiting for their completion. We will go over them shortly. there are 2 other items I would like to discuss first though. First and foremost, we have immigrants! Within the seasons of spring and summer we have had 2 waves, giving us a total of 43 dwarves. This is a boon that has massively helped us increase our stockpiles. Here is the current state of our hoards

As you can see I am on my way to completing my goal of increasing the wealth tenfold, but not at the speed I had hoped for. Right now we have tripled it, and the year is almost half over. This will need more work. But now that the main construction modifications have been made this should be possible.

1.) The main halls have been completely renovated. The general design concept has been maintained, but there have been some modifications. This picture can show the majority of them.

In the upper left hand corner you can see where the grand dining hall has been placed. According to the dwarves that frequent it it has been called legendary. Just to the right of that is the old entrance. This has become, temporarily, a wood and bone stockpile. This may change, but will suffice for now. The old stockpile has been reworked, with much higher efficiency. The workshops surrounding it have been modified, removing all furnaces and smelters and replacing them with extra craft, carpentry, and mason shops. The old living quarters, outlined on the right hand side of the screen, have been renovated and made into a second storage and workshop area, focusing on metalworking and other crafts that did not fit into the old space. Finally on the left additional farming space has been added. This is also hopefully a temporary measure, as the distance from the stills to the farms are too far. However, on that latter note there is good news. We have beer, and we have a lot of it.

2.) The living quarters are finished.

Accomadating this many dwarves was difficult, but the migrants were well willing to sleep in the newly constructed barracks while waiting for their beds. Every non-military dwarf has a bed, and they will sleep well away from the construction. I may even one day give them back their coffers, but they must earn that right.

3.) A new, much more safe entrance has been devised.

Our chief engineer has devised a clever retractable bridge to the nearby hill, and our masons have constructed walls and flooring removing slopes to ensure that no beast may enter our fortress without crossing this bridge. If the enemy is too strong we can retract it using a lever in the nearby barracks. If anyone were to make it across this bridge, they would have to survive the gauntlet of passing through our military barracks before entering the fortress proper. In the future there will be fortifications cut into the sides of the mountains to allow for marksdwarfs to shoot out, but for now our military is composed entirely of brutal axedwarves and wrestlers, 8 in total I believe. A handful of these have even become elites. This should prevent the first goblin assaults from endangering us unnecessarily. I plan on installing traps as well, but I am concerned that a tired or drowsy dwarf returning from the long hunt will fall victim to this.

4.) Mining operations have begun in proper.

Previously the miners were digging in earnest pulling in massive quantities, but the variation of selection was not as it should have been. Iron or coal was needed immediately, and the supposed presence of Magma needed to be found. Therefore I used my traditional method and dug wide and deep.

Previous method

New method

These exploratory digs have done well so far, [strike:1qxdzq7b]finding more than one iron source[/strike:1qxdzq7b] finding copper, which is useful at least, as well as some other interesting things, such as platinum!

Now, with the business of reconstructing the foundation out of the way, leaps and bounds of progress should be made soon. Out of respect for our previous leader, Chronos, I have given him the venerable job of cutting gems and encrusting our masterpieces. He seemed a bit sad to not be working with the bones he so loved, but there would be a time for that later, and now we needed gems. Moreover, it seemed fitting that the founder of this dwarfhome should be given the second most noble job, that of the jeweler. The most noble job, the brewer, was of course taken by myself.

There is one last item to report, and this is a wonderous thing. We have an artifact.

This bucket marks our entrance into a new realm of craftsdwarfship. The dwarf who created this piece is now our sole carpenter, and every item he makes is a masterpiece. Many dwarves now sleep on beds fit for kings, and many of our stone doors are being removed to put in his oaken beauties. It bothers my beard to have too much wood in a fortress, as I said, we are not elves, but to see his works is to understand the beauty that can be found in wood.

I must rest once more, but soon there shall be more to tell. May your hoard grow as large as your beard.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Yeah - NORMALLY, I space out the digging more to get a wider swath of what's going on, and then switch to the dig every third tunnel approach for details. Don't know why I didn't this time though - perhaps I just wasn't paying full attention to the digging.

Oh, on a lighter note, MY BEAUTIFUL ROOMS! AUGH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BRILLIANT DESIGN AAAAAAAAUUUUGH

Necronic

Necronic

Entry 5- Winter has come. It is with a heavy heart I must admit that my goals will not be completed. There is no way to increase the hoard to the level I had hoped, and because of this I attempted to cut my beard off. I was stopped seconds before hand when I heard a soft meow from the corner. We have cats. I'm not sure where they came from, but these cats may be a good sign. While they have as yet not attacked me or mine yet, there are ratmen who would seek to do us harm. While they live in the chasm they have access to the outside world, and it is only a matter of time before they decide to venture into my domain. At this point they would die a swift and horrible death at the hands of my brutal military forces.

5 champions and 2 elites. While originally trained in the arts of wrestling they have now started learning the ways of the axe, the true dwarven weapon. Their wrestling training will make them all the more deadly.

