Community Made Left 4 Dead Campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Has anyone else found good fan made L4D maps? I've played two so far, and...

Dam it! is pretty good, but short. It's just one long level, but it's got two crescendo events and a climax. Rescue by helicopter. Nothing really special, but it's a nice change from the 4 maps I've played dozens of times each.

The real gem is:

Death Aboard is absolutely fantastic. Lots of cool surprises. The 5 level campaign starts out in a prison, but the 4th level shakes things up with a level aboard a crashed container ship. Floors are tilted at all sorts of crazy angles, and it makes handling the horde more difficult. The final level takes place on a craggy cliff side with a crumbling house at the top. I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say I absolutely did not see the ending coming.

EDIT: I played each once through in campaign mode. I don't know if either works in versus.

I've heard Dead City is good as well, but I haven't been able to find a finished VPK file yet.

If you bought it on the xbox, well it sucks to be you as you will get jack squat for all custom content.

I played Death Aboard last night as well and it was pretty solid. It's not as well done as a valve campaign (as sometimes the special infected will be bugged and killing themselves at a distance) but the amount of effort is INCREDIBLE. Well done.

We also played "Silent Hill". We were huge fans of the series and excited. Mind you, the camapign is still in beta but it revolves around a survival horror. You'll need to find items, solve puzzles to move on. It changes things and the maps are NOT linear.... and HUGEEEEEE but well done. We had a great time. (3 of 5 are complete, last 2 are a WIP and he'll prolly need to tweak stuff.)

We'll prolly play tonight some more.

A lot of campaigns are available but none are "truly complete" yet. In a few weeks I guess.

Looking forward to the mall one coming soon. :)

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Chazwozel said:
I want a Dawn of the Dead Monroeville mall one.
I remember reading in a magazine that someone was trying to do something like that - their idea was to make a mall level that had the same 1st and 5th levels, but the 2nd-4th were variable; there's supposed to be something like 3 different maps that each stage could pull from, so that each run through could be very different. Haven't heard about that in a while, though.

S

Selgeron

I'm really disappointed that I can't get these on xbox... I guess this is what I have to pay for couch camaraderie

C

Chibibar

Selgeron said:
I'm really disappointed that I can't get these on xbox... I guess this is what I have to pay for couch camaraderie
Well... consoles has never truly been "community mod" friendly :( that is the big draw toward PC version.

I do believe some Fallout 3 mods CAN work with Xbox360 (so I'm told.. I can totally be wrong about it) I know that DLC content does work, but not sure about community tweaks.

I got Left 4 Dead for the PC mainly I can control my character a littler better than game controller plus I love custom content (I got L4D late)

I don't think I'd ever play a FPS on a console if I had the option of PC. It's almost as bad as playing an RTS on a controller.... :eek:rly:

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
I don't think I'd ever play a FPS on a console if I had the option of PC. It's almost as bad as playing an RTS on a controller.... :eek:rly:
LOL... like Starcraft ;) originally the dev was trying to design for the console. That didn't turn out well.

I do love FPS game on the PC. I know that some people here believe that PC gaming is dying, but as long the PC can handle custom content, I think it will be around for a while. Console is not design to handle that kind of stuff (for now) I think mainly it would have to open file system to the public which could be a bad thing I guess.

I will be trying out these new levels with Left 4 Dead. Looks AWESOME

Chibibar said:
If we're on at the same time, we should team up for it. BOOM HEADSHOT!

I really wish the Sniper Rifle was more helpful in L4D though, as it stands right now all it's good for is Special Infected sniping.

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Chibibar said:
If we're on at the same time, we should team up for it. BOOM HEADSHOT!

I really wish the Sniper Rifle was more helpful in L4D though, as it stands right now all it's good for is Special Infected sniping.
plus the "director" hates you for it ;)

figmentPez

Staff member
Shegokigo said:
Yeah. Even though I love the hunting rifle for campaign, I never use it for versus because it's so hard to move fast and use it properly. I did learn some interesting things about the weapons in this thread on the Steam forums Left 4 Dead - Statistics & FAQs. The most important points are that the assault rifle, uzi and pistols can only hit 2 infected with any given bullet. The shotguns and hunting rifle have infinite penetration, those bullets will just keep passing through common infected until they hit a wall. Combine that with the fact that the hunting rifle has instant death on common infected from a hit anywhere on the body and it becomes very good at covering choke points like hallways, stairwells, etc. Doesn't occur often, but I've cleared a hallway full of infected with less than a half dozen shots. Auto-shotgun could do the same thing, though.

Other points of interest:
- Assault Rifle and Hunting Rifle both have extra wall penetration (1.7" versus 1.0" for all other guns)
- Shotguns don't do extra headshot damage except on witches
- Dual Pistols do more damage per second than the Uzi, but they do it with fewer shots, longer reload time and, I think, less accuracy (takes almost the same time to empty the clips of the pistols as it does to empty the clip of the Uzi)
- Hunting rifle damage doesn't decrease with distance, as all other weapons do

C

Chibibar

I love going dual pistols (especially in survival mode) I can last a long while with dual pistol and auto shotty :)

Ok, I just watched the Finale for Dead Aboard... that was incredibly corny, but very original. I never would have though of using THAT as an escape route.

C

Chibibar

I finally get to play it. Of course only 4 out of 5 stages are done (play all 4) it is not bad. I was trying to invite people into the game, but I wonder, if I start the game using ~ map l4d_deathaboard01_prison does that set up as network game or single player?

I try to setup a server to run it, but since it is not complete, the code mess the server up (it won't recognize all the pieces)

Sorry Chibi, I was engaged in some clan scrimmages last night, I saw your invite though, toss me another one next time you try and get it up and running though.

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Sorry Chibi, I was engaged in some clan scrimmages last night, I saw your invite though, toss me another one next time you try and get it up and running though.
no worries :) I'll give another shot tonight. I might have to change some of the mission file so maybe I can get it run on the server :)

Chibibar said:
I finally get to play it. Of course only 4 out of 5 stages are done (play all 4) it is not bad. I was trying to invite people into the game, but I wonder, if I start the game using ~ map l4d_deathaboard01_prison does that set up as network game or single player?

I try to setup a server to run it, but since it is not complete, the code mess the server up (it won't recognize all the pieces)
Um... the campaign is done, I played it all including the finale with some friends. The finale ROCKS.

C

Chibibar

SeriousJay said:
Chibibar said:

Um... the campaign is done, I played it all including the finale with some friends. The finale ROCKS.
weird. I install new from the site and map 5 was missing (not done) I'll redownload and double check it.
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=33 still say Beta 5.1
and found the right version

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option ... kageId=156

version 6.0 :) will update tonight.

C

Chibibar

I wonder, if I start this game via create a lobby and then choose to start (but didn't start the server) when it ask to run locally, does it work? I mean can other users connect to it or I need to start a server to host it?

Also, I can choose the map rotation, but the server (even when I only have death aboard and silent hill 3 in the map rotation) I notice random players can start any other map with no problem on my server.

C

Chibibar

Well. I discover it kinda works last night.

I start a new game (with Resident Evil map) and no server running, it couldn't find any server and ask me if I want to host it. The moment I host it, couple of players jumped in. Of course I don't know why, there is ALWAYS one person joining has to do a bunch of death scream and such (totally annoying) and we have to vote kick him/her. Of course there are lots of time where a player just join and suicide (like in 1st stage of No Mercy)

Status
Not open for further replies.