[D&D] Schizo character question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gadzooks

So i wanna try to have a schizco character in a modern campaign i'm playing. I'm trying to balance it out a bit, but heres how i'm thinking of doing it.

3 character sheets.

Soldier
Field Medic
Personality

I switch between the 3 "personalities" (character sheets) at random. I'd only have one gearset, which would probably default to what my medic would carry, but i'd have some kind of weapon as well. Each one has its way of dealing with things, killing before they do damage, heal the damage, or avoid damage by swaying them (i think thats how personality sheet will work)

Problems

HP - can't be switching this up if my soldier has more than my medic or vice versa, so i'd probably go with the lowest hp of the 3, or average, all the time.

When to Switch - need a trigger, not too often, not too far apart.

Anything else you can think of. My goal with this post is to get more insight into not making a schiczo character too strong or weak.

I've contimplated this idea before as well. Never went with it but the theory is sound. The way I figure it, three character sheets are a great way to pull it off but with a few restrictions.

1) Choose the base personality. In other words the person you started out as.
2) No stat on the alternate personalities can be more or less than 3 of the base personality's stat. While real-world cases of alternate personalities do include changes in strength, intelligence, etc it should be pretty clear there is only so much one body can accomplish. Just because one personality can tap into that hidden reserve of strength that your base personality didn't know he had, doesn't mean he can turn into a rippling muscle killing machine.
And 3) There has to be some sort of trigger that changes your personality. This could be as simple as a random roll of the dice, to the DM deciding what personality has decided to surface given the current situation in game. You should NOT be able to decide on this change yourself otherwise it will be too convenient. This is a mental sickness after all. It's not supposed to give you the advantage all the time.

As far as things like Hit Points... I think it makes sense to have different hit points for each class. Hit points are more than just how long it takes you to die. They represent your character's will to live and his ability to withstand damage. When you watch a movie and you see Bruce Willis get the crap beat out of him and yet still live to give a one-liner when he kills the villain you're just watching his "hit points" deplete. It could be as mild as being winded from a punch to the gut, to a stab in the leg. But Bruce Willis is going to be able to take more of that then say some librarian geek.
The difference in hit points between your personalities would just be a side effect of mind over matter. Your field medic will probably be more frail than your soldier just because he thinks he is. So that should be represented with a change in hit points.

Roleplaying possibilities are endless.

G

Gadzooks

yeah, i definitly don't want any control over when i switch personalities. I hope the DM also doesnt take those liberities, which is why i would like some trigger other than just rolling. Maybe stress or something. My friend suggested getting hit in the head, but thats too exploitable.

Your thoughts on HP are actually pretty good, the only problem i forsee is if i somehow switch mid combat. Not often, but as you said, the rping possibilities are endless

doomdragon6

Staff member
I would have to say the only fair way to do this is with a roll of the dice, and even then, the dice chooses which one you are.

Because technically, you're already way imbalanced in terms of D&D rules. In one game I play a Doppelganger (shapeshifting powers) and your stats don't change -at all-. I could shapechange into a minotaur and I get no more strength or any more abilities. They're all cosmetic.

Do I believe that Shapechanging should come with a stat change? Yes. But unless your DM agrees to it, the rules are in place for balance.

Granted, the game tells you that if you don't like rules, change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.