The wood shortage has become a serious issue now. I cannot spare the manpower necessary to cut down and haul all the trees necessary to fuel the fires of our smelters and ironworks. I have asked the next couple caravans to bring as much wood as possible. This should help, but it is only a stopgap. The leader to follow me will have to look to the next wave of immigrants for a solid backbone of haulers, something I have not been able to attain as yet. Perhaps I spread my men too thin, too many specialists, and not enough menials.

There is one piece of excellent news, however, another mighty artifact has been forged:

This was of course scooped up quickly by one of our soldiers. May the blood of many goblins stain its links.

Here is the state of the fortress at the beginning of winter.

I have started construction on my tomb. While I was unable to meet the goals I had hoped for, I still believe that myself and Chronos deserve tombs of our own for our sacrafice to this place.

Necronic

Necronic

Entry 6: This shall be my final entry. The days have grown shorter and my eyes are getting more and more tired. I sleep more than I should, but everything seems to be going as smoothly as it can, yet there is still nothing I can do to meet my mandate. I wake from angry dreams filled with red only to go back to sleep again. Last night I woke with blood on my lips. I'm sure it was mine. I'm sure...

My soldiers, no, my warriors have proven themselves true masters of the martial arts. As we have still seen no incursion of the goblin menace I felt it was time for my boys to get some real fighting, not just grab assing on the bunks. There have been numerous sightings of ratmen outside the fort, and I will not tolerate their filthy presence. I sent my troops out and slaughtered them to a rat.

My troops came back with grins slicked with black blood. None the worse for wear I soon had another assignment for them. It seems my bonecrafter had fallen into a fey mood, and had not found all the items necessary. While I tried to give him what he needed, I also understood that if it came down to it, I would rather him die at the hands of his brothers locked in battle than locked away in a dank cell. Therefore I stationed a squad of soldiers near him as he tried to finish his work. A part of me hoped he failed, so I could see my champions in action, carving the bones of my bonecrafter. He is partially responsible for the lacking growth of my hoard is he not?

Luckily for him, he was able to find the last items he needed. After trudging across the entire map for some ratmen bones he finished his artifact. Behold, my cage of bones.

In here one day mayhaps we will hold a captured dragon. For now it is simply a fascinating piece of morbid design.

In that same sense of morbidity, I have finished my tomb. Chronos was given one as well.

I believe the name of this colony is Patterned Books. From this I consider record keeping to be an integral part to the fortress, therefore I have engraved the walls of my tomb with the images of past events. Even Chronos's rise is given homage in my tomb.

I had also hoped to finish my room, but there was simply not enough time. Hopefully whoever follows me can grant me my hoped for resting place in life now that I have one in death.

Mining has been disappointing. Still I see nothing but Olivine and Gabbro. No Hematite, limanite, or other iron bearing fruit. I worry that there will never be a real steel industry in this fortress. However, there has been an ample amount of platinum and gems, and I hope that my metalcrafter will one day be skilled enough to work the platinum. As is I focus him on the nickel, which we seem to have in endless supply. We also have a decent supply of copper. While not as good as iron it can make for decent armor. If I could ever get my wood stockpiles high enough maybe I could armor my troops in copper, but for now they wear the leather I can make and the steel items I can trade for.

Here are the final tallies:

Although I have created a stable beer and farming industry, in all I have not achieved what I had hoped for by only increasing the wealth 5 fold, and this leaves me with a black coal of anger smoldering in the furnace of my soul. Sometimes, when I drink too much that anger gets out. Last month I smashed a stonecrafter's face into the wall upon discovering he was traveling to the bottoms of my mines to find stones to work with. This didn't seem to do much in the end, but it did put a smile on my face.

If only there were some goblins to release this rage on. To split the skull of a goblin with a mighty axe and see his blood splatter on the walls is all that I want anymore.

To the dwarf who will come where I have left I ask only this. A great deal of time and effort has been put into organizing the stockpiles, and while there is still work to be done, please do not ignore the order I brought to this chaos.

Transmission Ends zhhghattat *crackle*

Necronic

Necronic

Some notes for whoever's next. A lot of the dwarves have custom job names. Most of them are standard ones, like hunter or mason, but they've been custom added to help maintain easy management. 2 guys have been given the additional title of master. These are my legendary crafters. For the carpenter I set aside a workshop that only he can use, and he isn't allowed to use the other one, remember that. Other than that (cause those could really mess you up), have fun.

Edit: Also, I don't have the software to create a .rar. What are my other options?

D

Dubyamn

I found a website that walks you through making a .rar if you're using WinRar. http://getit.rutgers.edu/tutorials/winr ... winrar.pdf

If you aren't using Winrar you can get it here http://www.rarlab.com/

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, but I don't want to pay for winrar just for this one thing. Is there another way?

Edit: nm, trial version wootah!

