Disney Remaking Yellow Submarine

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58233

Disney and Zemeckis Remaking Yellow Submarine Source:The Hollywood Reporter August 20, 2009

Robert Zemeckis is negotiations to direct a remake of Yellow Submarine for Disney, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Yellow Submarine was a 1968 animated feature based on music by the Beatles. It was produced by United Artists and King Features Syndicate.

Like all Zemeckis productions, the film would be done in performance capture and would also be a digital 3D endeavor.

The original is about a soldier called Old Fred who meets up with the Beatles and travels in a yellow submersible to Pepperland. Among the group's encounters are the Blue Meanies, music-hating creatures.
Yeah, this is one I don't see much of a point in remaking. Now, for the more pressing question: what reaction shall Calleja have to this news?

Oh this is not a good idea. Not a good idea at all.

The original is a product of its own time, it really doesn't work outside of the 60's context... it would freak kids today OUT. I know it cause it freaked ME out the first time I saw it.

I will contest that this could be a win if, and only if, they do not actually record a new soundtrack, but rather use the existing soundtrack verbatim as it is in the original, and simply create a new face for it using motion capture.

Well... if they do something ala LOVE with stunning visuals... maybe.

They'd have to forget about trying to have a coherent, connected plot though.

Calleja said:
Well... if they do something ala LOVE with stunning visuals... maybe.

They'd have to forget about trying to have a coherent, connected plot though.
Michael Bay?
:tumbleweed:

It should be done by some other company than Disney. I never saw the original, but a remake should play up the acid trip angle. So it should be at least a PG-13 film.

why would a trippy movie have to be PG-13?

man, the best trippy movies are G.

Remember, you don't have to SHOW drug use. There's nothing PG-13 about psychedelic colors and situations and swirls and stuff.

K

kaykordeath

Calleja said:
it would freak kids today OUT. I know it cause it freaked ME out the first time I saw it.
I dunno. My 9 year old loves it and has been watching it from time to time for the last 2 or 3 years now...

ElJuski

Staff member
I wish Zemeckis would stop being a crazy super-villain with an obsession for shitty cg technology.

Motion Capture makes this a bad idea.

I wouldn't mind it if this were the next project in line for Disney's return to traditional animation. But mo-cap? Ew.

I think they should get the guys from Robot Chicken to do it all in their style of animation. That would rock and be trippy enough to do it justice.

but guys, think of the suspense possible in this remake.

Do they all live in a yellow submarine?
Just what kind of land would a no-one-man live in? And what kind of plans would he make?

I will watch it and my eyes will SALIVATE FOR MORE

My fangirl love for Robert Zemeckis has been shattered. Fuck's sake, Heinz Edelmann died only one month ago. (I already raged about this elsewhere but oh well.)

This could get 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and I still won't go.

Actually, I think the animation in Beowulf wasn't that bad, it didn't bother me at all, like it did in Polar Express.

The rest of the movie bothered me, though.

Calleja said:
it would freak kids today OUT. I know it cause it freaked ME out the first time I saw it.
So what you actually mean is, "It would freak out those kids today who are like me when I was a kid."

I loved it immensely. No freak-outs. I have Blue Meanie bookends around my Holocaust literature section.

Calleja said:
Yeah but you saw it closer to it's original release time :tongue: :D
Not gonna argue that but I'm sure when I saw it, I was around the same age you were when you saw it. You really underestimate the capacity of many kids to easily handle stuff that some kids can't.

Yeah, but kids' movies change with the times. The movies of even the 80's that were directed at kids were much more scarier than the kid movies today. Some even had mild profanity, which would NEVER, EVER happen today.

That was my point, I was not talking about particular kids and their personal sensitivities, I'm talking about cultural tendencies of the time.

I used to love PeeWee's Playhouse as a kid... there was an episode on some dubbed channel playing the other day and my 4 year old cousin got scared SHITLESS by watching just the intro. The poor dude has grown up watching nothing but Nick Jr and Discovery Kids and the like. It's like children get their entertainment more and more chewed and digested before it's poured into their mouths, as time passes.

A

Aisaku

wot :bush: ?!

Also I have no idea where you're going with the Goonies... there's nothing that wouldn't be targeted to... *remembers blender scene* Erm... Ye Gods, what has Hollywood come to?

Calleja said:
Yeah, but kids' movies change with the times. The movies of even the 80's that were directed at kids were much more scarier than the kid movies today. Some even had mild profanity, which would NEVER, EVER happen today.

That was my point, I was not talking about particular kids and their personal sensitivities, I'm talking about cultural tendencies of the time.

I used to love PeeWee's Playhouse as a kid... there was an episode on some dubbed channel playing the other day and my 4 year old cousin got scared SHITLESS by watching just the intro. The poor dude has grown up watching nothing but Nick Jr and Discovery Kids and the like. It's like children get their entertainment more and more chewed and digested before it's poured into their mouths, as time passes.
I feel your theory on this might be a bit flawed, and maybe your 4-year old cousin is just a wee bit too fragile for the likes of Pee-Wee's insanity. Truthfully I can't watch the show anymore without wondering how in the hell I liked it in the first place, as it's just over silly bafoonery. Ah. Wait. That IS why I liked it.

Children's entertainment has changed, yes. But not for the reasons you think. If anything kids today are much more "adult" than we were years ago. Properly written children's entertainment takes that into account and tries to avoid treating children "like children". But why the lack of swear words in entertainment today? Because Pixar proved you didn't need it. Even Dreamworks animation does a great job of putting sexual innuendo right in front of the kids' faces and they don't even realize it.

The 80's had the worst kind of television censorship regarding cartoons. Even the image of a forest fire was likely to get the episode pulled if it aired on the wrong network. When they were allowed to make feature films of these cartoons they got to be a little more "creative". Saying the S word once was a cheap method of getting kids to adore the movie, because their favorite saturday morning character just cussed.
Back then, a cuss word was so rare and guarded by the adults that the meer utterance of one got a giggle out of us, guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.