Necronic

Necronic

ok, here you go dubyaman. don't fuck her up

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzxwzutyx3f

Pojodan

Necronic said:

Onward and upward!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Pojodan said:
Necronic said:

Onward and upward!
They're dwarves digging a fortress in a mountain. I do believe you mean "downward".

Wahad

Wahad

That really depends - you can always dig upwards towards the mountain summit if you're in need for higher grounds for your defense.

D

Dubyamn

Granite 1st 203

Dear Mother and Father,

I hope that this letter finds you well for I am pleased beyond belief upon the writing of it for I have been selected to lead the new settlement of PatternedBooks. I was granted this honor in a bizzarre yet very solum ceremony when I was the last to shout "Not It!" But as I take over I realize that there are many problems facing our outpost of Dwarven culture and pride. To be sure our last leaders were men of vision and skill but they have failed to make out home self sufficient and it is starting to show.

I would use our clothing industry as an example but nobody has yet managed to even plant a single Pigtail seed. This failure is shown best by what our citizens are wearing.

Last night I was nearly positive I saw our master carpenter split his breeches down the seem. I have planned out a proper operation that should get the industry started though it will need to be expanded to allow for a dyeing addition when the time is right.

As my next official act I decided to inspect the brave dwarves who lay their lives on the line to protect all of dwarf kind. I expected to be greeted by massive dwarves clad in the finest armor and wielding weapons that cause enemies to bleed profusely just form the sight of them.

I really should have known better by this point. These "champions" (I don't dare use the quotations around them because they are more than able to kill me) are armed with weapons that even humans would turn down and for armor they have leather. Can you believe it father? Leather! Like they are from some barbarian human tribe.

This, this... affront to my dwarven pride can't be allowed to continue. I will attempt to armor them properly but I fear these dwarves may be to set in their ways to listen to me.

Finnally with all honor strip away from me like an elves body hair I returned to my study to check our supplies. I don't know who the last record keeper was but somebody needs to tell him that a glance at the food supplies between drunken bouts of "pinch the wench" and then writing down a rough guess on the back of the napkin your friend used to wipe his nose (I hope it was the nose!!) is not proper record keeping. If I ever find the dwarf I swear I'll shave his beard.

I of course demanded that my current record keeper keep all counts perfectly accurate and will be installing some kind of "watering system" in that ridiculous office he had built.

With all my love,
Dubyamn

PS. Deduk and Sodel are doing great. Thank you again for letting me take them with me.

Necronic

Necronic

Gah, forgot about clothes, was too busy trying to keep everyone fed.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Yeah - if I had enough Dwarves during my tenure, I would assigned one specifically to bookkeeping, and cranked his accuracy up. Since I didn't have many, though, I couldn't afford to have one dwarf park himself in his office and remove himself from any other work.

Sooo...IT'S NECRONIC'S FAULT! *Points up*

Necronic

Necronic

Actually yeah it totally is, I always forget to have a good bookkeeper.

Wahad

Wahad

Silver Jelly said:

"Note 3: DFG REQUIRES A SCREEN RESOLUTION OF 1280x1024 PIXELS! If you want to play on a smaller vertical resolution, you have to edit the data/init/init.txt accordingly. Subdivide the desired resolution by 16 to get the number of tiles (currently 64)."

I don't understand what the vertical resolution is, what does subdividing by 10 to get the number of tiles, wich currently are 64...

Could any of you download this just to check out the txt file and suggest me what to do to play with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution?
The vertical resolution for a 1024x768 resolution would be 768. It's always horizontal x vertical.

To get DFG working, you need to divide 768 by 16 (yielding a result of 48, whereas 1024 [the recommended resolution] divided by 16 yields a result of 64 [the current amount of tiles]). What you do is search the downloaded files for the init.txt (NOTE: there are also .txt files called init MAX or somesuch, don't use those, just the init.txt file) and look for the text which says [FULLGRID:80:64] Here you edit the 64 with the required amount (48 in your case) and save the file.

HOWEVER, I think it would also be advisable to chance the horizontal resolution tiles accordingly seeing as 1280 is required but you have 1024.

If this crashes the game for some reason (unlikely, but you never know) just re-install.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Wahad said:
Silver Jelly said:

The vertical resolution for a 1024x768 resolution would be 768. It's always horizontal x vertical.

To get DFG working, you need to divide 768 by 16 (yielding a result of 48, whereas 1024 [the recommended resolution] divided by 16 yields a result of 64 [the current amount of tiles]). What you do is search the downloaded files for the init.txt (NOTE: there are also .txt files called init MAX or somesuch, don't use those, just the init.txt file) and look for the text which says [FULLGRID:80:64] Here you edit the 64 with the required amount (48 in your case) and save the file.

HOWEVER, I think it would also be advisable to chance the horizontal resolution tiles accordingly seeing as 1280 is required but you have 1024.

If this crashes the game for some reason (unlikely, but you never know) just re-install.
Oh yeah, it worked!! Thanks a lot!!

Now, to try to figure out how to play this monster...

Pojodan

Silver Jelly said:
Rule #1: You will lose... a lot. But losing is fun! Keep that in mind

Rule #2: Knowing you will lose a lot, experiement.. do crazy shit like trying to build a waterfall in front of your entrance or seeing what happens when you do everything you can to make the dwarfs go insane You learn a lot in the process.

Rule #3: Get your family really mad at you so you have reason to hide away for the next month or two

F

Futureking

I haven't figured out growth and design yet. But I learnt how to sustain the dwarves. At least they won't die. That's good enough for me.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Pojodan said:
Silver Jelly said:
Rule #1: You will lose... a lot. But losing is fun! Keep that in mind

Rule #2: Knowing you will lose a lot, experiement.. do crazy shit like trying to build a waterfall in front of your entrance or seeing what happens when you do everything you can to make the dwarfs go insane You learn a lot in the process.

Rule #3: Get your family really mad at you so you have reason to hide away for the next month or two
This game is Freaking impossible. I don't even understand the basic controls...

... I think I'll stop posting in this thread, because I'm slowly discovering how stupid I am, and I'll just sit back and enjoy the chronicles of this Dwarven bloodline.

Wahad

Wahad

Silver, look up the Dwarf Fortress video tutorials by captnduck on youtube. They're a great help.

As of now, my first fortress (Axebane the Infallible Blossom of Oblivion) is up and running with only the bare minimum. Chances are I might be able to gain enough experience in time and apply for a seat in this bloodline game - or, if that fails, maybe another time.

Necronic

Necronic

We getting an update today?

Pojodan

Wahad said:
Silver, look up the Dwarf Fortress video tutorials by captnduck on youtube. They're a great help.

As of now, my first fortress (Axebane the Infallible Blossom of Oblivion) is up and running with only the bare minimum. Chances are I might be able to gain enough experience in time and apply for a seat in this bloodline game - or, if that fails, maybe another time.
One of the big things about Dwarf fortress that definately goes down as it's least intuative feature is this:
Up/Down/Left/Right can be w/s/a/d, u/m/h/k, or the arrow keys depending on where you are
Page up and down can be either PgUp/PgDn or / and *, again depending on where you are
Scroll up and scroll down can be -/+ or the arrow keys (or both!), depending on where you are.

So, basically, you have to learn what the controls are for each individual screen as they can be wildlly different than another screen.

This all goes along with my early note that in order to even get STARTED you need to know about 90% of everything you need to know, ever. Don't feel bad if it proves too daunting to be fun.

Necronic said:
We getting an update today?
Yes please.. I'm eager to get going on dis!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Pojodan said:
One of the big things about Dwarf fortress that definately goes down as it's least intuative feature is this:
Up/Down/Left/Right can be w/s/a/d, u/m/h/k, or the arrow keys depending on where you are
Page up and down can be either PgUp/PgDn or / and *, again depending on where you are
Scroll up and scroll down can be -/+ or the arrow keys (or both!), depending on where you are.
No offense, but that's just crummy design :-P

D

Dubyamn

Dear Mother and Father,

May Logem watch over you for he has surely abandoned me.

Today I awoke to cries of great disgust in the main hall.

Some creature must have died next to the alcohol supply and despite the obvious need to find whatever or whoever died dwarves instead continued o dunk themselves in the wine barrells.

... As the Miasma continued to spread. I spent most of the day fielding complaints about the smell. In the early afternoon Edem came into my room to inform me that it was infact a small lizard that stunk up our storage haul.

Of course nobody has bothered to clean it up. These dwarves are as useless as an elven made sword.

Of course the remains of lizards is not the only source of unholy stench in our home. There is the butcher's workshop. Where my fellow dwarves are hard at work butchering the animals that our hunters bring home. That is of course in a dwarven stronghold where the residents do their jobs.

No apparently the Butchers shop is nothing more than a place for the hunters to drop off their kills and the butchers to watch it as it slowly dissolves into several rotten chunks. Normally I wouldn't overly care about the wasted meat but for some daft dwarves the route through the butchers shop is some sort of grand short cut. a disgusting shortcut that let's the smell of rotting meat out into the halls but what's disgusting yourself and the rest of the camp in order to save a few seconds?

And to top it all off the only place anybody goes to hang out is the tomb of the last head dwarf.

I've wanted to seal it off for weeks now but there is never a time when the tomb isn't filled with workers shirking their duties. I had to relieve my armorer from his duties after I assigned him several armor making jobs and he casually informed me that he had no job. I've since made him head weaver and clothsmaker for his insolence.

But not everything is a complete and total elfjob. No We have finished my clothing industry and are currently making cloths for the residents.

Our first crop of Pigtails is still a little while away but I think it will turn out great. Also I have revolutionized the exploritory mining operations here. instead of the old way which revealed very little I've started running many shafts straight down instead of out. Sure it takes a long time to plan out but I believe I will be proven right.

Later I may add cross tunnels but for now I've decided this is the way we will do business in the mining game.

Necronic

Necronic

Hey man, my tomb is just where its at!

Chronos[Ha-G]

Necronic said:
Hey man, my tomb is just where its at!
I told you not to carve those nudie pictures all over your coffin. Now look what you've done!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Oh man, this game looks fun as hell... I'm watching the youtube tutorials and will be starting to play around with the game on my own soon. I probably won't be able to get in on this bloodline game but the commentary is priceless and a great read :).

D

Dubyamn

25th of Felsite

Dear Mother and Father,

With the most recent influx of immigrants our expidition leader CHronos decided the fortress was big enough to declare himself Mayor. Though I haven't found myself actually finding a reason to care. Well at least until a few days later when he declared that I could no longer export any items made of Rose gold. Which by itself isn't too bad of a declaration but I've heard that export banning is the first step of an unhappy mayor.

So I'm going to have to take some time to make him happy in order to stop a massive influx of demands and the eventual spiral into madness and him stalking the halls killing whoever he sees before he is put down by the military. I guess it's easier to just carve him out a good office and fill it with nessesities.

In other news Ast Elotkol one of our "champions" had an accident while sparring and died before anybody could get her into a hospital bed.

Of course I immidiately began a investigation into the cause of his death whether it was a all around mistake or if this was the culmination of a long held grudge. But just as my investigation was going a miner burst into my room demanding my presense to see the new vein he had found.

He had of course just struck a vein of worthless rock that is no more useful than the piles of 8000+ rocks we have infesting every inch of the fortress. Of course it was very important that I knew bout this particular find right away instead of doing my job.

After this the entire fortress decided that I needed to know everytime they stop their job to take a piss break.

Every few minutes I get another notification about somebody cancelling their job to take care of some need. It doesn't seem to be slowing at all always increasing and increasing. I think this stress is starting to effect me. I was checking out my past engravings and I found this little gem.

I had no idea that Urvad's death had such an effect on me but I find myself dwelling on it more and more these days.

Necronic

Necronic

You killed one of my champions you &%$#!

Chronos[Ha-G]

If we get any Rose Gold - IT IS PROHIBITED FROM LEAVING THE FORTRESS. I've always wanted a Rose-Gold Chalice, and seeing as how I've thus far been unable to extricate myself from this miserable dump I may as well afford myself that.

Pojodan

Dubyamn?

Yeh gonna be able to keep this up?

Necronic

Necronic

He's getting us an update every morning it looks like. Its cool

D

Dubyamn

OOC: Sorry about the time between updates life's going crazy. should be done tonight.

Dear Mother and Father,

Life here at Patterned Books is proceeding well my exploritory mining operations are proceeding at a breakneck pace thanks to the skill of my miners.

Soon I should find a wealth of metals and gems. Although all I've found are multiple veins of Platinum which is a great boon to our wealth but to the detriment of the military.

To put another win in my success column my clothing industry is maturing at great speed. My Pig Tail crop has an incredibly bounty of PigTails that will keep the looms humming with industry for decades to come. Only real downside is that nobody in the fortress is a trained clothier or a very good weaver so I've had to fill my ranks with people who have burned through their stock of raw materials for their jobs. Hopefully the next immigrants will include the dwarves nessesary to produce quality goods.

And the most glorious thing happened this morning. Went I did my daily tour of Necromonic's tomb I found that the only thing in there was a stray Muskox. I immidiatley shut and locked the door even as a group of dwarves was coming down the hall to "hang out"

No more will I have to deal with lazy dwarves admiring the fancy tomb.

But life is never the unending string of victories that we would hope for. Everybody keeps on telling me when they;re taking a piss break and they refuse to listen to me as I insist that I really don't need to know nor do I care.

Also one of our fisherdwarves has been taken by a strange mood and refuses to eat or talk to others until he gets the silk cloth he needs to complete his masterpiece. I have of course taken the precaution of stationing the squads outside the door. We'll probably need to store him in a water tight container after he's been slurried by my dwarven cuisinarts.

The last bit of news is neither good nor bad. It's just disturbing. It turns out my best hunter doesn't hunt with crossbow and bolt. He hunts his prey with nothing more than his bare hands

What makes this such an accomplishment is that it was he who hunted down and killed the mole who killed our first hunter Urvad. I can almost imagine him wrestling that killer into the air and breaking the creature over his knee covered in both the creatures blood and his own.

The fact that he has done it to 25 more creatures chills me to the bone. He has truely earned the title rackmurders.

Always with my love,
Dubyamn

Pojodan

A hunter that pounces upon and wrestles it's prey before snaping it's spine? Holy hell! Give that dwarf some nice armor pronto!

D

Dubyamn

Dear Mother and Father,

May Logem look over you. I am very sorry that I haven't written for several months you must be so worried. There has not yet been any sign of goblins near the fort but my time has been at a premium none the less. You remember how I finnally managed to seal off the tomb that was leading so many of our workers astray. However I sealed a female muskox inside which has lead to a... colony of muskox in the tomb.

We only had one merchant convoy come this year which was was far too late to save the fisherdwarf taken by a strange mood. After he failed the construction he fell into a deep depression and refused to eat, drink or take care of himself in any way. He died of starvation after refusing all attempts to make him better.

However I took care to give the merchant a very healthy profit margin in the hopes that caravans will come more often and with more goods to sell

Hopefully it worked because he left with a good 10,000 dwarfbuck profit. He did of course leave us a kings ransom in silks, and steel weapons and armor.

The next individual to fall into a mood was none other than our mayor Chronos.

He took over a jewelers shop, grabbed a single unit of raw gems and created... an entire barrel.

I have no idea how he did it how he turned a single raw gem into an entire barrel defies all rational logic. Watching him make his slap accross the second law of thermodynamics was more akin to watching a wizard than a usual gem cutter. Either way I have a legendary gem cutter as well as a jaw dropping barrel.

My term is now coming to an end. Looking back upon my term i realize that I haven't progressed to terribly much. expansion of the bedrooms has stalled, I never did carve out that new butcher's alcove that I wanted. And much of that was because my exploritory mining operation was just far too aggresive and took up too much of my miner's time and energy. Athough we did find several veins of metal ores we never found a vein of iron to start our steel production. I therefore have postponed many of the shafts and the few that are left should be done soon allowing my replacement to continue them at his disgression.

D

Dubyamn

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qztymijnywn

There's the file. Good luck Pojo.

Chronos[Ha-G]

What can I say - I really wanted a gold opal barrel.

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]What can I say - I really wanted a gold opal barrel.
You're a real gem, Chronos,, that is to say, you're a big, empty barrel :teeth:

The reason I was rush-rush earlier was due to my being gone for this weekend :waah: , but I'll get right on it as soon as I get home on Sunday, and knowing my relationship with Dwar Fortress, will likely have a long series of updates for Monday.

Edit: May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:

Chronos[Ha-G]

Pojodan said:
May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:
Only reason I used it to host mine - and I guess because of that, everyone else followed suit - is because it was the first thing to pop up when I google'd "file hosting". What's wrong with it?

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]
Pojodan said:
May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:
Only reason I used it to host mine - and I guess because of that, everyone else followed suit - is because it was the first thing to pop up when I google'd "file hosting". What's wrong with it?
Just not very intuative for how I'm supposed to use it and it kept throwing up popup adds that had that annoying 'Are you sure you want to close this?' dialogue.

Of course, finding a free file sharing service that accepts files of 10+ megs is likely difficult to do, so oh well.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Err, guys...It's called Hotmail Skydrive. It's free, easy-if-not-overly-fast, and has a file size upload limit of 50MB.
No MP3s or whatever, but I don't think that's an issue here, right?

Pojodan

Bubble181 said:
Err, guys...It's called Hotmail Skydrive. It's free, easy-if-not-overly-fast, and has a file size upload limit of 50MB.
No MP3s or whatever, but I don't think that's an issue here, right?
I'll try that one, thank you.

Pojodan

Journal of Poj Odan, Geologist 2nd class of the High King:

14th Opal, 203

Patterned Books?!

Who the bloody hell names a fortress 'Patterned Books'?

I can only hope to Armok that it was a grave misinterpritation of the founder's ramblings while he was drunk off his ass in celebration. Perhaps it was supposed to be 'Engraved Inscriptions', or something far less 'I'm a human lover and want to spend all day sitting in a high tower, withering away staring endlessly at the ramblings of some madman half a world away'

Patterned Books...

It's any wonder the High Councel has been so disppointed by the performance of the 3-year old expedition that they had to send an expert on metals and their locations within the earth. I'll be surprised if they even brought a pick with them and have been making wooden structures this whole time.

Patterned Books.....

Ugh.

2nd Obsidian, 203

My caravan has been assembled and we depart this afternoon for... Patterned Books... I swear if I see one human in a robe over the next year I'm going to personally kill someone.

28th Obsidian, 203

I'm not even going to spare the details of the last month as this is meant for official business only, but suffice to say it is damned luck I made it here alive, and wouldn't you know it that the expedition leader of this bloody place decided to set up right at the base of a near vertical mountain cliff that can be seen from every bloody goblin camp this side of the Desert Plains and is probably the first place they'd trek to find drawf encampments to raid. Great... I forsee a whole hell of a lot of problems already and I just pulled in to rest my aching feet.

At -least- they have everything underground and had the decency to have an anvil with them so I can get back to my hobby of armorsmithing. That is if some bloody iron can be located in this Armok forsaken place.. judging by the ammount of copper mail and badly dinged copper weapons this 'fortress' has equiped it's military with, I'd say we may as well call it 'Patterned gravestones' for all the good such a soft metal will do for protecting dwarfs from goblin weapons, shoddy as they may be. I saw a few steel items, but I'm betting they were traded for.

The entrance had a decent smattering of traps and looks promising for some good defence when the goblins inevitably follow all the obvious indications of a fortress and come to attack, though I've seen no sign of any ballistas nor proper placements for any, though the present barraks looks like it could be converted to a ballista firing range without much trouble.

As far as my geological impressions so far, the mountain cliffs are clearly felsite, and where there's felsite, there's hematite, not that there isn't already enough red here, what with red sand being tracked all over the place. At least a decent glassworks can be put in motion before I end my term here. Much of the Fortress interior was Orthoclase and Gabbro, which is odd to see together, but it means that the fortress sits upon a fault line between different rock plates, which is good as it means we'll have a nice variety of ores and gems. The stairway leading down to the dorms was largely chalk, which is a HUGE releif as any fortress without flux matterial is downright worthless. Can't say Chalk is my favorite flux, give me Dolomite any day, but it'll do and makes steel just as well. With any luck the Orthoclase I mentioned is a sign of some zinc deposits so we can get some nice brass sculptures for the dining hall.

My first irritation, though, is that the dormatory was built both half in a microcline vein, who's bright blue would drive any decent dwarf insane, and that it's directly below the workshop area, and I can hear dwarfs stomping around up there, even through all this Gabbro and chalk.

Sigh.... Patterned Books... here's hoping the books are in order around here.

Pojodan

1st Granite, 204

Happy New Year, the first day of my official position, and what am I greeted with by the miners when I ask for their present mining operation?

This:

I... can't even begin to describe just how depressed this makes me.

With Only a couple tetrahedrite and garnierite veins and one small gold vein found so far they're already set to strip mining an area of Gabbro that had, so far, yielded a few small pockets of platium and fire opal. This certainly isn't a bad thing, but mighty Armok! We don't even have any iron veins yet! And Gabbro doesn't even contain iron. Did the previous overseers of this project even read a book?

From the way some of my predecessors write, I'd say no, especially with the way they like to correct themselves to be more politically correct.

What. The. Hell.

A dwarf speeks is mind, Armok damn it!

From this point forth, all attempts at shaddowing the truth will be axed in favor of more dwarven language.

Ahem.

This is how you search for iron veins, [strike:x4b460f8]my fellow dwarves[/strike:x4b460f8] you ignorant codpieces.

And who's bloody idea was it to fill the stocks with WINE?!?

Wine is for [strike:x4b460f8]mellow, relaxed[/strike:x4b460f8] pansy ass dwarfs and we've got the whole bloody fort swimming in it! I've ordered all Plump Helmets fit only for eating so this wine deluge can be put to an end.

At least the [strike:x4b460f8]last ruler[/strike:x4b460f8] previous idiot had the smarts to keep the records up to date:

So while all of that booze is [strike:x4b460f8]wine[/strike:x4b460f8] sissy juice, at least we're not forced to stoop to drinking from the rather poorly designed cistern located smack in the middle of the workshop area:

And what's worse, the fellows in the workshops where climbing over piles of finished goods to do their work! Look at this!

My first order of my term was to shut down ALL work and put EVERYONE on hauling duty to clean up this [strike:x4b460f8]fortress[/strike:x4b460f8] sandy maze of passy asses.

My headache wasn't helped any when I was shown the finer works of the local craftsdwarfs:

Two buckets, a barrel, and a cage. No doubt quite useful for [strike:x4b460f8]holding the spoils of the earth[/strike:x4b460f8] letting the male dwarfs gather, two-by two together and cuddle while quaffing Armok's gift towards elf lovers.

I need an ale.... NOW

Pojodan

5th Slate, 204

I cannot begin to express just how [strike:3k138tu7]annoyed[/strike:3k138tu7] pissed off I am about just how cluttered this [strike:3k138tu7]fortress[/strike:3k138tu7] garbage heap has become!

The lack of magma leaves me unable to find valid reason to not assist with the clean-up effort, so I'm trudging around, sorting crap all day long.

The miners [strike:3k138tu7]were being difficult[/strike:3k138tu7] pissed me off to no end by being stubborn about their strip mining effort, refusing to set into the iron-rich sedimentary layers untill I finally just outright destoryed the plans for the previous mining operation and told them, in no simpler terms, that it was my way or [strike:3k138tu7]else[/strike:3k138tu7] the chasm.

Speaking of the chasm, I noticed an odd stench and noted that the ratmen seemed to have gone innactive.. maybe we somehow cut off their food source and they died off? I can only hope.. one less annoyance to deal with.

The muskoxen, however, seem determined to be underfoot.. that is to say, taking up the ENTIRE WIDTH of the mining shafts as they dwadle around, repoducing like rabbits. I finally decided enough was enough and put a few of the cages laying around to good use and had the oxen caged up till further notice. The huntsmen keep dragging in goats for slaughter, so might as well save the tame animals for if we get in trouble.

Things are starting to get in shape around here, though clearly I need to setup some larger stockpile areas as we're overflowing with some items, like barrels and bins (Which is a good thing, for sure), and booze (A very good thing, esepcially since a third of it is ale, a third rum, the rest of the wine, which I'm glad to say that most of the dwarfs seemed to ween themselves from pretty quick once the harder liquors started flowing.)

The miners have been chipping away at the chalk layer I specified at last, and I send one out to scale the cliffside to dig a shaft and see if he can determine if there's any magma in that vicinity... so far, no luck.

I found the fellow that fancies himself a cook hiding away in one of the craft stations a few days ago and he refused to help clean up till he was finished. Not having the energy to fight it I left him be, and what did he produce this morning?:

A scepter. made of bones, rat leather, and rock. As utterly worthless this item is, I cannot help but be impressed by the quality of it. Seems the experience really enlightened him on the nature of rock and the couple of chalk items he made as I watched were amazing. I'll be setting up a special shop for this fellow so he can crank out all the chalk junk he wants.. won't hurt getting the trade caravans to cough up some useful stuff, and maybe if we do find some obsidian I can have him put together some obsidian swords, which was downright deadly when made properly. Will get some copper swords made right away for practise.

Only other items of note was getting some decent leather armor crafted, which is no better than bronze chain mail, perhaps, but at least the fighters can look consistant till I can start producing some proper iron and steel for them.

Chronos has been bitching about not having a good enough office to work in, which only serves to remind me that if we -do- strike iron the King will surely send a Baron to come and [strike:3k138tu7]help me organize this place[/strike:3k138tu7] give me more stupid problems to tend to.

I hope he likes Chalk.

Pojodan

You know what I just now realized?

Our fort does not have access to ANY other civilization! I'd need to do some playing around to figure out why, but in over 3 years there have been NO humans, elves, goblins, or kobolds, which means the only threat to the fortress in any way in megabeasts (dragons, titans, collossi) which are, as I understand, wimpy.

I'll also note that the land area is HUGE. What is it, 8x8? It's making my PC crawl and doing any mining out towards the edges of the map takes my miners to long to get to that they stop for a drink before digging very much =/

I'd hate to call a mulligan at this point, but as it is we're basically gonna be twiddling our thumbs waiting for the yearly dwarf caravan and the off chance that a dragon shows up.

Pojodan

Backed up my save game and then abandoned so I could check the legends and map. Sure enough, goblins and kobolds have been wiped off the face of the planet while humans and elves only populate small areas, none of which are anywhere near our fortress.

With all the ratmen gone, this place is gonna be pretty dull and a massive memory hog to boot (Checked the Reclaim feature and turns out the plot was 12X12!)

I vote we start over, this time with a 4x4 or 3x5 plot on a newly gened world that actually has stuff for us to deal with.

D

Dubyamn

Really? No goblins?

If there are no goblins then no real threat to the fortress. I'm all for a start over.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I'll keep reading your updates, goblins or not.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Crap. Out of all the starting areas I made, the only one I find passable has no hindrances whatsoever. Errr - sorry.

If we start-over, I'd prefer if someone else started it - While, honestly, I liked everything else about starting it (Original floor plan to the fortress, initial set of problems/conditions, etc.), I'm notoriously picky when it comes to a starting area - I eventually gave up after N number of times trying to find a suitable one, and that's why the area is so large for this one - couldn't find "everything" closer together.

D

Dubyamn

I'd like change my vote to start up a new one while keeping this one going. Just because we've taken the time and we still have the possibility to find Hidden Super Fun.

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]Crap. Out of all the starting areas I made, the only one I find passable has no hindrances whatsoever. Errr - sorry.

If we start-over, I'd prefer if someone else started it - While, honestly, I liked everything else about starting it (Original floor plan to the fortress, initial set of problems/conditions, etc.), I'm notoriously picky when it comes to a starting area - I eventually gave up after N number of times trying to find a suitable one, and that's why the area is so large for this one - couldn't find "everything" closer together.
Understandable, site locating is probably the most annoying part of Dwarf Fortress since the stuff you want for long term fortresses (Magma, sand, iron, flux) have a tendancy to NOT be next to each other.

I volunteer to be the first for a new venture.

I'd like change my vote to start up a new one while keeping this one going. Just because we've taken the time and we still have the possibility to find Hidden Super Fun.
I searched for that, too, and there isn't any at this location either :waah:

The biggest issue with the current fort is that the plot size is 12x12, and Dwarf Fortress' pathfinding algorym gets exponentially more of a resource hog for every additional 'unit' of area a plot has. My PC is a dual core, 2.17 Ghz, 2GB memory strong-arm and I'm getting 5-10 FPS with often stutters with this current fortress and it's 84 dwarfs and dozen or so animals running around. Anyone that doesn't have a faster PC after me will be highly frustrated by the painfully slow performance.

And no worries Chronos, as they say 'Losing is fun!' :teeth:

D

Dubyamn

Bah no Hidden Super Fun? Well I say we toss the fort to the curb like a prom night pregnancy.

Good luck f finding a good location for our newest death trap of a fort.